An Old School Catholic Message Board

Well Hmmm

krissylou

This afternoon I emailed the vocation offices of two communities near me, asking about their associate programs and if I kind of sort of perhaps maybe wanted to consider the possibility of considering becoming a part of that, what might be a good way to start considering that.

Maybe.

Perhaps.

Both of these are "associates" rather than "tertiaries" -- I think I've figured out that "tertiaries" have a formal status under canon law and "associates" do not. They make commitments for a year at a time, not lifetime promises.

Well hmmm. We shall see what we shall see.

[quote name='krissylou' date='27 July 2010 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1280263063' post='2148832']
This afternoon I emailed the vocation offices of two communities near me, asking about their associate programs and[b] if I kind of sort of perhaps maybe wanted to consider the possibility of considering becoming a part of that[/b], what might be a good way to start considering that.

Maybe.

Perhaps.

Both of these are "associates" rather than "tertiaries" -- I think I've figured out that "tertiaries" have a formal status under canon law and "associates" do not. They make commitments for a year at a time, not lifetime promises.

Well hmmm. We shall see what we shall see.
[/quote]

:lol: @ the bolded part. Prayers as you possibly maybe somehow perhaps might find a good place to be an associate. Maybe. I think.

And as they make commitments for a year at a time, if I did decide to go with one of these I could transfer over to the PPC once that gets up and running without that being any big deal.

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/deal.gif[/img]

Thinking ahead I am.
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/caption_yes.gif[/img]
p.s. the "Ascension" emoticon [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ascension.gif[/img] is heretical -- the little guy leaves his body behind while his pure immaterial soul floats off to heaven. Gnostic! Gnostic! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohno.gif[/img]

Where are those heresy-hunting Domini Canes when you need them? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/club.gif[/img]

This is increasingly bugging me. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/madder.gif[/img]

Edited by krissylou

Well one of them wrote me back already. They'll send me their schedule of events for September and I'll "come and see."

So, of these two congregations, for one of them the Associates have letters after their names.

So a Sister is:

Sister Jane Doe XYZ

As an Associate I would be

Krissy Lou Smith XYZA

The other community does not. A sister is:

Sister Jane Doe ABC

and I would be

Krissy Lou Smith, who is an associate of the ABCs.

Is it wrong that I kind of want the letters ... ?

• 4 weeks later...

So far, after about a month ...

Community 1:

The Sister who has been working most closely with the Associates is moving to Buffalo at the end of the summer and that responsibility is passing to another Sister.

I have heard from both of these Sisters as well as the lay Associate who leads the group along with the Sister liaison.

Community 2:

Complete radio silence.

This is interesting - I never considered the associate path. Being an associate might be a way to test a vocation although, if the associates do not live in community, that would not work. Since community is a big part of what appeals to me, being what amounts to a friend of the community with no special status in the formation framework might not give you the best idea of what being a real religious is about. It might be a good idea for someone who is too old or is otherwise unable to enter (e.g. health issues) but for an otherwise qualified candidate, what the heck... just take the punge.

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1282669548' post='2162492']
This is interesting - I never considered the associate path. Being an associate might be a way to test a vocation although, if the associates do not live in community, that would not work. Since community is a big part of what appeals to me, being what amounts to a friend of the community with no special status in the formation framework might not give you the best idea of what being a real religious is about. It might be a good idea for someone who is too old or is otherwise unable to enter (e.g. health issues) but for an otherwise qualified candidate, what the heck... just take the punge.
[/quote]

Yup, for me I sometimes say that "if I'd been born in an earlier generation I'd probably have become a nun" (actually I mean an active apostolic Sister, but who needs to be so precise?) but I'm pretty sure that actually joining a religious community as a vowed consecrated member is not for me.

(Though it seems that saying things like that out loud is just BEGGING God to do something mischievous!)

But I am intrigued by the Associate thing, or at least exploring the idea.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1280270747' post='2148882']
he "Ascension" emoticon [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ascension.gif[/img] is heretical -- the little guy leaves his body behind while his pure immaterial soul floats off to heaven. Gnostic! Gnostic! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohno.gif[/img]

Where are those heresy-hunting Domini Canes when you need them?

This is increasingly bugging me.

[/quote]

Krissy--In the "Ascension Emo" that doesn't look like a body he's leaving behind, I'm pretty sure it's his "yellow" clothes. Remember, for an emo, their face is their whole body. So, if the face is ascending, so is his "body."

Another theory, if you still think the emo is leaving his "body" behind. How do we know that the emo is Christ ascending? It could easily represent a saint (like all of us on Phatmass--yeah right) who ascends immediately to heaven. Christ didn't leave his earthly body behind, but the rest of us do.

This is a new one. The "Theology of Emos." Look for it on Amazon. I expect to make millions! (My system still won't let me make emos. <sigh>)

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1282672046' post='2162511']
(Though it seems that saying things like that out loud is just BEGGING God to do something mischievous!).
[/quote]

:sweat:
yeah, i've made that mistake before. And just purely thinking it is almost as fatal. But there is something about saying it outloud that really makes it an invite for some mischief.

Try sayig this your whole life, "I'm just a normal person, with average talents. I'll probably end up with a normal life. I'm satisfied. An adventure would be too extraordinary for such an average person like me. Thanks, but I'm quite content."
Then see what God has to say. He makes your wild and crazy childhood dreams come true. :evil:

Emailed a third community this afternoon. This one has a motherhouse within walking distance (long walking distance, granted, but still walking distance).

Ah, Boston, thou art jam packed with things Catholic! :nunpray: Growing up in the Midwest was not like this.

They are historically a nursing order, which would not be my cup of tea unless God gave me a boatload of extra graces to be able to withstand the concept of needles without getting woozy -- but now they do all sorts of different things.

Exploring is kind of fun!

And contacted a fourth.

I've been invited to come over to the convent sometime for lunch and to get acquainted with people.

I'm sort of thinking that this community may be too conservative to be a good match for me and I might constantly feel like :wall: -- but I won't know that until I meet them. And geez I could walk there and their apostolate seems a good match so it's definitely worth some contact.

AND ...

they were founded in Italy and showed up on the "best convent food" thread so how can I turn down a lunch invitation?

:eat:

And one more thing - I thought "associates" worked at Walmart - not a very inspirational title.

Kat

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1283375801' post='2166489']
And contacted a fourth.

I've been invited to come over to the convent sometime for lunch and to get acquainted with people.

I'm sort of thinking that this community may be too conservative to be a good match for me and I might constantly feel like :wall: -- but I won't know that until I meet them. And geez I could walk there and their apostolate seems a good match so it's definitely worth some contact.

AND ...

they were founded in Italy and showed up on the "best convent food" thread so how can I turn down a lunch invitation?

:eat:
[/quote]

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1283444219' post='2166997']
And one more thing - I thought "associates" worked at Walmart - not a very inspirational title.

Kat

[/quote]

Excellent point. This is a role that needs a new title!!!

The tally to date.

Community 1:

Heard from two sisters and the lay coordinator. Don't have schedule for their fall meetings yet.

Community 2:

Radio silence. Humph.

Community 3:

No response yet from the Associate Coordinator. Eventually succeeded in joining them for Vespers but it was a challenge. I'm not writing them off yet but hmmm ...

Community 4:

Went to the convent for lunch. Met a bunch of (very very friendly) sisters. Had a good talk with the Sister who is responsible for the lay associates nationally. I had a sense of Community 4's apostolate, which could be a good fit for me, but didn't know anything about their spirituality. The intro that I got to their spirituality sounded very attractive.

A couple issues that I thought would be huge problems turn out not to be.

Hmmm. This is looking promising.

I'm nowhere nearly ready to enter formation, but I want to hang out some more and learn.

There are a handful of Sisters who gather for lectio one evening a week ... I am invited to come for dinner and join them (usually they meet right before dinner, but can switch that to right after in order to make the schedule easier for me).

Sisters (and I think lay associates) of a variety of ages. Some in their nineties and also a steady stream of new vocations. I would not be attracted to a new community where at age 34 I'm older than most anybody else. But on the other hand I do want SOME young people around, not a whole bunch of people ranging in age between my mother and my grandmother and then there's me.

And I'm in the neighborhood, which is not necessary but a definite plus.

I'm nowhere close to being ready to enter formation yet, but Community 4 is currently in the lead!