An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

I told my parents last night. They weren't happy... After I left the room, I heard my dad say, "Where did we go wrong?"

Thank you all so much for your prayers! I could feel the grace coming from them strengthening me and giving me courage. In a way, I'm glad that I've had so much opposition because I'm that much stronger in my vocation. Would I be so confident that this is God's will for me if I hadn't been forced to really examine myself and pray about this because I know this is not what my parents want and I want to love and obey them? I don't think so. I'm learning how to persevere when it's really tough; I've shed more than a few tears. I've had to ask myself if it's worth it to cause my family so much pain, and I've discovered seeking God's will is worth it and the pain won't be there forever. I know many of my VS pham have gone or are going through similar parental opposition--don't become discouraged! Everything will work out in God's plan. I have no idea what's going to happen with my family, but I have complete trust in God and know that He's taking care of it.

You are all in my prayers especially those whose parents don't support them; keep praying for my parents please!

[quote name='Catholicterp7' timestamp='1348623899' post='2486760']
You got it MarisStella!

I talked to Sister Philomena Maria today! :) One of the things she told me is that every week they do what they call a Gethsemane Hour. On Thursday night at eleven they meet in the chapel and pray a rosary for priests and then spend the hour in solitary prayer "accompanying Jesus in His agony" :love: The more I find out about them the more I think it could be it but I'm actually managing to keep it all in perspective which is AMAZING because I'm not so good at that.
JMJ+ :heart:
[/quote]
That's so avvesome CT! Praying for you, the Children of Mary is an amazing order!

Thank you!
I just found out that one of my really good friends goes to the same parish for daily Mass as the Sisters do! :) That means I could see her every day!

Pax, your parents will come around and know that this is a very hard thing for parents even if they are very strong in their faith. They've spent your entire life caring for you and to have you disappear, well it's a battle especially for mom's to fight against that maternal instinct to see and nurture. I've seen parents who have greatly opposed their daughter's vocations and who grieved for months have a change of heart by the end of the first year. They'll be fine, so just pray for them and don't let it distract you.

There's a community that wears blue and yellow! [url="http://divinavocacion.blogspot.com/2011/09/260-orden-y-mandato-de-san-miguel.html?m=1"]http://divinavocacion.blogspot.com/2011/09/260-orden-y-mandato-de-san-miguel.html?m=1[/url] The order of Saint Michael the Arch Angel. WOW!! :)

I haven't been on Phatmass for awhile, but I thought tell you all what's been going on!

I still love my university, even though this semester is incredibly busy (I'm carrying 18 hours, half of which are French and half are in English) and next semester I'm going to France! I've started work at a poverty center and at a speech and hearing clinic and I really enjoy my work even though most of it is really depressing. Our Catholic Center is as wonderful as always! I was put in charge of our social justice group's movie nights and our first one is this Friday! My SD continues to be amazing, and my work with the LCWR sisters is going well.

As far as vocations go, I've been in touch with the VD for a Franciscan order. I hope to visit them next time I go up north to visit my friends. University and my SD have taught me patience in my discernment; although I feel the tug of religious life strongly each day, I know I am supposed to be here right now. My education and social work degree will help my future students and my work as a religous sister. I thank God each day for this gift. I'm even thinking of getting my masters in education before entering, and the Franciscan sisters are incredibly supportive about it.

I look back at the posts I made here when I was 15 and 16 and find myself laughing at my younger self. I was so impatient and wanted religious life right then and nothing was going to stop me. I'm glad God did--to everything there is a time and a place ordained under God!

I still remember all of you in my prayers. please remember me! :nun:

Newbie coming through! :bananarap: I'm discerning with the Sisters of Life right now and I LOVE them! Very beautiful habits and orthodox Catholicism living right in the heart of NYC where sin is so abundant. They have their work cut out for them but if it were easy to get into Heaven, the road would be much wider...

ChristinaTherese

[quote name='SrKateri' timestamp='1349058148' post='2488620']
Newbie coming through! :bananarap: I'm discerning with the Sisters of Life right now and I LOVE them! Very beautiful habits and orthodox Catholicism living right in the heart of NYC where sin is so abundant. They have their work cut out for them but if it were easy to get into Heaven, the road would be much wider...
[/quote]
Welcome to Phatmass!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1348540676' post='2486311']
Sr. Marie Veronica said that "as a postulant you should write your family every Sunday and friends a little less. Family can visit probably once a month formally but if they are in the area there is no restriction." I hope telling them that will reassure them some when I talk with them. The sisters won't let me run away without telling them...but I did ask what would happen if my parents told me I couldn't enter.

I don't have any wise words, but I'm praying for you!
[/quote]

That's amesome! I've never seen a male Monastic Community that allowed such frequent visits. Male Communities in general are pretty rough about visits. I know of one Community that only allows your family to visit for one week every two years (Or something like that. It may have been three years).

i<3franciscans

[/quote]

Hey!!! Welcome to the PHAMILY!!!!

Catholicterp7

[/quote]
HI! :wave: Nice to have you here The SVs are such a beautiful community!

I had spiritual direction today and I got the go ahead to pursue discernment with the Children of Mary!! :yahoo: :dancer1: :woot: :dance:
Can you tell I'm slightly excited? Jaja :) Now it's only a matter of finding a job! I have a friend who works at the day care at my parish and she said they're hiring. Please pray! It really would be the ideal job so I'm hoping/praying that it works out but of course as He wills.

emmaberry101

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1349714009' post='2491221']
Has anyone ever written to the SVs or CFRs? How long does it take them to respond?
[/quote]

My friend wrote the CFR's (snail mail) about two weeks ago and is waiting to hear back. I emailed the SVs and heard back within two days, though this may have had to do with the fact that Sr Bethany Madonna was on 'email' duty and I know her. :P She's such a lovely Sister:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmgdiNlzM-A