An Old School Catholic Message Board

End Of Discernment

OnlySunshine

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='31 July 2010 - 11:51 AM' timestamp='1280591464' post='2150257']
One of the residents I cared for in the nursing home had to wear a CPAP machine to bed. I saw him with it on and it does look very strange! :lol:
[/quote]

In my former community, my roomate had to wear the CPAP machine to bed. It helped her a lot and wasn't noisy at all. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='31 July 2010 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1280595416' post='2150274']
In my former community, my roomate had to wear the CPAP machine to bed. It helped her a lot and wasn't noisy at all. :)
[/quote]

yes, they are pretty quiet. About the only time I heard any noise is when the tube disconnected accidentally.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='31 July 2010 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1280595416' post='2150274']
In my former community, my roomate had to wear the CPAP machine to bed. It helped her a lot and wasn't noisy at all. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Laetitia, a community was actually okay with the CPAP? Wow! I am thrilled to hear that, as I thought it would be a financial issue or they might not accept an entrant with such a health issue. Was it a big or small order, cloistered, etc.?

If trial therapy with the mask works for me, it looks like I'll be wearing the kind that covers both the nose and mouth, as the nose-only one caused too much pain and pressure on my upper teeth/gums/mouth.

I found quite a thread about disabilities and the religious life:

[url="http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=235025"]http://forums.cathol...ad.php?t=235025[/url]

Someone on a forum said:
"But I've know another order that was willing to accept people with bipolar disorder as long as it was controlled by medicine. So you never really know.

Seek and you shall find. "

Also, I remember reading a while back about a woman that was looking at religious orders. She was on medicine for a mental condition. At one order, the Sister told her that if it was God's Will, she would enter with or without the medicine, and that God would make a way. I remember she ended up not entering there, as I guess it wasn't the order she felt called to, but it gave her hope.

I also learned some time ago of a natural supplement for things like ADHD, bipolar, anxiety, and other conditions. I haven't tried it, but from the testimonials I've heard, I'd like to give it a try. True hope dot com website. There is also loads of stuff to find in reviews at the i herb website.

Edited by JoyfulLife

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='31 July 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1280633361' post='2150429']
I found quite a thread about disabilities and the religious life:

[url="http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=235025"]http://forums.cathol...ad.php?t=235025[/url]

Someone on a forum said:
"But I've know another order that was willing to accept people with bipolar disorder as long as it was controlled by medicine. So you never really know.

Seek and you shall find. "
[/quote]

Actually the illness I have and the stress I am currently under make discernment unbearable at this point. I am still open to it in the future, if, God-willing, I have a vocation.

I actually discovered that the Little Sisters of the Poor do not have such stringent requirements for acceptance and I may look into them if I decide to start discerning again, but we shall see. Only God knows if the stress will be lifted and when I will see the light again. :)

P.S.--It's actually refreshing to find out there are orders out there that are open to accepting people with bipolar disorder. Though I do not have that disorder (thank God!), I've read how people have discovered such biased attitudes when trying to discern with a community they found attractive. That fact of acceptance in some communities gives me hope.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='01 August 2010 - 12:10 AM' timestamp='1280635837' post='2150436']
Yeah, it sure gives me hope, too, with my emotional/mental issue.
[/quote]

I know this is kind of off-topic, but have you ever considered the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI? I've heard that since they have a medical apostolate, they are more forgiving to those with mental disorders. Although I would think it's on a case by case basis, it might be a good idea to get in touch with them and see what their ideas are on your personal situation. Perhaps they could give you some advice, as well. :)

http://www.rsmofalma.org/

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='01 August 2010 - 01:17 AM' timestamp='1280636256' post='2150438']
I know this is kind of off-topic, but have you ever considered the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI? I've heard that since they have a medical apostolate, they are more forgiving to those with mental disorders. Although I would think it's on a case by case basis, it might be a good idea to get in touch with them and see what their ideas are on your personal situation. Perhaps they could give you some advice, as well. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

[url="http://www.rsmofalma.org/"]http://www.rsmofalma.org/[/url]
[/quote]

Thank you, I will have a look. I've kind of come to the point where I'm going to discern what apostolate, spirituality, community I'm drawn to. I'm still learning about all of this. Then narrow it down to a few. Then approach when the timing is right with what I feel called to, and let them take me on a case-by-case basis and see what Divine Providence allows for me. Some have made a good point that if I feel really called to a specific order, they may take that as God's Will and accept me. I cringe though in not being able to pick so much on my end, because I don't so easily feel drawn to just any order. My condition is well managed though and so I'm hoping they will all be very open to me. Maybe "managed" isn't even the word, rather there are no symptoms of it at all, for quite some time. I've really had to learn how to deal with situations and stressors through councelling. That's been key.

Also, the True Hope website I mentioned... If I remember correctly, I believe a man and his daughter formed their own company and similar supplement after the success of the True Hope website supplement on his bipolar daughter. They are at Quiet Minds dot net. Again, never tried either, but curious.

Edited by JoyfulLife

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='31 July 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1280627314' post='2150392']
Laetitia, a community was actually okay with the CPAP? Wow! I am thrilled to hear that, as I thought it would be a financial issue or they might not accept an entrant with such a health issue. Was it a big or small order, cloistered, etc.?

If trial therapy with the mask works for me, it looks like I'll be wearing the kind that covers both the nose and mouth, as the nose-only one caused too much pain and pressure on my upper teeth/gums/mouth.
[/quote]

My former community is fairly new (a wee bit over 20 years old now), active Marian missionary, and currently has 983 members (from aspirants to perpetually professed) worldwide. There are almost 100 members in the U.S. currently... so I don't know if this itno the "big" or "small" category. They also have a cloistered branch, but all that enter will go through the active formation first and may request to be cloistered if they believe this is their vocation -- and if they are then missioned to the cloister.

Health insurance is required with this community and is generally paid for via benefactors -- once we professed temporary vows we were asked to find benefactors to send $100-200 a month to help with various communal needs, like health insurance.

Anyhoo -- my roommate had the mask that covered both nose and mouth -- I don't know how much was covered by the insurance, but the community helped pay for whatever wasn't covered. :) I love that Sister and miss her muchly! She's probably one of my most favorite people in the entire world.

What are the odd's of running into someone that knew a Sister with CPAP, much less roomed with her, and even much less the existence of a Sister on CPAP? Funny.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='01 August 2010 - 12:42 PM' timestamp='1280680960' post='2150512']
What are the odd's of running into someone that knew a Sister with CPAP, much less roomed with her, and even much less the existence of a Sister on CPAP? Funny.
[/quote]

:lol:

Further evidence to support my theory: God is crazy. :sweat:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='01 August 2010 - 01:49 PM' timestamp='1280681364' post='2150514']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img]

Further evidence to support my theory: God is crazy. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sweat.gif[/img]
[/quote]

His ways can sure sometimes seem silly!! Heh! He sure is devotedly in love with each of us! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/love.gif[/img]

MissScripture

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='30 July 2010 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1280519190' post='2149968']
My doctor confirmed today that my chronic illness has returned. I was started on medication right away. The most important thing was that she said I got in there very quickly because I recognized the signs and symptoms, so this time around should not be so bad. I will probably have to stay on a low dose of medication for the rest of my life since I have tried to come off several times and it just doesn't work out. It doesn't appear that God desires me to be a religious because all the religious communities I have contacted say that I cannot have this illness and that I must be off the medication for at least a year. I am starting to see God's will and I am getting comfortable with the idea. It would be a miracle if I could find a religious order that would take me with the illness and medication, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

Please say some prayers for me. Thanks.
[/quote]
Prayers for you! It's truly amazing how God works things out in our lives, so I am convinced He has something planned for you that will be more wonderful than you can imagine.:) Unfortunately, there are sometimes bumps along the path. :(

You know, St. Gemma wanted to enter the religious life but she couldn't because even after her recovery, she couldn't get, like a confirmation letter for them of her good health. But God allowed that. Seems He makes a path for us by closing and opening certain doors. Who knows what doors will be open, still could work out at some religious order.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MissScripture' date='01 August 2010 - 06:47 PM' timestamp='1280702874' post='2150616']
Prayers for you! It's truly amazing how God works things out in our lives, so I am convinced He has something planned for you that will be more wonderful than you can imagine.:) Unfortunately, there are sometimes bumps along the path. :(
[/quote]

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='01 August 2010 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1280705001' post='2150621']
You know, St. Gemma wanted to enter the religious life but she couldn't because even after her recovery, she couldn't get, like a confirmation letter for them of her good health. But God allowed that. Seems He makes a path for us by closing and opening certain doors. Who knows what doors will be open, still could work out at some religious order.
[/quote]

Thank you both for your support. St. Gemma Galgani is an amazing saint. Thank you for using her as an example. :)