An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ppc

JTheresa

Mary Veronica

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif[/img]that resolves a lot

Edited by Mary Veronica

The Whitesville Passionists have an oblate who lives with them inside the enclosure.

And Benedictine oblates can be any baptized Christian, not necessarily Catholic. So that could take care of the Protestants among us (or Orthodox if any of them wanted to join too)!

In our merry combination of charisms, I say there should be space for non-Catholic oblates to live in.

(it is a mystery to me that other secular orders do not seem to have noticed that having Kathleen Norris (Presbyterian) has worked out rather well for the Benedictines!)

And, of course, Trappist beer and chocolates!!!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Hilde' date='08 July 2010 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1278626966' post='2139482']
We should have a choir. We could sing like in sister act but also gregorian and such.
[/quote]

:yahoo:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyYNcpWhVbk[/media]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='krissylou' date='08 July 2010 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1278624668' post='2139471']
The Whitesville Passionists have an oblate who lives with them inside the enclosure.

And Benedictine oblates can be any baptized Christian, not necessarily Catholic. So that could take care of the Protestants among us (or Orthodox if any of them wanted to join too)!

In our merry combination of charisms, I say there should be space for non-Catholic oblates to live in.

(it is a mystery to me that other secular orders do not seem to have noticed that having Kathleen Norris (Presbyterian) has worked out rather well for the Benedictines!)

And, of course, Trappist beer and chocolates!!!
[/quote]

I didn't know the Whitesville Passionists had an oblate who lives with them inside the enclosure. Do you know what she does for the community?

Actually, I'm not sure what an oblate is--and it's probably different things for different communities. I'll have to do some reading up, and if anyone could explain or point me to an explanation that would be apprecated. I'd want to feel like I "belonged," in our imaginary community, not just someone who lived with them.

But, maybe I can't have it both ways. I'm not ready to convert. If I've learned anything these past few months it's that I can't lie to myself, and I can't believe God would want that. And, I still have no clue what the future holds.

Keeps me humble, I guess. But, right now I don't feel like I belong anywhere or to anyone.......

I was having so much fun helping plan our imaginary physical community to go along with our online community. But, I guess I'm not really part of that, either........

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='08 July 2010 - 06:17 PM' timestamp='1278631030' post='2139509']

Keeps me humble, I guess. But, right now I don't feel like I belong anywhere or to anyone.......

I was having so much fun helping plan our imaginary physical community to go along with our online community. But, I guess I'm not really part of that, either........
[/quote]

:console: Having a bad day?

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='08 July 2010 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1278636404' post='2139542']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/console.gif[/img] Having a bad day?
[/quote]

I actually was having an okay day (neither bad nor good) until I read about oblates. It was suprisingly depressing. It makes sense for me to be an oblate, since there would be a number of ways I wouldn't be able to participate fully in the community, and I guess it's better than being told I could join. But until I read about that option, I was thinking I could be a real member. <sigh>

Odd how real an imaginary community can feel real.

Plus, I wanted to be a Sister (even one with a silly name) and I have cape envy!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Mary Veronica

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='08 July 2010 - 10:55 PM' timestamp='1278638721' post='2139547']
I actually was having an okay day (neither bad nor good) until I read about oblates. It was suprisingly depressing. It makes sense for me to be an oblate, since there would be a number of ways I wouldn't be able to participate fully in the community, and I guess it's better than being told I could join. But until I read about that option, I was thinking I could be a real member. <sigh>

Odd how real an imaginary community can feel real.

Plus, I wanted to be a Sister (even one with a silly name) and I have cape envy!
[/quote]

I of L, you're one of the kindest and most thoughtful people I've seen on here, and that's something that completely wins Our Lord. don't feel left out, we could all learn from you. If we take the time to recall, Our Lord had many times showed greater and unforgetable affection for those outside the Jewish faith and even to teach His own apostles a lesson. And these apostles were ready to follow him at every word and step, and yet they didn't "get" the faith of the centurion, or the simplicity of the children, or the joy of the woman at the well, or the gratitude of the woman who bathed his feet with tears and dried them with her hair. until his apostles learned how, that's what made them good followers. Everyone in the world has a place in His Heart, and we uplift and love eachother in ways far above the titles, habits, and institutions. Our Lord taught love above all things, each of our levels of faith and beliefs aren't meant to diminish it, but to help fulfill it.

[size="2"][size="2"]I don't know about the others, but I[/size] [/size]would like you to be a full member of the Ppc, you make everone feel included, amidst all the poking and teasing between charisms. if you can't be a real member, I want out. but I'm stealing away with my cape!

Edited by Mary Veronica

Oh dear me!

I thought I was being all clever finding a way to actually include Protestants in the community (in which I include myself, btw).

Several orders have ways for non-consecrated laypeople, who can get married and such, to nevertheless be FULL MEMBERS of the order. They go by different names -- Tertiaries, Seculars, Oblates, whatever. It's all basically the same concept.

(I think historically, monasteries have had some role called "oblate" and it's meant a lot of different things. I don't know all of that -- let's just keep to the contemporary version.)

So, these days there are about a gazillion different communities you can join if you want to be Franciscan. There used to be THREE. The Order of Friars Minor. The Poor Ladies (aka Poor Clares). And the Third Order of St. Francis, now called the Order of Secular Franciscans. These are laypeople who lived in the world, got married and such, but did so in the spirit of St. Francis -- and there's a Rule and all that.

ALL of these were equally Franciscan. Just different forms.

Catherine of Siena was a Dominican Tertiary, not a Dominican nun. Ask any Dominican nun if they consider Catherine of Siena to be "truly one of their own." The answer will be a resounding yes.

A person who is affiliated with a monastery without being a vowed religious is an oblate. I think, historically, oblates lived within the monastery but didn't take vows. But I could be wrong. Now it is much more likely that they're out and about in the world, but with a Benedictine (or whatever else) spirit and follow the Rule in ways suited to secular life.

The point is, they ARE Benedictines. Can even use letters after their name and everything, e.g. Kathleen Norris, Obl.S.B.

Or, you could be like Christie with the Whitesville Passionists and live in. Just going from their blog, her life looks dang similar to the nuns' -- except she can leave if she decides "okay that was good for a season but now time to do something else." She doesn't wear a habit but does have a "uniform" sort of dress that seems similar to the postulant's.

In our community, bring on the capes!!!

Or OOOOH, I got it. We could be Carmelite/Franciscan/Dominican/Benedictine (plus reforms thereof to bring in Trappist beer and chocolate) AND incorporate Taize (which is recognized by the Catholic Church) and be ecumenical.

Mary Veronica

[quote name='krissylou' date='08 July 2010 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1278642435' post='2139583']
In our community, bring on the capes!!!

Or OOOOH, I got it. We could be Carmelite/Franciscan/Dominican/Benedictine (plus reforms thereof to bring in Trappist beer and chocolate) AND incorporate Taize (which is recognized by the Catholic Church) and be ecumenical.
[/quote]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sadder.gif[/img] you had me on the capes...<3

[quote name='Mary Veronica' date='08 July 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1278643404' post='2139608']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sadder.gif[/img] you had me on the capes...<3
[/quote]
Is it wrong that I keep thinking of the lady from The Incredibles:

"No capes!!! Never capes!!!"

:huh:

Mary Veronica

[quote name='krissylou' date='09 July 2010 - 12:29 AM' timestamp='1278644378' post='2139624']
Is it wrong that I keep thinking of the lady from The Incredibles:

"No capes!!! Never capes!!!"

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif[/img]
[/quote]

(shuddering) UNTHINKABLE! I MUST SAY! That's MADNESS! ABSOLUTE BABBLING MADNESS! We're not going to fight crime and fly with them!....[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif[/img] don't anyone get any ideas.

yeah[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/detective.gif[/img] that was a good family movie, I like the shy gothic girl who dissappears.

I of L, I'm so sorry to hear that you feel left out!! I was totally intending on asking if anyone would care if you and some of the other leading members of VS could make up the community council. And don't forget that there are other communities of Sisters outisde of the Catholic Church. Catholic or not, our community of sister should be made up or women who are dedicated to fully giving our lives to God and serving His children. Period. You don't have to be Catholic to do that, but the Catholics were just the first ones (I think) to come up with the idea. You are a valueable member of VS and have already contributed a lot to this imaginary community. Can you imagine what state our library would be in if we didn't have your master library skills?

And so, Sister Mary Polycarp of the Late Rising, I have a very important question to ask you. With your extensive knowledge of saints, who would you recommend readin if I want to brush up on my Theology?
Love and prayers!
Sister Lucy Marie of the Infant Lord

Well Sister Mary Polycarp of the Late Rising, we seem to have consensus that the Phatmass Phemale Community is open to everybody.

Who needs my canonical creativity? Not us! :lol_roll:

I think this is grand.

(Don't tell the Vatican.)

I like communities that use their baptismal names. Is it okay if I do that?