An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='emmaberry101' timestamp='1349720000' post='2491282']
My friend wrote the CFR's (snail mail) about two weeks ago and is waiting to hear back. I emailed the SVs and heard back within two days, though this may have had to do with the fact that Sr Bethany Madonna was on 'email' duty and I know her. :P She's such a lovely Sister:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmgdiNlzM-A[/media]
[/quote]
AAAAAAAAAAAH! I LOVE HER. (Haven't met her - YET - but I know a few people who know her.)

Sisters of Life... :love:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1349714009' post='2491221']
Has anyone ever written to the SVs or CFRs? How long does it take them to respond?
[/quote]

I called Sr. Francis to start with and then mailed them my application for the "Come and See" in June 2009. I didn't hear back until October! She was really embarrassed. :hehe2:

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1349736879' post='2491395']

I called Sr. Francis to start with and then mailed them my application for the "Come and See" in June 2009. I didn't hear back until October! She was really embarrassed. :hehe2:
[/quote]
I didn't write to Sr. Francis (yet). I wrote to one of the sisters I met this summer, but after I hear back from her I was planning on calling or writing to Sr. Francis. :)

I hope her response doesn't take months!

:wall:

:sad: :cry3: :cry4: :cry:
How can I obey my parents when they won't even let me visit the monastery anymore?

On the bright side, I get to go out and drink this week. :cheers: Pilgrimage to St. Joseph's Oratory; drinking age in Quebec: 18! My parents let me drink but not visit nuns :blink: Edited by Pax_et bonum

PhuturePriest

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1349714009' post='2491221']
Has anyone ever written to the SVs or CFRs? How long does it take them to respond?
[/quote]

In my experience it takes them forever. I had a few phone calls with the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal and a lot of the time they didn't respond, and they supposedly promised to call back on the machine, but they never did. <_< I had to keep calling until they talked to me. Be patient and don't expect them to be speedy. :hehe:

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1350152683' post='2493115']

How can I obey my parents when they won't even let me visit the monastery anymore?

On the bright side, I get to go out and drink this week. :cheers: Pilgrimage to St. Joseph's Oratory; drinking age in Quebec: 18! My parents let me drink but not visit nuns :blink:
[/quote]

They forbade you? Don't they know that you're so close to being accepted anyway?

On the bright side, I get to go out and drink this week. :cheers: Pilgrimage to St. Joseph's Oratory; drinking age in Quebec: 18! My parents let me drink but not visit nuns :blink:
[/quote]

whaaaaaat?? :frown:

[/quote]

You are 18 right? Legally, you are allowed to do what you want. Though I'm not opposed to obeying your parents, God's will comes before all else. If the nuns have given you an application and you are on your way to possibly entering, you need to make regular visits. How else will you get more acquainted with them? Prayers!

Yep, and I turn 19 in a few weeks. I don't know what to do. The sisters are expecting me, and it's not like I can call them and talk to them about it. They take a vow of obedience, what does it say to them about me if I go visit and disobey my parents? Last I was there, I was told I could enter even if my parents wouldn't let me, but I don't know if that extends to visiting.

[/quote]

Oh no Pax! Praying for your parents. :pray: I really hope this works out! How is your application coming by the way?

[color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)][quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1350164084' post='2493158']
Yep, and I turn 19 in a few weeks. I don't know what to do. The sisters are expecting me, and it's not like I can call them and talk to them about it. They take a vow of obedience, what does it say to them about me if I go visit and disobey my parents? Last I was there, I was told I could enter even if my parents wouldn't let me, but I don't know if that extends to visiting.
[/quote]

Entering is a far larger matter than a visit, so I would assume their stance on entering without your parents permission would extend to lesser matters such as visits and things of that nature.

That said, just to be safe I would write the Monastery (or call if they have a phone-this is urgent business and the Mother Abbess will be glad that you spoke with her about it!) and let them know of the situation. They can counsel you on how to proceed concerning visits, and I am sure they will [s]half[/s] have wonderful comforting advice for you.

I can't imagine how hard this is on you.. I know how hard it was for me when my [i]Granny[/i] was not supportive at all, I cannot fathom how terrible it must be to feel the same thing from your [i]parents[/i]. Again, many prayers for you!!! Please keep us updated.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Edit: Also, I would not think too much about how disobedient you might look to the nuns, as they have given you the ok to disobey your parents and enter. Obedience to God is first for them and for you as well. Again, that must be a hard position to be in, but I can say with certainty that it does not reflect badly on you from the nuns' point of view... If anything, it'll only keep you in their prayers even more and their compassion for you is probably deepening as well. I know Mother Abbess was very tender and compassionate with me when I was dealing with unsupportive family members. I have a feeling she may have experienced this before entering as well. It was almost a bonding moment for us. Definitely keep Mother informed and look to her for guidance as you prepare to enter![/background][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by emmaberry101

• 2 weeks later...

From the Whitesville Passionists, on the Passionist habit: http://www.passionistnuns.org/MothersNotebook/Habit/index.htm

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1350164084' post='2493158']
[/quote]

I know many of my sisters had to go against their parents wishes in order to discern/enter. Your sisters WILL have experienced something like this before - your parents are by now means the first to oppose a vocation. Your sisters will not think any less of you for having to go against their wishes - they will think more of you for being willing to follow your vocation in spite of their opposition.

My mother is opposed to my discernment so I can understand entirely how difficult it is. When I went for my live-in, I didn't even tell her until the morning I left for the abbey. (For the record, not a recommended course of action).

Clare~Therese

There was this incident back in August...

[quote] [I was] in Adoration and some random lady [I've] never met before who's in the middle of saying the rosary, stopped to ask [me] if [I've] visited the local PCC convent and then suggests you visit them. Unknown to her, [I'm] already in a letter correspondence with this community.
[/quote]

I just recently managed to write a letter to Madre D. about it & asked nicely if a short weekend visit sort of thing (in the extern area) was a possibility. And she replied, yes, it is a possibility, and that that sort of thing is generally reserved for people "interested in [their] way of life."
But we still need to figure out timing that works out well for everybody involved. :hehe2:

[/quote]
I can identify with this quandry. My question is do you live on your own or are you still living with your parents? If you are still living with your parents than you should do your best to obey them.
If you are living on your own then don't flaunt it but do what you feel best as far as visiting.
Definitely talk with the Sisters and see what they think.

Personally I think forbidding visits is a common response from parents when they get freaked out about a child's vocation. Pray for them!

Unfortunately for this, I live with my parents. I didn't visit them this weekend. I will ask them what to do when I get a chance to write; my problem for this weekend was I didn't have time to talk to them about it before.