An Old School Catholic Message Board

Habit (Veils) Catalog

laetitia crucis

laetitia crucis

[quote name='FSM Sister' date='23 March 2010 - 10:25 PM' timestamp='1269393939' post='2078712']
Funny thing someone should mention airport security. I have to fly [size="2"][size="5"][size="2"]two or three times a year[font="Segoe UI"][size="1"][font="Segoe UI"][size="1"][font="Verdana"], [size="2"][img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/annoyed.gif[/img][size="2"]and I always get pulled aside and patted down. They tell me it's because of my "loose clothing." Does this happen everyone else?[/size] [/size][/font]

[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/size][/size]
[/quote]

That happened to me EVERY SINGLE TIME I flew anywhere in my habit. LAX, Sydney, JFK, LaGuardia, etc... at least I was never made to take my veil off. (Praise God!)

Edited by laetitia crucis

As a lay woman who flies wearing jeans and a blouse I get patted down almost all the time lately It seems they have really stepped it up in the last two years too. I will have my belt off, shoes off, nothing metal on me, my liquids in a baggy everything perfect and they still pat me down right after I walk through the metal detector so I chalk it up to procedure. Ive noticed they do that to everyone in the line as well even employees. Also recently I noticed they`ve started hand searching all carry on bags too. What Ive described has happened to me in Canada, Rome, Paris, and maybe the US I dont remember. Japan is probably the only place I havent been patted down but I have been swept with that hand held metal detector and had my bags searched.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='24 March 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1269395426' post='2078725']
That happened to me EVERY SINGLE TIME I flew anywhere in my habit. LAX, Sydney, JFK, LaGuardia, etc... at least I was never made to take my veil off. (Praise God!)
[/quote]

I think you`ll like this then.

[media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCX2JjqLOGk"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jCX2JjqLOGk[/url][/media]

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='23 March 2010 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1269395426' post='2078725']
at least I was never made to take my veil off. (Praise God!)
[/quote]

We all got "patted down" when we went through airport security, but one poor Sister who kept setting off the metal detector had to go into a little room and take her veil off (she could keep her cap on since there is no metal in the cap, only in the band holding the veil). It was terrible, the Sisters were all very upset about that ... but there was nothing we could do! :unsure:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='23 March 2010 - 11:01 PM' timestamp='1269396096' post='2078733']
I think you`ll like this then.

[media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCX2JjqLOGk"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jCX2JjqLOGk[/url][/media]
[/quote]

That flight attendant was HILARIOUS! :twothumbsup: I love when people have such a good sense of humour about things that can often become so mundane or tedious. God bless that man! :lol:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='23 March 2010 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1269401001' post='2078778']
That flight attendant was HILARIOUS! :twothumbsup:
[/quote]

I wish more flight attendants would do that!!!!!!!!!!!!

IgnatiusofLoyola

I spent many years writing about federal legislation, so I traveled to Washington D.C. a lot. Even before 9/11 the House of Representatives office buildings had their metal detectors set to the highest level I'd ever seen.

On one trip, I was visiting a member of Congress with 3 male lawyers. Of course, I was trying to come across as business-like and professional. The three men made it through security with no problems. I kept setting off the metal dectector. After I'd removed all the clothing I could remove without being arrested for exposing myself, the security guard realized that the problem was with the wire in my bra! So much for being business-like and professional. The guys, of course, thought it was hilarious. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/paperbag.gif[/img]

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='linnie' date='23 March 2010 - 03:51 PM' timestamp='1269381098' post='2078562']
Since the subject has sorta migrated from veils to pockets :rolleyes: I've got a question. I understood that there are guidelines to what a sister can carry in her habit's pockets. A kleenex, a rosary, etc. Is that true? I know what's in my purse :shock: What do sisters carry in their pockets?

blessings, linnie
[/quote]

We didn't really have "guidelines" but we were encouraged to not turn our pockets into junk drawers... :lol:

Personally, I kept a little rosary pouch with a Rosary, a Chaplet of the Child Jesus, and a Chaplet of the Precious Blood... which I never prayed as often as I meant to... :sigh:

I also kept a little New Testament that the assistant novice mistress gave all of the novices that I also sort of used as my "prayerbook"--just sticking some holy cards I made of my favorite prayers... which sadly I lost a few weeks after I came home. :sadder: I left it in the pew at church and it was never turned in. I hope someone is putting it to good use, but I imagine they found the holy cards to be a little goofy...

a little notepad & pen

a little swiss army knife thing...

If I was out shopping I often was the one to carry the cell phone, and sometimes a walkie talkie, depending on where we were going.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='zunshynn' date='24 March 2010 - 02:54 AM' timestamp='1269410068' post='2078866']

I also kept a little New Testament that the assistant novice mistress gave all of the novices that I also sort of used as my "prayerbook"--just sticking some holy cards I made of my favorite prayers... which sadly I lost a few weeks after I came home. :sadder: I left it in the pew at church and it was never turned in. I hope someone is putting it to good use, but I imagine they found the holy cards to be a little goofy...

[/quote]

I lost what used to be my dad's communion rosary. It was the one I used to teach myself the rosary when I was a Baptist. :sadder: (It was even missing a few beads!) I always prayed that whoever found it & kept it used it well & was blessed by it... :)