A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1284165335' post='2171604']
:lies:

:shock:

How... could you??!?? :mad3:

To you, I throw down my gauntlet!! :french:

And I dub thee...

[size="5"]Sr. Rose Therese Gemma Linus Cletus Sixtus Polycarp of the HOLY BUCKET 'O TEARS and the Divine Child and the Holy Face, and last but not least, of the Little Flower.[/size]
[size="5"]:P :harhar: :flowers:[/size]

[size="1"]Hey... I had to throw in some Pope-martyrs in there, too. Haha![/size]

[size="1"]:bananacorn:[/size]
[/quote]

:blink:

Boy-oh-boy! That's a LONG name!!!!!

AccountDeleted

You guys make me laugh so much. We can't use Rose at all though because two of the sisters have Rose in their name and it already gets confusing.

As for lc's name of Dominic's Anus --- I don't think that is a very nice name at all, Iggy! Please try again! :crazy:

One of the problems with using Clare I just remembered is that it always reminds me of Eclair and that makes me hungry!

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1284165335' post='2171604']
To you, I throw down my gauntlet!! :french:

And I dub thee...

[size="5"]Sr. Rose Therese Gemma Linus Cletus Sixtus Polycarp of the HOLY BUCKET 'O TEARS and the Divine Child and the Holy Face, and last but not least, of the Little Flower.[/size]
[size="5"]:P :harhar: :flowers:[/size]

[size="1"]Hey... I had to throw in some Pope-martyrs in there, too. Haha![/size]
[/quote]

:rotfl:

:|

ok there dear [size="6"]Sister Gemnma Rose Therese Catherine Athanasius Irenaeus Etheldreda of the sorrowful spotty habit, and the dreaded socks in sandals!

:nun1:

:popcorn2:
[/size]

Edited by vee8

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1284161753' post='2171586']
Oh Iggy, in some ways I think you must have the gift of prophecy because some of what you said is so eerily true. Some of it is way off the mark of course, but that is because you don't have vital info about me.

To address the last issue first - contacting the superior. Ouch. This is why I am afraid of stalkers, because this has already happened to me on two different occasions by two different people in two different ways - by people who don't even know me! I won't go into details, but if my Prioress tells me that an unknown woman has contacted her about me, I won't have to go far this time to figure out who it is..... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif[/img]

I have a little time since this community doesn't give the name until clothing, but since I probably won't be reading phatmass from there, this is my chance to pick all your brains.

Next, the name issue. Believe it or not, Clare was my baptismal and confirmation name (both done at the same time as a convert) !:o How did you know?? I chose her name long before I became a Carmelite. I am not sure how much I like it now but I am not writing it off as a possibility.

Now the whole identification with my own name issue.... a non-issue since my 'real' name is not my real name - at least not the one I was born with. I had it changed legally a long time ago for private reasons --- twice. Anyone trying to find my birth certificate would have to search back through two change of names! And that doesn't even consider the surname I had when I was married for two and a half minutes :lol4:

So I have no attachment to my name at all and I rather like the idea of becoming a new person in Christ through a new name. Not to mention that there is already a sister of my name at the convent - but I use the diminutive and she uses the full name so it was okay during the visit. I think he diminutive just seems a little childish for a religious name, but none of the others seemed to think so.

So..... I am pretty sure I would like to change it, but the new name needs to be strong and have at least some kind of meaning for me (or I have to at least like the name a lot). We don't have to include Mary but I don't mind since I love her a lot. The title has to be "of the Cross" though because I have wanted this title forever and none of the other Carmels would let me have it!

And I don't want to take a name that one of the other sisters already has, so some suggestions won't work right off. Some of the names that can't be used are

Marie-Therese
Margaret Mary
Scholastica
Joanne (John)
Anne
Philomena
Rose

and I like strong names, even male ones. One of the sisters at the convent suggested Julian for Julian of Norwich and I like it but am just not sure. Sr Julian of the Cross??

Anyway, I just thought it neat that you knew about Clare!
[/quote]

Wow! I literally came up with Clare off the top of my head--You know that you have NEVER told me it was your baptismal and confirmation name.

As for the joke about calling your superior--I truly apologize. You had briefly mentioned issues in the past, and I should have remembered and known NEVER to make a joke like that. I think you know me well enough by now that that is something I would NEVER EVER do--that's why it was a joke. But, unlike picking the name "Clare" out of thin air, I DID know better.

On a related note--you were lucky. You should have heard the random name I came up with for Vee8. However, I will not post it, because what happens in chat, stays in chat.

And, yes, I was obviously way off in certain ways due to lack of information. I just brought up that issue because I think that, for women in circumstances other than yours, the issue of changing your name could, in some cases, be different than it would be for someone in their 20's.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1284165939' post='2171608']
You guys make me laugh so much. We can't use Rose at all though because two of the sisters have Rose in their name and it already gets confusing.

As for lc's name of Dominic's Anus --- I don't think that is a very nice name at all, Iggy! Please try again! :crazy:

One of the problems with using Clare I just remembered is that it always reminds me of Eclair and that makes me hungry!
[/quote]

I am SO clueless--I never thought of that double meaning AT ALL.

I thought Domini Canis was a real name that St. Dominic called himself--The Dog of God--and from the name "Dominicans." That's why there is always a dog on the back of St. Dominic medals, holding a torch of knowlege.

However, since I don't know Latin, I probably got the name wrong in some way.

Please, L-C, don't use that name. Someone less clueless than I am will see the double meaning.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

AccountDeleted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284170721' post='2171645']

I thought Domini Canis was a real name that St. Dominic called himself--The Dog of God. That's why there is always a dog on the back of St. Dominic medals.

Please, L-C, don't use that name. Someone less clueless than I am will see the double meaning.
[/quote]

Don't be silly, she can use it if she likes it. And I am sure you are right about the translation. Not knowing enough Latin to translate it myself, I had to sound it out, and that is when I realized what it sounded like! I have a weird sense of humour. Pay no attention to me.

:blush:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284170322' post='2171640']
Wow! I literally came up with Clare off the top of my head--You know that you have NEVER told me it was your baptismal and confirmation name.

As for the joke about calling your superior--I truly apologize. You had briefly mentioned issues in the past, and I should have remembered and known NEVER to make a joke like that. I think you know me well enough by now that that is something I would NEVER EVER do--that's why it was a joke. But, unlike picking the name "Clare" out of thin air, I DID know better.

On a related note--you were lucky. You should have heard the random name I came up with for Vee8. However, I will not post it, because what happens in chat, stays in chat.

And, yes, I was obviously way off in certain ways due to lack of information. I just brought up that issue because I think that, for women in circumstances other than yours, the issue of changing your name could, in some cases, be different than it would be for someone in their 20's.
[/quote]

I was joking with you too because I know you would never do something like that.

Clare was a stroke of genius however!

For most people, their name is very important. After all, God says "I will call you by name." Whenever I heard this in the past, I would get a bit sad and say "So, God, what are you going to call me when you see me? I don't even know what my own name is anymore." I don't relate to any name I have had, and that is very strange. I wasn't called by the name on my birth certificate when I was a child, and I think this is where the whole mess started, and when I talk to myself, even I don't know what name to use!! Believe it or not. I would probably have a multiple-personality disorder if I did identify with any of the names! :crazy: But as it is, you can call me anything you like, as long as you don't call me late for dinner! :dance:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1284168909' post='2171628']
:rotfl:

:|

ok there dear [size="6"]Sister Gemnma Rose Therese Catherine Athanasius Irenaeus Etheldreda of the sorrowful spotty habit, and the dreaded socks in sandals!

:nun1:

:popcorn2:
[/size]
[/quote]

Since L-C loves to bake, I think she needs "of the Little Flour" at the end of her name. :joecool:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284170721' post='2171645']

I thought Domini Canis was a real name that St. Dominic called himself--The Dog of God--and from the name "Dominicans." That's why there is always a dog on the back of St. Dominic medals, holding a torch of knowlege.

[/quote]

I never thought of that double meaning either -- :sweat: -- Hahahahaa!!

However, rest assured, you are correct in the meaning of "Domini Canis" -- God of Dog / God's Dog. In the "early days" of the Dominicans, often there was a good world play upon their name -- "God's dogs" or the "Hounds of God" because of their preaching. They were called "Dominicans" after St. Dominic de Guzman -- but I think it's (Dogs of God) a rather fantabulous nick name to have for an entire Order, especially an Order of Preachers.

Hmmm.... :think: ...this reminds me of a section from G.K. Chesteron's biography of St. Thomas Aquinas... lemme find it....

Ah!

[quote][font="Georgia, Utopia,"][i]But if we wish for one fact that will make vivid this shock of change and challenge, and show how raw and ragged, how almost rowdy in its reckless novelty how much of the Friars[/i][Franciscans and Dominicans][i] did really seem to many in its own day, there is here a very relevant fact to reveal it. It shows how a settled and already ancient Christendom did feel it as something like the end of an age; and how the very roads of the earth seem to shake under the feet of the new and nameless army; the march of the Beggars. A mystic nursery rhyme suggests the atmosphere of such a crisis: "Hark, hark, the dogs do bark; the Beggars are coming to town". There were many towns that almost fortified themselves against them and many watchdogs of property and rank did really bark, and bark loudly, when those Beggars went by; but louder was the singing of the Beggars who sang their Canticle to the Sun, and louder the baying of the Hounds of Heaven; the[/i]Domini canes [i]of the medieval pun; the Dogs of God.[/i][/font]
[/quote]

Yesss...! :love:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284172502' post='2171665']
Since L-C loves to bake, I think she needs "of the Little Flour" at the end of her name. :joecool:
[/quote]

Aaaahahahahaahha!!!! That's HILARIOUS! :clapping:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1284171373' post='2171652']
I was joking with you too because I know you would never do something like that.

Clare was a stroke of genius however!

For most people, their name is very important. After all, God says "I will call you by name." Whenever I heard this in the past, I would get a bit sad and say "So, God, what are you going to call me when you see me? I don't even know what my own name is anymore." I don't relate to any name I have had, and that is very strange. I wasn't called by the name on my birth certificate when I was a child, and I think this is where the whole mess started, and when I talk to myself, even I don't know what name to use!! Believe it or not. I would probably have a multiple-personality disorder if I did identify with any of the names! :crazy: But as it is, you can call me anything you like, as long as you don't call me late for dinner! :dance:
[/quote]

I have never liked my real name--I think, at heart, I am Elizabeth. When I admitted that to my mother a little while ago, my mother suggested I could change my name to Elizabeth and she wouldn't be hurt. But, not after all this time. Too much trouble. It was enough hassle to go back to my maiden name after my divorce. Besides, I have learned in the past few months that all my names--First, Last, Middle--are all saint's names (although the first two are pretty obscure saints--my last name is a quite well-known saint, at least in certain parts of the world), but it has made me like my names better.

If I WERE Elizabeth, out of all the various Saint Elizabeths, the only one I really like is St. John the Baptist's mother. Can you imagine what an unusual child St. John the Baptist must have been, and what the neighbors must have said about him? Oy! His mother must have been a saint! Wait, she is! LOL :joecool:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284173256' post='2171674']
I have never liked my real name--I think, at heart, I am Elizabeth. When I admitted that to my mother a little while ago, my mother suggested I could change my name to Elizabeth and she wouldn't be hurt. But, not after all this time. Too much trouble. It was enough hassle to go back to my maiden name after my divorce. Besides, I have learned in the past few months that all my names--First, Last, Middle--are all saint's names (although the first two are pretty obscure saints--my last name is a quite well-known saint, at least in certain parts of the world), but it has made me like my names better.

If I WERE Elizabeth, out of all the various Saint Elizabeths, the only one I really like is St. John the Baptist's mother. Can you imagine what an unusual child St. John the Baptist must have been, and what the neighbors must have said about him? Oy! His mother must have been a saint! Wait, she is! LOL :joecool:
[/quote]

You and I are alike in that sense. I really like my name because it's unusual and not often used, but if I could change my name to any name in the world, it would definitely be Elizabeth. My favorite mysteries are the Joyful Mysteries, most especially the Mystery of the Visitation.

"Who am I that the mother of my Lord would come to me?"

So humble, yet so beautiful at the same time. The meaning of the name Elizabeth is:

God is my abundance

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

IgnatiusofLoyola

Duplicate post--I seem to be having this problem with my system too often lately. I draft a post, but when I try to send it, it "disappears"--only to show up again a little later. By the time it "returns" I have already drafted a new post--and my new post is usually shorter and better written than the first draft.