An Old School Catholic Message Board

End Of Discernment

OnlySunshine

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='01 August 2010 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1280705001' post='2150621']
You know, St. Gemma wanted to enter the religious life but she couldn't because even after her recovery, she couldn't get, like a confirmation letter for them of her good health. But God allowed that. Seems He makes a path for us by closing and opening certain doors. Who knows what doors will be open, still could work out at some religious order.
[/quote]

I would just pray that God never gives me the stigmata, ecstasies, or any other type of mystical "gifts". :sweat:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='01 August 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1280709985' post='2150653']
I would just pray that God never gives me the stigmata, ecstasies, or any other type of mystical "gifts". [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sweat.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Have you gone batty? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif[/img] Heh! I'm praying and hoping to receive the gift of mystical contemplative prayer. That is transforming and amazing. And if God would ever want to give me ecstasies, praise God! What an embrace people could have with God!

Now the Stigmata... That's another story.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='01 August 2010 - 12:11 PM' timestamp='1280679098' post='2150507']
My former community is fairly new (a wee bit over 20 years old now), active Marian missionary, and currently has 983 members (from aspirants to perpetually professed) worldwide. There are almost 100 members in the U.S. currently... so I don't know if this itno the "big" or "small" category. They also have a cloistered branch, but all that enter will go through the active formation first and may request to be cloistered if they believe this is their vocation -- and if they are then missioned to the cloister.
[/quote]

Okay there are lots of perfectly good reasons for people to not identify specific communities, especially communities which they have left, :seehearspeak: but to have no identification plus that much detail is just devastating to those of us who are nosy. :detective:

Are you trying to kill us? :annoyed:

I suppose I shall offer it up. :surrender:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='krissylou' date='01 August 2010 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1280710871' post='2150667']
Okay there are lots of perfectly good reasons for people to not identify specific communities, especially communities which they have left, :seehearspeak: but to have no identification plus that much detail is just devastating to those of us who are nosy. :detective:

Are you trying to kill us? :annoyed:

I suppose I shall offer it up. :surrender:
[/quote]

:lol: You could always PM me. :hehe:

Or to make it easier, I'll PM you! Hahaha!

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='01 August 2010 - 08:46 PM' timestamp='1280709985' post='2150653']
I would just pray that God never gives me the stigmata, ecstasies, or any other type of mystical "gifts". :sweat:
[/quote]
<_< pratical Dominican.

Me? I choose... ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!
:sweat:

of course... that involves a LOT of holiness. :saint:
... that I don't have. :ohno:

oh well. I've got a whole lifetime ahead of me... and God ain't finished with me yet!!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JTheresa' date='01 August 2010 - 09:11 PM' timestamp='1280711490' post='2150679']
<_< pratical Dominican.

Me? I choose... ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!
:sweat:

of course... that involves a LOT of holiness. :saint:
... that I don't have. :ohno:

oh well. I've got a whole lifetime ahead of me... and God ain't finished with me yet!!
[/quote]

I used to think I'd want ALLLL of those things.

But then, like you said, the "practicalities" of it all really began to set in after reading various "Lives of the Saints" that experienced said "gifts".

Like St. Gemma -- aka the "angel on earth". She's [i]waaaaaay[/i] too holy for me. I can't make it past chapter seven of her biography written by her spiritual director. I've tried twice to read it. I only made it past chapter two the first time. :paperbag:

All I know is, if it ever happened to me, it'd totally freak me out. I'd be convinced everything was from the devil because I know I smell of elderberries at being humble. :sweat: (Thank you, John of the Cross.)

Edit: spelling typo.

Edited by laetitia crucis

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='01 August 2010 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1280711755' post='2150683']
All I know is, if it ever happened to me, it'd totally freak me out.
[/quote]

In time I think you'll think differently. Mystical contemplative prayer isn't anything to freak out about. It's all about being in God's love. Perfect love casts out fear.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='01 August 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1280711755' post='2150683']
I used to think I'd want ALLLL of those things.

But then, like you said, the "practicalities" of it all really began to set in after reading various "Lives of the Saints" that experienced said "gifts".

Like St. Gemma -- aka the "angel on earth". She's [i]waaaaaay[/i] too holy for me. I can't make it past chapter seven of her biography written by her spiritual director. I've tried twice to read it. I only made it past chapter two the first time. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/paperbag.gif[/img]

All I know is, if it ever happened to me, it'd totally freak me out. I'd be convinced everything was from the devil because I know I smell of elderberries at being humble. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sweat.gif[/img] (Thank you, John of the Cross.)

Edit: spelling typo.
[/quote]

LC can't get stigmata, because then she would get blood on the books, and if you take books away from a Dominican they wither away into nothing. (Although that might be interesting to watch, in a sort of sick, evil way.) She'd have to wear thick heavy gloves all the time, and she couldn't type on the computer. God isn't THAT mean to give her stigmata. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MissScripture' date='01 August 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1280702874' post='2150616']
Prayers for you! It's truly amazing how God works things out in our lives, so I am convinced He has something planned for you that will be more wonderful than you can imagine.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] Unfortunately, there are sometimes bumps along the path. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I've discovered that the "bumps" are what give you the ability to help people. If you are too perfect, they won't talk to you. But, once they see what a noob you really are, they're not intimidated.

However, I would appreciate it if God would stop giving me quite so many big "bumps"--not that he is going to listen to me. Before my big "bumps" I was a snot. Now, I am less of a snot. If I get any more big "bumps" I will become a saint, and then everyone will avoid me (more than they do already) because saints are holy, but uncomfortable to be around.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='01 August 2010 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1280712557' post='2150691']
If I get any more big "bumps" I will become a saint, and then everyone will avoid me (more than they do already) because saints are holy, but uncomfortable to be around.
[/quote]

I completely disagree. I know some very holy people, and I LOVE being in their company, above everyone. St. Teresa was very charming and people loved being around her.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='01 August 2010 - 08:31 PM' timestamp='1280712716' post='2150694']
I completely disagree. I know some very holy people, and I LOVE being in their company, above everyone. St. Teresa was very charming and people loved being around her.
[/quote]

When you get to know me better, you will be able to tell when not to take me too seriously. Sometimes I hide a serious message in self-deprecating humor.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='01 August 2010 - 09:21 PM' timestamp='1280712119' post='2150688']
LC can't get stigmata, because then she would get blood on the books, and if you take books away from a Dominican they wither away into nothing. (Although that might be interesting to watch, in a sort of sick, evil way.) She'd have to wear thick heavy gloves all the time, and she couldn't type on the computer. God isn't THAT mean to give her stigmata. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]
[/quote]

:shock:

And if the blood got on the books.... oooh, I can't even think about it, the horror!

And then if they took the books away... :weep:

I'd become a wraith. :ascension:

I agree, Iggy's right -- God isn't THAT mean to give me the stigmata. :lol:

At least I sincerely hope not. :unsure:

Edit: typo :duh:

Edited by laetitia crucis

MissScripture

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='01 August 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1280712557' post='2150691']
I've discovered that the "bumps" are what give you the ability to help people. If you are too perfect, they won't talk to you. But, once they see what a noob you really are, they're not intimidated.

However, I would appreciate it if God would stop giving me quite so many big "bumps"--not that he is going to listen to me. Before my big "bumps" I was a snot. Now, I am less of a snot. If I get any more big "bumps" I will become a saint, and then everyone will avoid me (more than they do already) because saints are holy, but uncomfortable to be around.
[/quote]
Yeah, most of my bumps have been God saying, "HEY! LISTEN TO ME! Hey! You're not listening! Knock it off! If you'd just LISTEN things could get done a lot faster around here!" :lol:

So, when my sister was visiting our brother and sis-in-law, they were watching a tv show, and my sis-in-law said, "This isn't a very holy show, we probably shouldn't make you watch this with us, since you're a future nun. Shouldn't you do holy things?" And my sister said, "Well, I'm more holy when I'm around holy people...wait...that didn't come out right!" :hehehe:

The Stigmata isn't God being mean. I can see your joking, but any truth in your statement? Suffering has so much power when we unite it to the Cross and offer it up. We're talking major growth in prayer, holiness, virtue, love.

Edited by JoyfulLife