An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Favorite Saints

Sarah147

okay, I have a never ending list, and the order kind of changes depending on the day and what I am in need of, so yeah here it is and a little bit of why:

1. St. Teresa of Avila ~ contrary to popular belief *ahem* she was not always a perfect saint ( as is another by the same name <_< ). :saint: She was really charismatic about the Faith and the Saints when she was young, but towards her teenage years she was, well, lets say just a [size="1"]little[/size] bit more in to boys. And fashion. And parties. Her dad sent her to live in a convent just to calm her down. Then she found out she had a vocation and entered. But even then she [i]still[/i] wasn't all that significant. It wasn't until she was 40 years old (about 20 years after she entered) that she began reforming and founding Carmelite convents and writing her spiritual works. Any ways she is my favorite because she didn't go way off the deep end like Saint Augustine, but she wasn't a saint from birth. I also find that I have a lot in common, and that our childhood and teenage years, up to the point of entering a convent at 18, are almost right on the same path. She could really get down and be rough with the guys, but she loved the fashion and styles. She loved books but she was very funny and outgoing. (even though I don't really consider myself funny) So of all the saints, I have really felt like she is a "kindred spirit". :cool:

wow that was long...

2. Saint Anthony ~ he is my saving grace. I'd be lost without him. srsly. :hehe:
He's a doctor. He's Franciscan. Enough said. :D

3. Saint Catherine of Siena ~ my baptismal patron. I used to think she was the only saint with the stigmata and that's like the only reason I liked her. And she had some really cool visions. Really. Her writings led me on the path to discovering what God created me for by knowing how he created me. "know thyself." Yeah, I owe her alot. She is definitely one of my unsung heros.

4. Saint Therese ~ She introduced me to the "little way". Other than that I though the only way to be a saint was to either be born a saint, or die a martyr. other than that it was almost impossible. Obviously now I know a little more about the Saints, and what it takes to become one.

5. St. Elizabeth of Hungary ~ I had a great devotion to her as a kid.I loved the fact that she was a princess [i]and[/i] a saint!!! It wasn't until later that I found out she was the patroness of Third Order Franciscans. :love:

So those are my top five. The list is ever growing and changing, but those top five are the most consistent. I know I'm forgetting someone, :doh: so I might have to add later. As LC said, Mary and St. Joseph are at the top, no questions asked. :))

What a [i]great[/i] topic!

[b]St. Francis of Assisi[/b] - So, I met a Franciscan one day, and was like 'this guy is awesome!' so I decided maybe I should figure out who St. Francis was. And so I went back to school and signed up for a course in Medieval history and read (independently of the course) the lives of St. Francis written by Thomas of Celano and St. Bonaventure. Eventually, I joined a Franciscan volunteer group, went to Assisi, and in general am in love with all things Franciscan. I think he has got to be one of the best disciples of Christ...ever. "We adore You, O Lord Jesus Christ, in this Church and all the Churches of the world, and we bless You, because, by Your holy Cross You have redeemed the world." [i]Feast: October 4th[/i]

[b]St. Clare of Assisi[/b] - It took me a lot longer to 'acquire' her as one of my favorite saints, but praying at her tomb was one of the highlights of my trip to Italy. Also, it's her feast day, so I figure I should give her special kudos and bump her up higher on the list. [i]Feast: August 11th[/i]

[b]St. John of the Cross[/b] - He's awesome. I love that he knows what he is talking about, and writes with such authority. He writes so beautifully (especially his poetry) and he makes the point of life, the universe and everything so clear. He makes the mystical down-to-earth, and the day-to-day mystical. I'm really not sure I've understood a word he wrote, but I still think it's good for me to read him. Go figure. [i]Feast: December 14th[/i]

[b]St. Veronica[/b] - Okay, so the details of her life are a bit hazy, but she's the one who wiped the face of Jesus on his way to the cross. For that small act of kindness, Jesus rewarded her with a miracle. I kinda hope my personal encounters with Christ are like that, too. ;) And, it's my confirmation name.

[b]St. Philomena[/b] - A beloved saint of St. John Vianney, she is noteworthy for [i]not[/i] having a historical record; she is known only by the discovery of her tomb. She's a young virgin martyr. [i]Feast: August 11th[/i]

[b]St. Maximilian Kolbe[/b] - As a Franciscan martyr, how could I not love him? He's the one who was willing to lay down his life for a stranger, and he had a great devotion to Mary. I visited Dachau on his feast day (he didn't die there, but many priests did). [i]Feast: August 14th[/i]

[b]St. Bernard of Clairveaux[/b] - The Melifluous Doctor! Not sure what I think of his politics, but his enthusiam for religious life (he brought 30 of his relatives to the monastery when he joined) and ardent preaching are without match. The Cistercians were a reform whose time had come, and I am very glad he was there to spearhead it for them. [i]Feast: August 20th[/i]

[b]St. Joseph[/b] - It was Cardinal Arinze who pointed out to me that Joseph never says a word. In his inimitable style, he told the congregation that if anyone could find a word spoken by Joseph in the gospels, he would buy that person a donkey. A friend later told me that the way to be a Christian and discern God's will is to be silent and 'Do whatever He tells you.' [i]Feast: March 19th[/i]

And no, I have not forgotten Our Lady! I have reserved the last place for her as a point of honor, and the title I most especially love of hers is [b]Our Lady of Mount Carmel[/b]. Her feast day is July 16th.

Well, there are others, but this is certainly enough to get started with ;) :saint:

Sister Andrew

oh, this is such a nice topic!
so, one of my favorite Saints is St. Andrew the apostle! I've always been inspired by the account in the Gospel of John when John the Baptist points out Jesus, Andrew follows Jesus, spends the day with Him and then immediatly goes to bring his brother Simon to meet Jesus. I want to follow his example and bring people to Jesus with the same haste he did. Anyway, I hope that made sense! St. Andrew, pray for us!

I've only recently become interested in the lives of the saints - my SD has given me some interesting reading material - I found a great website where you can order books about saints - marianland.com/saints. My favorites so far are St. Catherine of Siena (I always admire smart women!), St. Elizabeth of Hungary (rich AND a good person!), St. Vincent de Paul, Edith Stein (another smart woman!) and, of course, St. Francis of Assisi. I may make a few enemies here and probably I shouldn't post but here goes - I notice several people admire Padre Pio. I have read several things about him and, sorry, I'm not convinced that his stigmata was authentic so he doesn't make my pantheon.

OnlySunshine

I am becoming very close to St. Gemma Galgani. She and I have experienced much of the same things, such as the desire to serve God in religious life, but not being able to because of our health. I feel very close to her. :)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1281730344' post='2156621']
I am becoming very close to St. Gemma Galgani. She and I have experienced much of the same things, such as the desire to serve God in religious life, but not being able to because of our health. I feel very close to her. :)
[/quote]

I was thinking of you when I was learning a bit about her so I'm glad she's helping you :)

• 2 weeks later...

My favourites:

Holy Mary :)
Saint Ignatius of Loyola
Saint Teresa of the Andes
Saint Philipp Benizi
Our Seven Holy Founders (of the Servite Order)
Servant of God, Mother Maria Eleonora (Servite Nun)

and of course the Hungarian saints, blesseds, servants of God (like: Stephan Kaszap, Marcell Marton OCD)

LaPetiteSoeur

Saint Catherine Laboure: I know, I'm biased :) She was the ninth of eleven children, born Zoe Laboure in the Burgundy region of France. Her older sister was a Sister of Charity of St. Vincent dePaul so she couldn't join immediately. After working in her uncle's restaurant, she joined the order. When she was 24, Mary appeared to her in the chapel. Mary asked that a medal be struck that said "O Mary concieved without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee." It happened. However, Catherine lived her life anonymously. Even though the medal became very popular, the only people who know who Mary had appeared to was Catherine, her confessro, and her mother superior. She died at age seventy, after many years of serving the sick and dying.

Saint Joan of Arc: I think everyone knows her story. She is my Confirmation saint! Her bravery and strength is amazing.

Blessed Edmund Bojanowski: He's a relatively new addition. Edmund was very sickly as a child but loved God intensely. He could not become a priest, but he began the iLittle Servant Sisters of the Immaculate Conception in Poland almost 160 years ago. The Sisters work primarily with children, the sick, and the poor. During WWII, Edmund's 'daughters' hid many Jewish children in their convents. (If any of you ever saw the movie with Anna Paquin about the woman who was responsible for the hiding of thousands of Jewish children during the war, the sisters make an appearence----when she takes the children to the convent. It's that order). His sisters now are located in four locations in Poland and are in Poland what the DSMMEs and the Nashville Dominicans are here. They have many, many novices and postulants. In the States, there is a smaller group located in south NJ and they work all over the world. His sisters work entirely for Jesus and his Mother, Mary.

:nunpray: That's it. There are so many more. But so little time...