An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Visit!

MissScripture

MissScripture

[quote name='holly.o' timestamp='1294191157' post='2196756']
I :heart: the rose-colored walls.

& that statue of Jesus is beautiful...
[/quote]
I noticed a little plaque in the room that said something about money donated by Rose somebody, so I'm guessing that's why it was painted rose-colored. I mentioned that to my sister, and she just gave me a :| look and said, "Yeah, sure." :|

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' timestamp='1294241730' post='2196960']
wow! a very plush convent! Your sister totally looks a lot like you! :)
[/quote]
Pretty much exactly. :proud: Except I'm taller. And I don't dress like a postulant. :hehe:

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1294245552' post='2196974']
The old furniture is all from the dowries of girls that entered ages ago. They don't have furniture dowries anymore. :hehe: I wasn't able to go into the cloister, really, but from what I could tell, the sisters' living areas, although very clean and comfortable and homey, are far more simple than the areas accessed by the public. Since I wasn't there on a formal retreat, we ate in one of the guest refectories, and some of the china was mismatched every day because it had all been donated. They use what they have been given. It was a bit weird, though. Since the convent was originally a boarding school for girls, the girls tended to be upper class southern belles, and then when they entered,... well, you get the idea. Now the postulants live in the girls' old dormitories.

MS, I'm sad you didn't take a picture of the Dominic statue. I had a very.... interesting ... moment there. :blush:

When can I go back, again?
[/quote]
My husband actually did take a pic of me and my sister by the St. Dominic statue. He has more pics, but he's at home now, so I don't have access to them.

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1294264655' post='2197131']
MS: Was your sister able to go out with you for lunch or dinner? She appeared to be talking on a cell phone in one of the pix - was she able to speak to others when you were there? I am so hoping to ge to the next vocation retreat but the timing is very bad for work.
[/quote]
We were there from 9:30 to 4:30 and we eat lunch there. As far as I know, they can't leave, though we could've brought her food if we had wanted to. And she was talking to my parents in that picture. They are allowed to call family members who couldn't make it, so she called my parents and my brother and sis-in-law, that day. Last visit day, she called grandparents as well.

[quote name='AllForYourGlory' timestamp='1294265781' post='2197146']
Thanks for the picture MS... i am suprised that you didn't take any of the chapel.. even though i don't need them (i have that chapel memorized)... Thanks for posting the gazebo picture... i can't wait to see it in person in a month or so. Also, i have kinda meet your sister... When i was there for the fall Jesu she was playing on the opposing soccer team on defense, while i was on offense, so she was down at my end the whole time. She is very sweet... i am glad i didn't take her out. Last time i played soccer with the sisters i took out one of the white veils at the time... i think it was Sr. Mary Lawrence... I felt awful.. i keep apologize and she told me to stop. that i was playing hard and should do it again! Anyhow, she is professed and out of the novitiate now... I am glad you loved your visit!
[/quote]
My husband took pics of the chapel, too, but like I said above, I don't have those, right now. Well, that was of the new chapel. Neither of us took pics of the old chapel. :idontknow:
If you see my sister next time, you should tell her hello from me. :smile2: She finds it crazy how even at the convent, people know who I am, and that she's my little sister. :hehe:

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' timestamp='1294266563' post='2197162']
so.... MS, you broke some poor religious sister's dowry?!?!!! :o

:nono:

:bike:
[/quote]
:sad2: :cry2: Way to make me feel bad! :P

ameliabedelia

im glad you have a great visit and thanks for the pics!!!
Oh how i miss it there!!!!!!!!![size=2][img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/love.gif[/img][/size]

dominicansoul

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1294188589' post='2196719']
[IMG]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o102/EagleOneTheatreChick/Trip%20to%20TN%202010%20to%202011/PC290018.jpg[/IMG]
(Yes, that is my sister. :proud: :nun: )[/quote]

[size="4"]If anyone wants a perspective of the room....MS' Sister is about my height....[/size]

[quote]This is the chair I broke:
[IMG]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o102/EagleOneTheatreChick/Trip%20to%20TN%202010%20to%202011/PC290038.jpg[/IMG]
I was just sitting on it, and I shifted my weight and the front wheel popped off. I didn't sit on it again. :|
[/quote]

[size="4"]This is a sign!! A BIG SIGN....you will NEVER be a SISTER![/size]

MissScripture

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1294280177' post='2197262']
[size="4"]If anyone wants a perspective of the room....MS' Sister is about my height....[/size]

[size="4"]This is a sign!! A BIG SIGN....you will NEVER be a SISTER![/size]
[/quote]
I think my husband would be glad to hear it. ;)

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1294280419' post='2197264']
It looks like it was decorated by the Designing Women. Very old southish.
[/quote]
I get the feeling that in 150 years it hasn't changed a whole lot. It's really nice how looks like a nice continuous building, too. Not like some buildings that are added on to and added on to where it ends up with some pieces looking very dated, and out of place.

dominicansoul

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1294190393' post='2196745']

And, the one everyone has been waiting for...

*drum roll*

My hubby SLEEPING at the CONVENT!
[IMG]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o102/EagleOneTheatreChick/Trip%20to%20TN%202010%20to%202011/PC290065.jpg[/IMG]

:hehe:
[/quote]

rotfl

does Roamin' know that you posted this on here?

MissScripture

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1294285921' post='2197300']
rotfl

[/quote]
I asked him what he would give me to not post it here, and he said, "Why would I care?" so I posted it. :)

Did you see the little 3 year old running around dressed like St. Dominic while you were there? Too cute! I'll have to ask my husband if he took a picture of him.

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1294285921' post='2197300']
rotfl

[/quote]

<_< Yes I do.How I fell asleep like that I do not know.

[quote name='jruss' timestamp='1294325290' post='2197362']
Did you see the little 3 year old running around dressed like St. Dominic while you were there? Too cute! I'll have to ask my husband if he took a picture of him.
[/quote]

Yes!! Cutest thing ever!! I wanted to take a picture, but thought it might be a little weird.

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='AllForYourGlory' timestamp='1294265781' post='2197146']
i am suprised that you didn't take any of the chapel..
[/quote]

I took a bunch of them with the intent to do a panoramic picture of the chapel, but I don't think that it is going to work out.

ameliabedelia

[quote]Yes!! Cutest thing ever!! I wanted to take a picture, but thought it might be a little weird.
[/quote]

omg i know him!! he is soooo cute!!

Edited by ameliabedelia

AllForYourGlory

[quote name='ameliabedelia' timestamp='1294377032' post='2197547']
omg i know him!! he is soooo cute!!
[/quote]

AB.. how do you know him... you were not at the motherhouse a few days ago.. where you?

ameliabedelia

[quote name='AllForYourGlory' timestamp='1294412628' post='2197581']
AB.. how do you know him... you were not at the motherhouse a few days ago.. where you?
[/quote]

haha no i wasnt. you would know if i was.. believe me lol

MissScripture

[quote name='jruss' timestamp='1294325290' post='2197362']
[/quote]
That was pretty much the cutest thing EVER! I LOVED IT! My sister said she thought his name IS Dominic and that's why he was all dressed up like that.

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1294363442' post='2197509']
<_< Yes I do.How I fell asleep like that I do not know.

Yes!! Cutest thing ever!! I wanted to take a picture, but thought it might be a little weird.
[/quote]
I'm still trying to figure out the more intriguing mystery of how you fell asleep on your tripod before you fell asleep on the couch. :P

Glad you had such a lovely visit! I've only been to Nashville in August, lol, so I imagine it's nicer this time of year! I'm really glad you were able to make the trip and see her, and I know it's been really difficult for you all to be apart.

My parents went up to visit my sister sister during the week between Christmas and New Years, and I was hoping to go with them (I haven't seen her convent yet). But...the sisters were busy Monday and Tuesday, so the visit had to be Wednesday, and I was travelling to see my [i]other[/i] sister and her family that day. So, no convent visit for me yet. But when I do get a chance to see her, I'll be sure to let people know!