An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Phatmass Postulants

IgnatiusofLoyola

i was there! It was a short, simple ceremony but very nice :) Alrichey had so many people come that the sisters moved us to our own room for the reception :)

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1284401743' post='2172668']
The veils look just like the Alma Mercies. How DO they keep them on their heads?
[/quote]

Hmmm. I am now remembering that when I was a kid I could never tolerate having my hair pulled back in a headband. The pressure by the ears always gave me a headache. It could be wide, it could be narrow, it didn't matter, I couldn't handle any of them.

So clearly if I were to seek to enter religious life the veils that have a wire or something in front that holds the veil on would be right out. Headaches for the rest of my life? No thank you.

My options would be:

1. No habit (or potentially a community that has a habit but no veil).
2. FULL ON OLD SCHOOL VEIL where it gets attached to a cap.

That would give me quite a divergent list of communites! I'm sure the conversations with the Vocation Directors would be fascinating and highly amusing. :crazy:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1284402563' post='2172671']
Hmmm. I am now remembering that when I was a kid I could never tolerate having my hair pulled back in a headband. The pressure by the ears always gave me a headache. It could be wide, it could be narrow, it didn't matter, I couldn't handle any of them.

So clearly if I were to seek to enter religious life the veils that have a wire or something in front that holds the veil on would be right out. Headaches for the rest of my life? No thank you.

My options would be:

1. No habit (or potentially a community that has a habit but no veil).
2. FULL ON OLD SCHOOL VEIL where it gets attached to a cap.

That would give me quite a divergent list of communites! I'm sure the conversations with the Vocation Directors would be fascinating and highly amusing. :crazy:
[/quote]

Maybe those on Phatmass who wore such a veil or who currently wear such a veil can speak to this.

I haven't seen Sister Helen in awhile, but if I see her, I'll ask her. (The veil worn by the SCC's has a wire, but I'm not sure exactly how it sits on their head--I've never paid that much attention.) However, from Sister Helen I did learn one potential problem with a veil with a wire. Once, a number of years ago, she was traveling, and the wire in her veil set off the metal detector at the airport. She and I got a big chuckle out of the thought of her as a terrorist. Still, if other Sisters had the same problem, wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the current "wires" are now actually plastic--but I don't know that.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284414210' post='2172726']
Maybe those on Phatmass who wore such a veil or who currently wear such a veil can speak to this.

I haven't seen Sister Helen in awhile, but if I see her, I'll ask her. (The veil worn by the SCC's has a wire, but I'm not sure exactly how it sits on their head--I've never paid that much attention.) However, from Sister Helen I did learn one potential problem with a veil with a wire. Once, a number of years ago, she was traveling, and the wire in her veil set off the metal detector at the airport. She and I got a big chuckle out of the thought of her as a terrorist. Still, if other Sisters had the same problem, wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the current "wires" are now actually plastic--but I don't know that.
[/quote]

I've worn the veil with a wire (a very thin metal head band) for many years. If it is your size you don't even notice that you wear it, and it holds the veil pretty well. But I do wear an ordinary headband underneath too, with clips, and I can pin the veil to that band, which secures the whole thing in place for the whole day because the wire tends to come forward. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img]

And yes, the metal detector at the airports screams like crazy every time. But security personnel know that: the veil, the rosary from my belt, the crucifix around the neck .... They come with the manual detector and check that what is making the alarm sound is what they see. One time a woman officer asked me if she could touch my head with her hands after scanning, so she realized that I had on just what I was saying (the pins and the wire) But no big deal.

I love the veil and feel naked without it. Of course I live in Canada and the weather is just for as many layers of clothing as you can hold on. The habit is absolutely perfect for me, I hide many or few layers underneath and it covers it all [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img]