An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

laetitia crucis

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1284134160' post='2171393']

Ok, thanx.... but I am going to need help with my real name in religion. I have the choice to keep my own or choose one but I can't decide.

:think2: suggestions?
[/quote]

Oooh! This is one of my FAVORITE games! :smile3: I will be pondering...

And likewise, if you have any suggestions for me, feel free to post 'em! :hehe:

TeresaBenedicta

I love my Carmelite saints!!!! (Well, except *her*)

My favorite, I have to say, is Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity. Followed closely by St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, of course. Then St. Teresa of Avila.

I haven't read much in way of St. John of the Cross, although I'd like to. I kind of look at him and think, "[i]He's waaaay too holy for me.[/i]"

But I absolutely [i]love[/i] Bl. Elizabeth's prayer to the Holy Trinity.

Reading Fr. Garrgiou-Lagrange's book ([u]Christian Perfection and Contemplation According to St. Thomas and St. John of the Cross[/u]) has given me so much more of an understanding of the Carmelites. I've loved reading them, but I have to admit often I'm like this: :wall: . But he explains the descriptive tradition with the theology of St. Thomas, which makes it all better!!! :clapping:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1284134160' post='2171393']
Ok, thanx.... but I am going to need help with my real name in religion. I have the choice to keep my own or choose one but I can't decide.

:think2: suggestions?
[/quote]

How about:

Sr. Maria Teresa
Sr. John Mary

:)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1284135450' post='2171404']
Oooh! This is one of my FAVORITE games! :smile3: I will be pondering...

[/quote]

It must be an especially tough decision for you, because your own name is that of a very holy woman.

And, I'm sure it's also difficult to know whether, in your case, it's better to start with a completely new name--that is, starting completely fresh, or to keep your name, or a variation of it, as part of your religious name, because an important part of what you will be bringing to God as your gift in the religious life is the result of the many years of experiences that have brought you to where you are today. In a way, a religious name that combines a woman's real name (if it's also the name of a saint) with the name of another saint, kind of says "my given name expresses bringing my whole self to God, and it is combined with the name of a saint who exemplifies what I feel God is calling me to become." If you were 20, choosing a whole new name might be the more obvious decision. But, since your given name carries with it so much of your life so far with God, to me, the decision would be more difficult.

Question: Does your religious name have to explicitly include "Mary" or a form of "Mary" as one of the first two names, or, as in some communities, is "Mary" part of the name of everyone in the community, but not necessarily part of the name used on a daily basis? So, for example, if your religious name was "Sister Mary Rosary Bede," would you would normally be called "Sister Rosary Bede" or "Sister Mary Rosary?" I don't know if that question makes sense, but, to me, it would seem to affect your choice of names.

For example, If you wanted to be "Sister Clare Teresa"--combining your own name with the name of of St. Teresa, would that be okay? Or would you have to be "Sister Mary Clare" or "Sister Clare Marie" if you wanted to keep your own name?

Note to all: As far as I know, Nunsense's real name is NOT Clare. I just picked it as an example of a given name that was also that of a very holy woman.

L-C--I thought you were already Sister Domini Canis? LOL At least you have a year to pick your name. Carmelites pick their name on entrance, right? So unless the Community Nunsense has applied to is VERY slow in making decisions, she will probably have to decide much sooner.

Warning: I have already written letters to the Superiors of both your future communities, warning that you are morally unfit and completely unsuited to their community and to religious life as a whole. I'm getting VERY tired of having people I like a lot think of serving God first, instead of MY needs, and leaving to enter religious life. How selfish is THAT? Who is going to be left to say nice things about me on Phatmass? What about MEEEEE!!! :whine:

You know I'm joking, but there is some truth in there, too. I guess I'll get used to it, but sometimes it's hard to always be a "Good Little Christian." Take it as a compliment--You know, in my heart, that I only want what God wants for you, and that I need to learn trust God that he will take care of those left behind, of which I am one. :alone:

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1284160935' post='2171579']
Who or what is "laetitia crucis"?
[/quote]

"Laetitia Crucis" is an advocation of Our Lady which translates into English as "Joy of the Cross". :love:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284159400' post='2171572']
It must be an especially tough decision for you, because your own name is that of a very holy woman.

And, I'm sure it's also difficult to know whether, in your case, it's better to start with a completely new name--that is, starting completely fresh, or to keep your name, or a variation of it, as part of your religious name, because an important part of what you will be bringing to God as your gift in the religious life is the result of the many years of experiences that have brought you to where you are today. In a way, a religious name that combines a woman's real name (if it's also the name of a saint) with the name of another saint, kind of says "my given name expresses bringing my whole self to God, and it is combined with the name of a saint who exemplifies what I feel God is calling me to become." If you were 20, choosing a whole new name might be the more obvious decision. But, since your given name carries with it so much of your life so far with God, to me, the decision would be more difficult.

Question: Does your religious name have to explicitly include "Mary" or a form of "Mary" as one of the first two names, or, as in some communities, is "Mary" part of the name of everyone in the community, but not necessarily part of the name used on a daily basis? So, for example, if your religious name was "Sister Mary Rosary Bede," would you would normally be called "Sister Rosary Bede" or "Sister Mary Rosary?" I don't know if that question makes sense, but, to me, it would seem to affect your choice of names.

For example, If you wanted to be "Sister Clare Teresa"--combining your own name with the name of of St. Teresa, would that be okay? Or would you have to be "Sister Mary Clare" or "Sister Clare Marie" if you wanted to keep your own name?

Note to all: As far as I know, Nunsense's real name is NOT Clare. I just picked it as an example of a given name that was also that of a very holy woman.

L-C--I thought you were already Sister Domini Canis? LOL At least you have a year to pick your name. Carmelites pick their name on entrance, right? So unless the Community Nunsense has applied to is VERY slow in making decisions, she will probably have to decide much sooner.

Warning: I have already written letters to the Superiors of both your future communities, warning that you are morally unfit and completely unsuited to their community and to religious life as a whole. I'm getting VERY tired of having people I like a lot think of serving God first, instead of MY needs, and leaving to enter religious life. How selfish is THAT? Who is going to be left to say nice things about me on Phatmass? What about MEEEEE!!! :whine:

You know I'm joking, but there is some truth in there, too. I guess I'll get used to it, but sometimes it's hard to always be a "Good Little Christian." Take it as a compliment--You know, in my heart, that I only want what God wants for you, and that I need to learn trust God that he will take care of those left behind, of which I am one. :alone:
[/quote]

Oh Iggy, in some ways I think you must have the gift of prophecy because some of what you said is so eerily true. Some of it is way off the mark of course, but that is because you don't have vital info about me.

To address the last issue first - contacting the superior. Ouch. This is why I am afraid of stalkers, because this has already happened to me on two different occasions by two different people in two different ways - by people who don't even know me! I won't go into details, but if my Prioress tells me that an unknown woman has contacted her about me, I won't have to go far this time to figure out who it is..... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif[/img]

I have a little time since this community doesn't give the name until clothing, but since I probably won't be reading phatmass from there, this is my chance to pick all your brains.

Next, the name issue. Believe it or not, Clare was my baptismal and confirmation name (both done at the same time as a convert) !:o How did you know?? I chose her name long before I became a Carmelite. I am not sure how much I like it now but I am not writing it off as a possibility.

Now the whole identification with my own name issue.... a non-issue since my 'real' name is not my real name - at least not the one I was born with. I had it changed legally a long time ago for private reasons --- twice. Anyone trying to find my birth certificate would have to search back through two change of names! And that doesn't even consider the surname I had when I was married for two and a half minutes :lol4:

So I have no attachment to my name at all and I rather like the idea of becoming a new person in Christ through a new name. Not to mention that there is already a sister of my name at the convent - but I use the diminutive and she uses the full name so it was okay during the visit. I think he diminutive just seems a little childish for a religious name, but none of the others seemed to think so.

So..... I am pretty sure I would like to change it, but the new name needs to be strong and have at least some kind of meaning for me (or I have to at least like the name a lot). We don't have to include Mary but I don't mind since I love her a lot. The title has to be "of the Cross" though because I have wanted this title forever and none of the other Carmels would let me have it!

And I don't want to take a name that one of the other sisters already has, so some suggestions won't work right off. Some of the names that can't be used are

Marie-Therese
Margaret Mary
Scholastica
Joanne (John)
Anne
Philomena
Rose

and I like strong names, even male ones. One of the sisters at the convent suggested Julian for Julian of Norwich and I like it but am just not sure. Sr Julian of the Cross??

Anyway, I just thought it neat that you knew about Clare!

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1284161753' post='2171586']
Oh Iggy, in some ways I think you must have the gift of prophecy because some of what you said is so eerily true. Some of it is way off the mark of course, but that is because you don't have vital info about me.

To address the last issue first - contacting the superior. Ouch. This is why I am afraid of stalkers, because this has already happened to me on two different occasions by two different people in two different ways - by people who don't even know me! I won't go into details, but if my Prioress tells me that an unknown woman has contacted her about me, I won't have to go far this time to figure out who it is..... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif[/img]

I have a little time since this community doesn't give the name until clothing, but since I probably won't be reading phatmass from there, this is my chance to pick all your brains.

Next, the name issue. Believe it or not, Clare was my baptismal and confirmation name (both done at the same time as a convert) !:o How did you know?? I chose her name long before I became a Carmelite. I am not sure how much I like it now but I am not writing it off as a possibility.

Now the whole identification with my own name issue.... a non-issue since my 'real' name is not my real name - at least not the one I was born with. I had it changed legally a long time ago for private reasons --- twice. Anyone trying to find my birth certificate would have to search back through two change of names! And that doesn't even consider the surname I had when I was married for two and a half minutes :lol4:

So I have no attachment to my name at all and I rather like the idea of becoming a new person in Christ through a new name. Not to mention that there is already a sister of my name at the convent - but I use the diminutive and she uses the full name so it was okay during the visit. I think he diminutive just seems a little childish for a religious name, but none of the others seemed to think so.

So..... I am pretty sure I would like to change it, but the new name needs to be strong and have at least some kind of meaning for me (or I have to at least like the name a lot). We don't have to include Mary but I don't mind since I love her a lot. The title has to be "of the Cross" though because I have wanted this title forever and none of the other Carmels would let me have it!

And I don't want to take a name that one of the other sisters already has, so some suggestions won't work right off. Some of the names that can't be used are

Marie-Therese
Margaret Mary
Scholastica
Joanne (John)
Anne
Philomena
Rose

and I like strong names, even male ones. One of the sisters at the convent suggested Julian for Julian of Norwich and I like it but am just not sure. Sr Julian of the Cross??

Anyway, I just thought it neat that you knew about Clare!
[/quote]

LOL, I guess that rules out my suggestions. Do you have any other favorite saints (Carmelite or otherwise) besides Julian or Clare? Maybe instead of Julian, you could use Julia. I always liked that name.

Sr. Julia Clare of the Cross

That has a certain ring to it. :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1284162173' post='2171587']
LOL, I guess that rules out my suggestions. Do you have any other favorite saints (Carmelite or otherwise) besides Julian or Clare? Maybe instead of Julian, you could use Julia. I always liked that name.

Sr. Julia Clare of the Cross

That has a certain ring to it. :)
[/quote]

How about Sr. Amata Crucis? "Beloved of the Cross" -- that'd be "Whooooa." :notworthy2:

Edit: Or Sr. Amata of the Cross, if you prefer the title in English. ;)

Edited by laetitia crucis

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1284162393' post='2171588']
How about Sr. Amata Crucis? "Beloved of the Cross" -- that'd be "Whooooa." :notworthy2:

Edit: Or Sr. Amata of the Cross, if you prefer the title in English. ;)
[/quote]

Oooooo! That's pretty! Funnily enough, an acquaintance, who entered the Carmelites YEARS ago (it seems like forever), was considering Amata as part of her religious name because she read the book by Sr. Mary Catharine of the Summit Dominicans called "Amata Means Beloved." She ended up not taking that name when she was clothed, but I always think of her when I hear it. I haven't heard from her in years and I wonder if she is still there. She entered a convent in England. :)

hmmm names for nunsense

Claire Jeanne de la Croix
Jeanne Claire de la Croix

Chiara de la Cruce
Clara de la Cruz

edited to add I dont know if any of these names really suit you though

Edited by vee8

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1284135450' post='2171404']
[/quote]

How about ...
Therese Gemma a Crucis
Gemma Therese?

No.
Catherine Gemma

:saint:

:o :o :o [size="6"]I KNOW[/size]
Catherine Rose Gemma Therese a Crucis!!!

:like:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284159400' post='2171572']

[/quote]

Sr. Domini Canis!!! :smile3: :clapping:

I have hopes that one day you'll be able to come visit me and my new Sisters, Iggy. :buddies: :GROUPHUG: (<-- BRING IT BAAACK! :whine: )

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1284164651' post='2171598']
Sr. Domini Canis!!! :smile3: :clapping:

I have hopes that one day you'll be able to come visit me and my new Sisters, Iggy. :buddies: :GROUPHUG: (<-- BRING IT BAAACK! :whine: )
[/quote]

Darn! I just plum forgot that VeniteAdoremus entered 2 days ago! I wonder how she's doing. :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1284163711' post='2171594']
How about ...
Therese Gemma a Crucis
Gemma Therese?

No.
Catherine Gemma

:saint:

:o :o :o [size="6"]I KNOW[/size]
Catherine Rose Gemma Therese a Crucis!!!

:like:
[/quote]

:lies:

:shock:

How... could you??!?? :mad3:

To you, I throw down my gauntlet!! :french:

And I dub thee...

[size="5"]Sr. Rose Therese Gemma Linus Cletus Sixtus Polycarp of the HOLY BUCKET 'O TEARS and the Divine Child and the Holy Face, and last but not least, of the Little Flower.[/size]
[size="5"]:P :harhar: :flowers:[/size]

[size="1"]Hey... I had to throw in some Pope-martyrs in there, too. Haha![/size]

[size="1"]:bananacorn:[/size]