[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1281737674' post='2156696']
Only 11?! :sadwalk:
[/quote]

I'm considering it a sort of self-mortification for me... :hehehe:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1281737744' post='2156697']
I'm considering it a sort of self-mortification for me... :hehehe:
[/quote]

:console:

the mobile site doesn't have a preview post function so you've all been warned I'm probably going to be editing my posts even more than before, or leaving them with more mistakes! :sweat:

The other night in the chat LC said something that reminded me of a quote but I was unable to find it at that time. I've found it now though so from TofA "We have only to find a place where we can be alone and look upon Him present within us.". You said that your convent and chapel are two separate buildings so you won't be in the same house as the Real Presence but next door to Him. As is mentioned in that quote and other holy people like Bl Elizabeth of the Trinity greatly expand upon, the Father Son and Holy Spirit are never far from you in fact they are within you. As long as you are in a state of grace of course but when you are it's such an incredible thing to think of. I hope that makes sense and is of some help to you and others as well. :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1281743560' post='2156818']
The other night in the chat LC said something that reminded me of a quote but I was unable to find it at that time. I've found it now though so from TofA "We have only to find a place where we can be alone and look upon Him present within us.". You said that your convent and chapel are two separate buildings so you won't be in the same house as the Real Presence but next door to Him. As is mentioned in that quote and other holy people like Bl Elizabeth of the Trinity greatly expand upon, the Father Son and Holy Spirit are never far from you in fact they are within you. As long as you are in a state of grace of course but when you are it's such an incredible thing to think of. I hope that makes sense and is of some help to you and others as well. :)
[/quote]

:love: Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity.

I remember reading somewhere... although now I can't recall where... that a true understanding of God's presence within us (such as Bl. Elizabeth's understanding) is a tremendous grace and that it differs than a mere intellectual understanding and that we should storm Heaven asking for this grace.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1281743560' post='2156818']
[/quote]

Thank you for finding that quote, vee!! :clapping: Beautiful!!!

It reminds me very much of another <_< -provoking saint: Catherine of Siena:

[quote name='Catherine of Siena']
[font="sans-serif"][size="2"][i]Build a cell inside your mind, from which you can never flee[/i].[/quote][/size][/font]
[font="sans-serif"][size="3"] [/size][/font]
[font="sans-serif"][size="3"][size="2"]Which is also like another quote from Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity:[/size][/size][/font]
[font="sans-serif"][size="3"][size="2"][quote name='Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity'][/size][/size][/font]
[font="sans-serif"][size="3"][size="2"][i]You must build a little cell within your soul as I do. Remember that God is there and enter it.[/i][/size][/size][/font]
[font="sans-serif"][size="3"][size="2"][font="Times New Roman"][color="#4A321D"][size="2"][/quote]
[/size][/color][/font][/size][/size][/font]
[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1281744987' post='2156837']

I remember reading somewhere... although now I can't recall where... that a true understanding of God's presence within us (such as Bl. Elizabeth's understanding) is a tremendous grace and that it differs than a mere intellectual understanding and that we should storm Heaven asking for this grace.
[/quote]

:yes:

This is a grace i need to be more fervent in asking for! :paperbag:

I think I remember zunshynn talking about this very thing as well... perhaps in a thread about favorite saints. :think: This is the one thing that really stuck out to me about Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity. (Quite possibly one of the only things that prevented me from feeling like this --> <_< about her. :sweat: )

Definitely need to check her out... :detective:

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1281744987' post='2156837']
[/quote]

I like the idea of storming heaven asking for graces, so this I shall do. I don't remember which saint it was but I keep thinking Mary Magdalene de Pazzi who complained to Jesus once why He took so long to answer her about something and He replied "you didn't ask loud enough!"

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1281747866' post='2156882']
Thank you for finding that quote, vee!! :clapping: Beautiful!!!

It reminds me very much of another <_< -provoking saint: Catherine of Siena:

[/size][/font]
[font="sans-serif"][size="3"][size="2"]Which is also like another quote from Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity:[/size][/size][/font]
[font="sans-serif"][size="3"][size="2"]
[/size][/color][/font][/size][/size][/font]

:yes:

This is a grace i need to be more fervent in asking for! :paperbag:

I think I remember zunshynn talking about this very thing as well... perhaps in a thread about favorite saints. :think: This is the one thing that really stuck out to me about Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity. (Quite possibly one of the only things that prevented me from feeling like this --> <_< about her. :sweat: )

Definitely need to check her out... :detective:
[/quote]

oh more great quotes! :love: I also don't feel like <_< toward Elizabeth, yet! Maybe that could change but so far what little I know of her gives me a rather calm comfortable impression, and I need her help to learn to be calm!

laetitia crucis

I baked brownies with my niece in honor of St. Maximilian's feast day. :))

Now what to do for tomorrow....???

:think:

TeresaBenedicta

St. Maximilian Kolbe!!! One of my favorites!!! He founded the [i]Militia Immaculata[/i], thus fitting that his feast day is one day prior to the Assumption.

LadyOfSorrows

Phriends,

I have a discernment question, because you have all been discerning for a LOT longer than I have..
Let's say you really love a certain community, but you're not sure that community's apostolate and charism are what you're called to...but you really feel like God has led you to this community in so many wonderful ways. I'm not sure if I just love the specific sisters I've spent a lot of time with, or if I'm attracted to the community...and how to discern if my attractions are from God...
Has anyone else thought about this? :mellow:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='LadyOfSorrows' timestamp='1281931310' post='2158018']
Phriends,

I have a discernment question, because you have all been discerning for a LOT longer than I have..
Let's say you really love a certain community, but you're not sure that community's apostolate and charism are what you're called to...but you really feel like God has led you to this community in so many wonderful ways. I'm not sure if I just love the specific sisters I've spent a lot of time with, or if I'm attracted to the community...and how to discern if my attractions are from God...
[/quote]

I would say, just be open, and go on a few "Come & See"s to get to know the Sisters better. ;)

In some Orders, I've heard some Sisters they they [i]never [/i]imagined they'd be a nursing/teaching Sister one day -- and BAM - -God just called them to that community and gave them the graces to do whatever their superior asked of them, like becoming a nurse or a teacher.

As the old saying goes: "God doesn't call the qualified; he qualifies the called." (Or something like that. :sweat: ) Sooooo true.

From personal experience, early in my discernment I was drawn to the Dominicans (surprise, surprise... :hehehe: ); however, I was fairly certain God was not calling me to be a schoolteacher. (I think this is the only Grace of Knowing[sup]TM[/sup] I've ever received. :lol: ) Yet, I still contacted the Sisters and even went to one of the "Come and See"s with the DSMMEs. Even though I didn't feel a draw to the teaching apostolate, I told God, "If [b]You [/b]want me to do this, I will do it. Just let me know." While there, God pretty much confirmed in me that I was not called to the teaching aposolate. Thanks be to God for the guidance of the Holy Spirit and our Blessed Mother, and the discernment and prudence of Sr. Joseph Andrew. :love:

Phriends,

[/quote]

I think of a couple of points that might help, although I havent been discerning very long either. I try to keep in mind that discerning religious life is a two way street in that I look at the community but they also look at me and have little chats with the holy Spirit about me! :sweat: At the same time even if someone is accepted into a community they have until final vows to leave, or be asked to leave, so for me I know I wont be able to say yes Im called to be a nun/sister until Ive made those final vows. Another way I try to make sure Im doing what God wants is to entrust myself to Mary, actually more like binding through de Montforts consecration. Hmm actually today is one month of my holy slavery, as it can also be called, and it has been amazing. That doesnt mean everything has been easy or makes sense but there is peace and joy and a certain :evil: I feel knowing that I am bound to Mary and she to me so she MUST help and guide me, and let me know what her Son wants then help me to do it. Pray to St Joseph too hes very good in helping people with so many things vocations being one of them. Oh and ask the saints for help too and see who shows up to help guide you. It might be St Ignatius with his spiritual exercises and discernment of spirits etc or someone else or a combination Hope that helps a bit.

sistersintigo

Great post, LadyofSorrows. Thank you!

Upon reading "Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy" by Rumer Godden, I was desperate to learn more -- about the real-life congregation of the [url="http://www.dominicainesbethanie.com"]Dominican Sisters of Bethany[/url], in Europe. That was almost exactly ten years ago. And what a roller-coaster ride I have had, since then.
Today I am still a layperson, and an embarrassingly sinful one at that. Still, my life is richer for having reached out and contacted the Dominican women who embrace the charism of Pere Marie-Jean-Joseph Lataste, OP (now Venerable, by Vatican proclamation).

My advice is, Keep your enthusiasm and passion carefully in check, as they can provoke one to make mistakes or take rash steps; but if the attraction itself is of God, do not fear it. Just keep your balance as best you can. Or, as a Catholic woman mentor of mine said to me:

"Do what you can to keep yourself uplifted; the Divine will see to the rest."

Phriends,

[/quote]

well, I kinda feel the same way you do with "my" community. I had one sisters as my theology professor at my university and loved her and some of the other sister there so I looked into their community. It was literally the first community I contacted and visited and I toatlly fell in love with them. I liked thier distinguishing charism of perpetual adoration, but I also liked the charism of, say, prolife work, like the Sisters of Life. I loved "my" communtiy, but I felt like it would be wrong if I didn't look at others. But after seeing and visiting them, I didn't know how to look!!! So I really just turned to God and (srsly) I asked to show me the community He wanted me to join. Because I , being blind and dumb, would b. The one who joined a communtiy because she knew them best and not because she knew she was called there. So He did. After a while I put all the "coincidences" together and decicded that He was calling me to that community, even though I did not want to be a teacher, or a nurse, and definitely not picturing myself as a Franciscan!!! But I knew them and loved them, and over time I have grown to love the charism more and embrace the fact that it might be best for me to be a teacher or a nurse. It seems like this way, all I can do is put it in His hands!!

So all I can say is just pray about it. Make yourself only want what He wants and He will show you where you need to be. :)

LadyOfSorrows

Wow! All of these testimonies are so beautiful and so helpful. How am I so blessed to be getting advice from you all? I will continue to trust that the Lord knows what He is doing and not rely on my own intuition. I fell upon this community by complete chance, (desperate to spend Christmas with those who knew how, I typed in "Convents in Ave Maria, FL" on google and the first place that came up I called. It wasn't even listed as the name of the order, but the name of the particular convent). And words cannot even explain how much I feel His presence in theirs...

But alas, I have time...I'll take that as a sign that He still has much more work to do...in discerning and in my soul.

Thank you all!!!!