An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bernie Becomes A Nun

LaPetiteSoeur

LaPetiteSoeur

Has anyone ever read this book? I found it in my church's library when i was cleaning it out. My pastor said I could keep it! Such an awesome book. If the Maryknoll sisters ever went habited, the NDs may have some competition.

Also, I got to keep "No Two Alike," "Why I entered the Convent," "A Song in My Heart," (This is the sequal to Why I entered), and "A Right to Be Merry."

If you can find any of these books, I highly recommend reading them!

[img]http://anunslife.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/IGF003-PHOTO-bernie-book.jpg[/img]

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61e5PYjVDkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/img]

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xV0Tcb7mL._SL500_SS90_.jpg[/img]

Haven't read it. I can however report that Sister Bernie is still a nun, served as a missioner for over half a century, and I heard an interview with her just the other week!

http://anunslife.org/2010/11/04/igf003/

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

You might be interested to know that [u]Bernie Becomes a Nun[/u] is a very hard to find book and often sells for quite extravagant amounts on Ebay (depending upon the publication date, condition, etc.) . It looks as if you have a very good copy. Depending upon your parish's state of affairs, you might want to make this known to your Pastor in the event your parish is in need of funds and could use the money - most likely he had no idea how valuable this book is.

Unfortunately, most aspirants to religious life have to deal with debt. I don't know your particular situation, but if you were read this lovely book (highly recommended - as are all the others you found!) and then want to auction it, that would be a true gift from God! in helping you with some extra money, but I am sure you would want permission before doing so.

I am blessed in knowing a lovely and dedicated woman who is a "scholar" on religious life. She has made a career of collecting books, literature, etc. throughout the world - I know she has been able to fund her passion in part by selling copies of books (already in her library) on the internet. It seems as if they go to good sources, often Religious who are studying the history of Religious Life or someone else equally respectful.

I just wanted to make sure you realize that this book, in addition to being so wonderful and inspiring, is very rare and valuable. Sadly, sadly, sadly - so many good religious libraries have discarded so much that was considered 'old' or 'out of touch' - when in fact they provided a fabulous look into a part of our history that does indeed seem to be returning. Most of the books that my friend has collected have come from convent libraries.

God allowed your pastor to give you these books for a special reason, and I am so glad you have them! I hope that if you do have debt and are able, this could help you.

If you want my friend's email address, please PM me.

Pax,
TradMom

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='TradMom' timestamp='1290112794' post='2187891']
+Praised be Jesus Christ!

You might be interested to know that [u]Bernie Becomes a Nun[/u] is a very hard to find book and often sells for quite extravagant amounts on Ebay (depending upon the publication date, condition, etc.) . It looks as if you have a very good copy. Depending upon your parish's state of affairs, you might want to make this known to your Pastor in the event your parish is in need of funds and could use the money - most likely he had no idea how valuable this book is.

Unfortunately, most aspirants to religious life have to deal with debt. I don't know your particular situation, but if you were read this lovely book (highly recommended - as are all the others you found!) and then want to auction it, that would be a true gift from God! in helping you with some extra money, but I am sure you would want permission before doing so.

I am blessed in knowing a lovely and dedicated woman who is a "scholar" on religious life. She has made a career of collecting books, literature, etc. throughout the world - I know she has been able to fund her passion in part by selling copies of books (already in her library) on the internet. It seems as if they go to good sources, often Religious who are studying the history of Religious Life or someone else equally respectful.

I just wanted to make sure you realize that this book, in addition to being so wonderful and inspiring, is very rare and valuable. Sadly, sadly, sadly - so many good religious libraries have discarded so much that was considered 'old' or 'out of touch' - when in fact they provided a fabulous look into a part of our history that does indeed seem to be returning. Most of the books that my friend has collected have come from convent libraries.

God allowed your pastor to give you these books for a special reason, and I am so glad you have them! I hope that if you do have debt and are able, this could help you.

If you want my friend's email address, please PM me.

Pax,
TradMom
[/quote]

Unfortunately, the photo is not of my book. My book is missing the dustjacket, and has stains all over it.It belonged to our Catholic School. Our school closed in the 80s, and all of the books have been sitting in a very hot office library for almost thirty years.

Thank you, though, for the ideas! Trust me, if the book was worth anything, my parish would have figured it out. We're in drastic need of money to repair our windows--after 130 years, they need some help. That 'help' is $40,000 A WINDOW.

Dieu vous benisse!

Totally Franciscan

Bernie Becomes a Nun came out when I was discerning religious life at the end of high school, 1964. I just loved it. Lots of photos of Bernie's journey through postulancy, novitiate, and profession and on to mission work. I used to have a copy of it, but don't know what happened to it. It might be packed away in my brother's basement! Will have to see if he will look for it one of these days.

[quote name='Totally Franciscan' timestamp='1290188946' post='2188053']
Bernie Becomes a Nun came out when I was discerning religious life at the end of high school, 1964. I just loved it. Lots of photos of Bernie's journey through postulancy, novitiate, and profession and on to mission work. I used to have a copy of it, but don't know what happened to it. It might be packed away in my brother's basement! Will have to see if he will look for it one of these days.
[/quote]

You know, this is not the first time I've heard about how great this book is, and how hard it is to find, and used copies are HOW many dollars on Amazon???

With the "resurgence of interest in religious life" that everyone keeps talking about, I wonder if Maryknoll might find it worthwhile to re-issue this.

I mean, they DO have a publishing house of their very own.

(Okay, okay, I think technically Orbis Books is run by the priests not the sisters, but still. It would seem to me that the Maryknoll Fathers might be an easier sell than, say, HarperCollins.)

Just thinking out loud ...

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1290189840' post='2188054']
You know, this is not the first time I've heard about how great this book is, and how hard it is to find, and used copies are HOW many dollars on Amazon???

With the "resurgence of interest in religious life" that everyone keeps talking about, I wonder if Maryknoll might find it worthwhile to re-issue this.

I mean, they DO have a publishing house of their very own.

(Okay, okay, I think technically Orbis Books is run by the priests not the sisters, but still. It would seem to me that the Maryknoll Fathers might be an easier sell than, say, HarperCollins.)

Just thinking out loud ...
[/quote]

Oh, with an Afterword by Sister Bernie, who is still alive and still a Maryknoller, although in retirement now after decades of honorable service overseas.

I can see it now.

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1290282099' post='2188226']
Krissylou,

I love your idea! :clapping: Have you looked into the Daughters of St. Paul? You should be in publishing!
[/quote]

Ha! I'm kind of sort of discerning with the Cooperators (their word for their third order -- and a pretty good word it is!)