An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Sisters Of Mercy

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

Does anyone know about the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI? Someone suggested I look into them before I end my discernment completely since they have a medical apostolate and may be more understanding of my chronic illness. I've emailed them but I have yet to get a response. :blush:

I've been on a discernment weekend with them, and even though I figured out pretty early on in the experience that it wasn't for me, I only have good things to say about them. Their Motherhouse was just bursting with energy, liturgies were extremely reverent, and the sisters were very approachable, open, and had a great sense of humor. I've always had semi-quick responses from Sr. Catherine Marie (she's the vocation director for where I'm from - I'm not sure if they have different sisters working in vocations by region). I would just keep holding out for a response via email. I do know that it's a busy time for them - 1st Profession is next weekend :rolleyes: So maybe that has something to do with the slow response. I know I'm always terribly impatient with hearing back from communities. I think it's because I get so nervous and excited after those initial contacts that I just compulsively check my inbox until I hear from them. Just keep asking God to help you out in the "patiently waiting" department and I'll say an extra prayer for you too.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='frassati' date='08 August 2010 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1281324610' post='2154479']
I've been on a discernment weekend with them, and even though I figured out pretty early on in the experience that it wasn't for me, I only have good things to say about them. Their Motherhouse was just bursting with energy, liturgies were extremely reverent, and the sisters were very approachable, open, and had a great sense of humor. I've always had semi-quick responses from Sr. Catherine Marie (she's the vocation director for where I'm from - I'm not sure if they have different sisters working in vocations by region). I would just keep holding out for a response via email. I do know that it's a busy time for them - 1st Profession is next weekend :rolleyes: So maybe that has something to do with the slow response. I know I'm always terribly impatient with hearing back from communities. I think it's because I get so nervous and excited after those initial contacts that I just compulsively check my inbox until I hear from them. Just keep asking God to help you out in the "patiently waiting" department and I'll say an extra prayer for you too.
[/quote]

Ok, that's good to know. With some communities I've contacted in the past by email, I have not received a response from them until I called, so I wondered if I should call them, but I'll wait a while longer since they are probably preparing for the Profession ceremony. Thanks for the information! :)

she_who_is_not

We have 4 of these sisters in our diocese. I see them at morning mass, but have never gotten up the nerve to go and talk to them. Even after the VD of another order [i][/i]strongly[i][/i] suggested I introduce myself. I think two of the sisters in our diocese are mental health counselors and one who just left was a psychiatrist.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='09 August 2010 - 04:03 PM' timestamp='1281384206' post='2154793']
Ok, that's good to know. With some communities I've contacted in the past by email, I have not received a response from them until I called, so I wondered if I should call them, but I'll wait a while longer since they are probably preparing for the Profession ceremony. Thanks for the information! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

You're welcome :) And yes, I'd say maybe give them a week or so, but listen to what your heart and instincts are telling you about maybe making that phone call too!

About a month and half ago I contacted an order that wasn't online and they prefered initial contact to be made via mail and then they follow up with a phone call to you. I was ridiculously impatient and excited to get that phone call. I think I kept my cell by me at all times for about a week or so... then I realized that this might take a little longer than I expected. I wanted to call them so badly and kept half-convincing myself that my request was lost in the mail or something. But I kept trying to have patience and tell God that I'd let him take the reins on this one (and practically speaking, there was no huge rush). After 3 or 4 weeks I finally just decided one day that I couldn't wait any longer. On my lunch break I pulled up the number for the vocation director from their website and wrote it down on a post-it note with the full intention of calling her that afternoon. Probably an hour later my phone rang and guess who it was?? Gotta love that Divine Irony!