An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Sisters Of The Divine Heart Of Jesus

OnlySunshine

The Carmelite DCJ Sisters have finally posted their Winter 2011 newsletter!

http://carmelitedcj.org/newsletter/winter2011.pdf

I'm interested in learning more about them, since they are Carmelite spirituality.

Do they always pray in common or do they have some time during the day for solitude?

Oh my gosh I stayed with them for about two days and they are just wonderful...I remember that girl telling us about her dad it was so funny but I really liked it there give me a feel of a Carmelite life.

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1297176961' post='2210109']
Did you discern with them, MaterMisericordiae? I contacted their Northern Province and can't to go on a "come and see" with them.
[/quote]

Yes, I did discern with the Central Province first and then ended up going on a vocation retreat with the Northern Province. I was in the application process with the Northern Province until May 2009 when I decided to withdraw my application because I didn't feel their apostolate was right for me. My friend, Sr. Mary Elizabeth, joined the Central Province in Sept. 2009. She is now a first year novice.

When I went on a vocation retreat with the Central Province, I got very sick from the plane ride and wasn't able to participate in much. It was nasty stomach bug. :( If you would like to send me a private message, I will answer any questions you have about them as I know a lot about the order. :)

[quote name='Chapel Rat' timestamp='1297189622' post='2210168']
I'm interested in learning more about them, since they are Carmelite spirituality.

Do they always pray in common or do they have some time during the day for solitude?
[/quote]

They are what you would call "contemplative/active" which means they spend most of the day in the apostolate. They pray in common and have a day of solitude one day of the week. Most of the time, it falls on the first Sunday of the month since that is when they have Adoration from the end of the morning Mass until 6pm. They have areas in the convent that are called "cloistered" areas, but they are a separation between the Sisters and the outside people. They are wholeheartedly Carmelite as their foundress, Bl. Maria Teresa, was very much into St. Teresa of Avila's spirituality and desired to be an authentic Carmelite order. They care for the elderly and children in their apostolates. :)