An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Names

franciscanheart

I think I've said it before, but since it's a new topic I'll say it again :)

My three name choices were:

Sr. Faustina Marie
Sr. Marie Therese
Sr. Mary Magdalene

In that order; I don't exactly remember my title choices, but the name I was given was:

Sr. Mary Faustina of Our Lady of Mercy

:like:

franciscanheart

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1297918722' post='2213198']
I think I've said it before, but since it's a new topic I'll say it again :)

My three name choices were:

Sr. Faustina Marie
Sr. Marie Therese
Sr. Mary Magdalene

In that order; I don't exactly remember my title choices, but the name I was given was:

Sr. Mary Faustina of Our Lady of Mercy

:like:
[/quote]
I thought you were married. :huh:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1297916705' post='2213191']
[indent]Abram became Abraham, Sari became Sarah, Jacob became Israel, Saul became Paul, Simon became Peter. There is a long Biblical history to the name change. When a person had an encounter with God and they were to take on a role in salvation history, often God renamed them. The Annunciation, when the Angel Gabriel calls Mary “Full of Grace,” can be seen as a kind of a “naming.” Even today when a young woman marries, she takes her husband’s name. To mark the beginning of a new life with a new mission and a new intensity, the young religious chooses or is given a new name.

Sr. Clare Matthiass, CFR[/indent]

Should your daughter be called to religious life, she would be giving her life to God; she would be setting out with a new mission and purpose. The name change is just as significant as the habit and vows in some communities. It's a sign first to the woman and then to the world of her vocation and her fiat.
[/quote]
I know all of that and I understand all of that. I was merely trying to give you a different pov-- one that perhaps all of your own parents experience. When their adult children start a new chapter in their lives, it means a chapter in the parents' lives close-- why do you think parents cry at weddings? It's bittersweet. Since most of the posters here are not parents and never intend to be, I thought I would express what I think is a pretty common feeling among parents. It doesn't mean that I would in any way stand in my daughter's way should she have a religious vocation. I was just sharing a thought.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1297942824' post='2213228']
I know all of that and I understand all of that. I was merely trying to give you a different pov-- one that perhaps all of your own parents experience. When their adult children start a new chapter in their lives, it means a chapter in the parents' lives close-- why do you think parents cry at weddings? It's bittersweet. Since most of the posters here are not parents and never intend to be, I thought I would express what I think is a pretty common feeling among parents. It doesn't mean that I would in any way stand in my daughter's way should she have a religious vocation. I was just sharing a thought.
[/quote]

Homeschoolmom, thanks for sharing this! It really did give me a new perspective on what all of our parents might go through- and hopefully now we can better address our parent's concerns when we talk to them about our vocation. Praying for you and your family.

franciscanheart

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1297942824' post='2213228']
[/quote]
Understood. :)

I think having a religious name is awe.some because it means being a new man.. being a new being in Christ... It's like having a new life when one receives his new name. It's leaving behind the sinful and worldly past and being totally consecrated to Jesus and Mary.

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1297920284' post='2213201']
I thought you were married. :huh:
[/quote]

But I was a religious for 5 years, and had that name for 4 of those 5 years :)

Speaking of being married now, though, I love the DSMME's website because they list the names of all the Sisters. That is a good way to find name ideas for any future daughters!!! :like:

franciscanheart

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1297956163' post='2213277']
But I was a religious for 5 years, and had that name for 4 of those 5 years :)
[/quote]
Oooooohhhh! I think I missed that. :hehe:

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1297982898' post='2213410']

For an SSVM:

Sr. Rosa Mystica
[/quote]

I suggest, if you are going to be an SSVM, to take the name [i]Sr. Regina sine labe originali concepta[/i] :P

FutureSister2009

I've got a few in mind.

My first choice is Sr. Monica Therese of the Infant Jesus.
My second choice is Sr. M. Jacinta Bernadette of the Immaculate Heart OR the Immaculate Conception
My third choice is Sr. Gemma Cecilia