An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Word Of Encouragement

MissScripture

ameliabedelia

i was at the motherhouse this weekend for a retreat and i met your sister! i walked around the rosary walk with her and another postulant for a little while. All the postulants seem so happy and full of joy and excitement. your sister was really excited that i was the same age as her and discerning lol. the best part was when i got there the postulants were playing hide and seek except they were in groups of 2 tied together by their shoe laces and one of them was "blind" and had to keep their eyes closed! lol

*im not a creeper i just know who your sister is bc you pointed her out in one of the pics* lol

MissScripture

[quote name='ameliabedelia' timestamp='1286218114' post='2177823']
i was at the motherhouse this weekend for a retreat and i met your sister! i walked around the rosary walk with her and another postulant for a little while. All the postulants seem so happy and full of joy and excitement. your sister was really excited that i was the same age as her and discerning lol. the best part was when i got there the postulants were playing hide and seek except they were in groups of 2 tied together by their shoe laces and one of them was "blind" and had to keep their eyes closed! lol

*im not a creeper i just know who your sister is bc you pointed her out in one of the pics* lol
[/quote]
Don't worry, you're not the first PM-er to meet her there. ;) Did you tell her you knew me from PM?

ameliabedelia

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1286223026' post='2177832']
Don't worry, you're not the first PM-er to meet her there. ;) Did you tell her you knew me from PM?
[/quote]

no i didnt i thought it was her but i wasnt sure until i came home and checked

MissScripture

[quote name='ameliabedelia' timestamp='1286224461' post='2177839']
no i didnt i thought it was her but i wasnt sure until i came home and checked
[/quote]
Yeah, I suppose it would've been weird if it weren't her to say, "Hey! Are you MissScripture's sister?!?" rotfl

Thanks for your thoughts, Iggy. As I've said - this discernment stuff is kinda new for me - I'm still feeling my way forward and am still a bit rattled by the bad convent visit I had a few months ago. Frankly, I wouldn't have really picked the NDs but my SD keeps going back to them and encouraging me to get to know them better, so in the spirit of obedience..... Also, the NDs seem so vibrant and alive and such a wonderful and true sisterhood that I feel drawn to them. The community I am principally interested in is the Apostles of Jesus - I think they are a better fit for me for many reasons - some of which you mentioned. I am corresponding with about a dozen communities and have made no decisions although I would like to apply for admission next August but we will see where the spirit guides. Ultimately, this will require a leap of faith and I am not naturally that kind of person. So I will proceed as I have been and rely on my SD for guidance. He is a really good guy so I trust him. I appreciate all the feedback I get from my new VS friends - you have all been so nice both in the phorum and by PM. I guess I'm a little jealous that MS's sister gets to do what I long to do. I keep telling myself - good things come to those who wait.

ameliabedelia

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1286224898' post='2177840']
Yeah, I suppose it would've been weird if it weren't her to say, "Hey! Are you MissScripture's sister?!?" rotfl
[/quote]

exactly. especially if it wasn't her..that would take a lot of explaining!! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/hehe.gif[/img]

ameliabedelia

The other postulant i talked to said that she has only sent 3 letters to her family but she can already see their relationship changing and getting deeper and stronger and this has all been in only 7 weeks!

Edited by ameliabedelia

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1286144320' post='2177689']
It's funny, if I had my fantasy community, it would almost be like a "religious community lite." Obviously, most communities have lay associates, or oblates (there are a variety of names). But, associates continue to live in their own homes and lead their regular life. What I yearn for is community, and lay religious communities don't have this. I'd love to have a community that had a more active religious life than the one I had now, but not so strict as the horarium of every religious community I've ever read about. Obviously, in any community, you have responsibilities to others and can't just go off and do whatever you want, but, within reason, I'd want to be able to call or email, or go home if my parents died or were seriously ill. It might not be reasonable to go to the wedding of every cousin, but weddings of brothers and sisters and close relatives.
[/quote]

This will vary so much from community to community. A friend of mine from college just made her perpetual profession on Saturday -- she can do all these things.

Now, she's a high school teacher and has a very limited number of personal days during the school year and can't just pick up and go willy nilly -- but that's the case for ANY high school teacher (if anything she gets significantly more leeway than most because she has a chunk of obligations for her religious community).

There may have been some restrictions on email, etc., but not to the extent I didn't ever get prompt responses to any of my missives about this that or the other thing. (And if I find out later that she is more restricted than I realized and used one of her few opportunities for correspondence to answer my questions about 'WHAT is UP with those gargantuan sleeves on the monastic cowls???" then I'm going to feel really really bad ...) Maybe it was different during her canonical novitiate year, but that only lasts a year. But generally there seemed to be a whole lot of freedom for such things.

(I did, however, realize that she wrote me a long and beautiful discussion of the vow of obedience -- the day after she chaperoned prom!!! Oh my. This should be noted when her cause for canonization comes up.)

But for major family events, yes she seems to be involved in all of them. Sometimes there may be competing obligations, with significant events going on at the monastery simultaneously, but that's the same sort of conflict that anyone is likely to have.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1286239940' post='2177891']
This will vary so much from community to community. A friend of mine from college just made her perpetual profession on Saturday -- she can do all these things.

Now, she's a high school teacher and has a very limited number of personal days during the school year and can't just pick up and go willy nilly -- but that's the case for ANY high school teacher (if anything she gets significantly more leeway than most because she has a chunk of obligations for her religious community).

There may have been some restrictions on email, etc., but not to the extent I didn't ever get prompt responses to any of my missives about this that or the other thing. (And if I find out later that she is more restricted than I realized and used one of her few opportunities for correspondence to answer my questions about 'WHAT is UP with those gargantuan sleeves on the monastic cowls???" then I'm going to feel really really bad ...) Maybe it was different during her canonical novitiate year, but that only lasts a year. But generally there seemed to be a whole lot of freedom for such things.

(I did, however, realize that she wrote me a long and beautiful discussion of the vow of obedience -- the day after she chaperoned prom!!! Oh my. This should be noted when her cause for canonization comes up.)

But for major family events, yes she seems to be involved in all of them. Sometimes there may be competing obligations, with significant events going on at the monastery simultaneously, but that's the same sort of conflict that anyone is likely to have.
[/quote]

Wow! Chaperoning prom! That is a true mortification! (And I'm not kidding. I can't believe that any teacher chaperons prom who isn't under a vow of obedience. I suspect they only do it because they need their job very badly. But, somehow, I suspect that a habited Sister would make an excellent prom chaperon.)

MissScripture

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1286247313' post='2177899']
Wow! Chaperoning prom! That is a true mortification! (And I'm not kidding. I can't believe that any teacher chaperons prom who isn't under a vow of obedience. I suspect they only do it because they need their job very badly. But, somehow, I suspect that a habited Sister would make an excellent prom chaperon.)
[/quote]
IF I WERE A HABITED SISTER CHAPERONING PROM I WOULD SO GO AROUND TELLING EVERYONE "LEAVE ROOM FOR JESUS!" rotfl :lol: rotfl

Edited by MissScripture

Trust me, it is NO FUN to chaperon a high school dance. I avoided it for my first 6 years of teaching, mostly. A few years, I even chaperoned AFTER prom in the middle of the night, because I knew there would be no dancing and thus no shenanigans there.

But I had to last year, and it is mortifying to walk up to a student that you saw in class earlier that day and tap them on the shoulder to cut it out.

Where 'it' is all manner of stuff you [i]don't[/i] want me to describe here.

I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for me to pay to watch underage kids do some of the things they are doing, but strangely enough, it's part of my job to watch them.

UGH. [i]*shudder*[/i]

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1286247888' post='2177904']
IF I WERE A HABITED SISTER CHAPERONING PROM I WOULD SO GO AROUND TELLING EVERYONE "LEAVE ROOM FOR JESUS!" rotfl :lol: rotfl
[/quote]

Leave room for the Holy Ghost!!

In eight years (when, God willing, I'll be a professed sister), I will totally do this. Sisters can do anything!

:dance:

[/quote]

YEEESSSSS!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1286150955' post='2177702']
:rolleyes: :P

Well, the best part is, like, what did they want ME to do about it? Even if I hadn't liked her decision, it's not like I could do anything to stop her! :rolleyes: People are weird.

[/quote]

Oh come on youre SUPPOSED to stop her! 18 almost 19 thats too young to be sooo holy! :P

franciscanheart

[/quote]
My old religion teacher (and my sister's old homeroom/religion teacher) used to remind us (very regularly) to leave room for the Holy Spirit. ;)