An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1348423966' post='2485713']
I got application papers this weekend!!! God really provided this weekend because a number of things almost went wrong (I got a bad cold the day before, for example) but worked out in the end. Now I just have to go talk with my parents...pray for us please! I am very happy though :nun1:
[/quote]

:nun2: yaaaay! So happy for you. And I'll definitely be praying!

I got application papers this weekend!!! God really provided this weekend because a number of things almost went wrong (I got a bad cold the day before, for example) but worked out in the end. Now I just have to go talk with my parents...pray for us please! I am very happy though :nun1:
[/quote]

Praying :nunpray:
So I promise I'm not reading into this at all I just think it's an interesting observation. People that I haven't told about the Children of Mary keep posting things about them... :think:

JMJ+ :heart:

Edited by Catholicterp7

[/quote]

PRAISE GOD!!!! :nun1:

Pax! I'm thrilled for you! You have great parents and I know they will support you although I know it will be hard (especially for your mom...I just have a feeling...) I'll certainly remember you in my prayers. Please remember me in yours as I discern where I am called as I am really not sure at all the moment....

Thanks everyone! Any advice for talking with my parents? :unsure: I told them I was discerning separately, but I think this is a conversation we should have all together.

[quote name='ACS67' timestamp='1348531557' post='2486228']
Pax! I'm thrilled for you! You have great parents and I know they will support you although I know it will be hard (especially for your mom...I just have a feeling...) I'll certainly remember you in my prayers. Please remember me in yours as I discern where I am called as I am really not sure at all the moment....
[/quote]
:pray: Remember the other woman who was visiting when we were there back in June? She's visiting again, she leaves tomorrow, so we got to spend some time together which was awe.some! And the sisters got another postulant a few weeks ago apparently!

Oh yes I remember her! I often wondered if she entered. She seemed like she might. Of course I thought I would too but these days I'm wondering if I belong in a cloister at all. One day I'm sure, the next day I'm not...ahhh....who knows?! God knows and He's waiting on me to make a decision I'm sure. :)

In any case, keep us informed on the your progress. I don't have any advise on talking to parents because I didn't have to deal with that...although I was your age when I first discerned to the Poor Clares (19). My parents were not Catholic so I knew for sure they would never understand. I considered just running away and joining without their knowledge, but don't you do that!. Besides I sensed that your parents will support you in your decision. They will be able to come see you because you live so close. I think Mother Celeste Marie said she would not restrict visits or letters like I know some Poor Clare communities do so that will be a positive reassurance for your parents...hopefully. :)

Sr. Marie Veronica said that "as a postulant you should write your family every Sunday and friends a little less. Family can visit probably once a month formally but if they are in the area there is no restriction." I hope telling them that will reassure them some when I talk with them. The sisters won't let me run away without telling them...but I did ask what would happen if my parents told me I couldn't enter.

I don't have any wise words, but I'm praying for you!

I got an email from Sister Philomena of the Children of Mary. I'm going to be calling her tomorrow to talk on the phone. Please pray that my phone phobia doesn't get in the way of this.

Be as understanding as you can with your parents. They will have to go through a mourning process with this so if they react negatively at first don't get discouraged. I'm guessing you are incredibly excited about this but your parents will most likely just be confused. Don't overwhelm them with information, you'll probably want to share EVERYTHING about the community with them but that will just confuse them more. Bring things up as they ask about them and don't anticipate their doubts.

Sorry to change to change the subject, but could y'all say a few prayers for me? I'm planning to visit a community next week but I'm afraid that something might stand in my way and mess up all my plans.
thanks so much. :heart:

You got it MarisStella!

I talked to Sister Philomena Maria today! :) One of the things she told me is that every week they do what they call a Gethsemane Hour. On Thursday night at eleven they meet in the chapel and pray a rosary for priests and then spend the hour in solitary prayer "accompanying Jesus in His agony" :love: The more I find out about them the more I think it could be it but I'm actually managing to keep it all in perspective which is AMAZING because I'm not so good at that.

[quote name='Catholicterp7' timestamp='1348623899' post='2486760']
You got it MarisStella!

I talked to Sister Philomena Maria today! :) One of the things she told me is that every week they do what they call a Gethsemane Hour. On Thursday night at eleven they meet in the chapel and pray a rosary for priests and then spend the hour in solitary prayer "accompanying Jesus in His agony" :love: The more I find out about them the more I think it could be it but I'm actually managing to keep it all in perspective which is AMAZING because I'm not so good at that.
[/quote]

They sound so lovely :love: The Gethsemane Hour sounds beautiful, and I love that they seem to have such a strong devotion to praying for priests. I am glad that the phone call seemed to go well, CT, and I will continue to pray for you!

Thanks for the prayers MS. They actually take a fourth vow to pray for priests! It was kind of funny actually she asked me "have you been on our website?" I started laughing and told her "yes I've read it multiple times in the past month" then she started laughing as well.

[quote name='Catholicterp7' timestamp='1348626860' post='2486791']
Thanks for the prayers MS. They actually take a fourth vow to pray for priests! It was kind of funny actually she asked me "have you been on our website?" I started laughing and told her "yes I've read it multiple times in the past month" then she started laughing as well.
[/quote]

I didn't know that about their fourth vow; that's really cool!!

Every time I contact an order, they tell me to go look at their website. I'm always thinking, "...I've been creeping your website for months! I'm pretty sure I have it memorized."