An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ppc

JTheresa

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='JTheresa' date='18 July 2010 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1279490930' post='2144491']
I like the Idea of you and Krissylou being oblates. You are an essential part of the PPC (heck, I'm pretty sure it was your idea in the first place :P ) and I am willing to imagine up any way that will make it work. Oblates sound like a wonderful idea, and you could certainly wear a habit if you wanted to!! I;m still trying to think of a way we could make the habit work for our may different charisms....

:idea: IDEA!!! Maybe we could all wear black ( or white. white seems more favorable but I know most of us are worried about our clumsy/klutziness. we could wear blue! or... NAVY! sorry, i really like navy. :saint: ) and [b]then we could each wear a medallion (similar to the idea of the DSMMEs) that symbolizes our particular charism. [/b]

... at least, that's one idea. :idontknow:
[/quote]

Oooooh!!!! Yes!!!!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='18 July 2010 - 07:40 PM' timestamp='1279500045' post='2144542']
Oooooh!!!! Yes!!!!
[/quote]

I was thinking a fairly dark blue was a possibility, too. Maybe something between royal and navy blue.

Sorry, no black or brown for me. I was trying to think of variations on the Dominican habit. I like the feeling the Dominican habit gives and the image it projects. I'd already planned to wear a work apron (or a variation on a work apron) during meals. LOL

What I didn't know was whether members would want to do the opposite, and wear the habit of their charism, and then maybe we could add a PPC pin. However, I hadn't figured out Sisters could both be in PPC AND another Order.

However, whatever the habit, I'd expect that many Sisters would want to wear black veils, because of the symbolism. I thought that one possibility for an Oblate habit would be that we would keep the white veil--sort of a permanent novice. That might not be the only difference. I haven't given this lots of thought.

Others please speak up if you have ideas!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='20 July 2010 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1279650962' post='2145511']
I was thinking a fairly dark blue was a possibility, too. Maybe something between royal and navy blue.

Sorry, no black or brown for me. I was trying to think of variations on the Dominican habit. I like the feeling the Dominican habit gives and the image it projects. I'd already planned to wear a work apron (or a variation on a work apron) during meals. LOL

What I didn't know was whether members would want to do the opposite, and wear the habit of their charism, and then maybe we could add a PPC pin. However, I hadn't figured out Sisters could both be in PPC AND another Order.

However, whatever the habit, I'd expect that many Sisters would want to wear black veils, because of the symbolism. I thought that one possibility for an Oblate habit would be that we would keep the white veil--sort of a permanent novice. That might not be the only difference. I haven't given this lots of thought.

Others please speak up if you have ideas!
[/quote]

I'm in favor of a Dominican-styled habit -- long tunic, scapular, cape, and mantle/cappa -- and the royal or navy blue. :D As for veils, I'd love to have a veil like the Sisters of Life, except a full veil. I'm fond of white veils (despite my unnatural affinity for stains :sweat: ) for their symbolism of being a "permanent novice", or always learning, though I'd like the colored band like the Sisters of Life.

However, if majority wants the black veils for the "professed", then I will support this, too! :grouphug: Let us all be of one mind and heart, dear Sisters!

Hmmmm.... :think: You bring up a good point though with the pin thing, Iggy. That's a good question to ask! I suppose perhaps we could do the individual habits of each community/order and then have a unified PCC medallion?

I'm pretty much up for anything habit-wise, as long as I get a scapular and cape. :lol:

Oh. And for the record, I'd like to wear sandals [i]without[/i] socks. :saint:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='20 July 2010 - 04:05 PM' timestamp='1279656339' post='2145569']
I'm in favor of a Dominican-styled habit -- long tunic, scapular, cape, and mantle/cappa -- and the royal or navy blue. :D As for veils, I'd love to have a veil like the Sisters of Life, except a full veil. I'm fond of white veils (despite my unnatural affinity for stains :sweat: ) for their symbolism of being a "permanent novice", or always learning, though I'd like the colored band like the Sisters of Life.

Oh. And for the record, I'd like to wear sandals [i]without[/i] socks. :saint:
[/quote]

I agree. Especially the part about the sandals. :rolleyes:

Sandals with socks = :no:

and I never even though about the reverse: each charism wih their own habit and then a PPC pin. It definitely sounds doable.I guess I would just be tempted to make my habit look Dominican, since I love the style so much. :P

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='20 July 2010 - 04:05 PM' timestamp='1279656339' post='2145569']
Oh. And for the record, I'd like to wear sandals [i]without[/i] socks. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]
[/quote]

So. I live in Boston. Shortly after I moved here some years back, Cardinal Law's resignation was FINALLY accepted and Sean Patrick O'Malley was appointed to what had to be one of the tougher jobs in the Church.

Archbishop Sean (as "Sean" is his religious name and he was baptized Patrick, this is technically correct) is I think a Capuchin. Definitely Franciscan. In one of the early Boston Globe stories about his appointment, he was described as a "Sandal-clad Franciscan."

My dad grew up in a Franciscan-run parish in Cleveland. I asked if the Franciscans at St. Anthony's wore sandals. He thought they did.

Cleveland gets a WHOLE LOT of lake effect snow.

I believe strongly that sandals are one thing if you live in Spain (Teresa) or Italy (Francis, Clare) but where it is COLD and SNOWS then we should be able to cover our tootsies. Are there appropriate-for-nuns snow boots?

laetitia crucis

[quote name='krissylou' date='20 July 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1279663115' post='2145652']
So. I live in Boston. Shortly after I moved here some years back, Cardinal Law's resignation was FINALLY accepted and Sean Patrick O'Malley was appointed to what had to be one of the tougher jobs in the Church.

Archbishop Sean (as "Sean" is his religious name and he was baptized Patrick, this is technically correct) is I think a Capuchin. Definitely Franciscan. In one of the early Boston Globe stories about his appointment, he was described as a "Sandal-clad Franciscan."

My dad grew up in a Franciscan-run parish in Cleveland. I asked if the Franciscans at St. Anthony's wore sandals. He thought they did.

Cleveland gets a WHOLE LOT of lake effect snow.

I believe strongly that sandals are one thing if you live in Spain (Teresa) or Italy (Francis, Clare) but where it is COLD and SNOWS then we should be able to cover our tootsies. Are there appropriate-for-nuns snow boots?
[/quote]

:lol: I am in total agreement about protecting our feet from danger of frostbite! :yes:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='20 July 2010 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1279664726' post='2145658']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img] I am in total agreement about protecting our feet from danger of frostbite! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/caption_yes.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Okay, here is what I have been thinking about habits--but first shoes.

I agree with sandals as the basic footwear for inside or when it's not snowing or cold. However, some people will get cold feet (literally). So, my vote is that you can wear brown or grey socks with your sandals--white socks with sandals are a fashion faux pas, although some very holy people wear them. Frankly, when your feet are cold, you don't care how you look.

As for going outside in the snow, there are definitely snow boots appropriate for Sisters. I bought Sister Helen a pair from Land's End a few years ago. They were very simple, black (her habit and coat are black), but they offered other colors, as well. They were on sale for $20. I didn't see the same snow boots the following year, but every year the styles are a little different so let's assume that we can find some snow boots that are appropriate and not expensive. I vote that we also have heavy wool capes with hoods for outdoors. It is also easy to find plain, inexpensive mittens.

It makes sense that Sisters in hermitages move inside for the winter, so there are no safety issues as well as to save on heat. If it gets dangerously cold (-0 F or less), I vote that we do what "my" Sisters do. We take donations of coats, and wear whatever fits best. But, heck, I've got a big collection and I bet some others do, as well. Alternatively, we can buy coats during the winter sales when they are cheap. Again, Lands' End has some very warm coats that are very reasonably priced. Since they will be on sale, we won't worry about the color too much--just nothing outrageous. However, when it gets below zero F, we'll try to go outside as little as possible.

Also, the Nashville Dominicans have sneakers, and I vote we have them, too, for going outside when it's muddy and for playing sports.

Okay, onto the habit. I'm leaning toward everyone wearing the same habit, with a pin or something to indicate their charism, because, for example, if someone is in PPC, I doubt they'd be allowed to be a Carmelite or Dominican. But, I don't know how the rules work, so someone speak up.

My preference would be that the habit would be modeled on the Nashville Dominicans, because I think we all like that habit. But, so it isn't alike, we'd incorporate some dark blue--but not identical to Sisters of Life. Question for LC--Where can we incorporate blue into the Dominican habit? Why am I thinking that the scapular has to be white? Am I wrong about that? Since this won't actually be a Dominican community, can the scapular be blue? What do communities do who don't wear the white Domican scapular or the brown(?) Carmelite scapular? If the cape sleeves are blue, the habit may be too much like the Sisters of Life. It may be that the habit and scapular are white, but the cape sleeves have blue edges. For a veil, I like white veils, and I also like L-C's preference for a blue band on the veil. So, how about a long Nashville Domican veil, with a blue edge at the face (or even blue edges all around? I've never seen that so maybe that's not kosher.) Novices wear all-white veils, professed wear the white veil with the blue edging. Perpetual professed wear a ring. What have I forgotten?

Oh, the clothing ceremony includes wedding gowns. But, not for Oblates--or at least not for women who have been married. I'd feel like an idiot.

Oblates will wear the same habit as the novices/professed, but keep the all-white veil. And, no final profession and no ring.

Another completely different idea. I like white, but I can live with a dark blue--something between royal blue and navy. We could have habits like the pink sisters, but our the main color of our habit wouldn't be pink, but be dark blue with white scapulars. We'd still have the ND caped sleeves in blue, white, or white with blue edges--I can't picture clothes in my mind so I don't know how those options would look. Veils would be the same as above--All white for novices, white with blue edging for professed.

I'm voting for style of the Nashville Dominican veil. I know some would prefer veils that don't show hair. But, those veils are also more complex, and usually mean a wimple, too, and I think a wimple might be uncomfortable. My vote is to go with the simple, Domican-type veil, but long, like the Nashville Dominicans.

If anyone feels strongly about the lack of black veils--or anything else, speak up. As I said, I have a hard time picturing habits in my head.

Addition: The blue in these habits is the blue I am thinking of. Actually, I like these habits but the wimple looks too tight. I'd rather go with a simpler veil. The habit does look simple, but I think too many of us would have "cape envy." LOL

[url="http://www.sistersofmarymotherofthechurch.org/"]http://www.sistersofmarymotherofthechurch.org/[/url]

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='20 July 2010 - 07:33 PM' timestamp='1279668792' post='2145692']
Okay, here is what I have been thinking about habits--but first shoes.

I agree with sandals as the basic footwear for inside or when it's not snowing or cold. However, some people will get cold feet (literally). So, my vote is that you can wear brown or grey socks with your sandals--white socks with sandals are a fashion faux pas, although some very holy people wear them. Frankly, when your feet are cold, you don't care how you look.

As for going outside in the snow, there are definitely snow boots appropriate for Sisters. I bought Sister Helen a pair from Land's End a few years ago. They were very simple, black (her habit and coat are black), but they offered other colors, as well. They were on sale for $20. I didn't see the same snow boots the following year, but every year the styles are a little different so let's assume that we can find some snow boots that are appropriate and not expensive. I vote that we also have heavy wool capes with hoods for outdoors. It is also easy to find plain, inexpensive mittens.

It makes sense that Sisters in hermitages move inside for the winter, so there are no safety issues as well as to save on heat. If it gets dangerously cold (-0 F or less), I vote that we do what "my" Sisters do. We take donations of coats, and wear whatever fits best. But, heck, I've got a big collection and I bet some others do, as well. Alternatively, we can buy coats during the winter sales when they are cheap. Again, Lands' End has some very warm coats that are very reasonably priced. Since they will be on sale, we won't worry about the color too much--just nothing outrageous. However, when it gets below zero F, we'll try to go outside as little as possible.

Also, the Nashville Dominicans have sneakers, and I vote we have them, too, for going outside when it's muddy and for playing sports.

Okay, onto the habit. I'm leaning toward everyone wearing the same habit, with a pin or something to indicate their charism, because, for example, if someone is in PPC, I doubt they'd be allowed to be a Carmelite or Dominican. But, I don't know how the rules work, so someone speak up.

My preference would be that the habit would be modeled on the Nashville Dominicans, because I think we all like that habit. But, so it isn't alike, we'd incorporate some dark blue--but not identical to Sisters of Life. Question for LC--Where can we incorporate blue into the Dominican habit? Why am I thinking that the scapular has to be white? Am I wrong about that? Since this won't actually be a Dominican community, can the scapular be blue? What do communities do who don't wear the white Domican scapular or the brown(?) Carmelite scapular? If the cape sleeves are blue, the habit may be too much like the Sisters of Life. It may be that the habit and scapular are white, but the cape sleeves have blue edges. For a veil, I like white veils, and I also like L-C's preference for a blue band on the veil. So, how about a long Nashville Domican veil, with a blue edge at the face (or even blue edges all around? I've never seen that so maybe that's not kosher.) Novices wear all-white veils, professed wear the white veil with the blue edging. Perpetual professed wear a ring. What have I forgotten?

Oh, the clothing ceremony includes wedding gowns. But, not for Oblates--or at least not for women who have been married. I'd feel like an idiot.

Oblates will wear the same habit as the novices/professed, but keep the all-white veil. And, no final profession and no ring.

Another completely different idea. I like white, but I can live with a dark blue--something between royal blue and navy. We could have habits like the pink sisters, but our the main color of our habit wouldn't be pink, but be dark blue with white scapulars. We'd still have the ND caped sleeves in blue, white, or white with blue edges--I can't picture clothes in my mind so I don't know how those options would look. Veils would be the same as above--All white for novices, white with blue edging for professed.

I'm voting for style of the Nashville Dominican veil. I know some would prefer veils that don't show hair. But, those veils are also more complex, and usually mean a wimple, too, and I think a wimple might be uncomfortable. My vote is to go with the simple, Domican-type veil, but long, like the Nashville Dominicans.

If anyone feels strongly about the lack of black veils--or anything else, speak up. As I said, I have a hard time picturing habits in my head.

Addition: The blue in these habits is the blue I am thinking of. Actually, I like these habits but the wimple looks too tight. I'd rather go with a simpler veil. The habit does look simple, but I think too many of us would have "cape envy." LOL

[url="http://www.sistersofmarymotherofthechurch.org/"]http://www.sistersofmarymotherofthechurch.org/[/url]
[/quote]

We can totally have a blue scapular if we want. I think the Sisters of Mary's color is lovely. Benedictines are I think all black. Trappists have a white tunic and black scapular.

I couldn't see all-white, but I could do a white habit and blue scapular. (Scapulars were originally aprons, after all!) Or the tunic could be blue too.

I am meh on capes but the rest of you love them so much I will offer it up. :saint:

I like the idea of the same habit with pins to identify different charisms. As for whether we would be permitted to do it the other way around, I think that might be possible, if all the various orders agreed. The reason I say that is that there is a teensy little (co-ed) community of renegade Carmelites near me. (NOT the Roxbury Carmelites I keep talking about.) I think they have maybe 3 or 4 vowed members although they seem to have a significant lay community. A few years ago the bishop withdrew approval -- you're teensy, you aren't going to be able to sustain yourselves, it's over. They kept chugging anyways. From what I read around that, the official Carmelites had allowed the use of the Carmelite habit contingent on the local bishop's approval of the community. Too bad, the renegades keep chugging anyways. Still in habit.

So. Since we will not be renegades but undoubtedly have the bishop's approval, it is entirely possible that the various orders could give permission to use their habits. But not necessarily. And what would we do if some granted permission and others did not? :unsure: I still like the PPC habit with identifying pin.

I can see it now:

Us: Dear Bishop. Please grant your blessing to our community. We are Benedictine and Carmelite and Franciscan and Dominican and Visitandine and cloistered and semi-cloistered and not-at-all cloistered and we like to wear sandals except when it is cold. Or muddy. Then we like boots. When it is medium cold we wear socks with our sandals, but they cannot be white socks as that would be unfashionable and we wish to be nuns with a sense of style. And we like treehouses. And libraries with pictures but not too many pictures that they'll crowd out the books. And we have a hermit. Don't bother her, she's being quiet and contemplative. Also, don't bother her because vee8 is standing guard with a super-soaker.

Bishop: :shock: :wacko:

[quote name='krissylou' date='20 July 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1279680751' post='2145792']
So. Since we will not be renegades but undoubtedly have the bishop's approval, it is entirely possible that the various orders could give permission to use their habits. But not necessarily. And what would we do if some granted permission and others did not? :unsure: I still like the PPC habit with identifying pin.

I can see it now:

Us: Dear Bishop. Please grant your blessing to our community. We are Benedictine and Carmelite and Franciscan and Dominican and Visitandine and cloistered and semi-cloistered and not-at-all cloistered and we like to wear sandals except when it is cold. Or muddy. Then we like boots. When it is medium cold we wear socks with our sandals, but they cannot be white socks as that would be unfashionable and we wish to be nuns with a sense of style. And we like treehouses. And libraries with pictures but not too many pictures that they'll crowd out the books. And we have a hermit. Don't bother her, she's being quiet and contemplative. Also, don't bother her because vee8 is standing guard with a super-soaker.

Bishop: :shock: :wacko:
[/quote]

:lol_pound: BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
haha... krissylou you are so funny!!! That is pretty much the humorous parts if our community summed up. LOL!!!

Ok, so it seems as though we have a general liking for a habit that is the same for all of us and a pin or medallion with our specific charism. The habit will most likely be dark blue but which parts are blue to which parts are white is still in debate. Sandals without socks shall be worn unless it is cold in that case we are permitted to wear only black or brown socks, (no white!!) In the winter we can wear snow boots. sneakers fir mud and playing outside. Do I have that right?

now for some more ideas: would it work if we had the whole habit, including scapular and cape, be blue? I really wish I could photoshop a nun picture and post it. I don't know how the image is getting across. Also, I know some people on VS prefer the wimple (coronet?) so could the cloistered portion wear one? the habit itself would be the same style but the cloistered could look, well, more cloistered and less active. if that makes sense. And what about just normal shoes? should we have a nicer pair of shoes for sunday? I know I've heard of Sunday shoes and a Sunday habit. Basically a habit that you don't work in ( no stains ) and a nicerish pair of shoes. A religious Sunday Best per se? :saint:

Shoes.

I had finished college. I was building up something of a professional wardrobe. I needed some shoes that were formal, but I still wanted to say "I am in my young 20s here ..." And also reasonably comfortable as I would be on my feet a lot.

Trying to be a bit trendy, I got some shoes that had high heels (chunky heels) but were also tie-ons. This was a short-lived style I admit. But it was in style at the time.

Both of my parents, independently, looked at them and said "boy are those nun shoes!"

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img]

Not really the look I had been going for.

But apparently I am ALL SET for the PPC!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='krissylou' date='20 July 2010 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1279680751' post='2145792']
We can totally have a blue scapular if we want. I think the Sisters of Mary's color is lovely. Benedictines are I think all black. Trappists have a white tunic and black scapular.

I couldn't see all-white, but I could do a white habit and blue scapular. (Scapulars were originally aprons, after all!) Or the tunic could be blue too.

I am meh on capes but the rest of you love them so much I will offer it up. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]

I like the idea of the same habit with pins to identify different charisms. As for whether we would be permitted to do it the other way around, I think that might be possible, if all the various orders agreed.

So. Since we will not be renegades but undoubtedly have the bishop's approval, it is entirely possible that the various orders could give permission to use their habits. But not necessarily. And what would we do if some granted permission and others did not? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img] I still like the PPC habit with identifying pin.

I can see it now:

Bishop: [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif[/img]
[/quote]

KrissyLou--I howled with laughter when I read this. And, yet strangely, your letter communicated much of the spirit of our community without lapsing into "Mission-statement speak." (Notice I didn't say "charism"--because it doesn't capture as much of that--and it wasn't intended to). Clearly, we will need to locate our monastery somewhere where the bishop is flexible and has a sense of humor. And, if he's lucky, we'll invite him over sometimes, because we are so much fun and we have a great cook.

[quote name='JTheresa' date='20 July 2010 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1279684584' post='2145809']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_pound.gif[/img] BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
haha... krissylou you are so funny!!! That is pretty much the humorous parts if our community summed up. LOL!!!

Ok, so it seems as though we have a general liking for a habit that is the same for all of us and a pin or medallion with our specific charism. The habit will most likely be dark blue but which parts are blue to which parts are white is still in debate. Sandals without socks shall be worn unless it is cold in that case we are permitted to wear only black or brown socks, (no white!!) In the winter we can wear snow boots. sneakers fir mud and playing outside. Do I have that right?

now for some more ideas: would it work if we had the whole habit, including scapular and cape, be blue? I really wish I could photoshop a nun picture and post it. I don't know how the image is getting across. Also, I know some people on VS prefer the wimple (coronet?) so could the cloistered portion wear one? the habit itself would be the same style but the cloistered could look, well, more cloistered and less active. if that makes sense. And what about just normal shoes? should we have a nicer pair of shoes for sunday? I know I've heard of Sunday shoes and a Sunday habit. Basically a habit that you don't work in ( no stains ) and a nicerish pair of shoes. A religious Sunday Best per se? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]
[/quote]

JTeresa--As much as I love you, it's icksnay on the totally darker blue habit. Too much like black. I will get depressed.

Sample: Sister 1: "I'm worried because Sister P hasn't come out of her cell. She says she has 'Habit Affective Disorder,' whatever that is." Sister 2: "Remember, Sister P was married to a clinical pyschologist, and unfortunately she caught a lot of his weirdness--or maybe she was weird and that's why she married him. None of us knew her in her 20's so we'll never know. There's a condition called Seasonal Affective Distorder where gloomy weather makes you depressed." Sister 1: "But, it's gorgeous outside." Sister 2: "It's the dark blue habit that's making her depressed. She still hasn't learned how to 'offer it up.' I suggest we stop bringing her food, so she has to come out of her cell." Sister 1: "Sister P has threatened that if we don't feed her, she'll come to refectory wearing a towel as a veil, and a calf-length (and modest) T-Shirt that says, 'This is my modified habit. Offer it up.'" Sister 2: "Sister P certainly knows how to say 'Offer it up' even though she hasn't learned how to do it yet." And so on.

Also, it is NOT navy blue. Navy blue is too much like black. The color I am thinking of is a shade or two lighter, something like Patone PMS 280. FYI: Pantone is the system for naming all the thousands of shades of colors. Each shade has a number. Here is a pdf file with a Pantone Color chart. I love the Pantone color chart--more shades of color than you ever imagined. [url="http://www.fmrincorp...PColorChart.pdf"]http://www.fmrincorp...PColorChart.pdf[/url] Sorry I couldn't copy the shade off the chart--it would have been a lot easier.

I suggested blue because it is a color I like, it's the color of Mary, and it's a way to differentiate ourselves from the Dominican habit. But, not to make the whole habit blue.

In fact, if the rest of the community decides on a totally blue habit, I might decide to make a "dumb mistake" and order our habit fabric in some nice shade of yellow or light peach, or some other color I look good in. We couldn't throw the fabric away, because that would be wasteful and besides, I'd "accidentally" gotten an awesome price on the fabric, on the condition we didn't return it.

I'm open to a wimple. Not so much to a Coronet. I admit, the Coronet looks great on the Sisters in the Web site I posted. In fact, this is my very favorite habit ever. It gives an idea of the look of the white veil with blue trim--very simple, yet classy. And, the coronet gives the Sisters a lot of authority and respect, without being drab. However, the coronet looks uncomfortable. (I think it's just a round piece of hard plastic.) Also, their wimple is tight, and while it is very attractive, it looks like it's uncomfortable--plus one more thing to wash. And, I would get food on the wimple.

However, since we've broken most of the rules anyway, I'm fine with offering an option in veils. It's a good idea that cloistered might wear one veil while non-cloistered wear another, but with our luck, some non-cloistered sister would want a veil that covers her hair and a cloistered sister would want a veil that doesn't cover her hair. Why not offer a choice, or both? One of the reasons I like a choice is that I like the idea that habits wouldn't totally indicate to outsiders a Sister's "status" in the community. We'll be small enough that WE'LL know who everyone is and where they fit in. Let everyone outside the Community be confused--it will be a lesson in flexibility for them.

So, I'm open to various combinations of blue and white. For example, I could live with a blue habit and blue cape sleeves, and a white scapular. But, my preference would be a white habit (with white cape sleeves) with a blue scapular. Although I would favor some flexibiliy, I think the habits should have the same color combinations. So, some Sisters wouldn't have totally blue habits while others have totally white.

After thinking about Krissylou's comments above, I could easily live without the cape sleeves. I think they look awesome, but my cape sleeves would be always be in the spaghetti sauce (or, more likely, the second dessert I got from a Sister who didn't want hers). So, maybe Oblates wouldn't wear capes, or we'd give people a choice. It looks as if most Dominican nuns don't wear cape sleeves, so people are already used to seeing the basic Dominican habit both ways.

We'd have cappas for chapel, the opposite color of the habit.

But, what I really want is one of those long capes for outdoors, with hoods, like they wear in Harry Potter. Heck, if monks can get hoods, why not Sisters?

[quote name='krissylou' date='21 July 2010 - 12:30 PM' timestamp='1279733424' post='2145959']
Shoes.

I had finished college. I was building up something of a professional wardrobe. I needed some shoes that were formal, but I still wanted to say "I am in my young 20s here ..." And also reasonably comfortable as I would be on my feet a lot.

Trying to be a bit trendy, I got some shoes that had high heels (chunky heels) but were also tie-ons. This was a short-lived style I admit. But it was in style at the time.

Both of my parents, independently, looked at them and said "boy are those nun shoes!"

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img]

Not really the look I had been going for.

But apparently I am ALL SET for the PPC!

[/quote]

LOL!!! I know what Sister shoes look like, that's what the Sisters across the street wear in winter (and most of the older Sisters--heck, it's a retirement home, they're all "older"--wear them all year. Now you know why L-C wants sandals! However, I also think that within a very limited range, Sister's shoes wouldn't have to be identical, just as our sandals would have to fit similar guidelines, but not need to be identical.

And, if we decide to have an indoor swimming pool, the Sisters could order identical very modest swimsuits from Lands' End. I think "modest" is enough--we don't need Muslim bathing suits. Plus, apparently the real Muslim swimsuits are expensive. We will simply never have coed swimming. BTW--The ONLY reason I am suggesting an indoor pool is so we would get enough exercise in winter. (Yeah, right.) Walking laps in the cloister corridor could be distracting, especially if everyone is reciting Hail Marys. I guess we could make sure there is some large room in the Monastery that is rarely used (only for receptions, etc) and exercise class could be offered there--but you won't find me joining in! (That in itself might be a strong inducement for some Sisters to attend. LOL)

I can imagine the community already. "Sister P, it's very gracious of you to offer to help us, but why not take this time to grab a nap" (Notice she didn't say "a quick nap." LOL)

Okay, speak up, let us know what you think. I do wish one of us was skilled enough at Photoshop to offer designs for habits, veils, etc. But, I assume that before we made a final decision we would do that.

Every day, when I read other threads on Phatmass, I'm glad I named our Monastery "Our Lady of Peace." This is such a peaceful place to be. We disagree, but we find compromises. And, while no one will get exactly what they want (remember, I agreed to a statue of that French lady in the garden--of course, I didn't mention that the garden would be on the outer edge of the monastery grounds! LOL!), I think one goal is for each of us to get at least a few things we REALLY want, and that nothing in the set-up of the community will be something you can't live with.

Note to KrissyLou: If you still need ideas for "professional" shoes that are comfortable, let me know. I looked around for YEARS to find some, but I can point you to some options. You may have to order them over the Internet.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Hilde' date='21 July 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1279744698' post='2146099']
Lawl at the letter to the bishop. Don't forget the flying ship in the church ceiling though.
[/quote]

We definitely won't forget. The ceiling of the main chapel will definitely have a Viking ship hanging from the ceiling. I like the idea--it will make our chapel unique (outside of Norway) and will make it more beautiful.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='21 July 2010 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1279743345' post='2146094']
JTeresa--As much as I love you, it's icksnay on the totally darker blue habit. Too much like black. I will get depressed. [color="#0000FF"]( :hehe: )[/color]

So, I'm open to various combinations of blue and white. For example, I could live with a blue habit and blue cape sleeves, and a white scapular. But, my preference would be a white habit (with white cape sleeves) with a blue scapular. Although I would favor some flexibiliy, I think the habits should have the same color combinations. So, some Sisters wouldn't have totally blue habits while others have totally white.

After thinking about Krissylou's comments above, I could easily live without the cape sleeves. I think they look awesome, but my cape sleeves would be always be in the spaghetti sauce (or, more likely, the second dessert I got from a Sister who didn't want hers). So, maybe Oblates wouldn't wear capes, or we'd give people a choice. It looks as if most Dominican nuns don't wear cape sleeves, so people are already used to seeing the basic Dominican habit both ways.

We'd have cappas for chapel, the opposite color of the habit.

But, what I really want is one of those long capes for outdoors, with hoods, like they wear in Harry Potter. Heck, if monks can get hoods, why not Sisters? [color="#0000FF"]<-- YES!!![/color]

LOL!!! I know what Sister shoes look like, that's what the Sisters across the street wear in winter (and most of the older Sisters--heck, it's a retirement home, they're all "older"--wear them all year. Now you know why L-C wants sandals! However, I also think that within a very limited range, Sister's shoes wouldn't have to be identical, just as our sandals would have to fit similar guidelines, but not need to be identical.

And, if we decide to have an indoor swimming pool, the Sisters could order identical very modest swimsuits from Lands' End. I think "modest" is enough--we don't need Muslim bathing suits. Plus, apparently the real Muslim swimsuits are expensive. We will simply never have coed swimming. BTW--The ONLY reason I am suggesting an indoor pool is so we would get enough exercise in winter. (Yeah, right.) Walking laps in the cloister corridor could be distracting, especially if everyone is reciting Hail Marys. I guess we could make sure there is some large room in the Monastery that is rarely used (only for receptions, etc) and exercise class could be offered there--but you won't find me joining in! (That in itself might be a strong inducement for some Sisters to attend. LOL)
[/quote]

My community has a swimming pool. :mellow:

And I already had a brown swimsuit. :))