An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ppc

JTheresa

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1284735748' post='2174072']
No ma'am! errr... mum :|
:woot: :woot: :woot: I looooooooove St Ignatius !!
[/quote]

Hmm, I may have to tell Sister Cook that your doctor has ordered that you eat a large daily portion of liver meatloaf. If you are determined to be a Carmelite, you may as well start practicing mortification of the senses. You'll notice that I did not require that a picture of HER be glued to your wall. I may be strict, but I am not cruel. Plus, we have a whole chapel for that sort of thing.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284733107' post='2174064']
You are VERY welcome to join us! (BTW--I'm not Mother Iggy--I'm going to stay Sister Iggy, (or, more formally, Sister Rosary Bede of the Late Rising) whether I am Prioress or not. I THINK some Superiors do not use the title "Mother." If I'm wrong--please correct me. And, since my "election" was illegal and nonbinding, I'm not sure if I'm the Prioress, anyway. But, Prioress or not, welcome!

Random Note: "Sister Rosary Bede" started out as a joke name, but also showed my respect for the Venerable Bede, who has always been one of my favorite saints. But, ironically, I spent my summer buying Rosary beads for L-C to use to make Rosaries. I don't make Rosaries myself--just buy the beads, centers, crucifixes, medals, etc for L-C. So, the name "Sister Rosary Bede" has proved surprisingly prophetic.

What would you like to do in the community? And, is there anything special you would LOVE to have in a community--virtually all the time we've been able to accomodate reasonable requests (and, some unreasonable ones. LOL).

And, what name would you like? Some people have picked out "fun names," others serious names, and some have both.
[/quote]

I was thinking about this connection, too, with Our Lady of Peace and Our Lady of the Rosary.. and then how I'm entering on the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary. :smile3: I can't remember completely, but for some reason I'm thinking that when Mary appeared to the Fatima children, didn't she say, "I am the Lady of the Rosary"? Aaaand isn't the advocation of Our Lady of Peace taken from the Fatima apparitions? After all, didn't the angel that appeared call himself, "The Angel of Peace"? :think2:

Immaculate Heart of Mary, Cause of Our Joy -- pray for us!!! :love:

:clapping:

Maybe I'm connecting dots where I shouldn't be, buuuut... it all seems awesomely legit, in my humble opinion. :nun: :hehe:

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284734976' post='2174069']
Did you just call me a mother? :joecool:

You Carmelites are so stubborn!!! [b]Someone will be coming to your cell while you are chanting the LOTH to glue yet another picture of St Thomas Aquinas to your wall--or maybe St. Ignatius of Loyola for a change--assuming there is any free wall space left.[/b] (Although there are no female Jesuits, in my role as "Other" in the list of charisms, I may designate myself the community's representative of Ignatian spirituality--not that I know very much about it--yet.)
[/quote]

[img]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/excellent-frog.jpg[/img]

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284736297' post='2174074']
Hmm, I may have to tell Sister Cook that your doctor has ordered that you eat a large daily portion of liver meatloaf. If you are determined to be a Carmelite, you may as well start practicing mortification of the senses. You'll notice that I did not require that a picture of HER be glued to your wall. I may be strict, but I am not cruel. Plus, we have a whole chapel for that sort of thing.
[/quote]

:lol4: Muuuuwaaahahahahahhahaaha!!!

she_who_is_not

As guest mistress, I am formally requesting permission to have a cat (or two) in the retreat house. We can take cat name suggestions too. :kitten: :kitten:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1284738332' post='2174083']
As guest mistress, I am formally requesting permission to have a cat (or two) in the retreat house. We can take cat name suggestions too. :kitten: :kitten:
[/quote]

Will they be twin cats? If so, can we name them Benedict and Scholastica?? :w00t:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1284738332' post='2174083']
[/quote]

As a cat lover, I heartily agree to your request for a pair of cats in the retreat house. (Most domestic cats are happier if they have a companion.) Having resident cats as "hosts" would make the guest house feel like a "home."

I plan to bring my own cats to the monastery, because they both have chronic immune system problems and require special medicine and diet, and I have made a vow to them that I will take care of them as long as they live. However, due to allergies (theirs) and the long Chicago winters, they are both "fully cloistered" indoor cats--and quite content with that. They love to look out the window, but show no desire to go outsie.

If my cats cause allergy problems if I live in a cell in the community, I will gladly live in a hermitage--and might want to do so anyway, except perhaps in the dead of winter. My cats would remain within the enclosure, so would have no contact with the guest house cats. I WILL have to request a slightly larger bed for my cell/hermitage. Not for human guests--obviously! But, both my cats always sleep with me--in fact my female likes to sleep right next to my head. For health reasons, I have already asked for my own bathroom. (I can get dizzy at night and worry about walking down a long, dark hall), so my cats' litter box could be in my bathroom, and I would take full responsibility for keeping it clean and odor-free.

My only concern is about guest house cats is that some people are VERY allergic to cats, so I suggest a non-allergic breed--we want all our guests to be comfortable. My female cat is a Devon Rex, which is a breed that most people are not allergic to. Most Devon Rex cats are very friendly and outgoing, and would make excellent guest house cats. They would probably need to be indoor cats, because their fur is very short (and dander free), but is soft as a rabbit. We could design a screened-in porch so that the cats would be "cloistered" but also be able to enjoy the sights and smells of the outside. (And the cats would probably be willing to share THEIR screened-in porch with the guests.) Devons have been bred as indoor cats for generations, so my female shows no desire whatsoever to go outside. Devons look odd to some people, sort of a combination of Yoda and a lemur, but they have a wonderful temperament and train very easily.

Another possibility would be "barn cats" that never go inside, and have a special heated enclosure for winter. However, I must have a little Franciscan in me, because I also love to feed birds, and small animals such as chipmunks. I would feel bad feeding birds if there were also outdoor cats--it would be sort of like providing the cats an endless dinner table--cats hunt by instinct, even if they are well fed. I have no outdoor cats in my neighborhood, so I can feed the birds guilt-free.

Here are a few links pictures of Devons, in case you've never seen them. Some are bred to look stranger than others. They have been interbred with other types of cats, so their coats are every color imaginable. (My female is black.)

[url="http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/878/5006649.JPG"]http://www.dkimages....878/5006649.JPG[/url]

[url="http://www.ardeaprints.com/image/devon-rex-cat_644921.jpg"]http://www.ardeaprin...-cat_644921.jpg[/url]

[url="http://www.felines4us.com/Members/368/A2008915101238.jpg"]http://www.felines4u...08915101238.jpg[/url]

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1284741019' post='2174094']
Will they be twin cats? If so, can we name them Benedict and Scholastica?? :w00t:
[/quote]

LOL I think those are wonderful names for a Benedictine-style guest house!!!. Having littermates is usually a good thing, because they already know each other, and would feel more comfortable at first, and littermates tend to have fewer "dominance" issues in the long run. However, although they are littermates, they might not look alike. It's not unusual in all breeds of cats that littermates look completely different, even if you know they had the same father.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284734976' post='2174069']
Did you just call me a mother? :joecool:

You Carmelites are so stubborn!!! Someone will be coming to your cell while you are chanting the LOTH to glue yet another picture of St Thomas Aquinas to your wall--or maybe St. Ignatius of Loyola for a change--assuming there is any free wall space left. (Although there are no female Jesuits, in my role as "Other" in the list of charisms, I may designate myself the community's representative of Ignatian spirituality--not that I know very much about it--yet.)
[/quote]

Laughing... You have to be scrappy to be a Carmelite!:fight::hardhead:
:crusader:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284736297' post='2174074']

You Carmelites are so stubborn!!! Someone will be coming to your cell while you are chanting the LOTH to glue yet another picture of St Thomas Aquinas to your wall--or maybe St. Ignatius of Loyola for a change--assuming there is any free wall space left. (Although there are no female Jesuits, in my role as "Other" in the list of charisms, I may designate myself the community's representative of Ignatian spirituality--not that I know very much about it--yet.)

[/quote]

Iggy - has the power gone to your head - now you are torturing the Carmelites by making them eat meat! :shock: No discrimination of Orders, right?

As for the photos of Aquinas and Ignatius - love them both!! But they don't belong in a Carmelites cell - only three pictures allowed, and of course we already have OHM and a crucifixion scene and maybe one saint-of-choice... so, sorry, no room for anyone else! :whistle:

Now be a kind and loving Reverend Mother or you just might not get re-elected! And then when you are a humble sister again, who knows what the new Prioress may think up for you as penance, especially if she is a Carmelite! :dance: :lol4:

Whoda thunk that Iggy would go all power-mad on us??? :huh: :(

she_who_is_not

I love the Devon Rexes! Hurray! We now have two tiny kittens in the guest house. Benedict is black and Scholastica is orange and white striped. Like this :kitten:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1284770022' post='2174170']
Iggy - has the power gone to your head - now you are torturing the Carmelites by making them eat meat! :shock: No discrimination of Orders, right?

As for the photos of Aquinas and Ignatius - love them both!! But they don't belong in a Carmelites cell - only three pictures allowed, and of course we already have OHM and a crucifixion scene and maybe one saint-of-choice... so, sorry, no room for anyone else! :whistle:

Now be a kind and loving Reverend Mother or you just might not get re-elected! And then when you are a humble sister again, who knows what the new Prioress may think up for you as penance, especially if she is a Carmelite! :dance: :lol4:

Whoda thunk that Iggy would go all power-mad on us??? :huh: :(
[/quote]

I wasn't being power-mad with the liver meatloaf--I truly forgot about Carmelites being vegetarians, although I knew that. We'll find some other mortification for Vee8. Just having me around may be sufficient.

As for the power having gone to my head--it's been that way all along, even before I had any power to go to my head. Bwwwaaaa!

This is not a Carmelite community. It is your typical Benedictine/Carmelite/Dominican/Franciscan/Other Community, comprised of cloistered/semi-cloistered/active Sisters and Nuns, with some hermits and married women thrown in for good measure. (Married women will be full members, but will live with their husbands in homes outside the enclosure.) Just your usual sort of thing. All charisms will be honored equally--no one gets a community that is "purely" her favored charism. Everyone will have to make compromises. I have agreed to pictures of HER in the chapel, and at least one Carmelite statue in the garden (I forget which one). However, since JT won't be around for awhile, I may change my mind, and take suggestions for a statue of some other female saint--perhaps St. Clare. Will that satisfy you Nunsense? Also, I believe we have a Mary chapel with numerous pictures and statues of Carmelite saints, among others. And, as for my discriminating against any sprituality, I personally removed all the statues of St. Thomas Aquinas from the library (well, except for maybe one small one) so there would actually be room for books--the Dominicans were running amok for awhile! SOMEONE has to keep balance in the Community!

What a power-hungry, scrappy bunch you Carmelites are! Good thing we love you! :angel:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284784430' post='2174217']
I wasn't being power-mad with the liver meatloaf--I truly forgot about Carmelites being vegetarians, although I knew that. We'll find some other mortification for Vee8. Just having me around may be sufficient.

As for the power having gone to my head--it's been that way all along, even before I had any power to go to my head. Bwwwaaaa!

This is not a Carmelite community. It is your typical Benedictine/Carmelite/Dominican/Franciscan/Other Community, comprised of cloistered/semi-cloistered/active Sisters and Nuns, with some hermits and married women thrown in for good measure. (Married women will be full members, but will live with their husbands in homes outside the enclosure.) Just your usual sort of thing. All charisms will be honored equally--no one gets a community that is "purely" her favored charism. Everyone will have to make compromises. I have agreed to pictures of HER in the chapel, and at least one Carmelite statue in the garden (I forget which one). However, since JT won't be around for awhile, I may change my mind, and take suggestions for a statue of some other female saint--perhaps St. Clare. Will that satisfy you Nunsense? Also, I believe we have a Mary chapel with numerous pictures and statues of Carmelite saints, among others. And, as for my discriminating against any sprituality, I personally removed all the statues of St. Thomas Aquinas from the library (well, except for maybe one small one) so there would actually be room for books--the Dominicans were running amok for awhile! SOMEONE has to keep balance in the Community!

What a power-hungry, scrappy bunch you Carmelites are! Good thing we love you! :angel:
[/quote]

Our Reverend Mother appears not to have gotten enough sleep!

I don't know how wanting to keep a 'Carmelite cell' is power hungry or scrappy. :idontknow:

I was merely protesting the use of food as a punishment, and pointing out that the Carmelite charism doesn't have an excess of pictures on the cell walls.

JTheresa said that we could all live together here in harmony, so I put in my two cents but seem to have been shot down in flames for it.:tomato:

I love all the plans for statues and pictures everywhere, but for a Carmelite, the cell is a very private place, and in fact, it is against the Constitutions for another sister to even set foot in someone else's cell, let alone change the pictures on the wall! :nono: I just assumed that this privacy would also be guaranteed in the PPC since accommodations are being made for so many other things and other charisms.

Anyway, I guess I don't know how to play this game very well, and perhaps the joking level is above my head, so I think I will bow out of the PPC and focus on my entrance to Carmel instead. Maybe I am just not understanding what you say and before anyone gets too upset, I will sign off this thread. :blowkiss:

Edited by nunsense

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1284785165' post='2174218']
Our Reverend Mother appears not to have gotten enough sleep!

I don't know how wanting to keep a 'Carmelite cell' is power hungry or scrappy. :idontknow:

I was merely protesting the use of food as a punishment, and pointing out that the Carmelite charism doesn't have an excess of pictures on the cell walls.

JTheresa said that we could all live together here in harmony, so I put in my two cents but seem to have been shot down in flames for it.:tomato:

I love all the plans for statues and pictures everywhere, but for a Carmelite, the cell is a very private place, and in fact, it is against the Constitutions for another sister to even set foot in someone else's cell, let alone change the pictures on the wall! :nono: I just assumed that this privacy would also be guaranteed in the PPC since accommodations are being made for so many other things and other charisms.

Anyway, I guess I don't know how to play this game very well, and perhaps the joking level is above my head, so I think I will bow out of the PPC and focus on my entrance to Carmel instead. Maybe I am just not understanding what you say and before anyone gets too upset, I will sign off this thread. :blowkiss:
[/quote]

Nunsense--Obviously, I inadvertently hurt your feelings, and I'm truly sorry.

Some of the jokes in this thread date back to when you were away on your live-in, or have been made on other threads, so you may not have realized they were longstanding jokes.

The jokes with vee8 about the liver meatloaf and putting pictures on cell walls are longstanding jokes. And, people have joked with me about putting pictures of St. Therese everywhere. In this thread, I have joked about doing things I would NEVER EVER do in real life--including put pictures in people's cells or use food as a punishment. It's similar to jokes in other threads in this phorum where people kiddingly give each other long religious names that include saints that the other person is not fond of.

I have always assumed that a Sister's cell was totally private--despite our jokes. The truth is, beyond saying that there will be cells, we have never discussed rules regarding cells, including how many pictures each cell might have, etc. Personally, beyond knowing that a Sister's cell was private, I do not know any specifics about the cells of any Order, although I assumed they probably differed somewhat. Hence our discussion the other day in another thread about the prie dieu in the cell of one of the pictures posted. I have never been told, nor had any reason for anyone to tell me, what the cell of a Carmelite was like--or the cell of a member of any other Order, particularly a cloistered Community.

We have never discussed whether Sisters/nuns of the same charism would live together in a certain part of the monastery. Many posters have interests in multiple charisms, although they were discerning, and have now entered, or are planning to enter a certain Order.

In a sense, the PPC was sort of a living embodiment of Vocation Station. Here on VS, posters represent many different charisms, yet we all support each other, and are able to talk with each other in peace.

In hindsight, I should never have made my post about being Prioress, because I never meant it to be taken seriously. (Obviously my "election" wasn't serious.) The PPC is better with someone in charge who exists only in our imagination.

When I used the phrase "power-hungry and scrappy" I was kiddingly repeating things that had already been said. Indwelling Trinity had said a post or two back that one had to be scrappy to be a Carmelite--and I thought that was wonderful! When I went to bed, I thought "power-hungry" might have been the wrong word, but since this is a phorum, I decided that my tendency to always want to use exactly the right word was being too exacting.

For example, you could easily have retorted that if you find new pictures in your cell, you will call my cats John (for St. John of the Cross) and "Little Flower," whatever my cats' real names are.

It's all been in fun, and I truly apologize that I inadvertently stepped over lines that I should not have stepped over. And, my forgetting about Carmelites being vegetarian truly was a slip. Remember that it is only VERY recently that Vee8 has applied to a Carmel for a live-in. Our jokes about liver mealoaf have been going on for months--L-C is actually entering the Community where she was served liver meatloaf--Dominicans are very brave women!

I know you take religious life very seriously, something for which I respect you very much. So, if we or more specifically, I, have been overly irreverent in this thead, I sincerely apologize. And, as always with me, remember I am truly ignorant, so I can and do make unintentional mistakes from lack of knowledge.

Whether you decide to post in this thread or not (I hope you do), there will always be Carmelite cell here that is yours and yours alone, and that no one else will enter, you will have vegetarian meals, and all your needs will always be respected. However, with me, at least, you will have to explicitly tell me what those needs are, because, I have almost no knowledge about what the life of a Carmelite is like. I have only been on Phatmass 6 months and have never visited a Carmelite monastery--or any monastery, for that matter. Anything you would like to tell me, I would love to hear.

I hereby resign as the informal and illegal Prioress, so that I will never again unintentionally and accidentally say or do anything that makes any of my VS or PPC sisters feel insulted, not wanted, or not totally loved.

I remain, Sister Rosary Bede of the Late Rising

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284832722' post='2174286']
Nunsense--Obviously, I inadvertently hurt your feelings, and I'm truly sorry.

Some of the jokes in this thread date back to when you were away on your live-in, or have been made on other threads, so you may not have realized they were longstanding jokes.

The jokes with vee8 about the liver meatloaf and putting pictures on cell walls are longstanding jokes. And, people have joked with me about putting pictures of St. Therese everywhere. In this thread, I have joked about doing things I would NEVER EVER do in real life--including put pictures in people's cells or use food as a punishment. It's similar to jokes in other threads in this phorum where people kiddingly give each other long religious names that include saints that the other person is not fond of.

I have always assumed that a Sister's cell was totally private--despite our jokes. The truth is, beyond saying that there will be cells, we have never discussed rules regarding cells, including how many pictures each cell might have, etc. Personally, beyond knowing that a Sister's cell was private, I do not know any specifics about the cells of any Order, although I assumed they probably differed somewhat. Hence our discussion the other day in another thread about the prie dieu in the cell of one of the pictures posted. I have never been told, nor had any reason for anyone to tell me, what the cell of a Carmelite was like--or the cell of a member of any other Order, particularly a cloistered Community.

We have never discussed whether Sisters/nuns of the same charism would live together in a certain part of the monastery. Many posters have interests in multiple charisms, although they were discerning, and have now entered, or are planning to enter a certain Order.

In a sense, the PPC was sort of a living embodiment of Vocation Station. Here on VS, posters represent many different charisms, yet we all support each other, and are able to talk with each other in peace.

In hindsight, I should never have made my post about being Prioress, because I never meant it to be taken seriously. (Obviously my "election" wasn't serious.) The PPC is better with someone in charge who exists only in our imagination.

When I used the phrase "power-hungry and scrappy" I was kiddingly repeating things that had already been said. Indwelling Trinity had said a post or two back that one had to be scrappy to be a Carmelite--and I thought that was wonderful! When I went to bed, I thought "power-hungry" might have been the wrong word, but since this is a phorum, I decided that my tendency to always want to use exactly the right word was being too exacting.

For example, you could easily have retorted that if you find new pictures in your cell, you will call my cats John (for St. John of the Cross) and "Little Flower," whatever my cats' real names are.

It's all been in fun, and I truly apologize that I inadvertently stepped over lines that I should not have stepped over. And, my forgetting about Carmelites being vegetarian truly was a slip. Remember that it is only VERY recently that Vee8 has applied to a Carmel for a live-in. Our jokes about liver mealoaf have been going on for months--L-C is actually entering the Community where she was served liver meatloaf--Dominicans are very brave women!

I know you take religious life very seriously, something for which I respect you very much. So, if we or more specifically, I, have been overly irreverent in this thead, I sincerely apologize. And, as always with me, remember I am truly ignorant, so I can and do make unintentional mistakes from lack of knowledge.

Whether you decide to post in this thread or not (I hope you do), there will always be Carmelite cell here that is yours and yours alone, and that no one else will enter, you will have vegetarian meals, and all your needs will always be respected. However, with me, at least, you will have to explicitly tell me what those needs are, because, I have almost no knowledge about what the life of a Carmelite is like. I have only been on Phatmass 6 months and have never visited a Carmelite monastery--or any monastery, for that matter. Anything you would like to tell me, I would love to hear.

I hereby resign as the informal and illegal Prioress, so that I will never again unintentionally and accidentally say or do anything that makes any of my VS or PPC sisters feel insulted, not wanted, or not totally loved.

I remain, Sister Rosary Bede of the Late Rising
[/quote]

Lighten up everyone... This is a game and not real life... lets get a grip! :getaclue: :lol4:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1284874616' post='2174481']
Lighten up everyone... This is a game and not real life... lets get a grip! :getaclue: :lol4:
[/quote]

Thank-you for that very important reminder. I needed that. :notworthy2: (Although I still have a bit of a headache--your message worked. And, I'm very grateful that you did not feel the need to use your syringe to bring me back to at least partial sanity.)

The really scary thing is that I kiddingly called my female cat "Little Flower" yesterday, and the name stuck. The name fits her perfectly--far better than her current name. I'm being followed by HER!!! :help:

On the nights when the Dominicans talk Sister Cook into making her special "liver meatloaf," I will gladly join the Carmelites in their vegetarian meal. Plus, I've heard rumors that Carmelites are a lot of fun.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284911094' post='2174562']
The really scary thing is that I kiddingly called my female cat "Little Flower" yesterday, and the name stuck. The name fits her perfectly--far better than her current name. I'm being followed by HER!!! :help: [/quote]

Im... so ... sorry to hear that :| GET HER THERESE!! GET HER GOOD!! :clap3: :clapping: :cheer: :evil:

[quote] Plus, I've heard rumors that Carmelites are a lot of fun.[/quote]
LIES! All lies! Sad sacks is a more apt description. :whistle:

BTW

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Saint_Thomas_Aquinas.jpg[/img]

Edited to add the first and foremost of all Carmelite sad sacks.... the saint of sadness.... the model of misery.... the fount of frowning..... TERESA OF AVILA :cheer:
[img]http://marymackillop.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Saint-Teresa-of-Avila-1515-15821.jpg[/img]

Edited by vee8

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1284916879' post='2174589']

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Saint_Thomas_Aquinas.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Holy as he was, even St. Thomas Aquinas couldn't conceal his dismay at liver meatloaf. :joecool: