An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carthusian Nuns

sistersintigo

sistersintigo

[quote name='abrideofChrist' timestamp='1282871722' post='2163815']
Could you support this statement? I find it extremely surprising that the Norbertine cloistered sisters would have preserved the consecration of virgins for two reasons. First, the consecration requires conferral by the local bishop (not an abbot). To my knowledge, the bishop of Fresno (the only one besides the Pope who could approve of their consecration) has never conferred the consecration upon them. Second, since their superior is ineligible as she is a grandmother (therefore not a virgin), I would guess it unlikely that she would permit the virgin members of the community to receive the consecration. This consecration is considered the crowning glory of religious but not all are able to receive it.
[/quote]
You have a point, regarding the Tehachapi community of women, supported by the St Michael's Abbey of Norbertine men. Most probably you are correct that in this new young community, the consecration of virgins is not on their agenda. They are still solidifying a new foundation.
I would be careful, though, about generalizing about centuries of Norbertine nuns in Europe based upon the diocese of Fresno, California. As ortus's post points out, the statement that Norbertine nuns preserve the rite of virginal consecration has documentation to support it, in the context of European history.