An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ppc

JTheresa

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='lookingforfaith' date='03 August 2010 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1280886975' post='2151801']
I have picked a name already. Francis Marie. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] I have had that name in my head for awhile. Unless it has to be a clever/funny one...
[/quote]

Nope, I'm probably the only one who has a clever/funny name. Most people picked serious names.

Since I know I am not destined for the religious life, I've never thought about a serious name, and had more fun with silly ones.

My name (Sister Polycarp of the Late Rising) means, "She's a strange fish (or alternatively, a rare and beautiful fish. One type of carp is the Japanese koi fish) with a sleep disorder." Rising very early is optional in the PPC, although even I will try to get up for Mass. But, don't expect to see me at 5 am--even if I wanted to, it's just not physically possible.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

lookingforfaith

I like that too IgnatiusofLoyola!

I must admit, if I am destined for religious life, God will have to get used to me grumbling to him so very early in the morning!

[quote name='lookingforfaith' date='03 August 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1280886129' post='2151782']
May I enter the community? :)
[/quote]
I thought you'd never ask.

:welcome:

My name is Sister Lucy of the Infant Lord (and no I don't have "less serious" name. Although if I did, it would probably be Sister Potty Mouth of the Internet and Music Addictions, PPC) <-- but I say that in totaly jest, only taking that name to remind me of what I really need to work on. :sweat: But until I come up with a funny name that is not shameful for a Sister, I'll just go by Sister Lucy. :)
Anyways, you will most likely find me in a tree. With a book. Laughing and squealing and singing in thier own times, depending on the book that I am reading. Or, I will be in some remote part of the convent, in some secluded corner, playing piano and singing where no one can hear me. :paperbag:

[quote name='JTheresa' date='04 August 2010 - 01:47 AM' timestamp='1280904459' post='2151936']

My name is Sister Lucy of the Infant Lord (and no I don't have "less serious" name. Although if I did, it would probably be [b]Sister Potty Mouth of the Internet and Music Addictions[/b], PPC) <-- but I say that in totaly jest, only taking that name to remind me of what I really need to work on. :sweat:
[/quote]

Heh ya that could be me too. :sweat:

she_who_is_not

May I please join the PPC? I'm mostly Benedictine with a splash of Dominican and a lot of love for Franciscan poverty. So I'd like to wear a Cistercian habit with a black scapular and a blue veil for Our Lady. I would also like to be discalced.

Since I'm mostly Benedictine, I'll put myself in charge of the guest house. I have lovely ideas for it.
The guest house will have a perpetual adoration chapel attached so guests can pop in to visit with Jesus at night. The other sisters would help me keep the hours when we guests are scarce. The house will be dedicated to the Holy Family and the pictures and statues will be simple and reflective of the Holy Family's life in Nazareth. The Chapel will be dedicated to the joyful mysteries of the Rosary. There will be a well appointed library with comfy armchairs, long refectory style tables and good reading lamps.

The guest rooms will have comfortable beds, a nice armchair, prie-dieu, and semi-private bath. There will be silence for part of the day, but in the evenings we will all gather for holy conversation and activities. We will have a piano and stereo in the large parlor for musical evenings. There will also be several small parlors for small group and one on one conversation. All the parlors will look like a Victorian historic house museum. Guests can largely do as they please but should expect to contribute one hour to manual labor and attend conferences given by amazing priests.

The food will be outstanding! Simple, home-grown, vegetarian meals prepared with love by myself and a helper or two. We will become famous for our bread and other baked goods and the print shop sisters will help me publish a cookbook. The house will also be cheerful and welcoming. People will come from all over the world to visit.

For names I like Sr. Anne Chovie of the 5,000 fed or Sr. Mary Martha Stewart of the Immaculate Dwelling. I'm not as keen on the Martha Stewart one; it feels a bit blasphemous.

[quote name='she_who_is_not' date='04 August 2010 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1280932546' post='2151992']
May I please join the PPC? I'm mostly Benedictine with a splash of Dominican and a lot of love for Franciscan poverty. So I'd like to wear a Cistercian habit with a black scapular and a blue veil for Our Lady. I would also like to be discalced.

Since I'm mostly Benedictine, I'll put myself in charge of the guest house. I have lovely ideas for it.
The guest house will have a perpetual adoration chapel attached so guests can pop in to visit with Jesus at night. The other sisters would help me keep the hours when we guests are scarce. The house will be dedicated to the Holy Family and the pictures and statues will be simple and reflective of the Holy Family's life in Nazareth. The Chapel will be dedicated to the joyful mysteries of the Rosary. There will be a well appointed library with comfy armchairs, long refectory style tables and good reading lamps.

The guest rooms will have comfortable beds, a nice armchair, prie-dieu, and semi-private bath. There will be silence for part of the day, but in the evenings we will all gather for holy conversation and activities. We will have a piano and stereo in the large parlor for musical evenings. There will also be several small parlors for small group and one on one conversation. All the parlors will look like a Victorian historic house museum. Guests can largely do as they please but should expect to contribute one hour to manual labor and attend conferences given by amazing priests.

The food will be outstanding! Simple, home-grown, vegetarian meals prepared with love by myself and a helper or two. We will become famous for our bread and other baked goods and the print shop sisters will help me publish a cookbook. The house will also be cheerful and welcoming. People will come from all over the world to visit.

For names I like Sr. Anne Chovie of the 5,000 fed or Sr. Mary Martha Stewart of the Immaculate Dwelling. I'm not as keen on the Martha Stewart one; it feels a bit blasphemous.
[/quote]

We have had many discussions about this.

There was a general consensus around blue habits with pins identifying different charisms.

Discalced is just fine. Sans socks, preferably. When it is chilly then socks are acceptable but they should not under any circumstances be white socks.

When it is cold or muddy then shoes or boots are acceptable. Teresa lived in Spain and Clare lived in Italy. If we were in, say, Wisconsin then sometimes sandals Will Not Do.

lookingforfaith

[quote name='JTheresa' date='04 August 2010 - 02:47 AM' timestamp='1280904459' post='2151936']
I thought you'd never ask.

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/welcome.gif[/img]

My name is Sister Lucy of the Infant Lord (and no I don't have "less serious" name. Although if I did, it would probably be Sister Potty Mouth of the Internet and Music Addictions, PPC) <-- but I say that in totaly jest, only taking that name to remind me of what I really need to work on. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sweat.gif[/img] But until I come up with a funny name that is not shameful for a Sister, I'll just go by Sister Lucy. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
Anyways, you will most likely find me in a tree. With a book. Laughing and squealing and singing in thier own times, depending on the book that I am reading. Or, I will be in some remote part of the convent, in some secluded corner, playing piano and singing where no one can hear me. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/paperbag.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I remember when I was on a retreat once there was this one tree in the yard that I loved. I climbed into it and sat in the branches and hung out in there in my free time. One of the youth leaders came by and was like "I gotta take your picture! It looks like you're snuggled in the hand of God!!" I love climbing trees, but I'm not good at getting down. So I'm usually under the tree with a book! hehehe!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='she_who_is_not' date='04 August 2010 - 09:35 AM' timestamp='1280932546' post='2151992']

[/quote]

I love your guesthouse ideas. As far as I remember, we had planned on a guest house, but had not come up with details for it. It sounds wonderful--when can I come? Oh wait, I'm a member of the community. LOL

Dedicating the guest house to the Holy Family sounds wonderful. The main chapel is dedicated to St. Joseph, so that fits perfectly. (We also have small chapels dedicated to Our Lady of Angels, and a Chapel of the Crucifixion (that I kiddingly call the "bloody" chapel. I have a "thing" about blood, so the nuns/Sisters will kindly put all their favorite crucifixion paintings and statues in that chapel (or their own cells) to be kind to me. But, it will have special prominence on Good Friday). We don't have a Rosary chapel (although the "Mary" chapel may be intended to serve that purpose) or a perpetual adoration chapel. However, I was thinking we would have Perpetual Adoration in the main chapel, but that guests would be welcome there.

The reason for this is that some Sisters will probably choose to be cloistered, so will not come out to the guest house, yet they will be probably among those who will most want to to have Perpetual Adoration. There is no particular reason the guest house chapel couldn't be a Rosary chapel (since, as you'll see below, I see the community "Mary" chapel being part of the cloistered grounds) but a chapel with the same theme as the guest house, namely the Holy Family, would be good, too. (Most things are not finalized yet, anyway.)

As I see it, the main chapel will be open to the public, with the cloistered (and probably many/most of the non-cloistered Sisters) in a private separate chapel attached to the main chapel. (We have yet to work out the floor plan of the main chapel, but you get the idea.) The main chapel will be attached to the main monastery, which will be surrounded by cloistered monastery grounds, with the monastery and cloistered grounds open only to members of the community, priests, workmen, etc. We will have to decide if guests are ever allowed on the cloistered part of the monastery grounds. We will have a few hermitages on the cloistered grounds (we have one beloved hermit already), and may have other hermitages as well. I see the smaller chapels as being in the cloistered part of the grounds. The small chapels will probably also be in the cloistered part of the grounds.

Then, beyond the cloistered walls, I see a "second layer" of grounds, open to guests, non-cloistered members of the community, and perhaps members of the public at certain times. We haven't talked much about this. I see the guest house in the "second layer," so that guests have access to beautiful monastery grounds, but not necessarily the cloister and its grounds. However, the monastery itself would have visiting parlors so guests could meet with cloistered sisters.

In the second layer we could include rosary walks, outside stations of the cross, perhaps a grotto to the Virgin Mary, and perhaps another small chapel. So, guests could have a private, quiet beautiful area to walk, or just sit and pray or meditate. I visualize a third layer of open grounds outside the "second layer" that could be open to the public, at least during the day, so that the "second layer" would still be protected from outside noises. (But, when open to the public, the "third layer" would have strict rules about no noise, no yelling, no boomboxes, no big groups, etc.)

I'm so glad you can cook! The community still doesn't have a Sister Cook, but you might prefer to only be cook for the guesthouse. There are lots of members of the community we still need, that we will probably have to "create"--and Sister Cook is one of them.

Two things we've decided that are different from what you described, but I hope you find acceptable. Some sisters in the community prefer charisms that are vegetarian, others do not. So, we decided (I THINK someone said St. Benedict suggested this--I may be confused) that every meal will offer two options for the entree--one vegetarian and and one non-vegetarian option, and each Sister could choose. choose. Personally, I would prefer this for the guesthouse, too, because many people who are not used to a vegetarian diet are not comfortable with it, so giving guests a choice seems hospitable. However, in the guesthouse, this could mostly be fish, and if you did not feel comfortable cooking non-vegetarian entrees, Sister Cook could send them over from the monastery. But, having fresh, homegrown foods, and fresh-baked bread sounds heavenly! Perhaps you could even bake bread for the community. We're not that large--yet!

The other difference, which I hope you could feel comfortable with (but we are always open to compromise) is the habit. Krissylou doesn't have it quite right. The habit would be mostly white, with a blue scapular, but otherwise white. (We don't want to look too much like the Sisters of Life.) The blue would be halfway between navy and royal blue--so not bright blue, but not dark navy either. Don't Cistercians wear white habits? Mostly we've been leaning toward variations of the Dominican habit, but I don't know that a Cistercian habit (or something similar to a Cistercian habit) couldn't be worked out. The veils would be simple. So far, we're leaning toward no wimple unless there is a lot of interest in wimples--and that might only be for the cloistered nuns. The veil would be a little unusual, however, in that it would be white, to express being a "perpetual novice"--always learning. However, professed sisters would have a band of PPC blue around the edge of the veil near their face. (If you can't picture this, we have some pictures that are close to what we are thinking of.) Black or "PPC Blue" cappas for chapel, wedding rings for fully professed. I know this isn't exactly what you described, but it is mostly white and blue (except that the veil wouldn't be totally blue--I hope you can picture the veil I'm describing, it would be lovely.) Wedding dresses at clothing. Each Sister would also wear a pin that expressed her primary charism. (Some of us haven't decided. LOL We may have to allow multiple pins!) Definitely discalced, except in the winter cold. Sister Infirmarian (also to be "created" has a "thing" about frostbite! There is a limit to useful penances for the Lord. (Heck, having me around will provide most of the penance the community needs. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img] )

No need to have a "fun" name if you don't want one. Many sisters have both--a "real" name that they would use, and a "fun" one when they are being silly or we are teasing them. You could turn the Martha Stewart name into a serious one by being "Mary Martha Steward" (All our names start with Mary --or have some variations of Mary in the name) anyway. But the two names reflect the balance between work and prayer/adoration. The "steward" fits with the guest house and also reflects the good steward in one of Jesus' parables. I don't think he ever had a name, but I'm not sure that matters since you already would have Mary and Martha. But, Sister Anne Chovie sounds lovely and unique, too.

Just a thought--Personally, I'd suggest private baths in the guesthouse, because many people (particularly those who own their own homes) no longer feel comfortable sharing a bath with a stranger--again, being a thoughtful hostess--we want them to feel "at home" and totally comfortable. That way, also, if we decided to have "couples" retreats, or retreats where couples were welcome, we could better accomodate them. If we want to have both men and women at retreats, we could design the guest house so that, the entrance to one set of rooms was at one end of the guesthouse, and the entrance to the other set of rooms was at the other end. That way, we could have both single-sex conferences, or both men and women, or couples--whatever seemed appropriate.

Your library sounds good--plenty of squishy chairs. I (and my assistants) can help with the choice of books (well, we will whether we are asked to or not). LOL Librarians (me) are very opinionated about book collections.

By the way, I have singlehandedly decided that the Monastery name will be "Our Lady of Peace,"--peace in the word, inner peace, and the peace of a community where women of different charisms can live together, united by Christ.

See what you think. We're open to new ideas--and lots of things haven't been finalized.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Hilde' date='04 August 2010 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1280953662' post='2152167']
I want to wear shoes.
[/quote]

Although I suspect most of us willl wear sandals (at least inside) you are free to wear shoes, as long as they are unobtrusive, and preferably black (unless you are a nurse). Socks/tights should be black or grey. White socks with black shoes are forbidden under the Constitution of the Order. The shoes should be plain, with little or no heel. No pumps. No rhinestones or stiletto heels. (Sorry--I know that's what you really wanted.) Sneakers may be worn outside, but not inside. Ideally, the shoes will be some variation on lace-up shoes (or something equally "Sister-like") and not make noise on wood or stone floors when you walk. Clogs are acceptable, as long as they have rubber soles so they don't clack.

Sound okay?

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='lookingforfaith' date='04 August 2010 - 03:45 PM' timestamp='1280954759' post='2152183']
I'm just glad the habits aren't white...I spill stuff on myself way too much. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Uh, the habits ARE white with a medium/darkish blue (PPC blue) scapular. If the whole habit was dark blue it would make me depressed so I nixed them. We are supposed to be cheerful saints, not dour saints (well, at least those who are saints, which definitely won't include moi.) If I had MY way, the habits would be light yellow, or light blue, or pink, so PPC blue scapulars is a big compromise for me.

However, some Sisters (definitely including myself!) may choose to wear a "refectory apron" in PPC blue, that we will hang on hooks outside the refectory. It will be no small apron, but similar in style to the work aprons of the Summit, NJ nuns. Sisters who wish may wear a habit without the ND short white cape--or perhaps even remove the cape during meals--We can make sure it is easily removed without causing an occasion of scandal. (The short cape can't be blue or we would look like the Sisters of Life.) Sleeves may be rolled up to keep them out of the spaghetti sauce. Every Sister will keep a Tide stain pen in one of her pockets. Sloppy Sisters (like me) have the option of washing our habit (and/or our cape) more than once a week, as long as we do it ourselves.

Can you live with that?

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='04 August 2010 - 11:48 PM' timestamp='1280954921' post='2152185']
Although I suspect most of us willl wear sandals (at least inside) you are free to wear shoes, as long as they are unobtrusive, and preferably black (unless you are a nurse). Socks should be black or grey. White socks with black shoes are forbidden under the Constitution of the Order. The shoes should be plain, with little or no heel. No pumps. No rhinestones or stiletto heels. (Sorry--I know that's what you really wanted.) Sneakers may be worn outside, but not inside. Ideally, the shoes will be some variation on lace-up shoes (or something equally "Sister-like") and not make noise on wood or stone floors when you walk. Clogs are acceptable, as long as they have rubber soles so they don't clack.

Sound okay?
[/quote]
Yeah I was thinking something like this
[img]http://www.clarksshoessize.com/images/Mens%20Clarks%20shoes/Clarks%20Un.penny%20black%20leather%20shoes.jpg[/img]

A variation of it, and I was never planning on wearin white shocks in them. :mellow:

lookingforfaith

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='04 August 2010 - 05:00 PM' timestamp='1280955635' post='2152201']
Uh, the habits ARE white with a medium/darkish blue (PPC blue) scapular. If the whole habit was dark blue it would make me depressed so I nixed them. We are supposed to be cheerful saints, not dour saints (well, at least those who are saints, which definitely won't include moi.) If I had MY way, the habits would be light yellow, or light blue, or pink, so PPC blue scapulars is a big compromise for me.

However, some Sisters (definitely including myself!) may choose to wear a "refectory apron" in PPC blue, that we will hang on hooks outside the refectory. It will be no small apron, but similar in style to the work aprons of the Summit, NJ nuns. Sisters who wish may wear a habit without the ND short white cape--or perhaps even remove the cape during meals--We can make sure it is easily removed without causing an occasion of scandal. (The short cape can't be blue or we would look like the Sisters of Life.) Sleeves may be rolled up to keep them out of the spaghetti sauce. Every Sister will keep a Tide stain pen in one of her pockets. Sloppy Sisters (like me) have the option of washing our habit (and/or our cape) more than once a week, as long as we do it ourselves.

Can you live with that?
[/quote]

Oh I'm sorry, I misread that. I didn't sleep much at all last night and am very tired today... :yawn: As long as I have that tide pen I'll be good. :)