An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Beloved By Mother Catherine Thomas

vee

Ive only made it to page 29 but must share it with anyone else on here who hasnt read it yet. The book My Beloved: The Story of a Carmelite Nun is a vocational goldmine I am finding, and not just for Carmel but for any Order. It deals with discernment, dating, disappointment, and even what to include in a letter to a Community.

Here is an excerpt, a letter from a prioress, that I found very helpful and hope others will too. Its on page 27-28

[quote]Not long after his visit I received this letter from the Prioress:

"My dear Child:

"Your good confessor, Reverend Father FitzGerald, has told me
of your desire to be a Carmelite. . . .

". . . first of all let me say, don't worry. When the Good God
gives a vocation He gives all the graces and helps necessary to
follow it, enabling the soul to triumph over all obstacles. If the
obstacles prove insurmountable, that is sufficient evidence that
the soul's desire is not inspired by Our Lord. So cultivate a great
spirit of confidence in God and perfect abandonment to His will,
and pray fervently and constantly for the accomplishment of His
will in you. . . . Never forget that He is omnipotent.

"Write and tell me about your vocation—how long you have
desired to be a religious and why you wish to be a Carmelite,
your age, education, employment, etc. As the life of a Carmelite is
one of prayer and penance, good health is essential for admis
sion. .. .

"In the meantime, we shall pray for you and trust that you will
give us a little share in your good prayers. You will have a place
in the novena to Our Lady of Mount Carmel, which we are now
making. . . . May this dear Lady and Mother take you under her
protection and make your love for Jesus grow more ardent every
day.

Very sincerely yours in the Sacred Heart,
Teresa of Jesus, D.C.u." [/quote]

The book is available to read online here
[url="http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?view=text;size=100;id=mdp.39015026764996;page=root;seq=7"]http://babel.hathitr...page=root;seq=7[/url]

A big [size="5"]thank you[/size] to truthfinder for suggesting the book to me and for finding the link!

LadyOfSorrows

I love this book! I found it in our university library, and you're right, it's a real gem!

:love:

Unfortunately, I was only half-way through and we had to return our books before we left for home, but with this link I can start where I left off! Thanks, Vee!

teresitacarmel

Wow, thanks SO much for posting the link!!! I've been wanting to read this sooooo much! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img]

dominicansoul

i am proud to say I own an original copy of the first publication of this book... :)

and, Vee, you're right...it inspired me sooo much when I was discerning...

...too bad I was discerning Carmel at the time and not Dominicans... hahahahhaha

anyway, its sweet that it's on-line! It is gold!

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1294027467' post='2196064']
Ive only made it to page 29 but must share it with anyone else on here who hasnt read it yet. The book My Beloved: The Story of a Carmelite Nun is a vocational goldmine I am finding, and not just for Carmel but for any Order. It deals with discernment, dating, disappointment, and even what to include in a letter to a Community.

Here is an excerpt, a letter from a prioress, that I found very helpful and hope others will too. Its on page 27-28

The book is available to read online here
[url="http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?view=text;size=100;id=mdp.39015026764996;page=root;seq=7"]http://babel.hathitr...page=root;seq=7[/url]

A big [size="5"]thank you[/size] to truthfinder for suggesting the book to me and for finding the link!
[/quote]

Wow I'm so excited that this book is online! Thanks for posting the link!

I visited a Carmelite convent in Elysburg, PA, for a couple days this past September (for Our Lady's birthday!!). My Beloved was one of three books that Reverend Mother lent me...the other two were The Way of Perfection and a book called Let Him Do It about Maravillas de Jesus, O.C.D. (who I had never heard of before, but the story of her life is really amazing). I remember sitting by a pond on the grounds of the convent reading My Beloved! I loved the part I read, but I didn't have a chance to finish it...I was so busy that month getting ready to leave for school. (Probably a bad excuse!) Can't wait to finish it!

It's available in my country.
http://cgi.ebay.ph/My-Beloved-Story-Carmelite-Nun-/260713823929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_211&hash=item3cb3c13eb9#ht_2337wt_1139

I could buy it here :P and if you gals want the book, I'll be selling it. But if i liked it, it would be at my shelf.

So far i think it's good. I have Carmelite books here. I think that book should belong to the club.

An excerpt from page 38.

[quote]Many excellent directors of souls insist on making a vocation
"prospect" wait. They feel that difficulties should be placed in
the aspirant's path to determine his persevering qualities, as well
as his faith and docility in answering God's call. [/quote]

Oh wow have I ever noticed this! And its not just an SD who does so either, as Ive noticed Communities do it and so does God. In the Bible God says "because you are neither hot nor cold I will spit you out of my mouth!" He wants to make sure we are ON FIRE before He admits us into His dwellings. As I read somewhere in a comment on that passage what parent wants a listless child, or what suitor wants a passionless tepid lover? Or to put it in emotes God wants you to be :woot: for Him not :|

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1294041915' post='2196121']
i am proud to say I own an original copy of the first publication of this book... :)

[/quote]

Must. not. make. age related. comment :shutup:

[quote name='Amy G.' timestamp='1294064405' post='2196138']
Wow I'm so excited that this book is online! Thanks for posting the link!

I visited a Carmelite convent in Elysburg, PA, for a couple days this past September (for Our Lady's birthday!!). My Beloved was one of three books that Reverend Mother lent me...the other two were The Way of Perfection and a book called Let Him Do It about Maravillas de Jesus, O.C.D. (who I had never heard of before, but the story of her life is really amazing). I remember sitting by a pond on the grounds of the convent reading My Beloved! I loved the part I read, but I didn't have a chance to finish it...I was so busy that month getting ready to leave for school. (Probably a bad excuse!) Can't wait to finish it!
[/quote]

Let Him Do It... Im going to look into that one! I like hearing about which books Communities ask or suggest someone to read. Walled About With God has been suggested to me (but I have yet to read) as well as the Teresa of the Andes diary which Ive read most of, and anything by Bl Elizabeth of the Trinity which Ive also started to read. The last two books Ive been working at for months because I can only do a page or so at a time.

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1294064921' post='2196142']

So far i think it's good. I have Carmelite books here. I think that book should belong to the club.
[/quote]

I think it should too.

and I bid Teresa of Avila's autobiography together with this one at ebay.. I am really Carmelite at heart, but I won't enter a Carmelite order! :P

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1294144547' post='2196499']
I am really Carmelite at heart, but I won't enter a Carmelite order! :P
[/quote]

Yeah, just try saying "I won't" anything to God and see what happens ;)

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1294144547' post='2196499']
and I bid Teresa of Avila's autobiography together with this one at ebay.. I am really Carmelite at heart, but I won't enter a Carmelite order! :P
[/quote]

[quote name='holly.o' timestamp='1294154317' post='2196537']
Yeah, just try saying "I won't" anything to God and see what happens ;)
[/quote]

uh huh :popcorn:

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1294185735' post='2196700']
:concede:
[/quote]

Do you prefer O.Carm. or OCD?

:deal:

(let's just pretend that one still exists, okay???)