An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='29 June 2010 - 07:43 AM' timestamp='1277815392' post='2135735']
:lol: I would love mail (and jokes!) from both of you! :grouphug: And if it so happened that one day, Ignatius' health would permit her to come across the pond to see me, I'd be THRILLED!!! :woot: Perhaps you could hide vee8 and dominicansoul in your luggage... :evil: [/quote]

:ninja:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='29 June 2010 - 09:32 AM' timestamp='1277818325' post='2135748']
Ya Im really disappointed with Uniteds mileage program and because of the changes they made I don't want to collect miles with them anymore. I had a bunch of miles with them and spent them on myself last year, to visit my family, just to get rid of them. The miles not the family! The rest I have are with Delta/nwa and I'm happy with them. I'll let God decide how those get spent., whether it be for myself, my family, or someone else.
[/quote]

I was wondering the various mileage programs as well. I currently have Delta/NWA SkyMiles; however, if they're not used with 12 consecutive months, then they expire. :sadder: I was debating over whether or not to go with Delta this time around, but then decided against it because I wouldn't be using them for over that time period. And then after that I wouldn't be able to use them until [b]two[/b] years after that (God willing!). [size="1"]And U.S. Airways was a little over $100 cheaper...[/size]

Anyhoooo, I decided to go with U.S. Airways and I'm contemplating going with their Miles program [i]after[/i] I (God willing) profess my First Vows. (Then I'd come home once or twice a year from then on.)

However, I will sorely miss being a SkyMiles Medallion member... they get [i]free[/i] checked baggage AND a [b]70lb[/b] weight limit [i]per[/i] piece of baggage. :cry:

Oh well. I need to be working on detachment anyways, right? :sweat:

Does any one have any words of advice concerning U.S. Airways Mileage program? Or would you recommend another one? (Maybe I'll end up going back with Delta/NWA... :idontknow: Although I do prefer flying out of Charlotte instead of Atlanta. :lol: )

Thank you everyone for your continued prayers!! It means the world to me! :love: :grouphug:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='29 June 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1277826619' post='2135776']
I was wondering the various mileage programs as well. I currently have Delta/NWA SkyMiles; however, if they're not used with 12 consecutive months, then they expire. :sadder: I was debating over whether or not to go with Delta this time around, but then decided against it because I wouldn't be using them for over that time period. And then after that I wouldn't be able to use them until [b]two[/b] years after that (God willing!). [size="1"]And U.S. Airways was a little over $100 cheaper...[/size]

Anyhoooo, I decided to go with U.S. Airways and I'm contemplating going with their Miles program [i]after[/i] I (God willing) profess my First Vows. (Then I'd come home once or twice a year from then on.)

[b]However, I will sorely miss being a SkyMiles Medallion member... they get [i]free[/i] checked baggage AND a [b]70lb[/b] weight limit [i]per[/i] piece of baggage. [/b] :cry:

Does any one have any words of advice concerning U.S. Airways Mileage program? Or would you recommend another one? (Maybe I'll end up going back with Delta/NWA... :idontknow: Although I do prefer flying out of Charlotte instead of Atlanta. :lol: )

Thank you everyone for your continued prayers!! It means the world to me! :love: :grouphug:
[/quote]

The reason I always flew Southwest: two free checked bags.

I'm not sure why, with all of my flying from coast to coast for college, my family and I never invested in a mileage program... Anywho, of all the airlines I've flown, Southwest has been the best. I don't know if they do international though.

Oh, lc, you get to come home for visits!!!! :yahoo: Will you be able to check in at VS while you're home? Haha. Btw, I'd also like to be one to write to you, if that seems acceptable to you. ;-)

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='29 June 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1277826619' post='2135776']

However, I will sorely miss being a SkyMiles Medallion member... they get [i]free[/i] checked baggage AND a [b]70lb[/b] weight limit [i]per[/i] piece of baggage. :cry:

[/quote]

I'm going to check but IIRC any kind of activity would keep the miles active, even if you got 100 miles in some online promotion I think that might count with Delta/nwa. I don't know anything about US airways. That's fantastic that you would get to go home once or twice a year. If your family thinks that's bad you could always mention how the Poor Clares and Carmelites never go home ever, and that your family should be grateful you aren't joining one of those orders! :sweat: As for not having 70lb of free checked luggage I don't think you would need it as a Sister I mean what would you pack that would weigh that much? Bronze statues of St Dominic and several complete copies of the Summa?! :topsy:

[quote name='Hilde' date='29 June 2010 - 11:23 AM' timestamp='1277828605' post='2135784']
I'm in ur thread being random

[img]http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/religious/nun2.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Good
:bye:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='29 June 2010 - 12:12 PM' timestamp='1277827932' post='2135779']
The reason I always flew Southwest: two free checked bags.

I'm not sure why, with all of my flying from coast to coast for college, my family and I never invested in a mileage program... Anywho, of all the airlines I've flown, Southwest has been the best. I don't know if they do international though.

Oh, lc, you get to come home for visits!!!! :yahoo: Will you be able to check in at VS while you're home? Haha. Btw, I'd also like to be one to write to you, if that seems acceptable to you. ;-)
[/quote]

TB, it is more than acceptable for you to write to me -- it is absolutely faaaabulous, in my humble opinion! :D

Also, I totally agree with the Southwest love. :love: I really wish they flew international. Actually, I kid you not, right before I went to purchase my US Airways ticket, I checked the Southwest website [i]just in case[/i] they've gone international. (They haven't. :weep: )

While in college I flew Southwest all the time, and even while in the convent. That's how I got my $84 plane ticket to the east coast. (I think that was the right cost... :scratchhead: ) And it seems they've JUST added LaGuardia (LGA) to their destinations/departures. Before, the only airport they flew into NY was Ipswich. That would have saved me some serious bucks there in the past. <_< Oh well.

I'm super excited about being able to come home for visits. (Though, I must admit I always long to go back to the convent soon enough after being home. :lol: ) Not that I want to be "Show and Tell" incarnate, but I do think it offers such a good witness to everyone you come across, especially to family. And yes, even on airplanes! (I've had quite a few really awesome faith-related conversations with perfect strangers on airplanes.)

And yes, I will totally be checking out VS when I make it home. And who knows? Maybe once I'm professed I'll be able to check it out even while in the convent. :idontknow: These Dominicans seems rather technologically savvy -- although, I have yet to see a Blackberry ;) -- so, I guess only time will tell. I'd [i]love[/i] to come back here to the pham!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='29 June 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1277833166' post='2135799']
I'm going to check but IIRC any kind of activity would keep the miles active, even if you got 100 miles in some online promotion I think that might count with Delta/nwa. I don't know anything about US airways. That's fantastic that you would get to go home once or twice a year. If your family thinks that's bad you could always mention how the Poor Clares and Carmelites never go home ever, and that your family should be grateful you aren't joining one of those orders! :sweat: [b]As for not having 70lb of free checked luggage I don't think you would need it as a Sister I mean what would you pack that would weigh that much? Bronze statues of St Dominic and several complete copies of the Summa?! [/b]:topsy:
[/quote]

:unsure:

:hehehe:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Hilde' date='29 June 2010 - 12:23 PM' timestamp='1277828605' post='2135784']
I'm in ur thread being random

[img]http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/religious/nun2.gif[/img]
[/quote]

:shock:

[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/bird.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by laetitia crucis

TeresaBenedicta

If I could ask for extra prayers...

I just spoke with my spiritual director and it looks like I need to enter into a new period of discernment with *my* Order. Not completely taking them off the radar, but there's definitely some stuff to discern about. This comes as a pretty major crush for me, 'cause I absolutely love my Order. :ohno: But, I know that it's God's will to do what we're doing. Doesn't mean I won't stay (well, I haven't entered yet, clearly) with this Order, but we do have to take a small step backwards and ask some questions... And I'm worried the question I have to ask won't be responded to adequately, which itself will be telling. We'll see. God's will be done. Not mine. :sadder:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='30 June 2010 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1277927458' post='2136289']

I just spoke with my spiritual director and it looks like I need to enter into a new period of discernment with *my* Order. Not completely taking them off the radar, but there's definitely some stuff to discern about. This comes as a pretty major crush for me, 'cause I absolutely love my Order. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohno.gif[/img] But, I know that it's God's will to do what we're doing. Doesn't mean I won't stay (well, I haven't entered yet, clearly) with this Order, but we do have to take a small step backwards and ask some questions... And I'm worried the question I have to ask won't be responded to adequately, which itself will be telling. We'll see. God's will be done. Not mine. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sadder.gif[/img]
[/quote]

That has to be so disappointing--I'm so sorry!

I know it's a cliche, and doesn't help how awful you feel, but it IS better that you do this now rather than after entering. When you enter, you want to be able to do so with your whole heart and mind, with NO sneaking reservations at the back of your mind (other than the fact that while entering will be joyful, it will always be at least a little scary, too--but that's normal).

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='30 June 2010 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1277927458' post='2136289']

I just spoke with my spiritual director and it looks like I need to enter into a new period of discernment with *my* Order. Not completely taking them off the radar, but there's definitely some stuff to discern about. This comes as a pretty major crush for me, 'cause I absolutely love my Order. :ohno: But, I know that it's God's will to do what we're doing. Doesn't mean I won't stay (well, I haven't entered yet, clearly) with this Order, but we do have to take a small step backwards and ask some questions... And I'm worried the question I have to ask won't be responded to adequately, which itself will be telling. We'll see. God's will be done. Not mine. :sadder:
[/quote]

:bigpray:

Continued prayers, my friend!