An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ssvm First Professions

TeresaBenedicta

TeresaBenedicta

Just a note that 10 [url="www.ssvmusa.org"]SSVM[/url] Novices will be making their First Professions tomorrow morning at the National Shrine in Washington DC. 10 AM Mass in the Crypt. If you're in the area, definitely go!! I have a good friend professing!!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1287887884' post='2181972']
Just a note that 10 [url="www.ssvmusa.org"]SSVM[/url] Novices will be making their First Professions tomorrow morning at the National Shrine in Washington DC. 10 AM Mass in the Crypt. If you're in the area, definitely go!! I have a good friend professing!!
[/quote]

Awesome! I met some of the novices during my retreat in Feb. (this year it was at the novitiate house) :)

Great to hear about! Looking forward to seeing the pictures! Seriously, I think if I felt the Lord was calling me to the active/contemplative religious life, they'd be the first ones I'd be visiting. They seem very Carmelite some how. Maybe it's their blue scapulars :proud: Anyway, they just seem so alive and in love Jesus and Mary! :nun1:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1287942463' post='2182073']
Great to hear about! Looking forward to seeing the pictures! Seriously, I think if I felt the Lord was calling me to the active/contemplative religious life, they'd be the first ones I'd be visiting. [b]They seem very Carmelite some how.[/b] Maybe it's their blue scapulars :proud: Anyway, they just seem so alive and in love Jesus and Mary! :nun1:
[/quote]

Funny you should say that! They kind of are-- they're very Carmelite in their spirituality and very Dominican in their intellectual formation!

I'm so excited for my friend (and of course the other nine as well)!! I wish I could've been there...

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='coralieprincess' timestamp='1287953104' post='2182138']
I went there!! Just got back! :like3: :w00t: :clap: :clap: It was soooo wonderful! I went last year as well (my friend Sr. Porta Coeli made her first vows then!), these are just beautiful ceremonies. :nun2: :nun2: I love the SSVM and was discerning with them for awhile; now, however, I feel more called to the Dominicans, especially the DSMME's. But I still have a great fondness for the SSVM and have befriended quite a few of them. :nun3:

cmariadiaz - I was at that retreat!! I'm not sure if you remember me, I was the tall blonde girl? I ended up leaving halfway through the retreat, however, because... it just didn't go well for me. :(
[/quote]

You went?!!! Ahhhh, I'm so jealous!!!

I was at last year's profession, too!! Sadly, I'm living on the other side of the country this year.

Did you go to the celebration after?!

:clapping:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='coralieprincess' timestamp='1287954034' post='2182144']
I went to the reception last year, but today I was feeling a bit tired (didn't get much sleep last night) so I decided to just go home because last year, it ended pretty late.

Hey, aren't you entering this order? :)
[/quote]

I really wanted to go to the reception last year, but the group I came with had to get back to school.

:saint: God-willing. Everything's all set... once I take care of my student loans....

[quote name='coralieprincess' timestamp='1287953104' post='2182138']
I went there!! Just got back! :like3: :w00t: :clap: :clap: It was soooo wonderful! I went last year as well (my friend Sr. Porta Coeli made her first vows then!), these are just beautiful ceremonies. :nun2: :nun2: I love the SSVM and was discerning with them for awhile; now, however, I feel more called to the Dominicans, especially the DSMME's. But I still have a great fondness for the SSVM and have befriended quite a few of them. :nun3:

cmariadiaz - I was at that retreat!! I'm not sure if you remember me, I was the tall blonde girl? I ended up leaving halfway through the retreat, however, because... it just didn't go well for me. :(
[/quote]

I came all the way from Jersey (one of the older ones doing the retreat). I had the curly hair. On the pudgy side :) Give the retreat a chance next year though ... it can be tough to do a silent retreat if you're not used to it but once you get through the 1st one the next ones are fine.

[quote name='coralieprincess' timestamp='1287962045' post='2182170']
I *think* I remember you... sort of... :unsure: I sometimes don't really pay attention to other people when I'm on retreats. :sweat:

I've actually done a silent retreat before when I was at school, but it wasn't a St. Ignatius one. The silence wasn't a problem - I tend to be silent on normal days, ha! I was just really disturbed/turned off by the Exercises themselves. Especially the meditation on Hell, and when Fr. Samuel was telling us to see ourselves as "a sore and an ulcer, poisoned by our sins". It was all just so negative and emotionally draining, all the focus on sin and how awful we are. I was really traumatized by it all, so I left.

I do want to try the retreat again, but perhaps not with the IVE. There's a retreat center near where I live that does these retreats, and the people I've spoken to who went on them all had really positive experiences. So maybe it just depends on the priest. I'll try it again and see how it goes.
[/quote]

That's ok you don't remember me ... I don't really remember you for the same reasons :). There are two people that I remember ... and I should remember the third (the 3rd woman in my room I don't remember) :(. I also sat kind of in the back ... (for once I figured the youngins should get the front haha).

Actually Fr. Samuel's meditation was kind of tame :). I've heard stronger ones. You just need to remember that its just the beginning -- Ignatian retreats first start with the principle and foundation, and then focus on sin. Followed by Jesus' ministry, and passion (note that I'm not specifying things exactly -- there's the p&f followed by 4 weeks with particular themes). If you look at the actual book (what was being followed) you get a sense of what St. Ignatius wanted.

Looking at our sin isn't a bad thing. The good thing is taking that and turning it into action -- into the desire to change and to be more Christ like. And ... you don't stay there simply looking at our sin :).

I suspect it was simply not the right time for such a retreat :). I hold a lot of love towards the IVE fathers -- they know the community that I had been with in Argentina and they helped put things into proper perspective during both retreats.

Blessings! Maybe things will work out such that I'll see you at the next retreat in Feb? :)

Edited by cmariadiaz

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1288039454' post='2182475']
Did somebody say St Ignatius???? :woot: :love: :crusader:
[/quote]

The IVE, both Sisters and Priests, are big into the Spiritual Excercises :) They host the Excercises for lay people throughout the year, and each sister also goes on a one-week Excercises retreat once per year, and every ten years each sister goes on the full month of Excercises.