An Old School Catholic Message Board

Veils And Headaches

TeresaBenedicta

This is a saddening thought, to have pain in wearing a veil... :cry: Ouch.

I think I'd be most concerned with losing my hearing and the pain with wearing glasses. :(

Edited by JoyfulLife

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1284840852' post='2174322']
This is a saddening thought, to have pain in wearing a veil... :cry: Ouch.
I think I'd be most concerned with losing my hearing and the pain with wearing glasses. :(
[/quote]

I obviously have never worn a veil, so have kept quiet in this thread.

But, I wanted to let you know that I truly hope and pray that the veil will only be a source of joy to you in your religious life, and will not cause you to hear less well or have pain when wearing glasses.

I'm always bringing up my friend Sister Helen, because she is the only religious Sister I know in real life, although, through Phatmass, I am beginning to come to know other religious Sisters and nuns, and those about to enter religious life. Sister Helen is in her early 80's, and she wears glasses, and her veil appears to cause her no discomfort with her glasses. And, although she wears a veil over her ears, her hearing is better than that of both my parents, who are of a similar age. I don't know if Sister Helen had a temporary adjustment period at first ('ve never asked), but it appears that the veil, at least for her, did not cause problems long-term.

My hope for you is that there is no period of adjustment--that the veil only brings you happiness, from the first moment it is given to you.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

I agree that it is definitely the ears that hurt when wearing a modified veil. I almost never notice anything now unless I have it on too tight, but when I first received my veil it really bothered me. Now I cut my headband so that it doesn't poke my ears but stops further towards the top of my head. I can hear, but when I want my students to speak up so everyone can hear them, I say, "I'm sorry my veil must be too tight... what did you say?!" and they think its is pretty funny! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img]