An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmel Of Jesus Mary And Joseph

Margaret Mary

Margaret Mary

Hello, I came across the website for the Carmel of Jesus Mary and Joseph in NE. There is not a lot of information online about this community and I was wondering if anyone knows anything more about them. Any information would be appreciated!

God bless!
Margaret Mary

JMJ
Several girls from my community have entered here. They are incredibly holy nuns, and are headed by a saintly mother superior. Reverend mother is in her 70-80's (I beg pardon, I can't remember!) they live on about a hundred acres of land or so in Nebraska, and live a traditional Carmelite life. The postulants wear a white veil, like the Nashville Dominicans, with a jumber, and a cape. The novices and professed sisters are identical to Saint Theresa of Avila, to include the enclosure veils. I believe if you call ahead, you can arrange a visit in the parlour with Reverend Mother. They have two parlours, with the double grills, which are six inches apart. They have the latin Mass, which is provided by the FSSP and the seminarians from OLG Seminary. They don't wear rope sandals, as they found in their climate and for their needs, Burkenstocks were practical. Their chapel has a High altar, awith a Communion grate on one side, and a second grate on the other. The sisters have an extern, who will come to the turn when you press the button. A family lives on the monastery grouds, the dad is a doctor, and the family plans the receptions, and assist the nuns, etc.. One of the girls there has allergies, and was not required to sleep on a hay mattress, which to me shows how understanding the Reverend Mother is. We have heard that the food is exeptionally good, which to me is a bonus! If you questions, I will either try to answer them, or pose them to the mums of the girls in the monastery.
Semper Fi,

Tridenteen

Freudentaumel

They founded a daughterhouse in Elysburg not too long ago. [url=http://www.wnep.com/news/countybycounty/wnep-numb-nuns-carmelite-nebraska,0,1794214.story]Here[/url] is a video about that event. AFAIK it is the only video that shows some of these nuns and they normally don't allow this. Notice that you never see their faces.

Margaret Mary

Thanks everyone for your informative replies. Does anyone know their daily schedule? If so, could you post it? Thanks!

[quote name='KeenanParkerII' date='16 February 2010 - 07:40 PM' timestamp='1266367226' post='2058116']
I know this sounds awkward coming from a dude, but I like their habits. >__>
[/quote]

That's fine. Just don't try to discern with them. :D

[quote name='Freudentaumel' date='16 February 2010 - 04:56 PM' timestamp='1266357399' post='2058025']
[url=http://www.wnep.com/news/countybycounty/wnep-numb-nuns-carmelite-nebraska,0,1794214.story]Here[/url]
[/quote]

I found that opening commercial amusing. :lol:

• 2 years later...
Freudentaumel

[url="http://airmaria.com/?sn=132&vp=28109&prefx=finews&plyrnb=1&ttl=Fi"]Here is a video[/url] of a girl entering the Carmel of Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Edited by Freudentaumel

maximillion

Wow! Thanks for that. Its my understanding that in most Carmels the Entrance is a very private 'in house' affair. Lovely to see. I also counted 22 white veils. Is this a community where junior professed continue to wear white veils?

[quote name='Freudentaumel' timestamp='1336543996' post='2429007']
[url="http://airmaria.com/?sn=132&vp=28109&prefx=finews&plyrnb=1&ttl=Fi"]Here is a video[/url] of a girl entering the Carmel of Jesus, Mary and Joseph.
[/quote]

How lovely. One of those things I never thought I'd see - now I have. God grant her all good things.

reminiscere

Yes. AFAIK, the Mexican Carmels do this, except for the externs who are veiled after First Profession.
[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1336547918' post='2429017']
Is this a community where junior professed continue to wear white veils?
[/quote]