An Old School Catholic Message Board

Male Single Vocation?

tinytherese

So one of my guy friends mentioned to me that he was considering the single life for his vocation, saying that he would be consecrated by his bishop. I've heard of consecrated virgins which are women, but not anything like this for men. Is this some ancient rite that I've never heard of?

And no, he did not mean that he would be a professed brother. He specifically said "single life." He doesn't seem to want to talk about this at the moment, so I likely can't talk to him about this, especially with some issues that have been going on between us. (But things have gotten better. Hopefully, it will get better in time.)

LaPetiteSoeur

I pretty sure that the only consecrated virgins out there are women.

From the UK's vocations website: [i][quote][i]"The consecration of virgins was a long established ecclesial vocation in the early Church, particularly during the 4th century. The order fell into disuse and was restored by Pope Pius XII in his Apostolic Letter Sacra Virgintas (On Consecrated Virginity), 25th March 1954. Again, the Second Vatican Council 'revived' this ancient rite (Constitution the Sacred Liturgy:80), but it took a further 10 years or so before it became more common in this country.

The vocation of consecrated virginity is not an abdication of the responsibilities of marriage, but a resolution freely made to abstain all one's life from marriage "for the Kingdom of Heaven".

This "counter-culture" provides a powerful witness in today's world.

In order to be considered for the Order of Consecrated Virgins

[/i][list][i]A woman must be single, never having married or had children. [/i][/list][list][i]She must have a living faith, already committed to a life of prayer and service.[/i][/list][list][i]She must be financially responsible for herself. [/i][/list][list][i]She must also be emotionally and psychologically stable and mature.[/i][/list][i]She may then present herself to her Diocesan Bishop, to be considered for consecration. If accepted she will undergo a period of formation. During this time, she will

[/i][list][i]Have a spiritual director or guide [/i][/list][list][i]Be accompanied by another consecrated woman [/i][/list][i]Continue her life of apostolic service and solitary prayer"[/i]

[/quote][/i]I'm also pretty sure that he could become a diocesan hermit. But I'm not sure about the particulars of that. I'd pray for your friend and then ask him at a later date what he means.

Dieu vous benisse!

Edited for format

Edited by LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1297021411' post='2209372']
I pretty sure that the only consecrated virgins out there are women.

From the UK's vocations website: I'm also pretty sure that he could become a diocesan hermit. But I'm not sure about the particulars of that. I'd pray for your friend and then ask him at a later date what he means.

Dieu vous benisse!

Edited for format

[/quote]

It sounds to me that he might be tyalking about Diocesan hermit

He specifically said that a bishop would consecrate him and said that if that was his vocation then he knew I would be right there to support him. There would be others as well to witness the event.

Consecration of a Virgin is limited to women.

Keep in mind, however, that recognition in canon law or liturgical rubrics does not determine the legitimacy of a vocation. For example, if the gentleman in question wished to make a private vow of perpetual celibacy, the bishop could receive his vow. Private vows may be, and have been, made in a public ceremony, even though there is no set liturgical rubric for it. I know a man who began living his vow of celibacy in this way.

Your friend may be using inexact language. Consecration is something a woman receives from the Bishop ... it is something God does to her. For this reason it cannot be dispensed. Whereas a private vow is something people offer themselves to God.

Edited by Lilllabettt

It was stated to the person by a priest, which he now knows is not the best source for information that there was a rite/canonical recognition of this vocation. He knows now this is not the case.

If anything, it would be a vow of celibacy that the bishop may receive if the bishop wishes to receive it. Or it rather just may be a vocation that he may fall into---meaning if nothing else happens (marriage, etc.)

The consecration would not be public, but rather private (such as total consecration to Mary). The reception of the vow would be the public portion. This is again if this is indeed that male's vocation.