An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Prioress And Newsletter From Summit Dominicans

IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

There are several of us who are quite fond of the soaps and hand cremes of the Dominican nuns of Summit, NJ. Because I love their soaps so much, I have become very interested in their community, and regularly read their blog. This latest blog contains at least two items of great interest.

The first is that they have elected a new Prioress to serve for 3 years--Sister Denise Marie.:yahoo:

Those of you who know me well will understand why I am so excited about this--especially her name. :like:

The blog also contains a link to the Community's latest newsletter. Although we seem to hear most often about the novitiate, the Community has a number of nuns who we don't hear as much about, but whom, I'm sure, are very important to the community. The newletter talks about the 50th Jubilee celebration of one of those nuns, and another who died recently. There is also more information about the Community's two new postulants.

Here is the link to the blog. Scroll down a bit for the newsletter. [url="http://www.monialesop.org/"]monialesop.org/[/url]

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1285097939' post='2175129']
There are several of us who are quite fond of the soaps and hand cremes of the Dominican nuns of Summit, NJ. Because I love their soaps so much, I have become very interested in their community, and regularly read their blog. This latest blog contains at least two items of great interest.

The first is that they have elected a new Prioress to serve for 3 years--Sister Denise Marie.:yahoo:

Those of you who know me well will understand why I am so excited about this--especially her name. :like:

The blog also contains a link to the Community's latest newsletter. Although we seem to hear most often about the novitiate, the Community has a number of nuns who we don't hear as much about, but whom, I'm sure, are very important to the community. The newletter talks about the 50th Jubilee celebration of one of those nuns, and another who died recently. There is also more information about the Community's two new postulants.

Here is the link to the blog. Scroll down a bit for the newsletter. [url="http://www.monialesop.org/"]monialesop.org/[/url]
[/quote]

One thing that I didn't notice until after I posted this. And, I'm probably the only one who would notice (or even care), but I'll mention it anyway.

There is a picture of the new Prioress for the Summit Dominican, with the local bishop, who presided over the election, and Sister Joanne Bednar, SCC, who is identified as "Delegate for Religious." I confess, I'm not sure of Sister Joanne's role in this process as "Delegate for Religious," but what caught my eye is that she is a member of the Sisters of Christian Charity (not to be confused with the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity).

The Sisters of Christian Charity have been discussed here on VS in a couple of threads, and I have often talked about them as "my" Sisters or "the Sisters across the street." I live near the Western province of the Order, but the Eastern province of the Order is located in new Jersey very near the Summit Dominicans.

Personally, I was very pleased to see that a member of a non-cloistered community that wears a modified habit (but still a "real" habit and veil, and not simply laypersons' clothes with a small pin), and is not Dominican, was part of the election as Delegate for Religious. I like the fact that, although the Summit Dominicans are cloistered, and lead a life dedicated to prayer as their apostolate, a non-cloistered, non-Dominican, but equally orthodox Sister, played a part in their election process. Both cloistered and non-cloistered religious serve God, but in different ways. I'm sure that since the Summit Dominicans are cloistered, this is not a usual occurrence, but I was pleased that it happened at all.

I know that other cloistered Orders and Communities follow different rules for enclosure.

But, personally, I like seeing Sisters and nuns of different Orders extending their "Sisterhood" beyond their own Community and Order, since, despite differences in apostolate, they have all dedicated their lives to God.

And, I like finding "my" Sisters in unexpected places. :joecool:

Ignatius, I agree with you. I like the idea of communities interacting and assisting each other. Brings fresh air and extra perspective to things. I think it was useful for the PCPA's in Alabama to have a Benedictine, for instance, as their administrator when they needed to reassess some things.

That Summit newsletter WAS a particularly good one. The 50th Jubilee article was inspiring, and its nice to see that the sisters received a grant to continue making their excellent soaps. I just bought the hand soap recently and really like it.

Summit is one of the monasteries that gives me hope for the future of religious life and esp. monasticism. They seem to have a good novice mistress and an exciting influx of young women trying their vocation, and a very healthy balance of work, prayer, study and fun. The latest postulant is 40 years old, so they seem willing to look at individuals AS individuals. The next big event seems to be the first profession of Sr. Maria Teresa of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, which should interest PM'ers, as she used to be one!

Enjoyed reading the newsletter---but it has occurred to me that I haven't seen the other sister in temporary vows for a while--(Sister Diana, I think)--I hope she is still there, I just thought it unusual that she wasn't in the most recent novitiate photo.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='stlmom' timestamp='1285180366' post='2175329']
Enjoyed reading the newsletter---but it has occurred to me that I haven't seen the other sister in temporary vows for a while--(Sister Diana, I think)--I hope she is still there, I just thought it unusual that she wasn't in the most recent novitiate photo.
[/quote]

I don't know the answer for sure--but I do have a picture of the entire community from Summit Dominicans' spring newsletter, and she is in that picture.

My understanding (and I may have this wrong) is that in the Summit Dominicans, in her last year before taking solemn vows, a nun moves from the novitiate and into the regular community--and I think it's just about time for her solemn vows. I haven't seen a published date yet, but I am expecting to see a date scheduled for her solemn vows sometime within the next year.

If someone knows more, or if any of my information is wrong, please speak up or correct me.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1285193501' post='2175356']
I don't know the answer for sure--but I do have a picture of the entire community from Summit Dominicans' spring newsletter, and she is in that picture.

My understanding (and I may have this wrong) is that in the Summit Dominicans, in her last year before taking solemn vows, a nun moves from the novitiate and into the regular community--and I think it's just about time for her solemn vows. I haven't seen a published date yet, but I am expecting to see a date scheduled for her solemn vows sometime within the next year.

If someone knows more, or if any of my information is wrong, please speak up or correct me.
[/quote]

I believe that sister was supposed to go into the regular community soon, but she left during the summertime; she was having serious back and health problems.

[quote name='DameAgnes' timestamp='1285200811' post='2175369']
I believe that sister was supposed to go into the regular community soon, but she left during the summertime; she was having serious back and health problems.
[/quote]

Oh, I was afraid she might have left.

Although, DameAgnes, I must ask. How are you so up-to-date on the status of every monastery in the world???

It is truly impressive.

[/quote]

That really is a shame. I remember watching her first profession on YouTube. :(

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1285219159' post='2175426']
That really is a shame. I remember watching her first profession on YouTube. :(
[/quote]

No its not. There's nothing shameful about it. At all.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1285243811' post='2175436']
No its not. There's nothing shameful about it. At all.
[/quote]

I don't mean it was shameful that she left, I just think it's sad in a way. Obviously, it was God's will that she enter back into the world. I'm sure the Sisters miss her a lot. Some are just not meant to stay. For whatever reason, I'm sure she gained a wonderful experience. :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[/quote]

Thank-you for the update and correction of my post. I'm very sorry to hear about the Sister's serious back and health problems. Although I think that the life of a cloistered nun is sometimes viewed as "easier" than that of an active Sister, it isn't at all. I'm sure God has wonderful plans for the Sister, but I'm sure her leaving was difficult for both her and the community. They will both be in my prayers.

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1285212691' post='2175412']
Oh, I was afraid she might have left.

Although, DameAgnes, I must ask. How are you so up-to-date on the status of every monastery in the world???

It is truly impressive.
[/quote]

I am a person who needs a lot of prayers, so I have lots of nuns and monk friends! :-)

Not "every monastery in the world," though.

For instance, I heard there might be a postulant at the Dominican OP's in Springfield MA, but haven't confirmed it. Anyone know?