An Old School Catholic Message Board

Handling John Leary, "refugues" And Other "end Times"

charleseherring

charleseherring

ok let me explain, john leary is coming to a town near me, i have done a little research engouh to know that he is not approved by his bishop, but my gf's family is beliving his stuff, and other locutionists, and i am drawing the line that i belive in what the bible says and what the church approves, nothing more, if i cant find it in either source i refuse to put faith in it, she has said the line how will i know till its to late, and well she is right, actully the group that meets (who is hosting leary) actully said when i asked them how do i know which of the locutionits are true or not said belive in them all becuse God will know if you are faithful or not... i might type up some of the "newsletters" (the gov is bad world is ending mary can only save us and we can hide from the bad stuff drivil) so what do you guys think i should do to talk to them and to talk to leary i am going to were he is speaking to call him out, the flier for him says he has approvel, he doesnt

AccountDeleted

I know nothing about John Leary but I did a quick google and found his website. A purported message from Jesus on March 12th talked about food additives, and suggested that we investigate what is put into our food.

I am sorry, but I don't believe that Jesus would appear on earth to anyone to discuss food additives. Just my opinion. John Leary can have all the locutions he wants, but I am not going to read them after that one message. That's just my take on it.

---

And according to [url="http://www.catholicdoors.com/isit/isit03.htm"]Catholic Doors Ministry[/url](my emphasis in bold at the end)
[quote]

1) That John Leary had mistaken the "normal workings of the mind in the processes of mental prayer for supernatural locutions."

2) That the "locutions" are human in origin, not divine.

3) That a Preface must be included in all newly printed or reprinted material, such warning the readers that the material contains a number of doctrinal errors.

REVIEW

ALLEGED REVELATIONS: Among other doctrinal errors, these two have been identified as opposing the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church:
1) Millenarianism: Some of the printed manuals allege that Christ will return to reign on the earth for a thousand years at the end of time. Regarding this false doctrine that has been around since the first century, the Catechism of the Catholic Church states:

# 675 "Before Christ's second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the "mystery of iniquity" in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo -messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh."
# 676 "The Antichrist's deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgement. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism, especially the "intrinsically perverse" political form of a secular messianism."

2) Anti-papalism: "Mr. Leary's locutions select Pope John Paul II to be obeyed but his successor to be ignored as an 'imposter (sic) pope.' This erroneous teaching is found throughout all of Mr. Leary's published work.
The suggestion to oppose the leadership of the Pope as the spiritual father of the Roman Catholic Church contradicts the teachings of the Catechism of the Catholic Church as follows:

# 937 "The Pope enjoys, by divine institution, 'supreme, full, immediate, and universal power in the care of souls' (CD 2)."
# 939 "Helped by the priests, their co-workers, and by the deacons, the bishops have the duty of authentically teaching the faith, celebrating divine worship, above all the Eucharist, and guiding their Churches as true pastors. Their responsibility also includes concern for all the Churches, with and under the Pope."

# 100 "The task of interpreting the Word of God authentically has been entrusted solely to the Magisterium of the Church, that is, to the Pope and to the bishops in communion with him. Article 3"

# 3 "Those who with God's help have welcomed Christ's call and freely responded to it are urged on by love of Christ to proclaim the Good News everywhere in the world. This treasure, received from the apostles, has been faithfully guarded by their successors. All Christ's faithful are called to hand it on from generation to generation, by professing the faith, by living it in fraternal sharing, and by celebrating it in liturgy and prayer. [Cf. Acts 2:42]"

# 2034 "The Roman Pontiff and the bishops are 'authentic teachers, that is, teachers endowed with the authority of Christ, who preach the faith to the people entrusted to them, the faith to be believed and put into practice.' The ordinary and universal Magisterium of the Pope and the bishops in communion with him teach the faithful the truth to believe, the charity to practice, the beatitude to hope for."

[size="3"][b]CONCLUSION Anyone who possesses, reads or believes the erroneous teachings of John Leary undertakes the risk of endangering his faith and consequently losing his soul.[/b][/size] [/quote]

Edited by nunsense

charleseherring

[quote name='nunsense' date='31 March 2010 - 04:38 AM' timestamp='1270028292' post='2083922']
I know nothing about John Leary but I did a quick google and found his website. A purported message from Jesus on March 12th talked about food additives, and suggested that we investigate what is put into our food.

I am sorry, but I don't believe that Jesus would appear on earth to anyone to discuss food additives. Just my opinion. John Leary can have all the locutions he wants, but I am not going to read them after that one message. That's just my take on it.

---

And according to [url="http://www.catholicdoors.com/isit/isit03.htm"]Catholic Doors Ministry[/url](my emphasis in bold at the end)

[/quote]

k, i also found that page, i just dont know how to make them see the nonsense that it is, they have some good ideas, ones i like(her family not leary lol) like eating organic foods, and stuff like that but they go off the deep end on some things, but i love her so i deal with it lol

AccountDeleted

[quote name='charleseherring' date='31 March 2010 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1270036149' post='2083940']
k, i also found that page, i just dont know how to make them see the nonsense that it is, they have some good ideas, ones i like(her family not leary lol) like eating organic foods, and stuff like that but they go off the deep end on some things, but i love her so i deal with it lol
[/quote]

It's hard when our loved ones are following strange paths, but we can pray for them and trust in God's mercy. I have lots of family and none of them are practising Catholics, so I just pray, pray, pray....

• 11 years later...
On 3/31/2010 at 5:02 AM, charleseherring said:

ok let me explain, john leary is coming to a town near me, i have done a little research engouh to know that he is not approved by his bishop, but my gf's family is beliving his stuff, and other locutionists, and i am drawing the line that i belive in what the bible says and what the church approves, nothing more, if i cant find it in either source i refuse to put faith in it, she has said the line how will i know till its to late, and well she is right, actully the group that meets (who is hosting leary) actully said when i asked them how do i know which of the locutionits are true or not said belive in them all becuse God will know if you are faithful or not... i might type up some of the "newsletters" (the gov is bad world is ending mary can only save us and we can hide from the bad stuff drivil) so what do you guys think i should do to talk to them and to talk to leary i am going to were he is speaking to call him out, the flier for him says he has approvel, he doesnt

Good for you this disillusioned man  needs to be stopped I have an official letter from a bishop calling him out as a fraud he will not comply with the Church’s process for authenticating divine messages. His messages cause fear harm chaos and destruction. He promotes messages

that go against Gospel and church teaching and social justice. When I hear his messages it speaks to me of the Bible  warning about the Anti-Christ. He messages are in know way of Christ or Mary. Catholics need to take a stand and wage a campaign denouncing this man. Before he creates a civil war and thousands more die because he turns them away from getting the vaccine. I know people who have died because they buy into his false messages while he makes millions. No true visionary seeks to be a millionaire- he is a false prophet. 
None of his websites, YouTube’s give you a way to contradict his falsehoods. How narcissistic is that no way to listen to constructive criticism or put under scrutiny. Please Gospel centered Catholics embracing universal Catholicism speak up. 

• 6 months later...

There is only One God with three distinct persons known as Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost or Spirit. The existence of  other Holy Spirits or angels/ messengers is also a believed Truth. The coming of the Holy Blessed Virgin Mary by the Father's Plan; the history of Her coming in time and space to be born of the Holy Ghost and the Holy Virgin Mary; through  Her parents, Joachim and Anne, is a matter of Faith and human history! The family of Joachim and Anne is the means and lineage by which in the fullness of time He, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, would be born of the Virgin Mary, through the Holy Ghost in accordance with the Eternal Father, Creator and maker of all that is and has been made. The protection of Joseph for the Blessed Virgin and Her Adorable Son employs the common understandings of a family but with the assistance of the heavenly hosts to protect God's Holy One from the snares of a demonic host that seeks to destroy Him and all of His Holy Family. The struggle is upon us all and it witnesses this struggle being in time and space and in the supernatural warfare between the angels with the Saints of God joining in this fight to win the souls of us all in accordance with the Plan of the Eternal Father! The fullness of His Holy Plan is unfolding in time but its consequences has natural and supernatural realities! Everything is following His Plan and the Peace and Love  of the Trinity is for each one of us an eternal gift from the Source of All Life. May we have and accept the Grace to believe and accept His Merciful Plan for our Salvation. Tom

On 3/31/2010 at 4:02 AM, charleseherring said:

How serious does your gf and her family take him?  If you two ended up getting married, how big an impact would this make on your marriage?  Does the family resemble a religious cult?  If you forsee that it would adversely impact your family life, you may want to re-evaluate this relationship before you get married.