An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='03 June 2010 - 11:45 PM' timestamp='1275623128' post='2123494']
France and Rome huh?! So tempted to join imaginary community for lame reasons of going to places I like :sweat: I can't see it working though.

Vocation Director " so why are you interested in our commnity?"
me "err umm well I'd like to live in France and Rome for a bit"
VD "we aren't a travel agency you know, you go where you're told. What else attracts you to the Dominicans of the Immaculate?"
me " er ... i like your habits :))"
VD " get out!"
me "ni"
[/quote]

:lol_pound:

I love it! Hahahahaha!

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='04 June 2010 - 08:50 AM' timestamp='1275655847' post='2123586']
[url="http://www.sistersop.com/"]http://www.sistersop.com/[/url]
JMJ
[/quote]
I stand corrected.
:yahoo:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='04 June 2010 - 08:50 AM' timestamp='1275655847' post='2123586']
[url="http://www.sistersop.com/"]http://www.sistersop.com/[/url]
JMJ
[/quote]

Do they have their 1st Vow as "Total Consecration to the Immaculate", whereby each [i]...makes [her]self the possesion and property of the Immaculate, Her docile instrument to be used by Her in life and in death, as She did with the confessor and martyr St. Maximilian, for the conversion and sanctification of souls.[/i]? (quoted from [i]The Franciscan Legend of the Immaculate[/i])

And a mission to take over the world for Jesus through Mary?

[i]For the Immaculate is the dawn of salvation for every soul and for all mankind. Hence, out of zeal for souls, we strive to give the Immaculate “to every heart that beats on earth”. [/i] -- From [i]The Franciscan Legend of the Immaculate[/i] :love:

:detective:

And do they have a preference for the TLM? And always chanting the 1962 Divine Office?

If so... :shock: I think my heart might explode.

TeresaBenedicta

So, I'm gonna beg for some prayers here from my fellow discerners:

I got a call today from my parish's youth minister, asking if I would be willing to serve as a chaperone for their retreat this weekend... as in, it starts tonight at 6:00pm... LOL (talk about last minute-- although, he had mentioned the possibility to me a few weeks ago and I said I was open to it and for him to let me know). Okay, so that's all good. I was somewhat expecting it and I'm excited.

He also asked if I would be willing to give a talk, [i]tonight[/i], about religious life and discernment!!

So, if y'all wouldn't mind praying for me tonight, I'd greatly appreciate it. I don't really have time to actually prepare a talk (and he said it was more informal anyway), so I'm giving it all to the Holy Spirit-- let Him say whatever it is He wants to say in order to touch these kids' hearts tonight. Pray that I'm completely open to His inspirations and that I can let go of myself to be His instrument!!!

Just from Google, these seem like normal Dominican Sisters (albeit conservative-leaning) and their province is simply named after the Immaculate Conception.

When I was a little munchkin my parish was named after the Immaculate Conception. Doesn't mean we were "of the Immaculate" in the sort of sense you're talking about. (Heck we were lucky if we could distinguish the Immaculate Conception from the Virgin Birth!)

It looks to me that these Dominican Sisters in Illinois are more like my Immaculate Conception parish, or my friend who is about to make her perpetual profession at Monastery Immaculate Conception but isn't a "Benedictine of the Immaculate" and there is still room to form your dreamed-of community!

Sidenote: I had previously seen this same community referred to as the "Dominican Sisters of Justice." Which I had thought was an interesting name -- my mind immediately went to the Dominicans who ran my high school (there were two left in my day, plus some retired Sisters who weren't up to full-time teaching anymore but tutored and were seen wandering the halls). Their congregation recently merged with several others to form the Dominican Sisters of Peace. So I had thought "Dominican Sisters of Justice" sounded similar to "Dominican Sisters of Peace."

However, the communities seemed quite different. Most of the Dominican Sisters of Peace do not wear habits. Some of the older sisters still choose to -- but those are a simple white dress-and-suit-jacket, about knee-length, with a black veil. It's clearly a uniform and they're clearly consecrated religious, but other than the veil is it is not that dissimilar from what I might wear to work (except I'd never wear white! Stains R Us!)

Dominican Sisters of Justice wear seriously-not-messing-around HABITS. It's not quite Ingrid Bergman in Bells of St. Mary's, but close to that end of the spectrum. And that tends to correlate with much more traditional orders in a lot of ways. So the name struck me as very interesting. I mean, there's no reason why they COULDN'T go together, but it was still striking. Fascinating.

Oh wait. They're based in the town of Justice, Illinois. So "Justice" in their name is about as significant as "Nashville" in the "Nashville Dominicans."

Never mind then. Moving on.

OnlySunshine

I just got the [I]Dialogues[/I] in the mail today. I skimmed through it and I am really excited to read it. It looks awesome! :)

Tridenteen

JMJ
I changed four icky diapers today. Reminded me of one of the plusses of being a sister that I can tell people who say "What about all the fun stuff mums get to do?!?"

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='04 June 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1275705593' post='2123936']
I just got the [I]Dialogues[/I] in the mail today. I skimmed through it and I am really excited to read it. It looks awesome! :)
[/quote]

:woot:

If you happen to have any random insights to help me along in my reading (and the nurturing of my Catherine-love... please feel free to share! :whistle: :lol:

laetitia crucis

One of my random happy thoughts of the day:

I met this really nice lady after Mass this morning. We were standing next to each other introducing ourselves to the guest priest (who gave an awesome homily, by the way!). Afterwards, while having some coffee in the parish hall, she told me, "You know, just meeting you and seeing you speak to Father, I thought to myself, 'That girl's gonna be a nun!' You radiate such joy!"

That made my day! :lol: [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/IMG]

Thank you for that little affirmation, God -- I really appreciate it! ^_^

sistersintigo

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='01 June 2010 - 11:27 PM' timestamp='1275445642' post='2122501']
I wish there was a monastery or priory where I lived. I would love to have a Dominican as a spiritual director. Sadly, there aren't very many religious communities where I live.
[/quote]
I wish the Archdiocese of Boston, where I live, had Dominicans. At some point in the diocese's shady history, there were Dominicans checking the place out, and the archbishop wanted to have the last word with them, I know not on what subject. It is said that they, being the Order of Preachers, talked back, and that was enough to provoke the archbishop to shut them out of his diocese.
Now the Jesuits, who used to be the backbone of this Archdiocese, are in a position they never would have imagined. The Jesuit province that includes the Archdiocese of Boston has lost all its parishes here. Apart from a retreat center in the burbs, it seems that all they have left is Boston College; and it has got to the point where Boston College is supporting (as in "life support") the local Jesuit province rather than vice versa.
Dominican Laity have growing chapters here, but they have to import their religious directors from outside the state often.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='05 June 2010 - 09:24 PM' timestamp='1275791091' post='2124392']
she told me, "You know, just meeting you and seeing you speak to Father, I thought to myself, 'That girl's gonna be a nun!' You radiate such joy!"

That made my day! :lol: [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/IMG]

[/quote]

Nah.... nuns are sad. Very sad. Quite miserable in fact, just look at Teresa :mellow:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='05 June 2010 - 11:27 PM' timestamp='1275794852' post='2124446']
Nah.... nuns are sad. Very sad. Quite miserable in fact, just look at Teresa :mellow:
[/quote]

Oh my, yes! I hear St. Teresa used to lock herself up in her cell and just cry for hours at a time.

:P

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='05 June 2010 - 10:13 PM' timestamp='1275790385' post='2124387']
:woot:

If you happen to have any random insights to help me along in my reading (and the nurturing of my Catherine-love... please feel free to share! :whistle: :lol:
[/quote]

I think my most favorite thing about St. Catherine is how she cut off her hair when her parents wanted her to get married because of her beauty. She was so pure that she didn't want to be remembered. :love:

[img]http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v238/43/68/21203475/n21203475_31321830_848.jpg[/img]

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='05 June 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1275797183' post='2124462']
Oh my, yes! I hear St. Teresa used to lock herself up in her cell and just cry for hours at a time.

:P
[/quote]

:lol: Thats odd because I heard the same thing about Catherine of Siena. I suspect the flower she is holding indicates the great degree of her sadness.
[img]http://gabrielle.stblogs.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/157/files//2008/04/catherine-of-siena.jpg[/img]

Maybe thats how you get to be a Doctor of the Church?! Extra crying.