An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marriage And Religious Life

Tally Marx

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1292799334' post='2193509']
If you feel called to religious life, discern that first.
[/quote]

I totally agree.

I truly believe that if someone even has an inkling toward a religious vocation, they really should focus entirely on that, until they've come to a conclusion (with proper prayer, discernment, and spiritual direction) that they're called to religious life or not.

I come from the perspective of one who was torn between marriage/religious vocation, then seriously discerned a religious vocation, then entered a community, then left, then discovered my vocation to marriage and is happily living it out with a wonderful husband and a beautiful baby boy, thanks be to God. :) But it was EXTREMELY important that when I thought I had a religious vocation, I focused solely on that. Sure, it didn't end up being the vocation God wanted for me, but I can honestly say I have no regrets and because I discerned and entered religious life, it shaped me into the woman I am today.

I think perhaps people avoid discerning like that because they're afraid they'll be called to religious life after all, and they want to be married. I promise you, if God is calling you to religious life, that is the only vocation in which you will find true happiness. So, be not afraid. :)

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1292956901' post='2193822']
I totally agree.

I truly believe that if someone even has an inkling toward a religious vocation, they really should focus entirely on that, until they've come to a conclusion (with proper prayer, discernment, and spiritual direction) that they're called to religious life or not.

I come from the perspective of one who was torn between marriage/religious vocation, then seriously discerned a religious vocation, then entered a community, then left, then discovered my vocation to marriage and is happily living it out with a wonderful husband and a beautiful baby boy, thanks be to God. :) But it was EXTREMELY important that when I thought I had a religious vocation, I focused solely on that. Sure, it didn't end up being the vocation God wanted for me, but I can honestly say I have no regrets and because I discerned and entered religious life, it shaped me into the woman I am today.

I think perhaps people avoid discerning like that because they're afraid they'll be called to religious life after all, and they want to be married. I promise you, if God is calling you to religious life, that is the only vocation in which you will find true happiness. So, be not afraid. :)
[/quote]

YES, well put :like: