An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Start Your Own Order...what Would It Be?

lookingforfaith

[quote name='Luigi' date='27 July 2010 - 01:21 AM' timestamp='1280204496' post='2148596']
I wouldn't bring it back since I'd be founding a men's order, but I do like the idea of annual vows. BTW, "the whatever-the-heck-that-is" that they wore was a variation on the typical head dress of Dutch women back then. If you look at painting by Vermeer and other 17th/18th century Dutch artists, the women wear stiffly starched linen in the most...I suppose the word would be [i]unique[/i]...configurations. And most habits began as the typical outfits of women in the time & place where the order was founded - with some customizing, of course.
[/quote]
Hee Hee..."the whatever-the heck-that-is" is a CORONET. I LOVE IT...if they came back, I'd ditch the Benedictines in a HEART BEAT. KIDDING. REALLY, I'm KIDDING. :)

I just read something about the Daughters of Charity - their cornette is not Dutch - it's a 17th century French sun bonnet. What happened when it rained??

Divine Mercy 9999

[quote name='ksterling' date='27 July 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1280245821' post='2148684']
I just read something about the Daughters of Charity - their cornette is not Dutch - it's a 17th century French sun bonnet. What happened when it rained??
[/quote]

I read somewhere that they went flat (for lack of a better description) when it raine or if it was very humid. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rain.gif[/img]

[quote name='ksterling' date='27 July 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1280245821' post='2148684']
[/quote]
You're probably right - I never really researched their history or anything. I do remember that Louise de Marillac was the founder, and her name is certainly French, so I guess I should have figured. But that whole starched lined trend - silly headdresses for women, silly elaborate collars for men - shows up real clearly in the Dutch art of the day. But the style was probably popular throughout a broad region.

Cornet. That's right. I remember reading it, but I would never have been able to recall it.

JMJ
Imagine the Sisters of Providence...or of charity of leavenworth....bonnet things....BUT! plastic instead of starch! and lighter[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]

[quote name='krissylou' date='26 July 2010 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1280194220' post='2148511']
Religious life (by which I don't mean specifically consecrated, vowed life, but "a life of faith") is first and last and everywhere in between, about grace. Vowed, consecrated religious life certainly should be about grace.

Is there an important role for discipline, for mortification? Absolutely. A thousand times yes.

But it's about grace. God doesn't need us to do anything. God has that under control. God wants us to live in His presence, abide in His love, and participate in His mission in the way He has designed for us. And he doesn't design for us more than we can handle. He is not that kind of a God.
Discipline is good. But it must always be understood as an avenue of grace, not a replacement so we don't need grace. And sometimes, some elements of monastic traditions have seemed to come close to forgetting that, and that is awful. That's just exactly what Jesus was confronting in the Pharisees and he doesn't think much of it.
[/quote]

I agree with you. I think many get carried away with pride and think they can force their way to Holiness and love. I know the Blessed Virgin frequently speaks in her apparitions about fasting, penance and mortifications, and I see it more important to fast and mortify the HARD way, which is fast in what you think, see, speak, listen to, modest clothing, lessen up on trying to get everything you want and getting your way, etc. Most important, I'm learning to surrender to God, let Him decide what to send my way, and try to follow grace.

I had been to a wonderful order, but it is such an intense order, and unfortunetly they lack common sense with charity. There is so much focus on penance than contemplative love, so many works. It can really play in with pride. It really caused problems with scruplulousity for me and it has taken a long time to come out of that. It's taken time, but I'm coming to better understand the right relationship with God, and loving Him, and letting HIM decide what sufferings to send me. I'm learning to come out of busily "saying" rosaries, and to meditate on Him, gaze on His love and mercy, to live more from my heart

--------------------

Someone was mentioning about the Sisters of Jesus Crusified. Here is their address:
[url="http://www.benedictinesjc.org/aboutUs.html"]http://www.benedicti...rg/aboutUs.html[/url]

I know some about them. They start off with the Liturgy of the Hours around 7AM, they end the day around 8:30PM and the sisters can sit and adore as long as they like before going to bed. I think it is Sunday that they skip the 7AM Office, and I think they start off around 9AM with Office. Many of the Sisters are in electronic wheel chairs, and they all seem to have some form of health condition even if it isn't outwardly obvious.

There is also the Visitandine Sisters. They were formed mainly for older vocations for those who couldn't handle austere, rigorous living.
[url="http://www.vistyr.org/index.html"]http://www.vistyr.org/index.html[/url]

Also meant to add in my post above...

“It’s not a matter of self-torture or of producing special achievements of self-assertion, but rather we let go of ourselves, to become interiorly free and so available for the call of God.”
--St Bernard of Clairvaux

Also, in the movie on St. Therese "Miracle of Saint Therese" (1952)... I don't know if it actually happened or was just put into the movie, but, and this was written on a site better than I could state it: "Later, as mistress of novices, Thérèse shocks the prioress by exempting a novice from one of the typically harsh penances of the convent, taking the view that it is better not to do a penance that injures the body and impairs one’s ability to do one’s work."