An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans

franciscanheart

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299247807' post='2217821']
Bunked? They have bunks now? :o
[/quote]

:hehe:

I think the beds in the guest rooms were actually bunk beds sawed in half. I read in the book, "A Drama of Reform" (which I have), the Sisters sleep on beds similar to the ones the Carmelite nuns use, except the mattress is a real mattress instead of one made of hay or straw. The Friars sleep on a mattress on the floor. :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299264030' post='2217910']
:hehe:

I think the beds in the guest rooms were actually bunk beds sawed in half. I read in the book, "A Drama of Reform" (which I have), the Sisters sleep on beds similar to the ones the Carmelite nuns use, except the mattress is a real mattress instead of one made of hay or straw. The Friars sleep on a mattress on the floor. :)
[/quote]
That sounds more familiar. :proud: Low to the ground, if I remember correctly. I don't know what the Carmelites sleep on though... :unsure:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299269880' post='2217949']
That sounds more familiar. :proud: Low to the ground, if I remember correctly. I don't know what the Carmelites sleep on though... :unsure:
[/quote]

They sleep on plank boards set on two saw horses. Kind of like this:

[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_jF7ed9jwp0w/Rr9Lj9cuieI/AAAAAAAAAq8/OBI7SR1wHLc/P8058713_1.JPG[/img]

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299270992' post='2217959']
They sleep on plank boards set on two saw horses. Kind of like this:

[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_jF7ed9jwp0w/Rr9Lj9cuieI/AAAAAAAAAq8/OBI7SR1wHLc/P8058713_1.JPG[/img]
[/quote]
Very cool! :smile2: Thank you for teaching me! :dance: That does look a bit simpler than what I remember, but then, my memory is kinda cruddy. :blush:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299271875' post='2217965']
Very cool! :smile2: Thank you for teaching me! :dance: That does look a bit simpler than what I remember, but then, my memory is kinda cruddy. :blush:
[/quote]

Thankfully, that is not what we slept on in the guest rooms, but I'm sure you know that. The guest room mattress was not luxurious or anything, but it was still good. I thought it was really neat how the Friars sleep on the floor with their bed pointing towards the Crucifix on the wall. ;)

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299274234' post='2217983']
Thankfully, that is not what we slept on in the guest rooms, but I'm sure you know that. The guest room mattress was not luxurious or anything, but it was still good. I thought it was really neat how the Friars sleep on the floor with their bed pointing towards the Crucifix on the wall. ;)
[/quote]
Yes, I remember the beds. It wasn't a Sleep Number or PosturPedic by any stretch of the imagination but I was always so exhausted at the end of the day that it didn't matter. :blush: I can't tell you how many times I fell asleep on my journal and woke up with pen marks on my face. :P

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

I'm looking forward to my own straw/hay mattress... The nuns say there is one waiting for me, lol.

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1299279345' post='2218019']
+JMJ

I'm looking forward to my own straw/hay mattress... The nuns say there is one waiting for me, lol.
[/quote]
:dance:

So cool to think someone made that mattress for you too! :love:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299278665' post='2218013']
Yes, I remember the beds. It wasn't a Sleep Number or PosturPedic by any stretch of the imagination but I was always so exhausted at the end of the day that it didn't matter. :blush: I can't tell you how many times I fell asleep on my journal and woke up with pen marks on my face. :P
[/quote]

LOL, I broke the rules and listened to my iPod (with headphones of course, on low) because I had a really hard time sleeping from all the excitement. I didn't bring any books but we got the book by Fr. Andrew Apostoli on Saturday, so I had something to read that night and on the plane ride home. Plus, Sr. Francis gave us envelopes with the new newsletters.

I arrived a night early (on Thursday) because the fare was cheaper, so I got to talk to Sr. Francesca alone while we were eating dinner in the kitchen and waiting for the other Sisters to return to the convent. They were at a meeting that night, so that was pretty cool that I got to talk to her one-on-one. She's really nice. I have several favorites in that order, especially:

[u]Sisters[/u]
Sr. Agnes (she was helpful in my discernment)
Sr. Maria Teresa (she convinced me to stop making excuses and go on the "Come and See" retreat. I went the following year.)
Sr. Mairead (she is SO funny! I love her Irish accent)
Sr. Clare (the night that we went to the candidate convent, she was so nice in answering everyone's questions at dinner)
Sr. Lucille (I felt a little timid around her because she is such an important person in the CFR Sisters!)
Sr. Faustina (she is so outgoing!)
Sr. Catherine (I miss her now that she's in England)
Sr. Francesca

[u]Friars[/u]
Fr. Glenn Sudano (have you ever heard his joke about the Crazy Lady on the Bus? hysterical!)
Fr. Andrew Apostoli (I felt timid around him, too. Poor guy was so tired the day we were talking to him he almost fell asleep! :lol:)
Fr. Louis Marie (He reminds me so much of Padre Pio! He was so funny, too, when I met him)
Br. Anthony Marie (he made the retreatants laugh so hard when we met him at the Youth 2000)
Br. Tanzi Mary (he sang the most beautiful song at a young adult retreat i went to. it made me cry!)

There are many more, but these are the ones I know off the top of my head. ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299280230' post='2218024']
LOL, I broke the rules and listened to my iPod (with headphones of course, on low) because I had a really hard time sleeping from all the excitement. I didn't bring any books but we got the book by Fr. Andrew Apostoli on Saturday, so I had something to read that night and on the plane ride home. Plus, Sr. Francis gave us envelopes with the new newsletters.

I arrived a night early (on Thursday) because the fare was cheaper, so I got to talk to Sr. Francesca alone while we were eating dinner in the kitchen and waiting for the other Sisters to return to the convent. They were at a meeting that night, so that was pretty cool that I got to talk to her one-on-one. She's really nice. I have several favorites in that order, especially:

[u]Sisters[/u]
Sr. Agnes (she was helpful in my discernment)
Sr. Maria Teresa (she convinced me to stop making excuses and go on the "Come and See" retreat. I went the following year.)
Sr. Mairead (she is SO funny! I love her Irish accent)
Sr. Clare (the night that we went to the candidate convent, she was so nice in answering everyone's questions at dinner)
Sr. Lucille (I felt a little timid around her because she is such an important person in the CFR Sisters!)
Sr. Faustina (she is so outgoing!)
Sr. Catherine (I miss her now that she's in England)
Sr. Francesca

[u]Friars[/u]
Fr. Glenn Sudano (have you ever heard his joke about the Crazy Lady on the Bus? hysterical!)
Fr. Andrew Apostoli (I felt timid around him, too. Poor guy was so tired the day we were talking to him he almost fell asleep! :lol:)
Fr. Louis Marie (He reminds me so much of Padre Pio! He was so funny, too, when I met him)
Br. Anthony Marie (he made the retreatants laugh so hard when we met him at the Youth 2000)
Br. Tanzi Mary (he sang the most beautiful song at a young adult retreat i went to. it made me cry!)

There are many more, but these are the ones I know off the top of my head. ;)
[/quote]
I was exhausted from the excitement and all the running around we did!

When we were in the vans on the way to the abortion clinic, we got rear ended ... by the other van of sisters :o ... ON PURPOSE! :crazy: :lol:

I arrived later than everyone else when I visited back in 2006 but also left later. :like:

Of the CFRs I readily remember and love (who have had an impression on me):
[u]Sisters[/u]
Sr. Lucille - We hit it off right away. She made me feel so comfortable. She felt like my ACTUAL sister. I love her sweet nature.
Sr. Clare - She was the first sister I met from the community at a Youth 2000 when I was 12. She had a significant impact on my further discernment then and again in 2006 and continuing to today.
Sr. Mairead - She IS funny! And I loved her accent and laugh. I sat next to her at lunch one of the days of my visit.
Sr. Felicity - She went with me on a walk through the graveyard and said some really important things that have stayed with me to this day. Such a sweet woman with so much love for everyone around her. At the time, she was a candidate.

[u]Friars[/u]
Fr. Andrew Apostoli - Like Sister Lucille, I felt a connection with him so quickly. He encouraged my vocation, an act for which I am especially grateful.
Fr. Bernard - Another CFR I "grew up with" at Youth 2000s! He's answered questions patiently and lovingly for me over the years. I was initially intimidated by his height, but I think he's just so great!
Fr. Augustino - So funny and so much fun. So REAL. He's been a huge comfort to me as I continue to discern.
Br. Bonaventure - Met him at a Youth 2000 a number of years ago. He never stopped smiling! Every time I saw him, whether he was alone or in a group, he was just BEAMING. I loved that!! It was such a witness to me about Franciscan joy, Christ's love, and the human spirit on fire for Christ. He too encouraged my vocation (specifically to the CFRs), an act for which I am especially grateful.
Br. Mariano - He actually probably doesn't remember me. We went to WYD in Toronto together with our youth groups. His youth minister was married to my youth minister. :proud: So actually we used to quite a few big things together before he became a CFR! We had some CFR Friars with us on that trip, which is fitting, I think!

Those are my biggies. :proud: I don't know the others as well as I'd like to, but ONE DAY, God willing! :love:

:nun2:

OnlySunshine

I think the reason I was so timid around Fr. Andrew was because of the fact that I saw him on TV. I really admire and respect him and when I heard he was coming to say Mass, I was SO EXCITED! :dance: We all got a chance to talk to him individually, and I was the last one. The talk took place during the Soup Kitchen apostolate, so I missed out on a lot downstairs. Oh, well... We got to eat lunch with him, too, which was really good--leftovers from the Soup kitchen and they were serving beef stew on mashed potatoes. I love beef stew.

Also, the day after I arrived, I was helping the Sisters make their food for the yearly retreat that was starting the Sunday that all the retreatants left. I helped them chop up vegetables. I originally started to do the onions after Sr. Mairead asked me to, but Sr. Monica had to take over since I couldn't stop crying from the enzymes! LOL! She said that she never cries when she chops onions. I wish I didn't.

I loved the night that we went to the candidate house to eat dinner because we got to experience the Handmaiden meeting. They had Adoration and Sr. Cecilia and Sr. Faustina played beautiful music. I still have one of the songs on my iPod to this day. The moment I got home, I downloaded it on iTunes.

I knew, however, that I was not called there. For the most part, I really enjoyed it, but I sensed some tension from Sr. Francis and Fr. Andrew about the fact that I've suffered from depression. They were very worried that I might relapse and they were right since I am back on my medication. I hold nothing against them though and I think of them like spiritual parents because they offered to pray for me to find my true vocation. I have nothing but love and respect for the CFRs and I am so happy that you are applying to them! Maybe I'll get to meet you in person at one of the young adult retreats if you do become a Sister! That'd be amesome! :clapping:

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1299284182' post='2218040']
I think the reason I was so timid around Fr. Andrew was because of the fact that I saw him on TV. I really admire and respect him and when I heard he was coming to say Mass, I was SO EXCITED! :dance: We all got a chance to talk to him individually, and I was the last one. The talk took place during the Soup Kitchen apostolate, so I missed out on a lot downstairs. Oh, well... We got to eat lunch with him, too, which was really good--leftovers from the Soup kitchen and they were serving beef stew on mashed potatoes. I love beef stew.

Also, the day after I arrived, I was helping the Sisters make their food for the yearly retreat that was starting the Sunday that all the retreatants left. I helped them chop up vegetables. I originally started to do the onions after Sr. Mairead asked me to, but Sr. Monica had to take over since I couldn't stop crying from the enzymes! LOL! She said that she never cries when she chops onions. I wish I didn't.

I loved the night that we went to the candidate house to eat dinner because we got to experience the Handmaiden meeting. They had Adoration and Sr. Cecilia and Sr. Faustina played beautiful music. I still have one of the songs on my iPod to this day. The moment I got home, I downloaded it on iTunes.

I knew, however, that I was not called there. For the most part, I really enjoyed it, but I sensed some tension from Sr. Francis and Fr. Andrew about the fact that I've suffered from depression. They were very worried that I might relapse and they were right since I am back on my medication. I hold nothing against them though and I think of them like spiritual parents because they offered to pray for me to find my true vocation. I have nothing but love and respect for the CFRs and I am so happy that you are applying to them! Maybe I'll get to meet you in person at one of the young adult retreats if you do become a Sister! That'd be amesome! :clapping:
[/quote]
I have to tell you what a blessing it has been to talk to you about this community which I hold so dear. :proud: I was advised to go live some more and come back if I still felt drawn - and I do! While I love the CFRs SO MUCH, I rest assured in the fact that if this is not my future community, the one that IS my future community must be AMAZING. And I can't imagine the love I will have for THAT order if the CFRs aren't it!

I want to tell you about some other things from my stay but I must leave the office now and get about my nightly commitments. Talk to you soon! :smile2:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299284481' post='2218043']
I have to tell you what a blessing it has been to talk to you about this community which I hold so dear. :proud: I was advised to go live some more and come back if I still felt drawn - and I do! While I love the CFRs SO MUCH, I rest assured in the fact that if this is not my future community, the one that IS my future community must be AMAZING. And I can't imagine the love I will have for THAT order if the CFRs aren't it!

I want to tell you about some other things from my stay but I must leave the office now and get about my nightly commitments. Talk to you soon! :smile2:
[/quote]

I get so excited talking about them because they are indeed AMAZING! I don't think I love any other order as much as them, and they aren't even Dominican, but hey, legend has it that St. Dominic and St. Francis were good friends, so maybe that accounts for something.

I really would love to talk to you some more when you have the time. Until then, God be with you. Send me a PM if you like. :)

franciscanheart

I haven't forgotten about this thread, or you, MM! :) I'll send you a PM sometime in the coming week, probably. :like:

i will visit and stay for two weeks at the Franciscans of the Immaculate on April :)

Edited by tnavarro61