An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Favorite Living Religious -- Almost Saints

Sarah147

Hello,

Here's a great topic.

Share the people that are your favorite or big influences in your life. I'm thinking of very spiritual or Holy people, those you trust may become Saints. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img] They may be in your life, such as: your Parish Priest, a religious Sister, a relative, etc. Or somewhere in the world, such as: Pope Benedict, a Priest on EWTN, Fr. Corapi, etc.

Share why you see them that way. What is it about them? What have they done? How have they influenced your life?

You can also include a subsection of deceased people yet to be canonized, that you trust were Holy.

My parish priest (who just retired). He's the nicest, sweetest, happiest person. The other day I was having an awful day of annoying customers, and he happened to be meeting a priest friend for dinner and came ot visit me. It completely turned the day around.
Our Catholic student group took him out to dinner and it was agreed that he's the cutest person ever. :)

Fr. Roger Landry, a diocesan priest in Massachusetts. He is a living Saint!! I think there is a PMer here who also knows him, and she can definitely attest to what I mean! Very holy, very knowledgeable, extremely intelligent, very humble ... God listens to his prayers. I've heard a few stories regarding him ... he blames it on other Saints, but then again ... St. John Vianney "blamed" his miracles on St. Philomena! ;)

Also Fr. James McCurry, OFM Conv. I sincerely believe he will be canonized someday. He's just an amazing priest - very kindly, very holy ... you just feel like you're in the presence of something holy when he's in a room with you.

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='08 August 2010 - 06:36 PM' timestamp='1281303413' post='2154285']
Fr. Roger Landry, a diocesan priest in Massachusetts. He is a living Saint!! I think there is a PMer here who also knows him, and she can definitely attest to what I mean! Very holy, very knowledgeable, extremely intelligent, very humble ... God listens to his prayers. I've heard a few stories [/quote]

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/woot.gif[/img] I met Fr. Landry!!!! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/yahoo.gif[/img] I know that other person on here that knows him. Fr. Landry is awesome!! I found him very intelligent and reverent. His homilies were incredible. His councel in confession was the second best I've ever had -- just so much advice!! He used to write latin documents for the Vatican in Rome, as I recall him saying. Love that Priest.

Edited by JoyfulLife

lookingforfaith

I have heard of him, but I do not believe I have ever had the chance to meet him. I would love to though!!

My very good friend MJ. She has been an amazing youth leader/my second mother for years. She is the holiest woman I have ever met with her simple, steadfast faith.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='lookingforfaith' date='08 August 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1281313813' post='2154366']
I have heard of him, but I do not believe I have ever had the chance to meet him. I would love to though!!

My very good friend MJ. She has been an amazing youth leader/my second mother for years. She is the holiest woman I have ever met with her simple, steadfast faith.
[/quote]

I can think of two. The first is Indwelling Trinity, who has taught me what it is like to be both wise, and humble, and trust the Lord, but yet be confident enough to admit when things are difficult or hard for her.

The other is my buddy Sister Helen across the street. No one would notice her but me, but after 60 years in religious life, she and God are very good friends. Even my non-Christian mother, after talking to Sister Helen for 10 minutes, told me that Sister Helen is the closest we will know to a saint on earth.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='08 August 2010 - 05:36 PM' timestamp='1281303413' post='2154285']
Fr. Roger Landry, a diocesan priest in Massachusetts. He is a living Saint!! I think there is a PMer here who also knows him, and she can definitely attest to what I mean! Very holy, very knowledgeable, extremely intelligent, very humble ... God listens to his prayers. I've heard a few stories regarding him ... he blames it on other Saints, but then again ... St. John Vianney "blamed" his miracles on St. Philomena! ;)
[/quote]

I second this.

The Holy Spirit is alive in him beyond measure. I will forever be indebted to his wise words of counsel.

I wish there were more priests like him. He is a man truly in love with his vocation, and with Christ and Our Lady. God bless him!

OnlySunshine

I really love our new parish pastor. He is from Poland and he is amazing! He's very big on promoting vocations to the priesthood. His homilies are inspirational. :)

LoveConquersAll

There are several future priests that I know who are just surrounded by holiness and humility...it is awesome. They also know how to have fun--if you're from the Philadelphia/DC/Baltimore-ish area, you'll remember the ginormous snow storm this past winter, and a few of them jumped over my head into some snow drifts. They're great :D I also know a priest who was just ordained whose story is along that of Fr. Corapi. He's also very saintly.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='09 August 2010 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1281376961' post='2154713']
Pope Benedict 16 :twothumbsup:
Fulton Sheen
Mother Angelica
[/quote]

AMEN!!!

:clapping:

Father Van Isacker. He is a Belgian Jesuit priest who has recently turned 97 and he has a chapel where he celebrates the traditional Mass exclusively. To me he is a very saintly figure. His health has been less good recently, though. So he could use prayer.

The 24th of august it will be his jubileum of 65 years in the sacred priesthood.

Edited by Bennn

LadyOfSorrows

I'd have to say Fr. Thomas Dubay. I had the chance to get spiritual direction from him this summer. I've seen him in prayer. Oh how I'd love to know his thoughts! He's an expert on contemplative prayer. He is SO humble.

And as LoveConquersAll said, there are plenty of very holy priests and future priests at the seminary on our campus....even if they do do silly things like pouring snow down your jacket, etc..

JMJ
The Polish priest who gave my sister her first Communion
The Cambodian monsignor at the National Shrine
A priest who if I put his name here he would shoot me and no longer be saintly :-D
A deceased Sister of Charity who was the definition of radiant Bride of Christ
A Russian priest who is living out his priesthood in his country, please pray for him

[quote name='LadyOfSorrows' date='10 August 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1281481852' post='2155508']
I'd have to say Fr. Thomas Dubay. I had the chance to get spiritual direction from him this summer. I've seen him in prayer. Oh how I'd love to know his thoughts! He's an expert on contemplative prayer. He is SO humble. [/quote]

Oh wow, that's great! I'm sure he helped you a lot with your discernment! :pray: