An Old School Catholic Message Board

End Of Discernment

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='01 August 2010 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1280636256' post='2150438']
I know this is kind of off-topic, but have you ever considered the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI? I've heard that since they have a medical apostolate, they are more forgiving to those with mental disorders. Although I would think it's on a case by case basis, it might be a good idea to get in touch with them and see what their ideas are on your personal situation. Perhaps they could give you some advice, as well. :)

http://www.rsmofalma.org/
[/quote]
Just a little note that I absolutely LOVE these Sisters!!!! My community has a real great bond with them! I believe they make these "exchange visits" every now and then; we go up and visit for a few days then they come down and visit us. You could say that they're "friends of the family". :hehe: I actually went to one of the Sisters for my pyschiatric evaluation. She was so nice and they are such a lovely community!

[quote name='vee8' date='03 August 2010 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1280859905' post='2151542']
:rolling: a wraith hahahaha. Instead of going around saying "Shiiiiire.... Baggins" it'd be "liiiibrary....Aquinas!" :hehe:
[/quote]
:lol_pound:

I feel like I'm highjacking MMs thread. :ninja:

be assured of my prayers for you Mater!! We could still use your wisdom and expertise on VS, so
don't stop posting!!!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JTheresa' date='04 August 2010 - 02:04 AM' timestamp='1280901851' post='2151929']
Just a little note that I absolutely LOVE these Sisters!!!! My community has a real great bond with them! I believe they make these "exchange visits" every now and then; we go up and visit for a few days then they come down and visit us. You could say that they're "friends of the family". :hehe: I actually went to one of the Sisters for my pyschiatric evaluation. She was so nice and they are such a lovely community!
[/quote]

I actually contacted them by email because someone recommended them to me after learning that I suffered a chronic illness. She said that since they have a medical apostolate, they tend to be more understanding of such disorders and might let me discern with them if I ever chose to discern again. I am just waiting for their reply. :)

P.S.--their habit is very pretty.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='03 August 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1280872750' post='2151643']
Not to worry, I have secretly been removing pictures of St. Thomas Aquinas from the library and placing them all over the PPC monastery--although there are still some in the library. I know that nun/Sister's cells are supposed have completely bare walls except the crucifix, but right now all the cells have at least one painting of St. Thomas Aquinas, two paintings if the nun/Sister has Carmelite tendencies.
[/quote]
???
:scratchhead:

methinks that you are picking on us Carmelites(/Franciscans). And, in response, ... dare I say it... I would request that you spare my cell of such decor. You see, I find Aquinas to be, well, how should I say this, too, "angelic" for me. If Im going to have a picture of a saint in my cell, I would like them to be more... to put it delicately... realistic. Sinful. But yet holy. Showing the progress they were able to make from who they were to who they are as saints. Someone like Teresa ( and no i do not mean the "Little Flower" by any stretch) or Augustine or Anthony.

But again, I am highjacking. I shall move myslef over to the PPC, where I shall be meticulously redecorating my cell.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JTheresa' date='04 August 2010 - 02:27 AM' timestamp='1280903273' post='2151933']
???
:scratchhead:

methinks that you are picking on us Carmelites(/Franciscans). And, in response, ... dare I say it... I would request that you spare my cell of such decor. You see, I find Aquinas to be, well, how should I say this, too, "angelic" for me. If Im going to have a picture of a saint in my cell, I would like them to be more... to put it delicately... realistic. Sinful. But yet holy. Showing the progress they were able to make from who they were to who they are as saints. Someone like Teresa ( and no i do not mean the "Little Flower" by any stretch) or Augustine or Anthony.

But again, I am highjacking. I shall move myslef over to the PPC, where I shall be meticulously redecorating my cell.
[/quote]

Anthony?? :hehehe: I find him as angelic as Aquinas, Dominic, and Bonaventure!

*ponders*

If you are speaking of the "Anthony" from that "Saint Anthony: The Miracle Worker" film... well, I must admit, that is a work of quasi-fiction. There was no "vow" from which Anthony "exchanged" his life for his best friend's, nor a struggle to give up his beloved lady friend. At least not from what I've read, nor what another Sister that continues to be BFFs with Tony knows about him. ;)

Granted, if that film were 100% true, then maybe I could accept Anthony as being "not angelic". :smokey:

Surely, we must come up with some good saints that were more [i]human[/i] and *gasp* even committed mortal sins! :shock:

Let us ponder.... :bigthink: :hehehe:

----

However, I am fond of Thom. He provides a good reminder to me to use my common sense and my intellect, to not let my passions rule over me. A reminder like this: :getaclue: Perhaps having his gloomy "I'm pondering the Passion of Christ" face in my cell would be a good mortification for me. :lol:

Though I may be tempted to give him a fake handle-bars mustache every once in a while. :saint: Just to lighten things up a bit.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='03 August 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1280872750' post='2151643']
Not to worry, I have secretly been removing pictures of St. Thomas Aquinas from the library and placing them all over the PPC monastery--although there are still some in the library. I know that nun/Sister's cells are supposed have completely bare walls except the crucifix, but right now all the cells have at least one painting of St. Thomas Aquinas, two paintings if the nun/Sister has Carmelite tendencies.
[/quote]

:lol: I like Thomas, in particular for his beautiful songs. :cloud9: Id even take the paintings JTheresa doesnt want. Yes even if I end up with four of "Thomas meditating on the Passion" which would be a real penance but you know gotta save souls haha :twothumbsup:

Edited by vee8

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='03 August 2010 - 09:18 PM' timestamp='1280888284' post='2151817']
Don't worry. ;) I'm not looking to make this a pity party for me. It's just a good place to cast out ideas and thoughts, and vent.

[/quote]

I think this is a great place to do that so vent as you want and I will do this :console: and :pray: :)

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='04 August 2010 - 08:15 AM' timestamp='1280924124' post='2151960']

Surely, we must come up with some good saints that were more [i]human[/i] and *gasp* even committed mortal sins! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/shock.gif[/img]

Let us ponder.... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/bigthink.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/hehehe.gif[/img]

[/quote]

She is not officially canonized but I would like a picture of Dorothy Day in my cell.

Thank you.

Krissy Lou, Obl. PPC

[quote name='JoyfulLife' date='01 August 2010 - 01:28 AM' timestamp='1280636883' post='2150442']
Thank you, I will have a look. I've kind of come to the point where I'm going to discern what apostolate, spirituality, community I'm drawn to. I'm still learning about all of this. Then narrow it down to a few. Then approach when the timing is right with what I feel called to, and let them take me on a case-by-case basis and see what Divine Providence allows for me. Some have made a good point that if I feel really called to a specific order, they may take that as God's Will and accept me. I cringe though in not being able to pick so much on my end, because I don't so easily feel drawn to just any order. My condition is well managed though and so I'm hoping they will all be very open to me. Maybe "managed" isn't even the word, rather there are no symptoms of it at all, for quite some time. I've really had to learn how to deal with situations and stressors through councelling. That's been key.

Also, the True Hope website I mentioned... If I remember correctly, I believe a man and his daughter formed their own company and similar supplement after the success of the True Hope website supplement on his bipolar daughter. They are at Quiet Minds dot net. Again, never tried either, but curious.
[/quote]

Mater, I know you are stepping away from discernment. So this is just for health in general, and for anyone this relates to.

I commented more on health issues here:
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=107298&view=findpost&p=2153726"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=107298&view=findpost&p=2153726[/url]

I've been researching magnesium deficiency/supplementation. George Eby has a site with a wealth of information. Between him and google, it is incredible all the health issues it can cause. It appears it may even be the cause of the mental/emotional issue I have, as well as my ADHD and other things. It has a huge impact on muscular functions and mental/emotional functions, including brain chemicals. I am looking forward to getting an effective formula and trying it out.