An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

maximillion

[quote][color=#282828]You are welcome to a share of the 'blue footed ones' just don't use the "B" word with them - I was (with great kindness and glee!) 'reprimanded' for using the word because that word could get us in trouble for using 'bad language'... I guess from the 'politically correct' website review police.[/color]
[/quote]

This is ridiculous! Their correct species title is "Blue Footed Booby" and I am sorry but if phatmass can't be adult about this than I am about to lose my faith!

Hahaha! We had the same issue talking about pussywillow for the Holy Week services... some people were falling about in hysterics and others just didn't see what was funny.

Edit: Maximillion & AnneLine, you've both sent me PMs recently - I'm not ignoring you, but it'll be a day or two before I've come down to earth again! Hope you understand :)

Edited by marigold

O Maximillion,not to worry -- the problem isn't with PHATmass or Phatmassers!

A while back some other group gave Phatmass a "Yellow" rating because of some silly bit of content like that. That's why some of the old-timers (who are also mgmt around here) teasingly told me not to post videos of them... and I was having a bit of additional fun with Antigonos.

I think we are all in agreement about the BlueFoots.

Similar story:

I had a boss at one point (who was a fundamentalist, born-again Christian) who brought me into his office and scolded me about swearing at the front reception desk. (HUH? I thought, what is he TALKING about, I wondered?) I asked him what he was talking about. He carefully looked both ways down the hall, and with a lowered voice he said, "It was reported to me that you said 'Hell' while at the reception desk. I heard you, too! You must not do it again!" All I could think of was, I don't think so, but even if I did, all I could think of was, oh, good grief! But I agreed.

Two days later, while I was again relieving on the reception desk, he came bounding into the reception area, and pointed at me and said with an outraged look, 'there you did it again! I just heard you do it again, and I told you not to!'

Everyone in the area looked at him as if to say, what is your problem?... and then one woman burst out laughing, and then pointed at him and at me. Once she stopped sputtering, she told the boss (who was from one of the Southern states and had a pretty strong Southern twang), "Craig! She didn't say anything about 'hell'. She used the expression 'hail Columbia'. Suddenly we all heard it through the ears of a Southerner-- 'haaaaill Columbia'! Needless to say, we all had a good laugh.

I totally agree about the birds, but I can also understand why they wanted me to avoid the word... something taken out of context can create huge headaches for dUSt.

But I do think they would make stunning May Dominicans! :)

Edited by AnneLine

[img]http://www.for-wild.org/download/nowak/pussywillow.jpg[/img][quote name='marigold' timestamp='1334515766' post='2418234']
Hahaha! We had the same issue talking about pussywillow for the Holy Week services... some people were falling about in hysterics and others just didn't see what was funny.

Edit: Maximillion & AnneLine, you've both sent me PMs recently - I'm not ignoring you, but it'll be a day or two before I've come down to earth again! Hope you understand :)
[/quote]

Ah, yes, those cute little fuzzy branches that you use in place of palms on 'PW" Sunday! And the Italians use Olive Branches! Love the different variations!!!

Edited by AnneLine

maximillion

[quote][color=#282828]O Maximillion,not to worry -- the problem isn't with PHATmass or Phatmassers![/color][/quote]

Ahhhh.....vast relief, I get to keep my faith then!

TheresaThoma

I get these Saint of the Day emails and the last line at the end of a recent one made me smile. I think most of us here can identify with it;
"[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Holiness is always a bit mad by earthly standards."[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Just a thought for the day.[/size][/font][/color]

• 3 weeks later...
AveMariaPurissima

Yesterday one of the Sisters from the community I hope to enter called me. She said they talked to Mother, and Mother said I can enter on September 8th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She also gave me the list of items I need to bring. I am sooooooooo excited and happy!!!!!! :yahoo: :nun2: :smile4: :clap: :dance3:

Mary's Margaret

What wonderful news, AMP. Praying for you. Perhaps you'll start a "count down" thread so we can journey with you?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1336262276' post='2427476']
Yesterday one of the Sisters from the community I hope to enter called me. She said they talked to Mother, and Mother said I can enter on September 8th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She also gave me the list of items I need to bring. I am sooooooooo excited and happy!!!!!! :yahoo: :nun2: :smile4: :clap: :dance3:
[/quote]

WONDERFUL!!!! I love hearing about entrance dates!!!! :flowers: :nun1:

OnlySunshine

On that positive note, my friend, who entered a religious order in New England, received her religious name on Friday. This order gives their postulants religious names when they first come in. You only spend one year in a white veil, too, which I thought was a little unusual. There are still 2 years of novitiate, however. Anyway, her name is Sr. Mary John! I'm planning to go to the gift shop tomorrow to find a prayer card of St. John the Beloved, her patron. I am so happy for her! She desperately wishes that I was called to the same order, but I strongly feel called towards the one my pastor is trying to get me into. Maybe one day, our paths will cross again and we will see each other in our respective religious habits! That'd be amesome!

LaPetiteSoeur

Well, the meeting with the NDs was totally avvesome! I had never actually met one before, and they were so wonderful and nice and welcoming. I think I'm possibly going to contact Sr. Mary Emily (again, she's probably like "this girl, again?") and talk to her.

One of the things I was really, really worried about with the NDs and the reason I stopped really considering them (after discerning for three years!) was the mistaken thought of mine that they didn't work in inner-city schools or with children of need. Turns out, i was completely wrong, and have been chastised by my conscience and my grandmother.

Speaking of my grandmother, she was wholly excited and has wanted me to go on a retreat with the NDs since I told her two years ago about my vocation. We'll see.

Please pray for me, as I pray for all of you!!

AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1336334182' post='2427717']
Well, the meeting with the NDs was totally avvesome! I had never actually met one before, and they were so wonderful and nice and welcoming. I think I'm possibly going to contact Sr. Mary Emily (again, she's probably like "this girl, again?") and talk to her.

One of the things I was really, really worried about with the NDs and the reason I stopped really considering them (after discerning for three years!) was the mistaken thought of mine that they didn't work in inner-city schools or with children of need. Turns out, i was completely wrong, and have been chastised by my conscience and my grandmother.

Speaking of my grandmother, she was wholly excited and has wanted me to go on a retreat with the NDs since I told her two years ago about my vocation. We'll see.

Please pray for me, as I pray for all of you!!
[/quote]
That's great! :)