An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='19 June 2010 - 12:59 AM' timestamp='1276923583' post='2131265']
That's because Dominicans are the best! :woot:
[spoiler] [size="1"]But we love Franciscans because St. Dominic did.[/size][/spoiler]
[/quote]

[url="http://www.sisterservants.org"]Sister Servants of the Eternal Word[/url], anyone? Best of both worlds! ;) (And they're completely awesome)

We followed the Franciscan calendar, (though we also incorporated TONS of Dominican traditions) but I was SOOO glad we did ... because we had so many FEAST DAYS! :lol: (On big Dominican Feast Days, we celebrated those, too. :) ) Every feast day was a "celebration" day, meaning, we got to talk all day (although the silence is wonderful and beautiful, it always was a treat to be able to talk all day!), and if it was a pretty big feast day, or a well-known one, we'd have a special meal, and a special recreation planned or something. Honestly, the fact that the Franciscans have so many feast days on their calendar (as compared to other Orders) I think really shows forth their great Christian JOY!!! :D And I love it!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

I'm waiting to set an entrance date with the Poor Clare Colettines :) Those darn loans are my only obstacle right now... <_<

And, if the Carmelites and Franciscans are so similar, I imagine that is why I initially felt draw to both of them. Poverty and simplicity have been the very things I am drawn to.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='19 June 2010 - 01:50 AM' timestamp='1276923034' post='2131256']
Who here is discerning with a Franciscan order? Which one?
[/quote]

Not discerning with a particular one right now ... but I entered one, and almost entered a second, and discerned with a third etc. etc. etc. ... the only order that I seriously considered that did not have a Franciscan charism/follow the Franciscan rule was the last community that I entered; and gosh it seemed so Franciscan that I think if I looked carefully at the constitutions/rules it would actually look similar to the Franciscan rules.

:D Love Saint Francis :D. Padre Pio was franciscan (a Capuchin, offshoot of Franciscans).

franciscanheart

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 June 2010 - 09:07 AM' timestamp='1276952851' post='2131392']
What AWESOME names for her children!!!!!!
[/quote]
Let's see if I get these right:

Sebastian Mary Jozef
Maximilian Mary Karol
Ignatius Mary Michael Robert (Robert was added in the last like week or something before his birth in honor of Fr. Robert Stanion, CFR)

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='19 June 2010 - 11:12 AM' timestamp='1276960344' post='2131423']
[url="http://www.sisterservants.org"]Sister Servants of the Eternal Word[/url], anyone? Best of both worlds! ;) (And they're completely awesome)

We followed the Franciscan calendar, (though we also incorporated TONS of Dominican traditions) but I was SOOO glad we did ... because we had so many FEAST DAYS! :lol: (On big Dominican Feast Days, we celebrated those, too. :) ) Every feast day was a "celebration" day, meaning, we got to talk all day (although the silence is wonderful and beautiful, it always was a treat to be able to talk all day!), and if it was a pretty big feast day, or a well-known one, we'd have a special meal, and a special recreation planned or something. Honestly, the fact that the Franciscans have so many feast days on their calendar (as compared to other Orders) I think really shows forth their great Christian JOY!!! :D And I love it!
[/quote]
I love how joyously they live life, too! :) I was on visit on a feast day (or two?) and we had soda! :)

[quote name='cmariadiaz' date='19 June 2010 - 11:04 PM' timestamp='1277003070' post='2131644']
Not discerning with a particular one right now ... but I entered one, and almost entered a second, and discerned with a third etc. etc. etc. ... the only order that I seriously considered that did not have a Franciscan charism/follow the Franciscan rule was the last community that I entered; and gosh it seemed so Franciscan that I think if I looked carefully at the constitutions/rules it would actually look similar to the Franciscan rules.

:D Love Saint Francis :D. Padre Pio was franciscan (a Capuchin, offshoot of Franciscans).
[/quote]
Love Padre Pio. :love:

Edited by hugheyforlife

franciscanheart

There's got to be more than three of us! No? Three Franciscans and a "closet Franciscan" is all we have here. :sadder: Good thing we know how to rally together and make a lot of joyful noise. ;)

Edited by hugheyforlife

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='19 June 2010 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1276999057' post='2131633']
+JMJ

I'm waiting to set an entrance date with the Poor Clare Colettines :) Those darn loans are my only obstacle right now... <_<

[/quote]

FutureNun, not to be nosy but in a post not too long ago (thread Laboure Society) you mentioned you were going to call them. May I encourage you to do so if you haven't already? No answer required, as I said I don't want to be nosy. Cy Laurent (Executive Director) is a sweetheart of a man...and as of Sept 2009 they had assisted 186 men/women who were in various stages of formation for priesthood or religious life. You have to participate and it is some work, but they have been successful and they will give you a lot of support.

Pax,
Osap

Oooh, count me in too! :)

With the name Claire and St. Francis' feast day as my birthday, it's destiny! :P

I'm discerning with the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist. :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW8n-ApQ2Rc"]Sister Chiara's profession[/url]

Lovely video, hope to see more of these as summer rolls along- :cool: .

• 2 weeks later...
:bump:

an essential part of any Franciscan thread:
[img]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/holymusic55/Saints/St%20Francis%20of%20Assisi/san_damiano_cross.gif[/img]

I was discerning with the Capuchins of New Jersey for a few years, but ultimately realized I was barking up the wrong tree. They're a great bunch of guys and I always liked hanging with them, and they do great work in feeding the hungry. In Delaware, they've got this killer little "dining room," they call it -- it's like a soup kitchen but it's something new every day. It's like a full-service restaurant with one thing on the menu, and they give away lots of bread -- last year I spent a day working there while on a discernment visit.

Anyway. I ended up figuring out I wasn't called there.

The thing to remember about discerning with *any* order is that what they're looking out for is a love of and hunger for [i]consecrated community life[/i]. That's the first order of business; anything else you bring to the table is a bonus. For me, my focus, my hunger, my call was always to the priesthood, and consecrated life was just something I sort of dug. I spent four years hemming and hawing over them because of that, never willing to make the commitment because, deep down, I think I knew it wasn't for me. Once I got that worked out, I applied to the Diocese and here I am, six weeks from seminary.

[quote name='Arco' date='14 July 2010 - 10:21 AM' timestamp='1279117278' post='2142500']
I was discerning with the Capuchins of New Jersey for a few years, but ultimately realized I was barking up the wrong tree. They're a great bunch of guys and I always liked hanging with them, and they do great work in feeding the hungry. In Delaware, they've got this killer little "dining room," they call it -- it's like a soup kitchen but it's something new every day. It's like a full-service restaurant with one thing on the menu, and they give away lots of bread -- last year I spent a day working there while on a discernment visit.

Anyway. I ended up figuring out I wasn't called there.

The thing to remember about discerning with *any* order is that what they're looking out for is a love of and hunger for [i]consecrated community life[/i]. That's the first order of business; anything else you bring to the table is a bonus. For me, my focus, my hunger, my call was always to the priesthood, and consecrated life was just something I sort of dug. I spent four years hemming and hawing over them because of that, never willing to make the commitment because, deep down, I think I knew it wasn't for me. Once I got that worked out, I applied to the Diocese and here I am, six weeks from seminary.
[/quote]
:clapping:
Congratulations!!!!
:yahoo:

Will someone please discern with these folks?

(I think the community pictures are old and they do have some younger vocations now.)

[url="http://www.stanthonyshrine.org/PoorClares/"]http://www.stanthonyshrine.org/PoorClares/[/url]

They are within walking distance of my house and I'd like to meet you.

Obviously this should take top priority in your discernment. :)