An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ppc

JTheresa

[quote name='krissylou' date='20 July 2010 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1279680751' post='2145792']

So. Since we will not be renegades but undoubtedly have the bishop's approval, it is entirely possible that the various orders could give permission to use their habits. But not necessarily. And what would we do if some granted permission and others did not? :unsure: I still like the PPC habit with identifying pin.

I can see it now:

Us: Dear Bishop. Please grant your blessing to our community. We are Benedictine and Carmelite and Franciscan and Dominican and Visitandine and cloistered and semi-cloistered and not-at-all cloistered and we like to wear sandals except when it is cold. Or muddy. Then we like boots. When it is medium cold we wear socks with our sandals, but they cannot be white socks as that would be unfashionable and we wish to be nuns with a sense of style. And we like treehouses. And libraries with pictures but not too many pictures that they'll crowd out the books. And we have a hermit. Don't bother her, she's being quiet and contemplative. Also, don't bother her because vee8 is standing guard with a super-soaker.

Bishop: :shock: :wacko:
[/quote]

:lol_pound:

Divine Mercy 9999

Can I join, too?

I love blue habits- this is a favorite.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ymg9VAvJo3E/SxDBiTqCmcI/AAAAAAAAI1o/fkKW_q_O9Q4/s1600/Catherine+Laboure.jpg[/img]

Edited by Divine Mercy 9999

[quote name='Divine Mercy 9999' date='24 July 2010 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1279990714' post='2147440']
Can I join, too?

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ymg9VAvJo3E/SxDBiTqCmcI/AAAAAAAAI1o/fkKW_q_O9Q4/s1600/Catherine+Laboure.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Yes!! Welcome!

Blue habits happen to be very popular around here. ;)

[quote name='Divine Mercy 9999' date='24 July 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1279990714' post='2147440']
Can I join, too?

[/quote]

yes to you and the habit but the wimple is it called? No thanks!

[quote name='Hilde' date='24 July 2010 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1279999135' post='2147498']
Those medals are giant
[/quote]

Nah, she was a rather small person.

I dunno I still think this is a pretty reasonable style of habit :whistle:

[img]http://www.littleflowerparish.com/uploads/st-therese-0.jpg[/img]
ohai

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='24 July 2010 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1280000398' post='2147509']
I dunno I still think this is a pretty reasonable style of habit [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.littleflowerparish.com/uploads/st-therese-0.jpg[/img]
ohai
[/quote]

The French Lady is still wearing a wimple. It looks uncomfortable.

Note to Divine Mercy--In the picture in the earlier thread, the nun is not wearing a wimple, but her coif is outrageous. We haven't made final decisions on the habit, but it will be some combination of darker blue and white. But, probably not a wimple, unless some sisters really want one.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Hilde' date='24 July 2010 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1279999135' post='2147498']
Those medals are giant
[/quote]

[quote name='vee8' date='24 July 2010 - 02:28 PM' timestamp='1279999739' post='2147505']
Nah, she was a rather small person.
[/quote]

I've never heard of an Order of midget nuns. I think those medals are huge, and probably heavy, and clanked when she walked. So much for "Quiet as a nun."

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='24 July 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1280001271' post='2147523']
The French Lady is still wearing a wimple. It looks uncomfortable.

Note to Divine Mercy--In the picture in the earlier thread, the nun is not wearing a wimple, but her coif is outrageous. We haven't made final decisions on the habit, but it will be some combination of darker blue and white. But, probably not a wimple, unless some sisters really want one.
[/quote]

:doh: I'm mixing up my wimples and coifs :lol: St Catherine Laboures coif is something I'm sure no one in the ppc wants to spend the time or starch ironing! As for the French Lady's wimple I don't think it looks that tight but then again maybe they wear them looser now than they used to? I dunno Im easily distracted by shiny things though so spent more time looking at the pin they use to keep the veil on :sweat: than the wimple which looked pretty loose to me.

would you allow an older, married, mother of 4 to join? maybe, sorta part time? I'm really partial to the lavender habit I saw a nun wearing at the Vatican. or the light yellow one I saw another nun wearing in Rome. (yes, full habits with veils and everything) :yahoo:

p.s. may I suggest as a fuel effecient form of transportation..... :biker: ( I can bring my red scooter)

linnie

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Divine Mercy 9999' date='24 July 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1279990714' post='2147440']
Can I join, too?

[/quote]

You are quite welcome to join us. Please post in this thread, we always need new ideas. Yes, it does appear that the habit will be some combination of darker blue and white. But, I agree, this coif not only looks uncomfortable, but high maintenance. I think we're going for simple when it comes to the habit. There is some disagreement about preferences in veil styles, but I think you can assume it will be simpler than this one.

The only requirements are that you are open-minded enough to live in a community of Augustinian/Benedictine/Carmelite/Dominican/Franciscan/Visitandine/Other. However, I'm not sure that Passonists, and others who desire a very penitential and austere life would be very happy. Also, we will wear the habit, so those who wish a community that wears regular street clothes might want to look elsewhere.

However, for those who like bloody pictures, there will be a chapel of the Crucifixion, and also a chapel (with thick stone walls) for those of the Carmelite persuasion so that they can engage in heavenly ectasies at any time of night and not keep the rest of us awake. (The chapel can have a side room with cots and a bathroom for those who want to stay all night.) Buckets will be provided for holy tears of joy. Those who want a life of heavy manual labor are welcome--there are always things to be done around a monastery. But, those who are not in the best of health are also welcome, and will make their own unique contributions to the community. Being Catholic is not a requirement, but appreciation and respect for the Catholic church is. Also, a sense of humor is an absolute must. Someone who takes themselves very seriously would not be happy.

There will be no psychological testing as a requirement to enter, because I think we're all a little crazy. I know a Jesuit priest (in fact, he is the ONLY priest I know--he performed my wedding). He is both a priest and a professor of clinical psychology. I think he must be getting near retirement age, and might enjoy the "challenge" of our community. The only trouble I can forsee is that Jesuits place a high value on living in community, so he might not join us unless there is a Jesuit community within a reasonable distance. But, since this is an imaginary community anyway, we can locate it where there is both a Jesuit community and an Anglo-Catholic congregation for me, nearby, as well as some type of active apostolate for those Sisters who are called to that. The horarium will be basically traditional, but with some flexibility built in for those who need it for health and other reasons.

So, welcome. Start thinking about what religious name you want. I am officially Sister Mary Polycarp of the Late Rising, but Sister P is sufficient. Since I have decided to be Sister Polycarp, the name Sister Rosary Bede is now available. I'm not positive, but I think Sister Mary Christmas is probably also available, as well.

I am officially the community librarian/archivist, as well as the resident opinionated loudmouth (although I am working on humility and "offering it up"--I am more successful with the first, and a dismal failure with the second).

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Scooters for transportation is a great idea!!!! I want a vespa. Preferably pink, or maybe light blue to go with the habit.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='24 July 2010 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1280002769' post='2147534']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/doh.gif[/img] I'm mixing up my wimples and coifs [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img] St Catherine Laboures coif is something I'm sure no one in the ppc wants to spend the time or starch ironing! As for the French Lady's wimple I don't think it looks that tight but then again maybe they wear them looser now than they used to? I dunno Im easily distracted by shiny things though so spent more time looking at the pin they use to keep the veil on [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sweat.gif[/img] than the wimple which looked pretty loose to me.
[/quote]

I don't think we've made a final decision about wimples, especially if someone can find a comfortable, yet attractive one, so look around. However, I think the wimple will probably be optional.

I'm still worried that if I wore a wimple it will be covered with blueberry preserves. For me, eating is a "total body experience." I've already decided that I (and anyone else who wants to) will wear an official "refectory apron." However, it would be tough to cover a wimple with an apron. Wimples are actually quite flattering, especially on those who are old enough to start showing signs of age. However, I may have to "offer up" my vanity and not wear a wimple for practical reasons. I'm afraid I may be too old to learn how to "eat like an adult."

I still don't see a pin in the picture of the French Lady to keep her veil on--I'll have to look closer. I see the clasp to keep her cappa on, but not her veil.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='linnie' date='24 July 2010 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1280002814' post='2147535']
would you allow an older, married, mother of 4 to join? maybe, sorta part time? I'm really partial to the lavender habit I saw a nun wearing at the Vatican. or the light yellow one I saw another nun wearing in Rome. (yes, full habits with veils and everything) [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/yahoo.gif[/img]

p.s. may I suggest as a fuel effecient form of transportation..... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/biker.gif[/img] ( I can bring my red scooter)

linnie
[/quote]

Of course you're welcome to join! We have at least a few "others, so we'll find a way. How old are your children? I think we may need a rule that children are not allowed on monastery grounds, or at least, not within the monastery walls, except at set times, because of the noise. Children's noise is usually "happy noise" and a good thing. But, if you're not used to it, and like me, are very sensitive to noise in general, it can be a problem.

But, I think we could set up a community of people just outside the monastery grounds for women who don't want to or can't live within the monastery walls because of husbands, etc. Since this is an imaginary monastery, we will make sure that your husband has a job that he loves, and that pays very well so that you can spend full time with your children and the community, and also have a nice house for your family--and maybe someone to help with cleaning, cooking etc. if you want. (Our community "donor" will make sure of that.) And, I know a number of Sisters adore children, so I suspect you would have an abundance of volunteers for baby sitting (if your children are of the age that still needs babysitters). It goes without saying that there will be excellent schools for your children nearby.

I love your red scooter, but, is it loud? I had been considering electric golf carts to get around the monastery grounds--ecological and not noisy. But, I don't know if they are allowed on city streets. We will still need cars for Sisters with active apostolates and for winter. (Although I have seen electric golf carts adapted for Chicago winters, so we could still use those on monastery grounds.

I also would love to have a daffodil yellow habit, but I think we would be outvoted by the community. A white and darker blue habit (but not as dark as navy blue) seems to be the compromise we are coming up with for those Sisters who are giving up black or brown habits. Unfortunately, the color lavendar has come to be associated with the gay community--which is a shame, because lavendar is a wonderful color.

BTW--I don't think we've ever found a Web page for the nuns you saw in the yellow habits. Do you have any way of identifying who they are?

Welcome!