An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='02 July 2010 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1278120441' post='2137194']
I didn't realize that the community with the liver meatloaf was the one you were JOINING! You're old enough to know your own mind, so all I can say is that you must really love that Community. I don't THINK it's a common English dish, but the English do eat more organ meats than we do, and you said the Community was poor, so, who knows? The English eat some odd things--blood pudding and blood sausage are two other things I could never bring myself to try. But, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding? Yum!

And, I confess that in all the times I've visited England, I've never tried steak and kidney pie. I just can't face it. And, if faced with liver meatloaf, I seriously think I wouldn't be able to eat it, or if I did, I would throw up immediately after. I hate liver THAT much. I don't think of myself as a fussy eater, but I have limits. I could never join an Order that required you to clean your plate (but that's in part because I go through periods of nauseousness where I can't eat very much)--I'd prefer to just skip dinner that night altogether. And, didn't you say in an earlier post that they served brussels sprouts at the same meal? I don't hate brussels sprouts as much as I hate liver. It's just that my mother served us brussels sprouts a lot when I was growing up.[/quote]

Yep, this is the same meal that had *gasp* [i]brussel sprouts[/i].

:sweat:

Personally, I [b]love[/b] brussel sprouts! :lol: Although, I think I almost laughed when I saw the whole meal -- [i]after[/i] Sister left my room/cell. (During my visit, I usually ate by myself since the Sisters ate their meals in their refectory, which was in the cloister.)

I kind of felt obliged to clean my plate in that instance... like it was some kind of test or something. After all, it was liver AND brussle sprouts. (Or perhaps Sister Cook had a rather wicked sense of humor... hmmm... :think: I guess I shouldn't be surprised if that's true. :lol: Haahahaa!)

Granted, I assure you there was a lot of twitching happening. I almost couldn't handle it. Truly, it was the grace of God that allowed me to clean my plate. No joke.

Aaaand if I remember correctly, there was a really delicious pudding afterwards. With warm custard on top. :drool:

P.S. -- One of the Sisters in my former community told me about "sweetbreads". She comes from a very French background on her mother's side and growing up her mother made them for dinner once. From her description... I just don't know if I could manage to eat that. Again, it would only be by the grace of God.

P.S.S. -- I remember also while in my former community, one of the Sisters and I had a conversation about being able to eat strange foods, especially since we were a missionary order. She said the one thing should didn't think she could ever eat was brains of any sort. I agreed. :unsure: In the Philippines, I couldn't bring myself to eat [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)"]balut[/url]. However, I did try some [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinuguan"]Dinuguan[/url], which is basically a Philippine version of Blood Pudding. Honestly, I just found it too bloody tasting. I could only eat a few spoonfuls and that was it for me. :ohno:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola']I'm not sure if double-cream is the same thing as clotted cream--because clotted cream is so thick you really can't pour it. But, yes, the English do have a way with cream, and they put in on everything. Heaven on earth!

You can get Devonshire clotted cream in the U.S., but you have to hunt for it and it's very expensive. I've found two upscale grocery stores near me that carry it, and once in awhile I buy some for myself as a treat to eat with fresh scones and jam. I love English desserts of all kinds--it's my English grandmother coming out. I also love English candy.
[/quote]

I don't believe clotted cream is the same as double-cream. Our "heavy cream" is the equivalent to their "single cream". Double-cream is like... [i]almost[/i] condensed milk thickness. Not as sweet though, just... really good!! However, I would love to find some Devonshire clotted cream. I've been on the lookout. I'm planning on having a British-themed "Bride of Christ" shower, complete with homemade scones, clotted cream, cucumber sarnies, etc. Yummmm. And of course TEA. Lots of tea. :D

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='02 July 2010 - 09:55 PM' timestamp='1278122101' post='2137197']
Come to the Carmelites... no liver, no kidneys, no tripe etc! :deal:

Do you have a photo of said dish? or of any of the food? You know how we are around these parts :whistle: I think I recall seeing some of your photos of your visit but all I really remember is that you like taking pictures of clouds! :lol: [size="1"] Its ok Ive been known to take my fair share of cloud pics too.[/size]
[/quote]

Ahhh, I totally should have taken pictures of that dish!!

I'm almost shocked that I didn't do it.

:sadwalk:

I took picture of a GLASS BOTTLE of milk. I was really excited about that. Hahaha!

I took several pictures of it. :blush:

And it was delivered by a REAL MILK MAN!!!

---

The clouds really fascinated me. :lol: It was like out of a movie or something. And they moved SO fast. I even had a video of the clouds... :sweat: But then I wanted to take more pictures and my phone needed more space, so I had to delete it. Sad story.

Sigh... I still can't believe I didn't take pictures of any of my normal meals. Usually I'm pretty good about that, especially when it's a) really pretty food, b) really delicious food, c) weird food, or d) really mortifying food. Hahaha!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='02 July 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1278124284' post='2137212']
Yes it's true LC likes taking pictures of clouds! :hehe: Oh about the Carmelites, yes it's true they don't eat beef pork chicken etc unless it's required for health reasons. They do eat seafood though and lots of vegetables, and yes even pie :thumbsup: This seafood diet is hinted at in one episode of the Teresa of Avila miniseries ( which will be starting on ewtn tomorrow July 3) where a novice is shown cleaning a fish, gagging and running out of the room!
[/quote]

And I like taking pictures of random livestock. :sweat: And fog. And HOAR FROST! (I had always wondered what "hoar frost" was from reading it in the psalms, and one morning one of the Sisters said, "Hey, look at the hoar frost!" and pointed. Again, I was thrilled. Then I ran outside to take pictures. Haaa!)

Those are the moments I feel uber-Asian. :blush:

I love that bit in the Teresa of Avila miniseries! I remember thinking to myself, "I would be [i]that[/i] novice." :sweat:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='02 July 2010 - 09:11 PM' timestamp='1278123094' post='2137200']
I'm not Vee, but as far as I know, the Carmelites are vegetarians, although I'm pretty sure they also eat fish. (Vee took picures of the food on her visit, and at least one meal there was fish.) But, I don't know how often they eat fish--it may vary by community.
[/quote]

Let's see I was there for six full days and I'd say there was some kind of fish or shrimp at least four of the six days.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='02 July 2010 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1278125246' post='2137218']
This page is epic win.

Look at our Trektastic avatars!!!

:yahoo:
[/quote]

Epic.

If my sister hadn't asked me to watch LOTR with her I would totally be watching TNG right now.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JTheresa' date='03 July 2010 - 12:05 AM' timestamp='1278129921' post='2137240']
Epic.

If my sister hadn't asked me to watch LOTR with her I would totally be watching TNG right now.
[/quote]

I'm trying to find someone to watch LOTR with me. :lol: I have one hope remaining, but eh... I'm skeptical that she'll actually like it. Before I enter, I want to do various "marathons" -- like "LOST", "TNG", and if I could, I'd want "The X-Files". Before I entered last time, I joined Netflix the summer before I entered just so I could watch all of "The X-Files". Hahahaa! Netflix was too slow and I didn't make it in time to see all of the last season. :sadwalk:

[quote name='JTheresa' date='03 July 2010 - 12:06 AM' timestamp='1278129998' post='2137242']
awww, it went onto a different page.

oh well.
[/quote]

It's still on the same page for me.

(You can set how many posts per page in "my settings". I'm pretty mine is set to the max. And currently, there are ten pages to this thread for me. How many pages for you? :nerd: )

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='03 July 2010 - 09:25 AM' timestamp='1278163539' post='2137319']

It's still on the same page for me.

(You can set how many posts per page in "my settings". I'm pretty mine is set to the max. And currently, there are ten pages to this thread for me. How many pages for you? :nerd: )
[/quote]

oh, cool. I'll have to edit my settings.
Right now it says there are 20 pages. :clapping:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='02 July 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1278125199' post='2137217']
And I like taking pictures of random livestock. :sweat: And fog. And HOAR FROST! (I had always wondered what "hoar frost" was from reading it in the psalms, and one morning one of the Sisters said, "Hey, look at the hoar frost!" and pointed. Again, I was thrilled. Then I ran outside to take pictures. Haaa!)

Those are the moments I feel uber-Asian. :blush:

I love that bit in the Teresa of Avila miniseries! I remember thinking to myself, "I would be [i]that[/i] novice." :sweat:
[/quote]

:rolling: Come to Canada in the winter I'm sure we can find hoar frost on some random livestock for you! :thumbsup: Wait I might actually have a picture of such a thing for you!!! *searching*

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='02 July 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1278124958' post='2137216']

I'm almost shocked that I didn't do it.

:sadwalk:

I took picture of a GLASS BOTTLE of milk. I was really excited about that. Hahaha!

I took several pictures of it. :blush:

And it was delivered by a REAL MILK MAN!!!

---[/quote]
:lol_pound:

[quote]The clouds really fascinated me. :lol: It was like out of a movie or something. And they moved SO fast. I even had a video of the clouds... :sweat: But then I wanted to take more pictures and my phone needed more space, so I had to delete it. Sad story.

Sigh... I still can't believe I didn't take pictures of any of my normal meals. Usually I'm pretty good about that, especially when it's a) really pretty food, b) really delicious food, c) weird food, or d) really mortifying food. Hahaha! [/quote]

I like taking pictures of storm clouds the darker and more ominous looking the better. I also like taking pictures of food, for the same reasons you listed, much to the amusementi
and teasing of my family.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='03 July 2010 - 08:25 AM' timestamp='1278163539' post='2137319']
(You can set how many posts per page in "my settings". I'm pretty mine is set to the max. And currently, there are ten pages to this thread for me. How many pages for you? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nerd.gif[/img] )
[/quote]

Thanks for that reminder! I'd forgotten that you could choose how many posts to show on a page. As an experiment, I've set the number of posts and threads shown to the maximum (40). After awhile, I'll decide what I think. If I don't like it, I can always change back, but I think I will like it.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='02 July 2010 - 08:55 PM' timestamp='1278122101' post='2137197']
Do you have a photo of said dish? or of any of the food? You know how we are around these parts [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif[/img] I think I recall seeing some of your photos of your visit but all I really remember is that you like taking pictures of clouds! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img] [size="1"]Its ok Ive been known to take my fair share of cloud pics too.[/size]
[/quote]

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='02 July 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1278124526' post='2137213']
Although, I think I almost laughed when I saw the whole meal -- [i]after[/i] Sister left my room/cell. (During my visit, I usually ate by myself since the Sisters ate their meals in their refectory, which was in the cloister.)

I kind of felt obliged to clean my plate in that instance... like it was some kind of test or something. After all, it was liver AND brussle sprouts. (Or perhaps Sister Cook had a rather wicked sense of humor... hmmm... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/think_chin.gif[/img] I guess I shouldn't be surprised if that's true. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img] Haahahaa!)

Granted, I assure you there was a lot of twitching happening. I almost couldn't handle it. Truly, it was the grace of God that allowed me to clean my plate. No joke.

I don't believe clotted cream is the same as double-cream. Our "heavy cream" is the equivalent to their "single cream". Double-cream is like... [i]almost[/i] condensed milk thickness. Not as sweet though, just... really good!! However, I would love to find some Devonshire clotted cream. I've been on the lookout. I'm planning on having a British-themed "Bride of Christ" shower, complete with homemade scones, clotted cream, cucumber sarnies, etc. Yummmm. And of course TEA. Lots of tea. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]
[/quote]

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='02 July 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1278124958' post='2137216']

Sigh... I still can't believe I didn't take pictures of any of my normal meals. Usually I'm pretty good about that, especially when it's a) really pretty food, b) really delicious food, c) weird food, or d) really mortifying food. Hahaha!
[/quote]

[quote name='vee8' date='03 July 2010 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1278188118' post='2137465']
I also like taking pictures of food, for the same reasons you listed, much to the amusement and teasing of my family.
[/quote]

I was going to tease Vee about taking pictures of food, but she did it for herself. I can't say that I've ever taken pictures of food. (However, I'm not much into taking pictures anyway.)

Somehow, when L-C talked about being served the liver meatloaf, I pictured her in a refectory, with the other Sisters watching her eat, so taking pictures of the food might be kind of awkward, in that situation.

If I'd been served the liver meatloaf, and there was no one there to watch me, I would have been sorely tempted to flush some down the toilet (or try to find a convenient dog). But, in the end, I probably wouldn't, because that would entail lying, and I'm too darn honest for my own good. However, I don't know if I would have been able to finish the meatloaf, as you did. I probably would have tried some, then apologized profusely and felt horribly guilty. To make up for it, I would have cleaned my plate otherwise, even the brussels sprouts. (In case you ever care, I looked it up in the dictionary, and it really is "brussels sprouts" (both words plural)--your factoid for today. And, for all I know, the British spell it differently.

I wouldn't be surprised if the liver meatloaf WAS a test of flexibility, and ability to integrate into different cultures. Factoid: A report I read awhile back (so this may not still be true) said that when companies transfer employees from the U.S. to other countries, the country where the transfer is most likely to fail is the UK. I think it's because we tend to assume the UK is just like the U.S., because they speak English (mostly). But, the UK and the U.S. have a LOT of cultural differences--things like eating liver meatloaf. So, even if the language is pretty much the same, it still takes a lot of flexibility to happily adjust to living in the UK.

As for clotted cream, I was going to offer to send you some. But even though clotted cream is packaged in a way that it doesn't need to be refrigerated, it's still summer, and I wouldn't know how to properly package it so that it wouldn't go bad en route from one hot city to another. But, you've got me curious, so I may look around a bit on the Internet over the weekend to see if there is anywhere you could order it and have it delivered. (I think that searching for strange things on the Internet is fun.) Or, maybe one of your guests lives near an exotic food store that carries it and they could bring some to the shower. (For example, in Chicago, Cost Plus carries it, or at least they used to. I wouldn't think to look at Cost Plus for clotted cream, but there it was. But, I don't know if you have Cost Plus stores anywhere near where you live.)

In a pinch, I guess you could use heavy whipping cream that you whipped until it was almost the consistency of butter. Not nearly as good, but hopefully most of your guests wouldn't know the difference. I have seen recipes in cookbooks for how to make clotted cream, but, to me, at least, the recipes sounded complicated, with a lot of ways for the recipe to go wrong. Isn't it odd that something that is practically a staple in the UK is so difficult to find in the U.S.? For example, I have a Japanese grocery store very near me where I can find almost anything I'd want in the way of Japanese groceries. But, English grocery staples? Hard to find, even in a city as large as Chicago.

Somewhat off the subject--I'm obviously still totally ignorant when it comes to customs of various Communities about visitors. It made sense to me that Vee ate alone because the community she was visiting is cloistered.

But, the Community you're entering isn't cloistered, right L-C? After thinking about it, I guess it makes sense that regular visitors wouldn't take meals with the community. But, somehow I pictured that "serious discerners" might take meals with a non-cloistered community. If you had been an official "live-in" for several months, would you have taken meals with the community?

I've been assuming that you met with the Sisters face-to-face, not behind a grille. Is that correct? Were you allowed inside the cloister at all? Did you attend chapel with the Sisters--or for prayers did you sit in the same church, but on the other side of the grille? Is it usual for a non-cloistered community to have a grille? Or is there no "usual" when it comes to the customs of non-cloistered communities (and probably cloistered ones, as well)? That's a lot of questions. I guess I'm mostly interested in what your future community does, and figure that there are numerous variations. No wonder formation takes years! There is so much to learn! And, I haven't even brought up the much more important things like prayer, Eucharistic adoration etc.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='03 July 2010 - 04:57 PM' timestamp='1278194247' post='2137486']
I was going to tease Vee about taking pictures of food, but she did it for herself. I can't say that I've ever taken pictures of food. (However, I'm not much into taking pictures anyway.)

Somehow, when L-C talked about being served the liver meatloaf, I pictured her in a refectory, with the other Sisters watching her eat, so taking pictures of the food might be kind of awkward, in that situation.[/quote]

Yeah in my family if theres something to tease someone about they get teased, good naturedly of course.

Its kind of strange that even while I was eating alone I felt a bit bad about taking photos. I must admit I tried to sneak a photo of two nuns when they were walking back from getting the mail. I was inside they were outside and they had stopped walking for a moment to look at something and I thought the whole shot looked picture perfect.... but my camera wouldnt work!! It wouldnt turn on and stay on and its the only time before or since that its done that. I was like ooook I get the point God, no photos!

[quote]
If I'd been served the liver meatloaf, and there was no one there to watch me, I would have been sorely tempted to flush some down the toilet (or try to find a convenient dog). But, in the end, I probably wouldn't, because that would entail lying, and I'm too darn honest for my own good.[/quote]

:lol: I dont know about the Dominicans, I assume it would be the same but there is no way I could lie or even think of trying to hide anything around the Carmelites. From what I experienced they know or God knows and tells them EVERYTHING. :sweat:
[quote]

Somewhat off the subject--I'm obviously still totally ignorant when it comes to customs of various Communities about visitors. It made sense to me that Vee ate alone because the community she was visiting is cloistered.[/quote]

Right and Im glad I ate alone too! I was just there to listen to the Holy Spirit so eating in the refectory would have been too much too soon!