An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='11 June 2010 - 03:58 PM' timestamp='1276286281' post='2127410']
:lol: I think both France and Italy give the rest of the world a run for their money when it comes to slightly off the wall saints. Hehehehe. :topsy:
[/quote]
Don't forget about Spain. I mean seriously. Hound of God? C'mon. :P
I think St. Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross kinda top the list. :wacko:

Random wonder: which European country produced the most saints?

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JTheresa' date='11 June 2010 - 05:33 PM' timestamp='1276291993' post='2127479']
Don't forget about Spain. I mean seriously. Hound of God? C'mon. :P
I think St. Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross kinda top the list. :wacko:

Random wonder: which European country produced the most saints?
[/quote]

Ah, so, SO true! :rolling: In addition to...

- St. Ignatius Loyola :love:
- St. Francis Xavier

However, for some reason I don't think St. Francis Xavier was all that off-the-wall (but then again, I don't know as much about him as I do Ignatius), and as I'm learning more about Dominic, he doesn't seem all that off-the-wall either....yet. :hehehe:

:think:

Let's see.. who else?

Well, we've already mentioned St. Mary Magadalene de Pazzi. The one that would wake her Sisters up in the middle of the night, ringing bells like a madwoman, etc... she's Italian. :hehe:

TeresaBenedicta

I'm pretty sure St. Francis counts as "off the wall."

I always think of a dysfunctional teenager when he takes off his clothes in front of everyone and throws them at his father, stomping off angrily. Haha.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='11 June 2010 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1276296223' post='2127506']

I always think of a dysfunctional teenager when he takes off his clothes in front of everyone and throws them at his father, stomping off angrily. Haha.
[/quote]

Did St. Francis do that? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img]

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='11 June 2010 - 08:01 PM' timestamp='1276297274' post='2127514']
Did St. Francis do that? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Not the best telling of the story, but it'll do:

[i]His search for conversion led him to the ancient church at San Damiano. While he was praying there, he heard Christ on the crucifix speak to him, "Francis, repair my church." Francis assumed this meant church with a small c -- the crumbling building he was in. Acting again in his impetuous way, he took fabric from his father's shop and sold it to get money to repair the church. His father saw this as an act of theft -- and put together with Francis' cowardice, waste of money, and his growing disinterest in money made Francis seem more like a madman than his son. Pietro dragged Francis before the bishop and in front of the whole town demanded that Francis return the money and renounce all rights as his heir.

The bishop was very kind to Francis; he told him to return the money and said God would provide. That was all Francis needed to hear. He not only gave back the money but stripped off all his clothes -- the clothes his father had given him -- until he was wearing only a hair shirt. In front of the crowd that had gathered he said, "Pietro Bernardone is no longer my father. From now on I can say with complete freedom, 'Our Father who art in heaven.'" Wearing nothing but castoff rags, he went off into the freezing woods -- singing. And when robbers beat him later and took his clothes, he climbed out of the ditch and went off singing again. From then on Francis had nothing...and everything.[/i]
-From http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=50

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='11 June 2010 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1276296223' post='2127506']

[/quote]

:lol: Oh yes, most definitely "off the wall"! Hehehehe.

Must have been one of the biggest shocks for Assisi in that moment. :clapping:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='11 June 2010 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1276297883' post='2127519']
Not the best telling of the story, but it'll do:

[i]His search for conversion led him to the ancient church at San Damiano. While he was praying there, he heard Christ on the crucifix speak to him, "Francis, repair my church." Francis assumed this meant church with a small c -- the crumbling building he was in. Acting again in his impetuous way, he took fabric from his father's shop and sold it to get money to repair the church. His father saw this as an act of theft -- and put together with Francis' cowardice, waste of money, and his growing disinterest in money made Francis seem more like a madman than his son. Pietro dragged Francis before the bishop and in front of the whole town demanded that Francis return the money and renounce all rights as his heir.

The bishop was very kind to Francis; he told him to return the money and said God would provide. That was all Francis needed to hear. He not only gave back the money but stripped off all his clothes -- the clothes his father had given him -- until he was wearing only a hair shirt. In front of the crowd that had gathered he said, "Pietro Bernardone is no longer my father. From now on I can say with complete freedom, 'Our Father who art in heaven.'" Wearing nothing but castoff rags, he went off into the freezing woods -- singing. And when robbers beat him later and took his clothes, he climbed out of the ditch and went off singing again. From then on Francis had nothing...and everything.[/i]
-From [url="http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=50"]http://www.catholic....php?saint_id=50[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the story. St. Francis was quite a guy! (When you're not raised Catholic, you're not taught much about the lives of the saints, so I'd never heard this before.)

I can only think of how mad those robbers were when they beat St. Francis, and all they got out of it was a hair shirt and no money! Serves them right!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='11 June 2010 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1276296223' post='2127506']

[/quote]
I'd like to think of saint Francis as the founder of "off the wall" sanctity lol. His idea of perfect joy was being turned away from his own friary by his own brothers! He went everywhere in every situation, singing!!! Would have joyfully walked right through a bonfire for the advancement of Gods kingdom! Sorry, this melancholic could never do that. Not singing. :think: Maybe I'm called to the Franciscan way not because it's my spirituaity, but because it's what I need for holiness.

laetitia crucis

I met my archbishop today and asked for his prayers. :)

The "Helpers of God's Precious Infants" group in my diocese had Mass this morning (Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary :love: ) at the Cathedral -- which was celebrated by our archbishop and concelebrated by several diocesan priests. After Mass we had exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, a few minutes of prayer, and then a majority of us processed down to the local abortion clinic praying the rosary. We stayed for about an hour praying the rosary and singing hymns. (The Archbishop lead the prayers and hymns -- I thought that was really neat.) After processing back to the Cathedral we had Benediction and then breakfast together. Someone said there were around 300 people for this event. :o :clapping:

Spiffy side notes: It began raining during the 5th Sorrowful Mystery and stopped as soon as the mystery finished. Then it rained during the entire Divine Mercy chaplet and stopped as soon as that finished, too. :smokey:

Dominicansoul had posted a thread in OpenMic about priests praying outside of abortion clinics -- the pictures she posted kept coming to mind when I saw my own diocese's priests praying today. All I can say is, "Blessed be God!" :yahoo:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='12 June 2010 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1276363557' post='2127739']

The "Helpers of God's Precious Infants" group in my diocese had Mass this morning (Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary :love: ) at the Cathedral -- which was celebrated by our archbishop and concelebrated by several diocesan priests. After Mass we had exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, a few minutes of prayer, and then a majority of us processed down to the local abortion clinic praying the rosary. We stayed for about an hour praying the rosary and singing hymns. (The Archbishop lead the prayers and hymns -- I thought that was really neat.) After processing back to the Cathedral we had Benediction and then breakfast together. Someone said there were around 300 people for this event. :o :clapping:

Spiffy side notes: It began raining during the 5th Sorrowful Mystery and stopped as soon as the mystery finished. Then it rained during the entire Divine Mercy chaplet and stopped as soon as that finished, too. :smokey:

Dominicansoul had posted a thread in OpenMic about priests praying outside of abortion clinics -- the pictures she posted kept coming to mind when I saw my own diocese's priests praying today. All I can say is, "Blessed be God!" :yahoo:
[/quote]

I MISSED THE FEAST OF THE IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY??!!

:boink:

Ugh. I hate Saturdays. I always forget to pray my brievary and I don't go to daily Mass.

:weep:

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='13 June 2010 - 12:25 AM' timestamp='1276406724' post='2128006']

Ugh. I hate Saturdays. I always forget to pray my brievary and I don't go to daily Mass.

[/quote]

Ya how could you!!! :shock: it's ok though :console: Shes the perfect mother and not confined to our earthly time so just celebrate today instead :)

BTW for anyone who wants to do the 30 day consecration to Jesus through Mary and end it on the feast of Our Lady of Mt Carmel (July16) you'll have to start it soon :))

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='12 June 2010 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1276363557' post='2127739']

[/quote]

At least [i]someone[/i] remembered to celebrate the feast of the Immaculate Heart :P :topsy:
Your post is all epic win, including the spiffy side notes :twothumbsup:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='13 June 2010 - 01:25 AM' timestamp='1276406724' post='2128006']

[/quote]

:console:

No worries, I am sure in future years you'll never forget it! ;) Usually when I forget something big (at least in my little world :lol: ) it somehow becomes [i]burned[/i] into my memory for the future... various dates, or even simple questions from an exam that I [i]knew[/i] I knew, but somehow in the moment of testing, I had forgotten. :annoyed: :doh:

[quote name='vee8' date='13 June 2010 - 08:52 AM' timestamp='1276433526' post='2128046']
At least [i]someone[/i] remembered to celebrate the feast of the Immaculate Heart :P :topsy:
Your post is all epic win, including the spiffy side notes :twothumbsup:
[/quote]

:lol: Hahahah!

Jennifer G.

[quote name='vee8' date='31 May 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1275357025' post='2121793']
Uh oh :mellow: anything involving Therese is never random IMO. I wonder what she wants to give you? Do any novena to her and find out :evil: :evil: :evil:
[/quote]

I seem to randomly come across Port Tobacco Carmel all the time! Even when I clicked in one of the links in the above post about a nun who used to be a pilot. She's the one who restored Port Tobacco Carmel!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Jennifer G.' date='13 June 2010 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1276474470' post='2128303']
I seem to randomly come across Port Tobacco Carmel all the time! Even when I clicked in one of the links in the above post about a nun who used to be a pilot. She's the one who restored Port Tobacco Carmel!
[/quote]

Perhaps it's a little nudge from God? I seem to get them all the time now. Most recently, I got the nudge to go back to nursing school. He won't leave me alone! I think if something keeps coming up, like the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne are for me, you must check it out. I plan to visit them very soon. :)