An Old School Catholic Message Board

End Of Discernment

OnlySunshine

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='01 August 2010 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1280715581' post='2150705']
The Stigmata isn't God being mean. I can see your joking, but any truth in your statement? Suffering has so much power when we unite it to the Cross and offer it up. We're talking major growth in prayer, holiness, virtue, love.
[/quote]

In all honesty, I was totally joking! :hehe: Granted, I do not wish for the stigmata (or anything else mystical), but if God deemed me worthy of such a (crazy awesome) gift, then I would totally take it as an opportunity to offer up my sufferings and unite it to the Cross. :sign:

It can be so hard to tell when I can't hear your tone of voice or see your facial expression.

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif[/img] Getting late.

Edited by JoyfulLife

OnlySunshine

I have some news. I contacted a Visitation community here in the US out of sheer curiosity to see if they would be open to accepting someone like me who needs to take medication probably for the rest of their life. I got an email message back last night saying that although I may feel attracted to their charism, they would not be open to anyone with my illness.

It seems as though God is confirming that I do not have a vocation. I contacted a few other communities that I know of to ask their opinions, but I have not yet heard back. If I do, I'll let you know.

Right now, it doesn't really matter too much to me about discernment. I am not healthy yet, nor am I working. I'd rather be stable for a few years before committing to a religious order. :)

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='01 August 2010 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1280715220' post='2150701']
:shock:

And if the blood got on the books.... oooh, I can't even think about it, the horror!

And then if they took the books away... :weep:

I'd become a wraith. :ascension:

I agree, Iggy's right -- God isn't THAT mean to give me the stigmata. :lol:

At least I sincerely hope not. :unsure:

Edit: typo :duh:
[/quote]

:rolling: a wraith hahahaha. Instead of going around saying "Shiiiiire.... Baggins" it'd be "liiiibrary....Aquinas!" :hehe:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='03 August 2010 - 12:24 PM' timestamp='1280856291' post='2151523']
I have some news. I contacted a Visitation community here in the US out of sheer curiosity to see if they would be open to accepting someone like me who needs to take medication probably for the rest of their life. I got an email message back last night saying that although I may feel attracted to their charism, they would not be open to anyone with my illness.

It seems as though God is confirming that I do not have a vocation. I contacted a few other communities that I know of to ask their opinions, but I have not yet heard back. If I do, I'll let you know.

Right now, it doesn't really matter too much to me about discernment. I am not healthy yet, nor am I working. I'd rather be stable for a few years before committing to a religious order. :)
[/quote]

You're still in my prayers MM :)

edited to add
Sorry I'm not very good at sympathizing over disappointment or rejection though. I said to God you can't possibly be calling me to be a nun so to prove that I've been trying to get rejected! I'm selfish and lazy and very much an Augustine with the Lord make me holy, but not yet way of thinking! :lol: :paperbag:

Edited by vee8

lookingforfaith

[quote name='vee8' date='03 August 2010 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1280859905' post='2151542']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif[/img] a wraith hahahaha. Instead of going around saying "Shiiiiire.... Baggins" it'd be "liiiibrary....Aquinas!" [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/hehe.gif[/img]
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!! can I just say that litterally made me LOL!!!

On second thought I can very much sympathize and relate to rejection and disappointment with jobs. There were jobs I really wanted but didn't get, or in one case got fired from for no clear reason a month or so after getting it. That time was pretty devastating for several reasons and one was they never gave me a warning just out of the blue here's your pay, bye. I see job hunting and convent hunting, if I can call it that :topsy: as two different things, so while I can definitely understand rejection in one area I'm not sure if it's fair to say that that might apply to the feelings experienced with being told "sorry no" by a religious community.

I hope that makes sense I've been out in the sun too much so maybe it doesn't :sweat:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='03 August 2010 - 01:24 PM' timestamp='1280856291' post='2151523']

Right now, it doesn't really matter too much to me about discernment. I am not healthy yet, nor am I working. I'd rather be stable for a few years before committing to a religious order. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Or, since the Dominicans seem to have snagged your heart, maybe your idea to look at being a Dominican Tertiary is the way to go.

But yeah, it seems to me that your current state of "not absolutely rejecting the idea, never say never, but this cannot be where I put my time and emotional energy right now" is absolutely wise.

(Not that you asked, but I am rarely shy about offering my opinions! I got plenty. Want some more? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

[quote name='lookingforfaith' date='03 August 2010 - 03:43 PM' timestamp='1280868180' post='2151621']
HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!! can I just say that litterally made me LOL!!!
[/quote]

aw thanks. Actually I think PM has the funniest comments I've ever read online, not just on VS but in general. It's fairly common for me to laugh out loud at things, so much so that people around me wonder what I'm reading thats so hilarious.

The real problems would start when someone directs the wraith LC to the PPC library which only has paintings and statues of Aquinas but no books!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='03 August 2010 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1280870552' post='2151639']
aw thanks. Actually I think PM has the funniest comments I've ever read online, not just on VS but in general. It's fairly common for me to laugh out loud at things, so much so that people around me wonder what I'm reading thats so hilarious.

The real problems would start when someone directs the wraith LC to the PPC library which only has paintings and statues of Aquinas but no books!
[/quote]

Not to worry, I have secretly been removing pictures of St. Thomas Aquinas from the library and placing them all over the PPC monastery--although there are still some in the library. I know that nun/Sister's cells are supposed have completely bare walls except the crucifix, but right now all the cells have at least one painting of St. Thomas Aquinas, two paintings if the nun/Sister has Carmelite tendencies. As for statues, I never have been fond of statues in libraries, plus, I'm a klutz and would knock them over or drop them on my foot, so even though I was assured the statues would require no dusting, the statues have all been sent back to whomever it is that sells statues. I've used the money to buy books.

Plus, our donor was horrifed when he/she saw how few books were in our beautiful library, so he/she donated a generous amount with the proviso that it ONLY be used for books--not statues, not paintings, not computers, not grottos for our Lady of Lourdes--but books! Lots and lots of books. So, when "wraith L-C" haunts our library, her soul will be at rest. I think nuns/Sisters, at least in some Orders, aren't supposed to have comfy chairs, but our library has plenty, along with some nice, hard, uncomfortable straight-back chairs for those who are vowed to the austere life and are not comfortable in comfy chairs. The discipline to sit in a straight hard-backed chair will have to come from the individual, making the sacrifice even more meaningful. If anyone acts "holier-than-thou" for picking a straight back chair, the nuns/Sisters of PPC have permission to make fun of that person. The decision of which chair to sit in is between an individual and God, and is no one else's business. So, we will not make fun of anyone who chooses a hard, straight-back chair, in fact, will respect them for their self-discipline, as long as the individual shows the proper amount of humility.

If it turns out that wraiths have stigmata, too, we will find some plastic covers for L-C's books. But, someone else is going to have to periodically clean the blood off the plastic covers, because the librarian (me) has a "thing" about blood and we can't have the librarian fainting (and throwing up) in the stacks. It just "isn't done."

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='lookingforfaith' date='03 August 2010 - 05:14 PM' timestamp='1280873679' post='2151652']
mmmm books...lots and lots of books...
[/quote]

We hearby invite you to join us in the Phatmass Phemale Community aka PPC. Look down the threads--maybe to the next page, and you will find it the thread. The PPC is mostly for fun, but it's also a chance for us to built an Order with many of the things we're looking for.

The PPC is essentially a microcasm of the VS. So, it is your typical Benedictine/Carmelite/Dominican/Franciscan et al community--you know the type. We are cloistered, semi-cloistered, and not cloistered at all, and have at least one hermit.

I, known in the PPC as Sister Polycarp of the Late Rising, am the the librarian, and while members of the community are free to have stigmata as the Lord wills, they are asked to be thoughtful of others and not get blood on the books.

Do not take the PPC too seriously. Do pick a religious name for yourself (most people have serious names), and speak up if there is anything you would LOVE to have in a future community.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='03 August 2010 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1280859905' post='2151542']
:rolling: a wraith hahahaha. Instead of going around saying "Shiiiiire.... Baggins" it'd be "liiiibrary....Aquinas!" :hehe:
[/quote]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!

:lol_pound:

I am literally laughing out loud -- VERY loudly!

I do a wickedly freaky "wraith" scream! Beware!

[quote name='vee8' date='03 August 2010 - 05:22 PM' timestamp='1280870552' post='2151639']
[/quote]

Ditto!!

[quote name='vee8']The real problems would start when someone directs the wraith LC to the PPC library which only has paintings and statues of Aquinas but no books!
[/quote]

:bigshock:

You better believe it! :lol:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='03 August 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1280872750' post='2151643']
Not to worry, I have secretly been removing pictures of St. Thomas Aquinas from the library and placing them all over the PPC monastery--although there are still some in the library. I know that nun/Sister's cells are supposed have completely bare walls except the crucifix, but right now all the cells have at least one painting of St. Thomas Aquinas, two paintings if the nun/Sister has Carmelite tendencies. As for statues, I never have been fond of statues in libraries, plus, I'm a klutz and would knock them over or drop them on my foot, so even though I was assured the statues would require no dusting, the statues have all been sent back to whomever it is that sells statues. I've used the money to buy books. [/quote]

This is MOST excellent! :woot: Spreading the Aquinas-love throughout the entire convent!

:yahoo:

I think I remembering hearing that in the priory (monastery?) where Fra Angelica lived, each cell has a fresco painted by him for the brothers' meditation. Can you even imagine having a cell like that??? :cloud9: How awesome would that be, right?

[quote name='Ignatius of Loyola']Plus, our donor was horrifed when he/she saw how few books were in our beautiful library, so he/she donated a generous amount with the proviso that it ONLY be used for books--not statues, not paintings, not computers, not grottos for our Lady of Lourdes--but books! Lots and lots of books. So, when "wraith L-C" haunts our library, her soul will be at rest. I think nuns/Sisters, at least in some Orders, aren't supposed to have comfy chairs, but our library has plenty, along with some nice, hard, uncomfortable straight-back chairs for those who are vowed to the austere life and are not comfortable in comfy chairs. The discipline to sit in a straight hard-backed chair will have to come from the individual, making the sacrifice even more meaningful. If anyone acts "holier-than-thou" for picking a straight back chair, the nuns/Sisters of PPC have permission to make fun of that person. The decision of which chair to sit in is between an individual and God, and is no one else's business. So, we will not make fun of anyone who chooses a hard, straight-back chair, in fact, will respect them for their self-discipline, as long as the individual shows the proper amount of humility.

If it turns out that wraiths have stigmata, too, we will find some plastic covers for L-C's books. But, someone else is going to have to periodically clean the blood off the plastic covers, because the librarian (me) has a "thing" about blood and we can't have the librarian fainting (and throwing up) in the stacks. It just "isn't done."
[/quote]

Yessssss! Booookssssssss! :drool:

They bring much peace to my heart.

Especially when I am curled up in a big squishy comfy chair with a big stack of 'em. :love:

God willing, this wraith will not have stigmata. :sweat: I'd hate to get blood on the books and on the big squishy comfy chair. :sadder:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='03 August 2010 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1280860760' post='2151558']
You're still in my prayers MM :)

edited to add
Sorry I'm not very good at sympathizing over disappointment or rejection though. I said to God you can't possibly be calling me to be a nun so to prove that I've been trying to get rejected! I'm selfish and lazy and very much an Augustine with the Lord make me holy, but not yet way of thinking! :lol: :paperbag:
[/quote]

Don't worry. ;) I'm not looking to make this a pity party for me. It's just a good place to cast out ideas and thoughts, and vent.

[quote name='krissylou' date='03 August 2010 - 05:08 PM' timestamp='1280869694' post='2151633']
Or, since the Dominicans seem to have snagged your heart, maybe your idea to look at being a Dominican Tertiary is the way to go.

But yeah, it seems to me that your current state of "not absolutely rejecting the idea, never say never, but this cannot be where I put my time and emotional energy right now" is absolutely wise.

(Not that you asked, but I am rarely shy about offering my opinions! I got plenty. Want some more? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img] )
[/quote]

Sometimes, rejection hurts. I really don't understand how some orders can lump everyone with an illness in the same category when they have had past difficulties with some people. I know I don't have a right to a religious vocation, but I used to feel very strongly that I was called in that direction. For the past few months, that has kind of waned. As I said though, if I were to pursue one, I feel it would be very difficult to find a community that would accept me as God made me, and that makes me sad. :sadder:

On the same note, I received yet another email from another Visitation order I emailed saying that they could not allow me to come. When I receive these, I try to remember the old adage:

[i]When God shuts a door, He opens a window.[/i]

Maybe my window is becoming a Dominican Tertiary. I am becoming more and more open to the idea. I do so love the Dominican saints and the spirituality fits. I really do love the Salesian spirituality, though. The Visitation mystery is my favorite.

Oh, well. Like I said, I am not looking for a pity party. I just need a place to vent frustrations. :)