An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='27 June 2010 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1277696335' post='2135208']
Just found out that the last of my "possible" donors fell through. :sadder: Alas. But, God's will be done.
[/quote]

The saying when God closes a door He opens a window comes to mind but I know how you feel. It's like why did you close that door God, and where is the window! Prayers for you as God leads you to that window.

Edited to add

And when you see that window and it's not in the least way what you might have expected or desired, that you continue to follow the Lord in faith, hope, and love.

Edited by vee8

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='27 June 2010 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1277696335' post='2135208']
Just found out that the last of my "possible" donors fell through. :sadder: Alas. But, God's will be done.
[/quote]

I'm so sorry to hear that. :console:

I believe God will find a way for you to enter. It may not seem that way now, but with God, all is possible.

laetitia crucis

Ahhhhhhhhh!

I just now booked my [b]one-way[/b] flight.

:paperbag:

I kind of spaz out a bit when I spend big chunks of money -- which obviously does not happen very often. :sweat: Especially when it all comes down to clicking the "continue" button.

:wacko:

Now it's on to the Visa process.... :bigpray:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 June 2010 - 02:55 PM' timestamp='1277747739' post='2135366']
Ahhhhhhhhh!

I kind of spaz out a bit when I spend big chunks of money -- which obviously does not happen very often. :sweat: Especially when it all comes down to clicking the "continue" button.

[/quote]

Prayers, lc!!!

TeresaBenedicta

Learning love lessons that are normally learnt in marriage:

Watching my brother's three little kids again, for three days. They're aged 1 & 1/2, 3, and almost 6. Kylie-Jo, Konner, and Korey, respectively. (The 'KKK', for short.) The youngest, little Miss Kylie, has decided that she likes to take her diaper off after we put her down for bed. Which makes for... something of a terrible mess come morning time. :blink: I don't think I've ever seen [i]that much baby poo[/i] in my life. It was [i]everywhere[/i]. She was covered in it, her blankets, the playpen... :shock:

Now, normally I would have turned off and run in the opposite direction!! Ewwww!! But there's something about love that changes these types of situation (and there be no other adult to recourse to, haha). You don't even think about [i]not[/i] doing anything. You just do it.

Watching these kids gives me something a look into the sacrifices of marriage. Tougher than I'd have imagine!! :wacko:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 June 2010 - 12:55 PM' timestamp='1277747739' post='2135366']
Ahhhhhhhhh!

[/quote]

:lol: :console: :pray:

I'm so happy for you!!

Soooo... when do you leave :sadder: if you don't mind saying that is.
:sadder: <---- is because you'll be leaving VS. but :yahoo: :woot: etc.because you'll be entering the Dominicans :thumbsup:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='28 June 2010 - 06:18 PM' timestamp='1277763515' post='2135492']
Learning love lessons that are normally learnt in marriage:

Watching my brother's three little kids again, for three days. They're aged 1 & 1/2, 3, and almost 6. Kylie-Jo, Konner, and Korey, respectively. (The 'KKK', for short.) The youngest, little Miss Kylie, has decided that she likes to take her diaper off after we put her down for bed. Which makes for... something of a terrible mess come morning time. :blink: I don't think I've ever seen [i]that much baby poo[/i] in my life. It was [i]everywhere[/i]. She was covered in it, her blankets, the playpen... :shock:

Now, normally I would have turned off and run in the opposite direction!! Ewwww!! But there's something about love that changes these types of situation (and there be no other adult to recourse to, haha). You don't even think about [i]not[/i] doing anything. You just do it.

Watching these kids gives me something a look into the sacrifices of marriage. Tougher than I'd have imagine!! :wacko:
[/quote]

Things like that (and experiencing similar things with my dearest nephew :love: ) definitely help me to see the self-sacrifice involved in the vocation of marriage, and especially of motherhood. Just wow. Sometimes it really hits me... that profound sense of self-sacrifice that my younger sister makes for her own children. It's almost too much for me to ponder... it seriously makes me verklempt. Too beautiful for words.

I give you major kudos for cleaning up all that baby poo. My nephew sometimes has explosive poo... it leaks all over his onesie and I start twitching involuntarily. :blink: Then I see his little face and those little tears... I wonder how someone can melt my heart so. I love that kid.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='28 June 2010 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1277763604' post='2135493']
:lol: :console: :pray:

I'm so happy for you!!

Soooo... when do you leave :sadder: if you don't mind saying that is.
:sadder: <---- is because you'll be leaving VS. but :yahoo: :woot: etc.because you'll be entering the Dominicans :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I will be flying out on October 6th -- maybe I'll see MIKolbe at the Charlotte airport during my layover. :lol: I like Charlotte's airport, especially those nice big Southern rocking chairs. I'll have about five hours between flights. Unfortunately, I will not have Phatmass to fill my time. :sadder:

I'll arrive in London on October 7th at 7:20am. :woot:

And I know without a doubt that I'll be suffering from Phatmass and Vocation Station withdrawal. :weep: I'm going to miss you all [i]so[/i] much!!! :cry: Okay... :doh: musn't think that far ahead! Embrace the time I have here! Carpe diem!

I hope someone will write me to keep me updated on the VS. ;) Feel free to send me prayer intentions!! I think I'll only be able to write home once a month to family, and perhaps twice a year to everyone else. (Hmmm... I'll have to ask for clarifications on this. I'm not 100% on the writing-everyone-else part.) However, I can receive letters at any time of the year. :smokey:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='28 June 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1277769815' post='2135541']
I will be flying out on October 6th -- maybe I'll see MIKolbe at the Charlotte airport during my layover. :lol: I like Charlotte's airport, especially those nice big Southern rocking chairs. I'll have about five hours between flights. Unfortunately, I will not have Phatmass to fill my time. :sadder:

I'll arrive in London on October 7th at 7:20am. :woot:

And I know without a doubt that I'll be suffering from Phatmass and Vocation Station withdrawal. :weep: I'm going to miss you all [i]so[/i] much!!! :cry: Okay... :doh: musn't think that far ahead! Embrace the time I have here! Carpe diem!

I hope someone will write me to keep me updated on the VS. ;) Feel free to send me prayer intentions!! I think I'll only be able to write home once a month to family, and perhaps twice a year to everyone else. (Hmmm... I'll have to ask for clarifications on this. I'm not 100% on the writing-everyone-else part.) However, I can receive letters at any time of the year. :smokey:
[/quote]

An airport with rocking chairs ?!?! :love:

I'd be happy to write even if you can't reply. Especially if you can't reply :evil: [sub] retaliate to all the Dominican jokes I'll send[/sub] :)) I know it's fun to get mail, as long as you don't mind if it's from people you don't actually know like me :topsy:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='28 June 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1277774294' post='2135588']
An airport with rocking chairs ?!?! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/love.gif[/img]

I'd be happy to write even if you can't reply. Especially if you can't reply [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/evil.gif[/img] [sub] retaliate to all the Dominican jokes I'll send[/sub] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/D.gif[/img] I know it's fun to get mail, as long as you don't mind if it's from people you don't actually know like me [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/upsidedown.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Here I am making plans to write letters to L-C and I've never even met her in person!!

I was even thinking that all my frequent filier miles that expire at the end of 2011 are going to go to waste, and wonder if there is ANY way that I can get my body well enough to go to England, since the flight would be free, and I haven't been to the UK in about 6 years (a VERY long time for me!) Now I will KNOW someone in England. Then I remember that L-C has never even met me, and there are certainly lots of other people she'd rather see than me. Unfortunately, I looked into it, and I can't transfer enough of my frequent flier miles to do anyone else any good.

However, at least "I" won't be sending L-C Dominican jokes! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img]

And, L-C isn't the only one leaving!!! My comfort is that there will be lots of good people left in VS. I'm GENUINELY happy that so many of you have found "your" place--but my happiness is bittersweet.

BTW--Some airports have computers for hire so perhaps you could log into Phatmass, but it also might be too expensive. Also, at that point, you might be ready just to "get on" with your new adventure. You can say "good-bye" only so many times!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='28 June 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1277775610' post='2135604']
I was thinking the same thing. Here I am making plans to write letters to L-C and I've never even met her in person!!

I was even thinking that all my frequent filier miles that expire at the end of 2011 are going to go to waste, and wonder if there is ANY way that I can get my body well enough to go to England, since the flight would be free, and I haven't been to the UK in about 6 years (a VERY long time for me!) Now I will KNOW someone in England. Then I remember that L-C has never even met me, and there are certainly lots of other people she'd rather see than me. Unfortunately, I looked into it, and I can't transfer enough of my frequent flier miles to do anyone else any good.

However, at least "I" won't be sending L-C Dominican jokes! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img] [/quote]

:saint: but they would be nice jokes because I would only write things that would hopefully pass any kind of Mother Superior censorship.

IofL if you could give away your miles that would be an incredibly generous thing to do. If not and you're only able to use them for yourself I hope you are well enoght to travel before they expire. I have a stash of miles myself which reminds me I better see if and when they expire!

[quote]And, L-C isn't the only one leaving!!! My comfort is that there will be lots of good people left in VS. I'm GENUINELY happy that so many of you have found "your" place--but my happiness is bittersweet. [/quote]
there there :console: I'll likely still be here for a loooong time :P

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='28 June 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1277783559' post='2135670']
If you could give away your miles that would be an incredibly generous thing to do. If not and you're only able to use them for yourself I hope you are well enoght to travel before they expire. I have a stash of miles myself which reminds me I better see if and when they expire!
[/quote]

I've looked into transferring miles, and United (which is where I have my miles) has set in place so many limitations and fees that I wouldn't be able to transfer enough miles to another person to qualify for a free flight.

It's disappointing, because "in the old days" United let you use almost unlimited miles to give free flights to other people. I took my sister and her family to Hawaii. I treated my mother to a roundtrip first class ticket to Miami, where she met me for a cruise together. It was a really great way to do something special for someone. Oh well.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='28 June 2010 - 09:18 PM' timestamp='1277774294' post='2135588']
An airport with rocking chairs ?!?! :love:

I'd be happy to write even if you can't reply. Especially if you can't reply :evil: [sub] retaliate to all the Dominican jokes I'll send[/sub] :)) I know it's fun to get mail, as long as you don't mind if it's from people you don't actually know like me :topsy:
[/quote]

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='28 June 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1277775610' post='2135604']

However, at least "I" won't be sending L-C Dominican jokes! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img]

And, L-C isn't the only one leaving!!! My comfort is that there will be lots of good people left in VS. I'm GENUINELY happy that so many of you have found "your" place--but my happiness is bittersweet.

BTW--Some airports have computers for hire so perhaps you could log into Phatmass, but it also might be too expensive. Also, at that point, you might be ready just to "get on" with your new adventure. You can say "good-bye" only so many times!
[/quote]

:lol: I would love mail (and jokes!) from both of you! :grouphug: And if it so happened that one day, Ignatius' health would permit her to come across the pond to see me, I'd be THRILLED!!! :woot: Perhaps you could hide vee8 and dominicansoul in your luggage... :evil:

Bittersweet is a good way of describing my own experience as well. I mean, before I just flew a few hours to the East Coast. Phone calls home were domestic. No time change. The physical closeness seemed somewhat like... well, perhaps like a "safety" of sorts. Granted, I never had visitors (because of my friends/family's finances), except for my investiture and First Vows -- which were a very small group of people (but I thank God that they were able to come!) This time, well... a hop across the pond isn't financially doable for that same small group of people that would like to show their support and see me. Unfortunately, carpooling across the ocean isn't possible... :hehe: Heck, I have to have a real Visa for the first in my life! :lol: I can't help but think, "Man, this is [i]serious[/i] business!" (Not that my last experience wasn't serious -- it was, too.)

God never ceases to amuse and amaze me. He's unexpectedly brought a lot of my family home for the first time in several years. My family and I have never been that close, but somehow... I do believe God has brought me back home to grow closer to them. That in itself is an unexpected twist (and blessing) on things. Last time, no one was around. I was living in another part of the state. And well.. I just left. Everything happened [i]really[/i] quickly. This time... there's been a lot of preparation, and hopefully a better understanding for my family. I guess it's a good sense of closure for when I actually get on that plane.

I'm pondering having a sort-of "Farewell" party just with my family. A time where they can ask whatever they want about my new life, and hopefully, a time where I can help them to know what I'm getting myself into. I've pondered showing vocation videos, but eh... I don't know if that'd be pushing it too far with them. :sweat: (Oprah might work since she's speaking from such a secular perspective, but the YouTube videos all have this wonky section that shows a close up on a Cheerio.... :annoyed: )

Then with my core group of amazingly wonderful friends, I'd like to do the whole "Bride of Christ" shower. I told them I wanted a Star Trek themed shower. (Teehee.) However, I might have a Star Trek themed birthday instead and just do an over-the-top British themed "Bride of Christ" shower... that seems more appropriate. Hahahha!

Oh, how exciting lc! Prayers for the visa process! Applying for visas is always such a crazy process. :wacko:

That is great that you are feeling more prepared this time. :) I'm sure your family appreciates having time to spend with you and time to understand your vocation better.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='28 June 2010 - 11:10 PM' timestamp='1277784611' post='2135676']
I've looked into transferring miles, and United (which is where I have my miles) has set in place so many limitations and fees that I wouldn't be able to transfer enough miles to another person to qualify for a free flight.

It's disappointing, because "in the old days" United let you use almost unlimited miles to give free flights to other people. I took my sister and her family to Hawaii. I treated my mother to a roundtrip first class ticket to Miami, where she met me for a cruise together. It was a really great way to do something special for someone. Oh well.
[/quote]

Ya Im really disappointed with Uniteds mileage program and because of the changes they made I don't want to collect miles with them anymore. I had a bunch of miles with them and spent them on myself last year, to visit my family, just to get rid of them. The miles not the family! The rest I have are with Delta/nwa and I'm happy with them. I'll let God decide how those get spent., whether it be for myself, my family, or someone else.