An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='10 June 2010 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1276212170' post='2126995']
It sounds perfectly normal to me, unless you start wearing a long white nightgown, with a towel covering your head, and sandals, and going to the grocery store dressed that way. That might be considered "too much" except in certain towns in California. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]
[/quote]

:rolling:

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='10 June 2010 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1276207324' post='2126963']
So, this may be very indicative of my super immaturity, but today before Mass I was daydreaming (not so much a day-dream as... I don't know, just a feeling? It just kind of happened outside of my control) of being in habit. And it made me wish all the more that I could actually be in formation [i]now[/i].
[/quote]

ya that's happened to me too.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='10 June 2010 - 08:22 PM' timestamp='1276212170' post='2126995']
It sounds perfectly normal to me, unless you start wearing a long white nightgown, with a towel covering your head, and sandals, and going to the grocery store dressed that way. That might be considered "too much" except in certain towns in California. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Haha, I'm good then. :-D

Hm. Random thought. I'm [i]terrible[/i] at cooking. I think I'll get thrown out of the convent the first time I'm asked to cook!!

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='10 June 2010 - 08:58 PM' timestamp='1276217920' post='2127036']

Hm. Random thought. I'm [i]terrible[/i] at cooking. I think I'll get thrown out of the convent the first time I'm asked to cook!!
[/quote]

No, that's the magic of the convent! It turns straw into gold. If you cook well, it is a treat for your sisters... if you cook badly, it's an opportunity for you to grow in humility and them in patience and mortification of the senses. :saint: Or, they might just assign you to a different area of the convent, far, far from the kitchen. Patience has limits... :lol_roll:

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='10 June 2010 - 08:58 PM' timestamp='1276217920' post='2127036']

[/quote]
Im with you there. Ive already had all the sisters ask me multiple times if i could cook. Im perfectly horrible at it. But, as its been said, its a great place to grow in humility; especially when theyll eat it so it doesnt go to waste not matter how had it tastes. :P

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='10 June 2010 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1276219247' post='2127045']
No, that's the magic of the convent! It turns straw into gold. If you cook well, it is a treat for your sisters... if you cook badly, it's an opportunity for you to grow in humility and them in patience and mortification of the senses. :saint:
[/quote]

:lol: Amen! Hahaha!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='10 June 2010 - 06:02 PM' timestamp='1276207324' post='2126963']
So, this may be very indicative of my super immaturity, but today before Mass I was daydreaming (not so much a day-dream as... I don't know, just a feeling? It just kind of happened outside of my control) of being in habit. And it made me wish all the more that I could actually be in formation [i]now[/i].
[/quote]

When I was discerning with another community where I was so sure I would enter there, I dreamed one night that I was wearing their habit. :) However, it was not to be and I did not enter there.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='10 June 2010 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1276212170' post='2126995']
[/quote]

:rolling:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='10 June 2010 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1276207324' post='2126963']
[/quote]

JMJ
Funny you should say that. One time I was praying, and for an instant, I felt like I was in a full habit...I felt the veil move when I moved!

A food related conversation between me and a Sister.

Sister "are you getting enough to eat? (this was a common question along with am I sleepng well. The answer was always an honest yes!)
Me "yes definitely! I wasn't expecting the food to be so good."
Sister (amused) "did you expect just bread and water?"
Me ( laughing) "no, but if that's all it was I bet it would still be really good bread and water because everything is made with love." I meant it too then I think she asked me if I can cook. One of the many times I was asked btw. I am an able cook but that's probably the only thing I'm good at in terms of convent skills. Oh I can clean too, I'm not quite like Monica on Friends but in that range.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='vee8' date='10 June 2010 - 11:33 PM' timestamp='1276223623' post='2127083']
A food related conversation between me and a Sister.

Sister "are you getting enough to eat? (this was a common question along with am I sleepng well. The answer was always an honest yes!)
Me "yes definitely! I wasn't expecting the food to be so good."
Sister (amused) "did you expect just bread and water?"
Me ( laughing) "no, but if that's all it was I bet it would still be really good bread and water because everything is made with love." I meant it too then I think she asked me if I can cook. One of the many times I was asked btw. I am an able cook but that's probably the only thing I'm good at in terms of convent skills. Oh I can clean too, I'm not quite like Monica on Friends but in that range.
[/quote]

Haha!!

I'm not very good at cleaning either. Or sewing. Or, well, any of those "womanly" things.

I'm doomed.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='10 June 2010 - 09:37 PM' timestamp='1276223857' post='2127085']
Haha!!

I'm not very good at cleaning either. Or sewing. Or, well, any of those "womanly" things.

I'm doomed.
[/quote]

I'm sure the older sisters must be used to people like us who show up and don't know how to do much. We probably increase their degree of holiness though for having to put up with us. :saint:

laetitia crucis

I remember one of the Novice Mistress Assistants saying to us (in a light-hearted manner) something along the lines of, "We see it year after year, especially these days: girls enter and have no idea how to cook, clean, iron, or even make their beds!"

(I remember thinking to myself, "Man... I remember before convent-life, making my bed was a good ten minute affair if not longer -- now it's down to ONE minute (unless I have to change sheets, then it's probably four-five minutes)! Same for ironing." :hehe: )

That Sister, though lightly joking, was seriously speaking the truth about many of us! During postulancy, many of my fellow classmates joked about how they were horrible cooks, or had never cooked a day in their lives... and well, like Thomist said, there's GRACE that come when you enter the convent. Somehow, I was never food-poisoned, nor disgusted by anyone's cooking... nothing ever caught on fire... although I did burn an iron-shaped imprint into one side of my scapular in the habit-wearing-newbie days. :paperbag:

Oh, and since I was one of the assigned "Clean Team" Sisters, I think I could now be considered an expert in the Art of Cleaning Toilets and Fighting Soap Scum. I've had a good bit of experience cleaning pretty much... everything. Hah. :topsy:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='11 June 2010 - 07:40 AM' timestamp='1276252800' post='2127146']
I remember one of the Novice Mistress Assistants saying to us (in a light-hearted manner) something along the lines of, "We see it year after year, especially these days: girls enter and have no idea how to cook, clean, iron, or even make their beds!"

(I remember thinking to myself, "Man... I remember before convent-life, making my bed was a good ten minute affair if not longer -- now it's down to ONE minute (unless I have to change sheets, then it's probably four-five minutes)! Same for ironing." :hehe: )

That Sister, though lightly joking, was seriously speaking the truth about many of us! During postulancy, many of my fellow classmates joked about how they were horrible cooks, or had never cooked a day in their lives... and well, like Thomist said, there's GRACE that come when you enter the convent. Somehow, I was never food-poisoned, nor disgusted by anyone's cooking... nothing ever caught on fire... although I did burn an iron-shaped imprint into one side of my scapular in the habit-wearing-newbie days. :paperbag:

Oh, and since I was one of the assigned "Clean Team" Sisters, I think I could now be considered an expert in the Art of Cleaning Toilets and Fighting Soap Scum. I've had a good bit of experience cleaning pretty much... everything. Hah. :topsy:
[/quote]

Well, at least I can make a bed. ;-) Unless it has one of those "loose" sheets on it... I've never understood those things. They always end up at the bottom of the bed for me, which makes it super difficult to make the bed!!!

I think I'd be okay at cleaning if I were told [i]what[/i] to do. Same with cooking. I'm swell at following directions when it comes to these things. I just can't use any of my innovativeness when it comes to practical things. I can theorize about the theoretical till my face turns blue... but direct me toward something practical... and frankly... I get bored.

Is it just me or does France seem to have a high number of slightly off the wall saints, especially female saints? Let's see... St Bernadette, Joan d'Arc, St Therese, not canonized yet but Bl Elizabeth of the Trinity, and as today is the feast of the Sacred Heart St Marguerite Marie Alacoque, Anyone else? :scratchhead:

Edited by vee8

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='11 June 2010 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1276285743' post='2127401']
Is it just me or does France seem to have a high number of slightly off the wall saints, especially female saints? Let's see... St Bernadette, Joan d'Arc, St Therese, not canonized yet but Bl Elizabeth of the Trinity, and as today is the feast of the Sacred Heart St Marguerite Marie Alacoque, Anyone else? :scratchhead:
[/quote]

:lol: I think both France and Italy give the rest of the world a run for their money when it comes to slightly off the wall saints. Hehehehe. :topsy: