An Old School Catholic Message Board

Red Rose/ White Rose And Discernment- Help!

Shana

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1287679702' post='2181342']
I also sincerely think that is has to do with my difficulty in making decisions. Both my sister and I are the sort of people you hate to go out with to a restaurant. We take FOREVER to decide something as simple as what we want to eat, partially because we have to consider every aspect --like, how much it will cost, each of the other options, etc, etc. So, when it comes to bigger decisions, we thoroughly research everything, possibly too much. And end up sitting around weighing our options forever! God, of course, knows this, and so when we ask Him to help out, He probably realizes that if He doesn't, He'll be sitting around waiting for us to decide for the next six centuries, and so He's like, "Okay, *sign* THERE YOU GO! Now get on with it!" :hehe:

And, like I said, if it were something small, out of the blue, I would be very wary about it, but all of the signs I've had have come after specifically asking for one (similar to someone asking for a rose), and with a sense of assurance. For example, if someone hadn't been praying about recieving a rose, and they happened across a rose, I wouldn't view that as a sign of anything.
[/quote]

I think I'm very similar in my "decision-making"! It takes me so long to even pick a restaurant!

And I agree that signs can be very helpful. They are also usually so specific to the person that they might seem ridiculous or impossible to anyone else, but to that person, they make perfect sense. I think there are many examples of this in the lives of the Saints. A sign can just be a starting point, too - a hint in the right direction. Like Deus_te_Amat pointed out, you have to go further into discernment to get more details.

But you do have to be careful or else you end up seeing everything as a sign! That's just as bad as over-researching :nerd: :blink: