An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Questions

1catholic

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1287708402' post='2181480']
and she lives north of me. :unsure:
[/quote]

Yes I do but that does not mean you can blame ALL the cold winter weather patterns on me! Just some of them :P

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1287724811' post='2181533']

I'm pretty sure there are a few Sisters from Canada in Valparaiso. I know for sure Mother Stella-Marie in Elysburg now is Canadian anyway.

[/quote]

:o :dance:

[quote name='LadyOfSorrows' timestamp='1287724884' post='2181534']
Vee, the Prioress at Buffalo is actually Canadian! It reminded me to pray for you. :-)
[/quote]
Aaaaaw thanks I really need all the prayers I can get! :)
And whats this ANOTHER Canadian prioress?!?!?! So does that mean we make good prioreseseses??? I know I would not cus Id go POWER HUNGRY :woot: :paperbag:

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1287744421' post='2181550']
Oh IGGY... You have no idea how close you are !!! She didn't ask for Pizza... but she DID ask for donuts! LOL. It cracked Reverend Mother up! rotfl. And to think that some poor VS nun is perpetually guilty of being now associated with Vee's name ..... She must be either nuts or a masochist ! :crazy: :wall:

I think you have the gift of prophesy Iggy! :clapping:
[/quote]

For the record I also mentioned pie! :getaclue: Sheesh keep your desserts straight! And I didnt ASK ask I merely suggested that along with the harsh life of prayer and penance it might be nice to have a donut once in a while, or some pie. :eat: As for the poor VS nun who is currentlhy associated with my name if we are voting on whether or not she is nuts or a masochist or both my vote is for NUTS!!!! Definitely NUTS!

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1287706733' post='2181465']
Personally, I'd call that, not quite a "red flag," but definitely odd. Not being a discerner myself, maybe people have heard stranger things from Communities so this didn't strike them as odd.
[/quote]

Like Vee, I once wrote to a Carmel in the States, California, and I too was told to look closer to home first. In some ways, I think the Lord was at work, because as I've grown older I realize it would be very hard to adjust to American culture (I have some very Canadian beliefs that would probably be a tough pill to swallow if I were in the States.) Granted, if the Lord calls me to a monastery [i]anywhere[/i] I'd go, but right now, I think that a Carmel in Canada is where the Lord would be calling. I think some of the Carmel which are "special", although I don't like the term, would be more willing to accept candidates from anywhere. The Valpaisaiso Carmel is special as well as Elysburg as being one of very few traditional Carmels. The nuns know this and know that some women are called to this. The same goes for any other Carmel that tends to be a bit "unique" whatever that may be. IMHO, I think some Carmels don't want to deal with th immigration, and some don't want people just because they know they're "unique" but because the women is really called to that place (I'm not making any inference to anyone here, btw.) I think sometimes they also don't want to "steal" vocations from another monastery. However, some are of the opinion that the Lord not only calls a Carmelite, but He calls her to a specific monastery, and sometimes that monastery isn't necessarily our first choice :)

Hope that all makes sense, I just wanted to get that out there.

[quote name='1catholic' timestamp='1286760476' post='2179018']
Does anyone know anything about these carmelite nuns in mn?
-Still true to rule, still getting new members, orthodox, true to pope, anything else helpful?

Discalced Carmelite Nuns /C
8251 De Montreville Trail North
Lake Elmo - MN 55042-9547
U.S.A.
(651) 7773882

Same questions for this 1

Monastery of the
Holy Name of Jesus
6100 Pepper Road
Denmark, WI 54208
(già New Franken) U.S.A.
(920) 863-5055
Fax 920-863-3007
carmel@pngusa.net

If you wanted to contact them about vocations what do you say?

Is college recommended?

Dowry?

Vocation steps, Ive seen the Poor Clare's of Perpetual Adoration's vocation steps but I was wondering the specifics for the carmelites.

THanks so much :D
[/quote]

I am very familiar with the Denmark, WI Carmelites, if you have specific questions, private message me.

If I had to venture to guess the questions and concerns with vee in Canada with the Denmark, WI Carmelites probably was immigration questions and concerns and unfamiliarity with that procedure.

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1287724811' post='2181533']
Also, I like that it's hard to find anything on them (the nuns) online. I think that's a good sign personally :like: They are very hidden :ninja: .. :paperbag: .. :smile2:
[/quote]

haha ya i was thinking the same thing...as inconvenient as it might be @ the time :D