An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='31 May 2010 - 10:42 PM' timestamp='1275360155' post='2121829']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif[/img] JMJ
Why is it that there are no active Traddy communities?
[/quote]

There is one that I know of.

[url="http://sistersofstbenedictcenter.org/index.html"]Sisters of St. Benedict[/url]

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='31 May 2010 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1275355298' post='2121777']
Order favoritism? Don't you know all flowers are exactly the same?

Ok so maybe Therese said something slightly different.
[/quote]

Actually the Carmelites were the last Order I wanted to say yay for :paperbag: I tried really hard to dislike them... I failed :sadder:

Therese <_< Meh no one reads her stuff

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='31 May 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1275356515' post='2121790']
You know, I've always felt like I've been "missing" something about St. Therese as well. I know a lot of people who have such strong devotions to her... And I've read [i]Story of a Soul[/i], [i]I Believe in Love[/i], and the Letter's between St. Therese and Maurice. She's great... I guess I've just not yet "got it," I suppose?

I do love Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity, though.
[/quote]

*nods*

I've read both [i]I Believe in Love[/i] and the Letters between St. Therese and Maurice as well.... same result as you.

And even [i]The Passion of St. Therese[/i] -- which is probably my favorite book about Therese (along with [i]My Sister Saint Therese[/i] by Celine). Both of those really helped in "getting to know" her, but man... I still feel like I just don't "get it".

I've also prayed countless novenas to her -- one in particular was somewhat "perpetual" as I prayed it for my Sister of Life friend to "discover" her vocation. :evil: :lol: She's always been a Therese-enthusiast. Needless to say, I think that one worked. Teehee.

Zunshynn has me quite interested in Elizabeth of the Trinity. She's on "my list" to check out.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='31 May 2010 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1275362366' post='2121855']
Actually the Carmelites were the last Order I wanted to say yay for :paperbag: I tried really hard to dislike them... I failed :sadder:

[/quote]

On the contrary. I am not a Carmelite at heart, but I fell in love with her through the "Therese" movie. After seeing it, I bought "Story of a Soul" and "I Believe in Love." She made me like the Carmelites, even though I know I do not have a Carmelite vocation. :saint:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='31 May 2010 - 09:36 PM' timestamp='1275359791' post='2121825']
I just didn't like the way she was portrayed. Her face looked gloomy and I remember St. Teresa of Avila saying that she didn't like "gloomy faced saints." I see Elizabeth as a warm, friendly soul.

[/quote]

I always remember that quote too and find it especially ironic, and amusing, when I see St Teresa depicted with such a gloomy expression.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='31 May 2010 - 11:27 PM' timestamp='1275362852' post='2121859']
I always remember that quote too and find it especially ironic, and amusing, when I see St Teresa depicted with such a gloomy expression.
[/quote]
:lol:

Like this:

[img]http://www.marypages.com/Teresa5.jpg[/img]

or this:

[img]http://www.traditioninaction.org/Cultural/images/B007_TeresaAvila.jpg[/img]

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='31 May 2010 - 10:36 PM' timestamp='1275359791' post='2121825']
I just didn't like the way she was portrayed. Her face looked gloomy and I remember St. Teresa of Avila saying that she didn't like "gloomy faced saints." I see Elizabeth as a warm, friendly soul.

[b]I wish it was easier to find statues or pictures of my favorite saints. I have the hardest time finding ones of St. Elizabeth and St. Dominic. :ohno:
[/b][/quote]

Totally agree. :(

I've been trying to find a good statue of St. Thomas Aquinas.

Finding out the other day that my favorite statue was really (or most likely) St. Vincent Ferrer and NOT St. Thomas Aquinas... well, to say the least, I has major disappoint.

Alas.

Also, like you, MM (and St. Teresa) I tend not to go for "gloomy" representations of saints. I mean, we can have "sad" or "pensive" or even just plain "devastation" and "sorrow", but down right gloomy makes me a bit... gloomy. Like this picture of my dear Thomas:

[img]http://timothyministries.org/images/Saint_Thomas_Aquinas.jpg[/img]

:sweat:

[size="1"]Granted, I have been told in this image, he is contemplating the Passion. So... I suppose that expression makes sense.[/size]

Edited by laetitia crucis

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='31 May 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1275363077' post='2121860']

Like this:

[img]http://www.traditioninaction.org/Cultural/images/B007_TeresaAvila.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

That's the one I always picture when I hear here name. Hahahahaha!

Very ironic, indeed.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='31 May 2010 - 11:33 PM' timestamp='1275363233' post='2121861']

[img]http://timothyministries.org/images/Saint_Thomas_Aquinas.jpg[/img]

:sweat:

[size="1"]Granted, I have been told in this image, he is contemplating the Passion. So... I suppose that expression makes sense.[/size]
[/quote]

Wow! St Thomas looks REALLY unhappy there. :blink:

I suppose if he is contemplating the Passion, it wouldn't be something to really smile about.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='31 May 2010 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1275363343' post='2121862']

That's the one I always picture when I hear here name. Hahahahaha!

Very ironic, indeed.
[/quote]

LOL, I find we think a lot on the same page. ::cue Twilight Zone music::

:wacko:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='31 May 2010 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1275362366' post='2121855']

[/quote]

I think I've tried [i]reeeeeeally[/i] hard to really like the Carmelites. I mean, I don't "dislike" them by any means. :sweat: However, I guess for me, it would be like trying to fit a circle-shaped piece into a square hole (if that makes sense).

St. John of the Cross totally captivates me with his mystic brilliance and poetic beauty -- all thanks to [i]The Ascent[/i]. :notworthy:

I am happy to admire him high atop Mt. Carmel.

I stand in awe of the contemplative vocation, especially the Carmelite contemplative vocation.

[size="1"]All who make it there one day, please say a little prayer for me... (God willing) I'll be that klutzy Dominican in a tomato-sauce-and-coffee stained habit tripping over myself and laughing hysterically while attempting to pray my Rosary at the bottom of the Mount.[/size]

Edited by laetitia crucis

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='31 May 2010 - 11:39 PM' timestamp='1275363595' post='2121867']
LOL, I find we think a lot on the same page. ::cue Twilight Zone music::

:wacko:
[/quote]

:grouphug:

(There needs to be a "high five" emoticon methinks.)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='31 May 2010 - 11:48 PM' timestamp='1275364129' post='2121871']
:grouphug:

(There needs to be a "high five" emoticon methinks.)
[/quote]

:cheers:

Maybe it's because we are both Dominicans. ;)

[quote name='vee8' date='01 June 2010 - 06:19 AM' timestamp='1275362366' post='2121855']

[/quote]
Your first sentence is my situation as well :lol:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='31 May 2010 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1275364674' post='2121875']
:cheers:

Maybe it's because we are both Dominicans. ;)
[/quote]

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1261/997909242_df8c169e34.jpg[/img]

Future [i]Domini Canes[/i], God willing... :))