An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='03 July 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1278187611' post='2137464']
:rolling: Come to Canada in the winter I'm sure we can find hoar frost on some random livestock for you! :thumbsup: Wait I might actually have a picture of such a thing for you!!! *searching*
[/quote]

That would be AWESOME. :woot: :lol:

[quote name='vee8' date='03 July 2010 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1278188118' post='2137465']

I like taking pictures of storm clouds the darker and more ominous looking the better. I also like taking pictures of food, for the same reasons you listed, much to the amusement and teasing of my family.
[/quote]

Oh yes -- the darker the better, most definitely!! I even took a video of this very ominous pre-hail storm clouding... and then BAAAAAM! heaven let loose the hail! It was glorious. Unfortunately, this video suffered the same fate as my other cloud video.

Just yesterday my dad was making fun of me for my "random and weird" picturing-taking. :sweat: He doesn't understand the amusement and fascination of taking pictures of food. And clouds. And bugs. Etc.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='03 July 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1278190494' post='2137470']
Thanks for that reminder! I'd forgotten that you could choose how many posts to show on a page. As an experiment, I've set the number of posts and threads shown to the maximum (40). After awhile, I'll decide what I think. If I don't like it, I can always change back, but I think I will like it.
[/quote]

Oooh, yes!! :clapping: I am fond of this setting. I remember a while back in the debate table there was a 15+ pg thread, but other PMers were talking about how it's already in the 30s. I was a little confused, and then I remember, "Ah!! Post settings!!!" :lol:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='03 July 2010 - 05:57 PM' timestamp='1278194247' post='2137486']
I was going to tease Vee about taking pictures of food, but she did it for herself. I can't say that I've ever taken pictures of food. (However, I'm not much into taking pictures anyway.)

Somehow, when L-C talked about being served the liver meatloaf, I pictured her in a refectory, with the other Sisters watching her eat, so taking pictures of the food might be kind of awkward, in that situation.[/quote]

Yeah, I think that would have been really awkward for me in that very situation... well, not so much the taking pictures of food, but the twitching. :hehehe:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola']If I'd been served the liver meatloaf, and there was no one there to watch me, I would have been sorely tempted to flush some down the toilet (or try to find a convenient dog). But, in the end, I probably wouldn't, because that would entail lying, and I'm too darn honest for my own good. However, I don't know if I would have been able to finish the meatloaf, as you did. I probably would have tried some, then apologized profusely and felt horribly guilty. To make up for it, I would have cleaned my plate otherwise, even the brussels sprouts. (In case you ever care, I looked it up in the dictionary, and it really is "brussels sprouts" (both words plural)--your factoid for today. And, for all I know, the British spell it differently.[/quote]

I totally feel you about the honesty. I'd definitely fall into the category of "being too honest for my own good". :lol: Otherwise, like you, the guilt would get to me.

Ooh, and thank you for the clarification on "brussels sprouts". I really had no idea how to spell it! Hahaha! I even said the word [i]out loud[/i] to see if I had pronounced the "s" at the end of "brussels" or not. And then I said it both ways, and "brussel[b]s[/b]" just felt funny coming out of my mouth. Is it a silent "s"? :idontknow: Hahah! Anyhooo, now I know. And I am glad! :D

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola']I wouldn't be surprised if the liver meatloaf WAS a test of flexibility, and ability to integrate into different cultures. Factoid: A report I read awhile back (so this may not still be true) said that when companies transfer employees from the U.S. to other countries, the country where the transfer is most likely to fail is the UK. I think it's because we tend to assume the UK is just like the U.S., because they speak English (mostly). But, the UK and the U.S. have a LOT of cultural differences--things like eating liver meatloaf. So, even if the language is pretty much the same, it still takes a lot of flexibility to happily adjust to living in the UK.
[/quote]

Ahhhhh! Good to know!! This makes me wonder what else people might use to test potential transfers to the UK. :detective:

Ooh, that reminds me! There was this one time I was going to an apostolate with one of the Sisters. It was an after school program, kind of like a kids "Catholic Club" (or perhaps some might say "Sodality"). And well, in the beginning the kids play games, rather active games together that involving running around. So, the kids were getting somewhat rowdy -- I'm used to faaaaar more loud and excitable behavior -- and the headmaster had said, "Now children, we must be a little more calm and quiet -- we're [i]British[/i]."

And the kids became much more calm and quiet.

I was in shock. And [i]hiiiighly[/i] amused at that. I wish that would work here in the U.S.! Hahahahah!

My first thought was, "Wow, by 'American' standards, those kids weren't even all that loud to begin with.." :lol:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola']As for clotted cream, I was going to offer to send you some. But even though clotted cream is packaged in a way that it doesn't need to be refrigerated, it's still summer, and I wouldn't know how to properly package it so that it wouldn't go bad en route from one hot city to another. But, you've got me curious, so I may look around a bit on the Internet over the weekend to see if there is anywhere you could order it and have it delivered. (I think that searching for strange things on the Internet is fun.) Or, maybe one of your guests lives near an exotic food store that carries it and they could bring some to the shower. (For example, in Chicago, Cost Plus carries it, or at least they used to. I wouldn't think to look at Cost Plus for clotted cream, but there it was. But, I don't know if you have Cost Plus stores anywhere near where you live.)

In a pinch, I guess you could use heavy whipping cream that you whipped until it was almost the consistency of butter. Not nearly as good, but hopefully most of your guests wouldn't know the difference. I have seen recipes in cookbooks for how to make clotted cream, but, to me, at least, the recipes sounded complicated, with a lot of ways for the recipe to go wrong. Isn't it odd that something that is practically a staple in the UK is so difficult to find in the U.S.? For example, I have a Japanese grocery store very near me where I can find almost anything I'd want in the way of Japanese groceries. But, English grocery staples? Hard to find, even in a city as large as Chicago. [/quote]

I'll be looking around here, too, to see if I can find the clotted cream. Surely in Louisville they'd have a store that sells it! (I hope!) It's funny though, like you said... sometimes it's easier finding "way out" cuisine shops that things somewhat similar -- like British foods. :lol:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola']Somewhat off the subject--I'm obviously still totally ignorant when it comes to customs of various Communities about visitors. It made sense to me that Vee ate alone because the community she was visiting is cloistered.

But, the Community you're entering isn't cloistered, right L-C? After thinking about it, I guess it makes sense that regular visitors wouldn't take meals with the community. But, somehow I pictured that "serious discerners" might take meals with a non-cloistered community. If you had been an official "live-in" for several months, would you have taken meals with the community?

I've been assuming that you met with the Sisters face-to-face, not behind a grille. Is that correct? Were you allowed inside the cloister at all? Did you attend chapel with the Sisters--or for prayers did you sit in the same church, but on the other side of the grille? Is it usual for a non-cloistered community to have a grille? Or is there no "usual" when it comes to the customs of non-cloistered communities (and probably cloistered ones, as well)? That's a lot of questions. I guess I'm mostly interested in what your future community does, and figure that there are numerous variations. No wonder formation takes years! There is so much to learn! And, I haven't even brought up the much more important things like prayer, Eucharistic adoration etc.
[/quote]

I'll be back after Mass to answer this last bit! :D

[quote name='Hilde' date='03 July 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1278204659' post='2137526']
Again with the meatloaf.
[/quote]

:sweat:

[img]http://mycrofth4.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/11_47_8-us-flag_web.jpg[/img]

Happy Independence Day!! I congratulate you, my neighbours, on achieving something my country never did... kicking out the monarchy :sadwalk: To celebrate on your behalf I was going to have apple pie but forgot to buy one and don't have enough apples to make one. :sadwalk: Oh well I'll just remember the fantastic places I've visited there, and the slightly less than fantastic times like getting stuck in OHare <_<. Sorry I of L but I try to avoid that airport like the plague!

Edited by vee8

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='03 July 2010 - 05:57 PM' timestamp='1278194247' post='2137486']

Somewhat off the subject--I'm obviously still totally ignorant when it comes to customs of various Communities about visitors. It made sense to me that Vee ate alone because the community she was visiting is cloistered.

But, the Community you're entering isn't cloistered, right L-C? [/quote]

My community is considered "semi-contemplative" -- like the Nashville and Ann Arbor Dominicans, the Sisters of Life, and the Franciscans of the Immaculate. They have an active apostolate, but also a contemplative prayer life -- usually meaning that they pray/chant addition Hours, and have more monastic observances. There is more time in the day set aside for prayer, and as Dominicans, there is specific time set aside for study. :smokey:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola']After thinking about it, I guess it makes sense that regular visitors wouldn't take meals with the community. But, somehow I pictured that "serious discerners" might take meals with a non-cloistered community. If you had been an official "live-in" for several months, would you have taken meals with the community? [/quote]

This was actually my first experience of a "Come and See"/visit where I didn't regularly eat with the Sisters. During the first weekend with them, there was an actual "Come and See" happening with additional visitors, so the Sisters ate in the guest refectory with everyone else. However, once everyone else left, then they returned to their "normal" schedule and way of life. :)

While visiting other communities, I had always taken my meals with the Sisters. All meals. :eat: I always enjoyed that, since it usually offered a more informal time of "getting to know" the Sisters. However, this time... well, like vee8 said in one of her replies, it really gives one a lot more time to listen to the Holy Spirit. Although, I did a lot of my listening to Fulton Sheen as well. :sweat: It was like my own personal retreat with him during my meal times. (I brought my phone to listen to his talks. My phone functions as camera and mp3 player. :lol: It was free with my cellphone plan a year ago. :deal: )

Hmmm... I don't know for certain, but it seems to my experience that most non-cloistered communities don't offer "live in"s. Instead, you just become an aspirant or postulant and that counts as a "live in"... maybe? :idontknow:

But then again, the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate seem to be very open with extended visits for discerners. Perhaps that would count as a "live in"? :think: I stayed with them for a few weeks (and LOVED it). Another girl I knew about stayed for a whole month. I guess it just depends on each community. Personally, I really loved being able to stay so long and really see what their life was like. I also loved the special prayers they had before and after meals. Makes me wonder if the Dominicans do the same thing.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola']I've been assuming that you met with the Sisters face-to-face, not behind a grille. Is that correct? Were you allowed inside the cloister at all? Did you attend chapel with the Sisters--or for prayers did you sit in the same church, but on the other side of the grille? Is it usual for a non-cloistered community to have a grille? Or is there no "usual" when it comes to the customs of non-cloistered communities (and probably cloistered ones, as well)? That's a lot of questions. I guess I'm mostly interested in what your future community does, and figure that there are numerous variations. No wonder formation takes years! There is so much to learn! And, I haven't even brought up the much more important things like prayer, Eucharistic adoration etc.
[/quote]

You are absolutely right in assuming that I met with the Sisters face-to-face. :twothumbsup: Since these Sisters are not cloistered, they do not have a grille. However, there is an actual "cloister" section of the convent where only Sisters are allowed. (I didn't get to go in. Hehe.) Normally the "cloistered" part of the convent just houses the Sisters' cells. (This is how it was with my former community and also at the Sisters of Life postulant house.) With "my" Dominicans, though, the "cloister" also included their refectory, kitchen, library, and some offices, I believe. I'm not sure what else was behind that closed door... probably a classroom or two. :detective:

Fortunately, I was able to attend chapel with the Sisters. Their chapel is open to the public, and they don't have a divided enclosed section to themselves. However, they do have choir stalls. Check out this picture:

[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/DSSJ/Image081.jpg[/IMG]
This one was taken as you walk into the front side doors. I just finished polishing all the stalls and pews. :)) The altar would be to the right.

Here's another picture from the back of the chapel. (Note: my camera doesn't function so well with bright light.)

[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/DSSJ/Image008.jpg[/IMG]

The Sisters sit in the stalls and everyone else sits in the pews.

As silly as it might sound, I'm really exciting about praying and chanting the Divine Office in a real choir stall! :woot: :lol:

God knows I fancy "the little things" in life... and sometimes I'm amazed at how often He actually lets me have them! Hahaha!

Like that glass bottle of milk delivered by a real MILK MAN!

[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/DSSJ/Image141.jpg[/IMG]

And the hoar frost...

[img]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/DSSJ/Image154.jpg?t=1278259654[/img]

Is that hoar frost on that horse's back?? :lol:

Sorry LC I can't seem to find my hoar frost pics but I did find this on google
[img]http://www.spunwithtears.com/hudjik/2003/031028.jpg[/img]

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='04 July 2010 - 12:03 PM' timestamp='1278259382' post='2137665']
[img]http://mycrofth4.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/11_47_8-us-flag_web.jpg[/img]

Happy Independence Day!! I congratulate you, my neighbours, on achieving something my country never did... kicking out the monarchy :sadwalk: To celebrate on your behalf I was going to have apple pie but forgot to buy one and don't have enough apples to make one. :sadwalk: Oh well I'll just remember the fantastic places I've visited there, and the slightly less than fantastic times like getting stuck in OHare <_<. Sorry I of L but I try to avoid that airport like the plague!
[/quote]

Happy 4th of July!!!

:yahoo:

This morning before Mass, we sang "The Star Spangled Banner". I got a little verklempt. I realized.. today could very well be my last 4th of July on American soil. It was a surreal feeling.

Maybe we'll celebrate it like [url="http://www.monialesop.org/2010/07/have-canadianwill-celebrate.html"]Summit celebrated Canada Day for their Canadien[/url]... ;) I'll all for cooking up good old American food -- of the [url="http://www.southernplate.com/"]Southern variety[/url].

[quote name='vee8' date='04 July 2010 - 12:13 PM' timestamp='1278260012' post='2137667']
Sorry LC I can't seem to find my hoar frost pics but I did find this on google
[img]http://www.spunwithtears.com/hudjik/2003/031028.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

:clapping: Look at their little fluffy tails!!!!!!

Love!

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='04 July 2010 - 11:13 AM' timestamp='1278260012' post='2137666']

While visiting other communities, I had always taken my meals with the Sisters. All meals. :eat: I always enjoyed that, since it usually offered a more informal time of "getting to know" the Sisters. However, this time... well, like vee8 said in one of her replies, it really gives one a lot more time to listen to the Holy Spirit. Although, I did a lot of my listening to Fulton Sheen as well. :sweat: It was like my own personal retreat with him during my meal times. (I brought my phone to listen to his talks. My phone functions as camera and mp3 player. :lol: [/quote]

:o :o :o. I spent many meal times reading Treasure in Clay by.... Fulton Sheen :mellow:

For I of L or anyone else who wonders what cloistered communities like the Carmelites do during meal times they either eat in silence or one Sister reads from a spiritual book. So it's not LC's experiences of meal time being an informal bonding time. From what I understand Poor Clares even eat standing up and quickly as a kind of penance or mortification and to get as little enjoyment from the food as possible. Carmelites can sit and enjoy the food as far as I know, so I think ideas towards food and eating styles are one of the big differences between those two Orders as far as i know anyway.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='04 July 2010 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1278259382' post='2137665']

Happy Independence Day!! I congratulate you, my neighbours, on achieving something my country never did... kicking out the monarchy [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sadwalk.gif[/img] To celebrate on your behalf I was going to have apple pie but forgot to buy one and don't have enough apples to make one. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sadwalk.gif[/img] Oh well I'll just remember the fantastic places I've visited there, and the slightly less than fantastic times like getting stuck in OHare [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif[/img]. Sorry I of L but I try to avoid that airport like the plague!
[/quote]

You don't like O'Hare?[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img] Not to worry, I get that a lot. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img] People love to tell me their O'Hare horror stories.
When people ask me why I live in Chicago, I say that I live here so that I never have to connect through O'Hare. But, when you live in Chicago, O'Hare is a GREAT airport. I know all its quirks and the best places to park, and I can fly nonstop almost anywhere in the world. (That's a benefit I haven't used much recently, but it's there.)

On the other hand, I envy you in Canada because you still have the Queen, if only as a figurehead. God save the Queen! (And, as you can see in my profile, Bunchie likes the Queen, too.) [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='04 July 2010 - 07:45 AM' timestamp='1278247525' post='2137642']
Ooh, and thank you for the clarification on "brussels sprouts". I really had no idea how to spell it! Hahaha! I even said the word [i]out loud[/i] to see if I had pronounced the "s" at the end of "brussels" or not. And then I said it both ways, and "brussel[b]s[/b]" just felt funny coming out of my mouth. Is it a silent "s"? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/idontknow.gif[/img] Hahah! Anyhooo, now I know. And I am glad! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]
[/quote]

According to my dictionary, the "s" in brussels is silent. So, you've bee saying it correctly. And, I realized that I say "brussels sprouts" with a silent "s," too.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='04 July 2010 - 11:55 AM' timestamp='1278262536' post='2137677']
You don't like O'Hare?[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img] Not to worry, I get that a lot. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img] People love to tell me their O'Hare horror stories.
When people ask me why I live in Chicago, I say that I live here so that I never have to connect through O'Hare. But, when you live in Chicago, O'Hare is a GREAT airport. I know all its quirks and the best places to park, and I can fly nonstop almost anywhere in the world. (That's a benefit I haven't used much recently, but it's there.)

On the other hand, I envy you in Canada because you still have the Queen, if only as a figurehead. God save the Queen! (And, as you can see in my profile, Bunchie likes the Queen, too.) [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img]
[/quote]

On second thought I'm sure being stuck in O Hare probably reduced some of the time I'll be spending in purgatory, so I should consider it a blessing in a way :P

This is going to sound reeeaaallly sappy but I consider the woman in my profile pic my only queen :blush: :love: As for the British one, who is currently touring around Canada, you send me a pie and you can have her! :deal:

OnlySunshine

I felt the call again today. I was in Church singing "the Summons" and the verses resonated deep within my soul. At the same time time, I also saw in my mind one of the communities that I've been in contact with and so I'm wondering if it is God telling me to further in discernment with them. I asked Him to give me the courage to do so, and I plan to do their next "come and see" in October. :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='04 July 2010 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1278261510' post='2137675']
:o :o :o. I spent many meal times reading Treasure in Clay by.... Fulton Sheen :mellow: [/quote]

We should start a phanclub. :)) :cheers:

[quote name='vee8']For I of L or anyone else who wonders what cloistered communities like the Carmelites do during meal times they either eat in silence or one Sister reads from a spiritual book. So it's not LC's experiences of meal time being an informal bonding time. From what I understand Poor Clares even eat standing up and quickly as a kind of penance or mortification and to get as little enjoyment from the food as possible. Carmelites can sit and enjoy the food as far as I know, so I think ideas towards food and eating styles are one of the big differences between those two Orders as far as i know anyway.
[/quote]

The Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate would usually listen to taped conferences or a recording of the Rule of St. Francis and their "Traccia Mariana" in the mornings -- except on Sundays or Solemnities, then they'd talk or partake in "informal bonding time". :lol: (Oh, and on Fridays all meals are non-talking meals. ;) )

With "my" Dominicans, I'm told that usually during breakfast and lunch, the Sisters have one person reading from a spiritual book. Dinner has speaking allowed.

With my former community, the only time someone would read from a spiritual book during meals was during our one-day-a-month retreat day. I always thought that was a nice "treat". :)

[quote name='Hilde' date='04 July 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1278262249' post='2137676']
not all orders let you talk during meals :mellow:
[/quote]

True, true.

I always thought eating in silence would make me feel somewhat awkward... especially if you're eating extra crunchy bread. However, from personal experience, once that initial "Wow, I'm crunching [i]reeeeeally[/i] loudly... oh hey! I can hear Sister So-and-So crunching, too! Hey, we're crunching in the SAME tempo! That's funny!" wears off, then it's not so awkward. :sweat:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='04 July 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1278268731' post='2137697']
I felt the call again today. I was in Church singing "the Summons" and the verses resonated deep within my soul. At the same time time, I also saw in my mind one of the communities that I've been in contact with and so I'm wondering if it is God telling me to further in discernment with them. I asked Him to give me the courage to do so, and I plan to do their next "come and see" in October. :)
[/quote]

:yahoo: