An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

Tridenteen

JMJ
Random

My bathing suit (from Landsend) is long sleeved, and has a matching skirt with it. Very modest. In fact, people even say "are you going to be able to swim in that?"[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img]

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='06 July 2010 - 05:39 PM' timestamp='1278452395' post='2138632']
There's a good chance that I've scored a job interview for a DRE position!! [i]Deo gratias[/i]!! I just have to send in the archdiocesan application and they said they'd call to schedule an interview!!
[/quote]

:yahoo: Continued prayers for the interview, TB!!!

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='06 July 2010 - 06:12 PM' timestamp='1278454351' post='2138658']
JMJ
Random

My bathing suit (from Landsend) is long sleeved, and has a matching skirt with it. Very modest. In fact, people even say "are you going to be able to swim in that?"[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_roll.gif[/img]
[/quote]

:lol: Perhaps I'll be checking that site out!

To wear makeup or not to wear makeup: that is the question.

I feel kinda wierd wearing it when I visit the Sisters, especially knowing that they are big into taking pictures. And I look like a total druggy in pictures where I'm not wearing a tiny bit of makeup. So on Monday I'm taking my family up to meet the Sisters and so there will probably be at least three times the amount of picture taking than usual. :sweat: I'm not very photogenic. Any other photophobic people on here?

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JTheresa' date='08 July 2010 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1278616860' post='2139394']
To wear makeup or not to wear makeup: that is the question.

I feel kinda wierd wearing it when I visit the Sisters, especially knowing that they are big into taking pictures. And I look like a total druggy in pictures where I'm not wearing a tiny bit of makeup. So on Monday I'm taking my family up to meet the Sisters and so there will probably be at least three times the amount of picture taking than usual. :sweat: I'm not very photogenic. Any other photophobic people on here?
[/quote]

Without makeup I look kinda look like a druggy, too.. which is a majority of the time. :lol: If I do wear makeup, then it's a very light 2-in-1 foundation/powder and used as a concealer. I pretty much have perpetual dark circles under my eyes and relatively uneven skin tone.

(Funny enough, I generally only wear makeup to church or church social functions. Hmmm... :sweat: )

If you want to "save face" for the plethora of pictures headed your way, I'd say wear the makeup -- you're not in the convent yet! ;)

:photo:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='08 July 2010 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1278622223' post='2139438']
Without makeup I look kinda look like a druggy, too.. which is a majority of the time. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img] If I do wear makeup, then it's a very light 2-in-1 foundation/powder and used as a concealer. I pretty much have perpetual dark circles under my eyes and relatively uneven skin tone.

(Funny enough, I generally only wear makeup to church or church social functions. Hmmm... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sweat.gif[/img] )

If you want to "save face" for the plethora of pictures headed your way, I'd say wear the makeup -- you're not in the convent yet! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/photo.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I HATE having my picture taken. Although, in real life, my face doesn't scare small children, I just don't photograph well. So, you will probably never see a photo of me.

As for wearing make-up, play it by ear. I look better for photos when I wear even little bit of make-up--some mascara, a small amount of eyeliner, a small amount of lipstick that is almost exactly the color of my lips, and a little blush. (I rarely wear make-up anyway, and never wear foundation--I've been blessed with the complexion of my English grandmother.)

However, if you will feel self-conscious around the Sisters if you wear make-up, then don't. After, you won't be wearing make-up in pictures for the rest of your life, so what's a few more photos without make-up?

Also, I find that when I look at other people's pictures, "I" think they look just fine, even when they hate their picture.

TeresaBenedicta

What a week!!

I've had a rough and exhausting week. (My father's in the hospital; he was admitted on Wednesday with a collapsed lung and we've had some complications, but tomorrow he'll have surgery.)

I had my interview for a DRE position and not an hour after it was finished (I was the last interview), I got a call back saying that I had made it to the final two and that they wanted to do another interview early next week!!

I'm excited about it. The parish itself is not necessarily of my "preference," but hey... it would be a job, it would be ministry, and... I'm excited about it!! Really, really excited!!

I'm also a little nervous. Actually getting a job (if I manage to get this) would mean it becoming pretty finalized that I won't be able to enter for at least a year or two or three. And that scares me. I'm afraid that I'll somehow "lose" my vocation or something. The pay will be pretty decent, which means I can pay off my loans quicker... but I'm afraid that maybe I'll fall into some sort of materialism with having more money at my hands.

But, all in all, good news. God's will be done!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='09 July 2010 - 09:04 PM' timestamp='1278723841' post='2140238']
I'm also a little nervous. Actually getting a job (if I manage to get this) would mean it becoming pretty finalized that I won't be able to enter for at least a year or two or three. And that scares me. I'm afraid that I'll somehow "lose" my vocation or something. The pay will be pretty decent, which means I can pay off my loans quicker... but I'm afraid that maybe I'll fall into some sort of materialism with having more money at my hands.
[/quote]

I understand how you feel! I just got the job I currently have in February. I needed one really bad because I had been unemployed for a while and was worried that I would not be able to pay my bills anymore since my unemployment ran out. When I got accepted for this job, I didn't want to take it and I did. :idontknow: I was so used to being at home that I was worried I was going to be calling out all the time or something. I also wondered, "Well, what if I find the order I'm called to and I can't go and visit because I have to work?" There are days when I wonder if I'll lose my vocation because I'm not visiting orders, but it has not happened. In fact, I feel my vocation to religious life has gotten stronger because I am on a schedule for 5 days a week and I'm [i]getting prepared[/i] in a sense. Many religious orders expect you to have work experience nowadays because they want to see that you can follow a schedule and be obedient to your supervisor.

One of the best pieces of advice that my former spiritual director gave me was:

[i]Even if you are working, you need to have a schedule to follow. Try to include a daily or weekly Holy Hour and go to daily Mass as often as you can. Remember to pray at least once daily and stay close to the Sacraments (especially Confession).[/i]

I still have yet to do a Holy Hour because I work a very physical job and I am usually exhausted when I come home. But the other advice I have taken and I have remained close to Christ as much as I can. I recently experienced a renewal of my call and I am awaiting the Holy Spirit to guide me to the right order. I'm excited! :saint:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='09 July 2010 - 08:04 PM' timestamp='1278723841' post='2140238']
What a week!!

I've had a rough and exhausting week. (My father's in the hospital; he was admitted on Wednesday with a collapsed lung and we've had some complications, but tomorrow he'll have surgery.)

I had my interview for a DRE position and not an hour after it was finished (I was the last interview), I got a call back saying that I had made it to the final two and that they wanted to do another interview early next week!!

I'm excited about it. The parish itself is not necessarily of my "preference," but hey... it would be a job, it would be ministry, and... I'm excited about it!! Really, really excited!!

But, all in all, good news. God's will be done!
[/quote]

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I'll be praying for him tomorrow. And, I'll be praying for your job, too.

I can't speak to how working might cause you to "lose your vocation," but others on Phatmass have been through the experience of working while waiting to enter, and will have good advice. Also, if you get the job, you will be working in a religious environment, which should help.

But, I can speak to the materialism part, because I went from grad school to working part-time to finally getting a full-time job. It's actually easier when you are right out of school not to fall into the "materialism trap," because you're used to the "poor" lifestyle of a student.

In my first job I literally lived on only half of my salary, and put the rest in savings. Somehow, if you never "see" the money, you are less likely to spend it. Since you have student loans, perhaps you can pay some extra on the amount due every month, so that the loan will be paid off faster. Chances are that you won't have the ability to automatically have savings taken out of your paycheck (as you would with most larger employers), but you can still arrange with your bank, for example, to have an amount automatically deposited into savings every time you deposit a paycheck.

I also expect that if you keep in your head that you are planning to enter religious life as soon as you can, it might keep you from wanting to acquire material possessions, knowing that you'll have to give them up in a couple of years.

I hope you get the job! You've been through more than enough misery in your current job!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='09 July 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1278728721' post='2140322']
I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I'll be praying for him tomorrow. And, I'll be praying for your job, too.

I can't speak to how working might cause you to "lose your vocation," but others on Phatmass have been through the experience of working while waiting to enter, and will have good advice. Also, if you get the job, you will be working in a religious environment, which should help.

But, I can speak to the materialism part, because I went from grad school to working part-time to finally getting a full-time job. It's actually easier when you are right out of school not to fall into the "materialism trap," because you're used to the "poor" lifestyle of a student.

In my first job I literally lived on only half of my salary, and put the rest in savings. Somehow, if you never "see" the money, you are less likely to spend it. Since you have student loans, perhaps you can pay some extra on the amount due every month, so that the loan will be paid off faster. Chances are that you won't have the ability to automatically have savings taken out of your paycheck (as you would with most larger employers), but you can still arrange with your bank, for example, to have an amount automatically deposited into savings every time you deposit a paycheck.

I also expect that if you keep in your head that you are planning to enter religious life as soon as you can, it might keep you from wanting to acquire material possessions, knowing that you'll have to give them up in a couple of years.

I hope you get the job! You've been through more than enough misery in your current job!
[/quote]

Thanks for the prayers for my dad, he's doing better, but still in the hospital.

I suppose my worries aren't too well founded-- if this is God's will for me right now, then I oughtn't to be too worried at all. Still. Being in a somewhat secular environment is a bit terrifying for me, considering I've been in a nice "protected" environment during college. And being at home can always be difficult for the spiritual life (at least, I've always found it to be). I think my biggest problem is one of semi-despair... looking at my immediate future and knowing that I won't be able to enter any time soon. And fear that ability to persevere may not actually exist. I guess it's something like a temptation that I [i]could[/i] be going off and doing my own thing right now, pursuing my own dreams... and a fear that since I'm not, I'll somehow wind up never accomplishing anything I've ever wanted to do. It's a hard pill to swallow, sometimes, the whole "giving up your own will" thing. I've always been able to accomplish whatever I put my mind toward. And knowing that this is beyond [i]my[/i] control... it's tough.

But it's time for a random story:

I was listening to Matt Maher while walking my dog and waiting for my mom to get home and I smiled when this memory came to mind:

There were eight of us college girls in the back of a Mount van with Sr. Liz driving and a Sister of Life novice in the front seat. We were rocking out to Matt Maher, driving through NYC, and the defroster on the van didn't work, so the Sister of Life had to be the manual, interior, windshield wiper. At one point we needed to get over a lane in major NYC traffic and the Sister of Life said, "No problem, I got this one--" and she rolled down the window, stuck out her head (veil and all) and motioned that we needed to get over. The car let us in. She said that she does that all the time.

Good times.

Oh, and before this little incident, we were walking to the van from the church and the Sister of Life was carrying a cowbell. It was pouring down rain, so we were running to get to the car. At one point it looked as though Sr. Liz was running away from the Sister of Life, whose bell was jingling like crazy as she ran. She yelled up toward Sr. Liz, "Hey Sister, are you embarrassed of me? You're supposed to rejoice in me!!!" Particularly funny because the talk we had just heard was themed "Rejoice in her."

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='12 July 2010 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1278992107' post='2141944']
Thanks for the prayers for my dad, he's doing better, but still in the hospital.

I suppose my worries aren't too well founded-- if this is God's will for me right now, then I oughtn't to be too worried at all. Still. Being in a somewhat secular environment is a bit terrifying for me, considering I've been in a nice "protected" environment during college. And being at home can always be difficult for the spiritual life (at least, I've always found it to be). I think my biggest problem is one of semi-despair... looking at my immediate future and knowing that I won't be able to enter any time soon. And fear that ability to persevere may not actually exist. I guess it's something like a temptation that I [i]could[/i] be going off and doing my own thing right now, pursuing my own dreams... and a fear that since I'm not, I'll somehow wind up never accomplishing anything I've ever wanted to do. It's a hard pill to swallow, sometimes, the whole "giving up your own will" thing. I've always been able to accomplish whatever I put my mind toward. And knowing that this is beyond [i]my[/i] control... it's tough.

[/quote]

I can't speak to how living at home affects a person's spiritual life, because I haven't lived at home since I was 18.

But, I can speak to the issue of living as a Christian in a secular environment issue. In my callow youth, I was an Evangelical Christian who did my best to be strong in my faith (although I ultimately realized that I made a crummy Evangelical Christian). I don't think the fact that I wasn't Catholic changes the point of my story.

For my bachelor's I went to Berkeley--you can hardly get a more secular school. This was the 70's, the drug culture was very strong, and the AIDS crisis hadn't appeared yet. You would think it would make people "fall away" and many did.

But, those of us who were strong in our faith to begin with, saw the environment as making us stronger. And, I wouldn't trade my years at Berkeley for anything. I was exposed to so many different types of people and so many ideas--it was a very exciting time.

I would go to conferences with people from Christian colleges, and they would say to those of us from Berkeley, "How can you live a Christian life in that environment?" Most of us at Berkeley had never gone to college anywhere else, so we didn't see our environment as difficult. It was "just the way it is." Personally, I think it made all of us stronger Christians.

Nowadays, I can see the benefits of both secular schools and Christian schools, and which is better depends on the person (and, in my case, the fact that my family couldn't afford to send me to a private school). At least at that time, we looked at the people who went to very sheltered Christian colleges, and said to ourselves, "How is that a test of your faith, if you're surrounded by people who are believe just the same as you do? How does that prepare you for life outside college?"

As I said, I have come to learn that there are benefits and drawbacks of both environments. But, I still feel that, for me, going to Berkeley strengthened my faith, not weakened it.

And, for the record, in case anyone cares, despite my environment, I graduated never having smoked a cigarette--tobacco or otherwise, I had never gotten drunk, I had never used illegal drugs (although they were everywhere and easy to obtain), and yes, I was a virgin. In a secular environment, I found that if I didn't push my faith in people's faces at inappropriate times, they showed me respect, and I got very little hassle for being a Christian.

You strike me as someone who is strong in your faith. Yes, it will be different. But, a secular environment can further strengthen your faith, and at the same time, help you to better understand different types of people, even if they live lives very different from yours.

Obviously, if you are in a secular environment, you need friends who help support your faith (and you help support them), and you need to find a parish where the worship feeds you. You can't do it alone. But, it doesn't have to mean losing your faith at all, and ideally, you will end up stronger, and more self-confident in your faith than before.

And, if you get the DRE job, as we all hope you do, you won't be in a secular environment, the way you might be in other jobs.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

I started my working life in an obscenely high paying job -- and was really worried about "golden handcuffs" (where you get used to a high salary and then cannot give it up) as I was pretty sure I didn't want to stay on that track forever.

I can report that the golden handcuffs do ensnare a lot of people -- but there are also tons that resist them -- that deliberately use their salary to pay down their student loans, to save up a down payment for a house (NOT to support high mortgage payments), that establish a firm financial foundation for themselves and then are quite free indeed to take a much lower paying job.

It CAN be done! It happens all the time.

You won't be saving up for a house down payment, but you can be darn motivated about paying down your loans and giving yourself freedom that way. With that goal in mind, I bet you'll be able to keep materialism at bay.

I gotta say, this is the first time I've heard someone talking about a parish DRE position as potentially "selling out" ... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img]

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='krissylou' date='13 July 2010 - 10:42 AM' timestamp='1279028531' post='2142014']
I started my working life in an obscenely high paying job -- and was really worried about "golden handcuffs" (where you get used to a high salary and then cannot give it up) as I was pretty sure I didn't want to stay on that track forever.

I can report that the golden handcuffs do ensnare a lot of people -- but there are also tons that resist them -- that deliberately use their salary to pay down their student loans, to save up a down payment for a house (NOT to support high mortgage payments), that establish a firm financial foundation for themselves and then are quite free indeed to take a much lower paying job.

It CAN be done! It happens all the time.

You won't be saving up for a house down payment, but you can be darn motivated about paying down your loans and giving yourself freedom that way. With that goal in mind, I bet you'll be able to keep materialism at bay.

[b]I gotta say, this is the first time I've heard someone talking about a parish DRE position as potentially "selling out"[/b] ... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I would hardly go as far as to say it's "selling out," haha, but it's definitely higher than most other jobs I've had the potential for getting. Still, I ain't gonna be rolling in the dough after one year, that's for sure! :sweat:

I will be completing de Montforts total consecration to Jesus through Mary this Friday. As the day draws closer though I find everything is becoming increasingly difficult. I'm experiencing temptations to feel despair and hopelessness. I know where it's coming from, the devil, and why because I'm about to do something good. I will enter into Holy Bondage not the bondage of sin and the slave of evil I was before. Anyway if anyone else is experiencing feelings of despair, hopelessness etc i'm praying for you, especially if you will be doing the consecration this Friday. :pray:

laetitia crucis

Thanks to the generous encouragement of angelofmary, I was able submitted my online UK Visa application today.

*big sigh of relief*

Granted, I'm not finished yet, but at least I'm finished with [i]something[/i]. :woot:

Next step: [url="http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/biometricvisa/"]Biometric Details Collection[/url] -- how "Space Age" does that sound, right? :blink: :lol:

After that, I'll mail my "supporting documents" and everything else off to Chicago's Visa Processing Center.

Then I'll play a lovely round of the Waiting Game. Hopefully, I'll only have to play one round. :pray:

she_who_is_not

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='12 July 2010 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1278992107' post='2141944']

But it's time for a random story:

I was listening to Matt Maher while walking my dog and waiting for my mom to get home and I smiled when this memory came to mind:

There were eight of us college girls in the back of a Mount van with Sr. Liz driving and a Sister of Life novice in the front seat. We were rocking out to Matt Maher, driving through NYC, and the defroster on the van didn't work, so the Sister of Life had to be the manual, interior, windshield wiper. At one point we needed to get over a lane in major NYC traffic and the Sister of Life said, "No problem, I got this one--" and she rolled down the window, stuck out her head (veil and all) and motioned that we needed to get over. The car let us in. She said that she does that all the time.

Good times.

Oh, and before this little incident, we were walking to the van from the church and the Sister of Life was carrying a cowbell. It was pouring down rain, so we were running to get to the car. At one point it looked as though Sr. Liz was running away from the Sister of Life, whose bell was jingling like crazy as she ran. She yelled up toward Sr. Liz, "Hey Sister, are you embarrassed of me? You're supposed to rejoice in me!!!" Particularly funny because the talk we had just heard was themed "Rejoice in her."
[/quote]

Several people have told me I'm destined for the Sisters of Life. I never knew why until now. The "You'd fit right in" comments make so much sense now!!! Ha Ha